IGNORED

Hakeeb Adelakun

Bristol Rob

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He is one I hope can have a good pre-season as this year he got injured in a behind closed doors game v Yeovil and was out for 12-14 weeks. Missing pre-season is difficult to catch up. 

A good pre-season can be just the catalyst require to really kick on. Just look at Bobby Reid who really grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and went from strength to strength. 

9 hours ago, RedDave said:

Why are people mocking our young players policy? 

Youngsters improve usually. He is very raw and I’m sure he will get better and more accustomed to what we need.

We either sign these players young and help them improve or we throw money at older players. I know what I would rather happen.

It’s the same people who said Brownhill, Pack, O’Dowda, Reid etc. Weren’t up to it

We will/have made a profit on all of them.

I can see COD being sold on at a profit in the summer with the money put towards strengthening centre midfield.  Eliasson will then be our first choice winger with Adelakun challenging from the bench if he’s impressed around the first team squad this season.  At least that’s how the ‘project’ works in practice ?

11 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I think it’s important to note that we saw nothing of Eliasson last season as we were developing him. 

He now looks pretty reasonable. IF the same thing happens to HA then all is well. 

There is far too much common sense in this comment, shame on you.

People bang on about resigning Adomah yet bash the club for trying to develop the next one. Adelakun has all the physical attributes you want in a championship wide player. Also, based on his League One highlights, you can see he has pretty good footballing ability too. Direct, quick feet for a taller player a decent cross and decent finisher

His problem this year has been a major injury. He had a Liam Walsh type injury start of the season. Walsh was out from November til April. So 5-6 month injury. Now take that with how slowly LJ likes to integrate players(usually young) into the squad. Think the fact we have seen him at all this season shows how keen LJ is to get him on the pitch. Yet instead forcing it, he took a step back(my interpretation) and protecting HA. Getting him in training for next season. 

Imo, we will be grateful for signing him in the summer. Not for this season but as O’Dowda’s replacement. COD will be pure profit while we paid some compensation for HA. Think HA may even be a slightly better prospect based on clips I have seen. 

Eliasson is a great example of our policy. Was talented enough to get 20 odd games last season. Got around 30 this season. When he was bought LJ talked about getting a Knockaert type player. Through this season we have all seen glimpses of that talent and I’d bet we see more of it next season. 

My only problem with our policy is we do the 3+1 deals. In Eliasson example we don’t see the best of him until year 3. At this point, if he has the type of season expected, his playing future lies in his hands. The club have to take the option and sell with a year remaining(also see O’Dowda). Give the young players 4+1 deals so we get more out of them. Also means halfway through they are more likely to ask for a better deal knowing the could be on the initial wage another 2.5 years. Better to take pay rise with city than to wait a year and a half on 3k a week before a possible sale. 

On 23/04/2019 at 12:55, Dullmoan Tone said:

I didn't go to Leeds, but did at Ipswich, and he did not have a good game at all - his touch completely let him down, decision making was too slow and he was subbed early.

There are plenty of players at his age who are stepping up in the Championship - I think it goes to show what a tough standard it is.

There were always glimpses with Eliasson but the jury is out here...

Hope im wrong but makes Bas savage look good

1 hour ago, xerox6060 said:

Unless I've missed something, whats going on here ? injury much worse than reported? , some off field issue?  I remember reading a national paper report 14 months ago saying he was one of the best value signings from the lower leagues ....

Not injured - been playing for U23s

Tis a strange subject when you think about it, because surely he must have been deemed good enough, or potentially good enough for City to sign him.

You'd imagine the club spent quite a few man hours and resources making sure he was able to step up to the Championship.

I can't claim to have ever seen him play for Scunthorpe, but I'd presume he was quite a good player.

So what has happened here? 

What on earth were the scouts playing at with this signing?  And Eisa?  And Watkins? 

15 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

See Engvall, Gustav 

Very similar apart from this wasn’t such a big punt, with the fee being less and the player being used to English football.

That being said, his performance away at Leeds last season was worse than anything engvall every did for us...

Unsure we did the best thing for his development by not loaning him in January to a high end League One side. 

Similar could be said for Eisa. Correct me if wrong but Charlton were in for him? That could've been desirable!

