IGNORED

What I don’t get.....

BigAl&Toby

Winners at Sheffield Utd. Winners in the rain at Middlesbrough.

3-0 up after 15 minutes against West Brom.

We finish 3-2 with the Snake getting booked for pissing about ?. All is good. We’re back on.

Fast forward a few days.

Effectively the same players and we get a point from Reading and nuffink from Sheffield Wednesday.

Highlight of the day was a pint of Farmers Blonde and the humbling experience of Lepping Lane.

How can that be? 

I’m as confident though now as I was when  Dick interviewed us for RB before the game.

Aden we’s a cumming.....

1 minute ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

We finish 3-2 with the Snake getting booked for pissing about ?. All is good. We’re back on.

Fast forward a few days.

Effectively the same players and we get a point from Reading and nuffink from Sheffield Wednesday.

Highlight of the day was a pint of Farmers Blonde and the humbling experience of Lepping Lane.

How can that be? 

I’m as confident though now as I was when  Dick interviewed us for RB before the game.

Aden we’s a cumming.....

I think it says as much about the division as a whole, and the way the opposition plays, as it does about us.

Everyone wants to attribute everything to what we do right or wrong.  If we win it's because we played well, if we lose it's because we played poorly.  Of course there is some truth in that, but it's only a partial truth.  It's also about how well the opposition play - or not - and how they set up against us.  One trend we can see is that we tend to do better against the better teams, where it's perhaps a more open game.  We particularly struggle at home to the lesser sides who take a more defensive approach, show little ambition themselves and make it hard for us to play.  Of course it's down to us to find a way to beat such teams, so it's partly due to our own failings when we don't win.  But people also need to recognise the fact that sometimes it's because the opposition has played well or set themselves up effectively to get a result against us - irrespective of their place in the table.  There is also not much difference in quality between most teams in the division, so games are decided by small margins and whoever finds the right tactics to win on the day.

I've seen talk on twitter about City "bottling it" - I simply don't believe that to be the case.  We've beaten Boro, Sheffield United and West Brom in the last month.  I don't believe we're bottling it, I believe we're a slighty-above-average team playing in a division where we are capable of beating most teams, and most teams are capable of beating us.

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

Tough league, small margins ete etc

But, I think you'd be mad not to recognise that we've a consistency problem. Luckily so do Derby, Boro and a number of teams below.

Unfortunately, consistency is what you need to win the play-offs and even if we make it we'll be going in with either Leeds or Sheff United and Villa on an insane winning streak, going to be immensely tough for us to get promoted, I just don't think we have the quality.

24 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Fast forward a few days.

How can that be? 

Aden we’s a cumming.....

That's the Championship. If the trend was to follow we'd beat Derby Saturday, here's hoping...

Christ. That’s Johnson Babble....

Even if it’s so why does that mean that the same players turn up and **** me we’re 1 up in the first minute but can hardly get a shot on target at Hillsborough?

Ok not robots I accept but with so much resting on it why oh why are we so consistently inconsistent?

And yep. I know others are too. But I don’t give a flying **** about them.

I want to see passion. Commitment. Players who are putting in a shift, not those who seem so capable of appearing not to give a shit.

Out of the blocks like ******* whippets please. For 3 more games. Then we might be blessed with 2 more and maybe a third....

If not lads enjoy your jollies......

7 minutes ago, Spike said:

Unfortunately, consistency is what you need to win the play-offs and even if we make it we'll be going in with either Leeds or Sheff United and Villa on an insane winning streak, going to be immensely tough for us to get promoted, I just don't think we have the quality.

I think Leeds have blown it now. Dont Blades just need to beat Ipswich at home to go up? At least they're on a downer

24 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Christ. That’s Johnson Babble....

Even if it’s so why does that mean that the same players turn up and **** me we’re 1 up in the first minute but can hardly get a shot on target at Hillsborough?

Ok not robots I accept but with so much resting on it why oh why are we so consistently inconsistent?

And yep. I know others are too. But I don’t give a flying **** about them.

I want to see passion. Commitment. Players who are putting in a shift, not those who seem so capable of appearing not to give a shit.

Out of the blocks like ******* whippets please. For 3 more games. Then we might be blessed with 2 more and maybe a third....

If not lads enjoy your jollies......

It might be illuminating to go and do some analysis of other sides, results, margins...it's the nature of the beast this season.

More open games can often suit us too, tactically speaking but it's a fine balancing act.

Regardless, we should have a couple more wins at home yes. Interestingly our home record? Very similar to that of Middlesbrough.

43 minutes ago, Spike said:

The consistency is a weird thing to get the head around. If we did sneak in to the playoffs we would defo be on some sort of run and wouldn't surprise me to keep the run going, also wouldn't be a shock to lose both the legs and be out! Would love to get in as nobody would expect us to do anything at all, which would be very good for us with some more pressure on our opponents. Beat Villa in the final with a dodgy penalty would be absolute ecstasy. 

Perspective my friends, perspective.

Living in West London, my daughter has despite my best efforts become a Brentford fan (could be worse I suppose) & as we live very local to Griffin Park and getting to Bristol at weekends is tricky, we have seen a dozen or so games at Griffin Park this season, including Leeds last night.

