IGNORED

Hakeeb Adelakun

Bristol Rob

21 minutes ago, Super said:

He was terrible from the little we saw from him. Hopefully down to injuries etc. Maybe with a god pre season we may see the best of him next season.

I wouldn’t say terrible. 

He was very average the games he has played, but he has struggled with injuries and lack of game time. 

Think a pre-season could do him well, and even a loan in league one for half a season too. 

His development has been stalled for a year- his potential resale value also diminished.

One possible explanation for his lack of gametime is financial. Another is technical.

As we know, though we got him on a fee, we actually owed Scunthorpe compensation . Took until late February- early March for it to be settled. Us playing him regularly, or at this stage more realistically loaning him to a good League One side.

Well if he shone, then his value would increase- the cost to us would increase. Scunthorpe would be less likely to accept our offer and it may go to a tribunal- if it goes to a tribunal then we don't know how much we would have to pay, they would decide albeit both sides would put their case.

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Why are people mocking our young players policy? 

Youngsters improve usually. He is very raw and I’m sure he will get better and more accustomed to what we need.

We either sign these players young and help them improve or we throw money at older players. I know what I would rather happen.

Exactly this. We are not going to throw money at stupid prices and wages on older players as you generally won't find any value. Obviously some won't make the cut but if we find a few gems then that is job done. The ones who seem to constantly take the pee out of "one for the future" don't seem to realise how you have to become sustainable to operate - and that isn't chucking money non stop chasing the dream (Brum, QPR, Sheff Weds, Villa etc etc).

Nothing to say Adulkan won't make it in the Championship just yet after a handful of appearances. 

4 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

He's 23 in June is that really that young these days 

Considering he came from the League below and would need time to adapt to this league, then yes it is young and he has plenty of time on his side. COD, Brownhill, Eliasson were no great shakes when they first came here.

8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Why are people mocking our young players policy? 

Youngsters improve usually. He is very raw and I’m sure he will get better and more accustomed to what we need.

We either sign these players young and help them improve or we throw money at older players. I know what I would rather happen.

This is the LJ/SL strategy. Some will come off such as Brownhill, O'Dowda, and Eliasson. I would even put Webster in the "buy them young and develop them" category. Same if we can get Dasilva and whatever we do with Academy products like Kelly, Vyner and Semenyo.

SOD was charged to do the same thing, but struggled with the results. However nearly half of our first team players last season had got their starts with us under him, including Bryan & Reid. If you add in Flint's transfer fee to those two, that's a tidy near £20 million profit just there, so within the limits of FFP, it's hard to argue that it's not a sensible choice. Top up with some judicious loans and you may be able to create a half decent team at significantly less cost.

And it's hardly a new strategy. The all conquering Liverpool team of the 70s was usually made up of home grown players and youngsters plucked from obscurity e.g. Keegan, Hansen etc. The one big buy they did make, which was inspired, was Dalglish to replace Keegan.

Whether Adelakun or Eisa will make it at this level, we will have to wait and see, but in the scheme of things, the outlays both in fees and wages are not huge, so they are hardly a huge gamble.

4 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

This is the LJ/SL strategy. Some will come off such as Brownhill, O'Dowda, and Eliasson. I would even put Webster in the "buy them young and develop them" category. Same if we can get Dasilva and whatever we do with Academy products like Kelly, Vyner and Semenyo.

SOD was charged to do the same thing, but struggled with the results. However nearly half of our first team players last season had got their starts with us under him, including Bryan & Reid. If you add in Flint's transfer fee to those two, that's a tidy near £20 million profit just there, so within the limits of FFP, it's hard to argue that it's not a sensible choice. Top up with some judicious loans and you may be able to create a half decent team at significantly less cost.

And it's hardly a new strategy. The all conquering Liverpool team of the 70s was usually made up of home grown players and youngsters plucked from obscurity e.g. Keegan, Hansen etc. The one big buy they did make, which was inspired, was Dalglish to replace Keegan.

Whether Adelakun or Eisa will make it at this level, we will have to wait and see, but in the scheme of things, the outlays both in fees and wages are not huge, so they are hardly a huge gamble.

Exactly. People have written off Taylor Moore after seeing a few minutes of him a couple of years ago. 

Jury is obviously still out but I see him being a top Championship centre back in a couple of years as he will keep improving.

We are getting a lot more right than wrong for sure

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

He was dreadful at Leeds although looked slightly better in the other couple of games he was involved in. 

He's still only young so has plenty of time to improve

I didn't go to Leeds, but did at Ipswich, and he did not have a good game at all - his touch completely let him down, decision making was too slow and he was subbed early.

There are plenty of players at his age who are stepping up in the Championship - I think it goes to show what a tough standard it is.

There were always glimpses with Eliasson but the jury is out here...

People forget that last season's top Opta rated players from League 1 that is the most consistent performers were the much touted Jack Marriott from Peterborough and second on that list was Hakeeb Adelakun

There is more to come from him, a lot more.

4 hours ago, wood_red said:

Considering he came from the League below and would need time to adapt to this league, then yes it is young and he has plenty of time on his side. COD, Brownhill, Eliasson were no great shakes when they first came here.

Agree, plus he was out injured long term at the start of the season which will have delayed his progress. 

2 hours ago, joenaldo said:

Tbh should of just loaned him straight back to Scunthorpe or whoever and Eisa to Peterborough (who were desperate to sign him) maybe just half a season.

Anyway either may pop off in the playoff final and get us up  ??

How would that have affected the fee we had to pay for him though? I believe it was a factor for the club.

Bear in mind that though he was signed on a free, his age and the fact he was offered a contract meant we had to compensate Scunthorpe. It took until first week of March for this to be agreed.

Had he been tearing up League One, would this not have risked proving more costly to us? Financially- Scunthorpe would have pushed and pushed and it would likely have gone to a Tribunal to independently set the fee.

OTOH, would that have been worth it had his development not been quite likely stalled for a season? 

This is just one of the trade-offs a club has to consider now. Read a range of figures from £425k-£1m. Actual fee seems to be undisclosed but those were the speculated figures.

Scunthorpe United can announce that compensation has been agreed with Bristol City for Hakeeb Adelakun, avoiding the need to go to a tribunal.

The attacking midfielder made a total of 169 appearances for the Iron over a six-year spell, including 60 league starts, scoring a total of 20 goals.

We would like to take the opportunity to place on record our thanks for Hakeeb’s efforts while with the club, and wish him all the best for the future.

I think the other game he played was Stoke where I thought he did ok, showed willingness to come off either wing and can use either foot. 

He is one I hope can have a good pre-season as this year he got injured in a behind closed doors game v Yeovil and was out for 12-14 weeks. Missing pre-season is difficult to catch up. 

Plus all of the comments above the keeping compensation payment down!!!

1 hour ago, swanker said:

Not if you play for Ajax!

I have mentioned in another post that Ajax have finally realised that they needed experienced heads to help out their talented youngsters and they are now reaping the benefits.

Age has nothing to do with skill but experience has a helluva lot to do with maximising skill .

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I have mentioned in another post that Ajax have finally realised that they needed experienced heads to help out their talented youngsters and they are now reaping the benefits.

Age has nothing to do with skill but experience has a helluva lot to do with maximising skill .

like the Ajax side under Van Gaal. Full of kids with Danny Blind pulling the strings in the midfield. Fantastic side that hardly ever lost and won two European cups. This new lot look half tidy as well.  It will be interesting to see how Spurs get on against them?

Archived