Watkins was just a poor signing, though I suppose LJ gambled on getting the Barnsley version, getting the best out of him and in particular his 2016/17 form, and saw £1m as a reasonable punt.

If he isn’t deemed good enough for championship level, I find it amazing no one from league 1 feel like he would benefit them in anyway.

We can’t be keeping him for just the numbers as there is no point.

Maybe we see this as a ‘Bolasie’ type situation and don’t want to lose him on the cheap to when actually, with a bit of polishing, our rough diamond could be worth £30m!

18 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Tis a strange subject when you think about it, because surely he must have been deemed good enough, or potentially good enough for City to sign him.

You'd imagine the club spent quite a few man hours and resources making sure he was able to step up to the Championship.

I can't claim to have ever seen him play for Scunthorpe, but I'd presume he was quite a good player.

So what has happened here? 

What on earth were the scouts playing at with this signing?  And Eisa?  And Watkins? 

All of your examples are relatively cheap (in today’s market) punts that could go either way. I’ve got no problem with these types of signings. Some work, some don’t. 

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Very similar apart from this wasn’t such a big punt, with the fee being less and the player being used to English football.

That being said, his performance away at Leeds last season was worse than anything engvall every did for us...

That Leeds game was his first appearance for the club, after a spell out injured & didn't even play any reserve minutes leading up to it! Even then, that day the whole team looked bad. 

I'd back him to go on and have a decent career at this level based on his time at Scunthorpe, I just don't think it'll be with us. 

21 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

That Leeds game was his first appearance for the club, after a spell out injured & didn't even play any reserve minutes leading up to it! Even then, that day the whole team looked bad. 

I'd back him to go on and have a decent career at this level based on his time at Scunthorpe, I just don't think it'll be with us. 

Even still, he looked like a downs player who had been given the opportunity to play at Elland Road, he was abysmal at best. 

There has to be a decent footballer there somewhere, I just question whether he has the attitude to want to show it

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

As I recall we were not playing so badly until the Brownhill 2 yellows- we were low on confidence but performing respectably.

Nonetheless confidence in the side was low and as you say, first appearance after injury- unfair to judge on this in isolation. Besides Leeds a very good side yet we were competing okay at 11 v 11.

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Even still, he looked like a downs player who had been given the opportunity to play at Elland Road, he was abysmal at best. 

There has to be a decent footballer there somewhere, I just question whether he has the attitude to want to show it

I believe other clubs were interested in him in summer 2018? Not all come off of course but his development has surely stalled this last year or so, through a mix of injuries, lack of January loan, lack of gametime perse.

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

He has ability and showed it in flashes in the U23 game recently

I wonder whether he’s found the switch from first team player / pick (At Scunthorpe)  to U23 player here, a hard thing to take and overcome

Psychologically to have to prove yourself at a different level , and to overcome the jump in quality , including in competitors for your place,  another challenge.

Our getting the best out of our players is very mixed but ,

It may be logical that a few fall short in this challenge,  mentally more so than, in technical ability ?

Adelakun is a strange one. He doesn't appear to be anywhere near the first team, and playing in our u23s hardly seems beneficial. I'm surprised we didn't ship him out, if only on loan. There could of course have been interest but it needs to be right for all parties, and perhaps it was from the wrong clubs or the terms didn't fit. 

12 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Adelakun is a strange one. He doesn't appear to be anywhere near the first team, and playing in our u23s hardly seems beneficial. I'm surprised we didn't ship him out, if only on loan. There could of course have been interest but it needs to be right for all parties, and perhaps it was from the wrong clubs or the terms didn't fit. 

Yes I am dumbfounded as to why he hasn't gone out on loan. Perhaps there were no league one offers? (unlikely). Perhaps LJ thought he could play a part this season, either way he needs games.

I fail to see how a L1 loan benefits us or him. He has over 100 games at that level and financially he won’t be that big a wedge. 

He needs to either step up in training, be sold or have a lower champ or upper half Scottish team take a punt on loan. I am not sure the last bit will happen. 

Think his talent seems a waste at present. He has all the physical attributes you want. Even technically I think he looks competent but just doesn’t seem to be impressing LJ. 

Archived