IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Well the scoreline was an acceptable one and no doubt in the future we will be told how 10,000 rovers fans turned up, had the Chelsea hooligans on the run and their team battered Chelsea"s legendary team.

The truth is Rovers benefitted from the bigger clubs indifference to the EFL Cup as they did against Cardiff and as Wycombe and Scunny nearly did against us. Still we are there in the chance to meet a big team again,( although i fully expect an away draw at Gillingham ).

I hope the not quite sell out away crowd enjoyed their day. Now on to the glamour of Swindon, whilst we tackle Aston Villa as equals.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

We took 70 to our match, which the club seems happy to publicise. We should look at our own support before mocking them lot 

Bit of perspective needed :laugh: a game 4 hours away on a Tuesday night in the league cup. Plus Radio Bristol said the attendance was closer to 150.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

We took 70 to our match, which the club seems happy to publicise. We should look at our own support before mocking them lot 

Why? 

We fielded a reserve team in a cup we never do well in (especially in recent years), fans have to travel a good 4 hours plus for a midweek game... did you expect us to take 000's?

Gas took 4000 in what was their biggest cup game probably ever... or since they returned to the FL. 

With a respectable performance from the team and an impressive turn out from the fans this was a good night for Rovers.

And it must have been a wonderful occasion for Wael Al-Qadi as well

Our side are desperately hoping he is not simply a football obsessive with a wealthy family behind him who is achieving his moment of fame now but without any real ability or resources to make Rovers a better club in the longer term. 

As we ride the roller coaster of this riveting Rovers-City rivalry let's make sure we have a lot of laughs along the way. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Sargent Pepper said:

Well the scoreline was an acceptable one and no doubt in the future we will be told how 10,000 rovers fans turned up, had the Chelsea hooligans on the run and their team battered Chelsea"s legendary team.

The truth is Rovers benefitted from the bigger clubs indifference to the EFL Cup as they did against Cardiff and as Wycombe and Scunny nearly did against us. Still we are there in the chance to meet a big team again,( although i fully expect an away draw at Gillingham ).

I hope the not quite sell out away crowd enjoyed their day. Now on to the glamour of Swindon, whilst we tackle Aston Villa as equals.

You know after this plucky defeat, they'll be thinking L1 is in the bag now ;)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Bit of perspective needed :laugh: a game 4 hours away on a Tuesday night in the league cup. Plus Radio Bristol said the attendance was closer to 150.

Yup fair play to those who went!

Rovers fans always seem to forget that we averaged more than them when we were in the same league unless bar a couple years where we were at the low end of the table and we were near the top. Hopefully some of the older boys can confirm! 

I say hats off to them because they are not a complete joke of a club anymore.

3 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yup fair play to those who went!

Rovers fans always seem to forget that we averaged more than them when we were in the same league unless bar a couple years where we were at the low end of the table and we were near the top. Hopefully some of the older boys can confirm! 

I say hats off to them because they are not a complete joke of a club anymore.

They pretty much still are...

2 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Why? 

We fielded a reserve team in a cup we never do well in (especially in recent years), fans have to travel a good 4 hours plus for a midweek game... did you expect us to take 000's?

Gas took 4000 in what was their biggest cup game probably ever... or since they returned to the FL. 

I'm not knocking either, I get how far away our game was tonight and that it was one of rovers biggest games in years but Why knock them for it? I know it's only banter between fans but surely the time to knock them is when we've taken big support when they've only taken a small amount. As much as every hates to admit it both Bristol clubs are well supported for their respective positions and the trips to Wembley prove this.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bert tann said:

With a respectable performance from the team and an impressive turn out from the fans this was a good night for Rovers.

And it must have been a wonderful occasion for Wael Al-Qadi as well

Our side are desperately hoping he is not simply a football obsessive with a wealthy family behind him who is achieving his moment of fame now but without any real ability or resources to make Rovers a better club in the longer term. 

As we ride the roller coaster of this riveting Rovers-City rivalry let's make sure we have a lot of laughs along the way. 

Oh we have Bert, over the last three years we have laughed, and then laughed some more.

27 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

You sound as stupid as the Gasheads bleating about attendances on social media.

Its not unusual for lower league clubs to pack out the away end of a Premiership ground for a 'glamour' cup tie. Chelsea is hardly difficult to get to either. 

Fair play and all that for taking 4K to Chelsea, we'd have done the same. In the league which is both clubs 'bread and butter' we easily beat them on home attendances and on average take more away than them every year that I can remember, so no, I don't think we need to look at our own support based on how many we took to Scunthorpe on a Tuesday night, 2nd round league cup match.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

You sound as stupid as the Gasheads bleating about attendances on social media.

Its not unusual for lower league clubs to pack out the away end of a Premiership ground for a 'glamour' cup tie. Chelsea is hardly difficult to get to either. 

Fair play and all that for taking 4K to Chelsea, we'd have done the same. In the league which is both clubs 'bread and butter' we easily beat them on home attendances and in average take more away than them every year that I can remember, so no, I don't think we need to look at our own support based on how many we took to Scunthorpe on a Tuesday night, 2nd round league cup match.

Read my post above

4 hours ago, Iron Man said:

Got to laugh, "the only difference".. this is what they tell themselves every night slowly sobbing away.

They got the club they fully deserve. Long may it continue.

Definitely not slowly sobbing away. . As I say .. most of us are happy we're still allowed to stand at matches and the pisser is shite .. love it ...

Edited by Philgas
Wrong word from predictive text

9 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

I'm not knocking either, I get how far away our game was tonight and that it was one of rovers biggest games in years but Why knock them for it? I know it's only banter between fans but surely the time to knock them is when we've taken big support when they've only taken a small amount. As much as every hates to admit it both Bristol clubs are well supported for their respective positions and the trips to Wembley prove this.

Pretty sure the "knocking" is taking the piss out of them bigging up their support (once again) to numbers that just aren't true. Like the tweet saying they'd have taken 8000

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

Read my post above

Fair enough, I shouldn't have called you stupid. Although there is no comparison between a trip to Stamford Bridge and a trip to Glandford Park...with all due respect to Scunthorpe.

Thing is, we take 5000 to West Brom and loads of them accuse us of being 'plastic'. I wonder how many they had at Southend on Saturday and I believe they haven't even sold out Swindon yet :rofl2br::rofl2br:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oldrosie said:

"we easily beat them on home attendances"

Pretty obvious why ... but I suspect if you look at % of capacity they'd easily beat us ... 

No actually, certainly not last season when we had the best % attendance to capacity in the Championship.

Anyway, as we're from the same City of around half a million people and they're always keen to tell us how well supported they are, maybe they can enlighten us as to why they rarely sell out their much smaller ground...even when they're doing well.

Or why we've had better home attendances on average for 50 of the last 51 years? You could even give us your theory 'Oldrosie'.

Over to you...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Fair enough, I shouldn't have called you stupid. Although there is no comparison between a trip to Stamford Bridge and a trip to Glandford Park...with all due respect to Scunthorpe.

Thing is, we take 5000 to West Brom and loads of them accuse us of being 'plastic'. I wonder how many they had at Southend on Saturday and I believe they haven't even sold out Swindon yet :rofl2br::rofl2br:

I'm sure they'll exaggerate the figure like they always do...

My particular favourite is when a Gas Lag was crowing about taking 3500 to Oxford... the official figure was 1200.