On paper & on pre-Easter form, that should have been a tough but winnable game for Leeds, but they were taken apart (much to my delight) in the end by a slick, fluid & resilient Brentford and crumbled under the pressure of being in the hunt for an automatic spot.

Across the season we have seen Brentford beat Villa, draw with Norwich & Derby (and lose to City of course ?, had to sit on my hands in the Family Stand for that one !!) so I guess my point as someone who sees a fair amount of non-City Championship games this year, is that it really is the case that fine (often very fine) margins make the difference in the majority of games in our division.

Just about all of the teams we have seen this year really are capable of beating or at least drawing with one another on any given day, and even reasonable levels of consistency are no guarantee of 3 points. For that to happen, a team needs to be better than their opponents in every department for every minute of a match every week and even then certain elements of good fortune can still swing the balance (match officials, lucky bounces etc). So many teams are so close in quality choosing between them can be like splitting hairs.

I still absolutely believe City have what it takes to secure 6th spot (and frankly having seen Leeds last night i would quite fancy playing them if that was what they could offer), but I don't buy into the "we were crap thats why we lost/drew" school of thought as being a given in those recent games we dropped points.

The Championship is renowned for being the toughest league in the world to get out of (upwards) and this season is yet another reminder this is not just a truism but the harsh reality of second tier English football.

If our players were consistently playing very well every game, they would not be playing for us; they would be playing in the Premier League, or at least at one of the big boys in the Championship. So the inconsistency is unsurprising.

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Fast forward a few days.

How can that be? 

Aden we’s a cumming.....

Didn’t finish our chances against Reading. If we had scored one we would have won 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Regardless, we should have a couple more wins at home yes. Interestingly our home record? Very similar to that of Middlesbrough

Therein lies the reason why we are stuck with Boro and Derby vying for the last play off spot. Home form usually either keeps you relatively safe but if you can marry it to decent away form you are in with a shout of top 6.Whilst we are still in with a shout with 3 games left to play shows how good our away form really is. 

40 minutes ago, eardun said:

If our players were consistently playing very well every game, they would not be playing for us; they would be playing in the Premier League, or at least at one of the big boys in the Championship. So the inconsistency is unsurprising.

That's a strange defeatist stance - you can have and expect consistency in the championship (without needing someone to be world or premier league class) just as you can have no consistency in the Prem (see Everton, Burnley and Fulham).

I think we are right to expect our players to be consistent in the Championship - it doesn't mean we expect them to have to win each game, we will always meet better players or teams.

I wrote off our play-off chances following the Ipswich bore draw, then 2 weeks later, hallelujah, the Blades and Boro' were put to the sword, on their own turf.

This season has been full of surprises and with a West Brom-like performance this Saturday we can go into the final away fixtures filled with confidence.

We still have a great chance to make 6th spot. 

1 hour ago, CityCiderEd said:

Therein lies the reason why we are stuck with Boro and Derby vying for the last play off spot. Home form usually either keeps you relatively safe but if you can marry it to decent away form you are in with a shout of top 6.Whilst we are still in with a shout with 3 games left to play shows how good our away form really is. 

Best away form at this level for 113 years. #SpiritOfThickitt

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wrong, as usual - you posted: ‘if we’d scored one against Reading we’d have won...’ - we did score one, we drew 1-1 - but you’ll never accept you can be ever so slightly incorrect on occasions ...

I have already commented on it above. Read the whole thread before commenting, KW

4 hours ago, RedDave said:

I have already commented on it above. Read the whole thread before commenting, KW

Your comment above just says: “Scored first” - not very clear is it?

Could be interpreted/misinterpreted in many ways - eg, we didn’t score first - we went 0-1 down - or are you gonna argue against that too? And why should one be expected to read a whole thread before commenting on any post? Do you do that? If do, you’ve got waaay too much time on your hands ...

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Your comment above just says: “Scored first” - not very clear is it?

Could be interpreted/misinterpreted in many ways - eg, we didn’t score first - we went 0-1 down - or are you gonna argue against that too? And why should one be expected to read a whole thread before commenting on any post? Do you do that? If do, you’ve got waaay too much time on your hands ...

Oddball

7 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Oddball

Really?! If you can’t see how your comment ‘Scored first’ could be misinterpreted (especially as we didn’t score first) then perhaps your comment above should be aimed at yourself ..... no need to fall out though RD - I obviously didn’t understand your “if we’d have scored one against Reading we’d have won” post - especially as we did score one. But never mind, let’s leave it there ...

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Really?! If you can’t see how your comment ‘Scored first’ could be misinterpreted (especially as we didn’t score first) then perhaps your comment above should be aimed at yourself ..... no need to fall out though RD - I obviously didn’t understand your “if we’d have scored one against Reading we’d have won” post - especially as we did score one. But never mind, let’s leave it there ...

I wrote that after talking about the chances we missed. 

If we had scored one (of the chances) we would have won. 

Dont understand (a) why you need it spelling out as it was obvious what I meant and (b) why you needed to be a pedant about it. 

Archived