IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

keep them heads burred in the sand gasheads,

Some one want to point out how much interest we paid on lansdown's various loans over the years (the answer is close to zero I think)

nottsgas

nottsgas Avatar

Posting Level

Next Level in 24 posts
48 minutes ago
Post Options

Post by nottsgas on 48 minutes ago

bluebutterfly Avatar
Can anybody with financial know how explain the owners loan against the mem and paying themselves interest from it in a positive way?
What happens when the £10m runs out and were still losing money?
Why is dwayne sports making money from interest on the loan against the stadium?

I don't think it's anything untoward, if we (rovers) take out a loan we'll pay on interest on it- no matter who the lender is. In this case it's the Al Qadi's themselves, they wouldn't be where they are now if they didn't charge interest on loans! I guess their bank has its own BoD who they answer to there who'd be asking questions if they gave rovers a special deal.

Islamic banks don’t charge interest. It’s absolutely forbidden. When I last looked the Al Qadis were shareholders in an Islamic Bank.

It’s another reason not to understand the way this whole thing is set up.

Edited by Bianconeri
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

You mean the game where his substitutions were met with chants of “you don’t know what you’re doing” and then his substitutes linked up to create and score the winning goal..?!

I think he was entitled to that reaction..! 

....we'd lost 8 and drawn 1 of the previous 9 games before we struggled to beat rock bottom Rotherham at home...do you think that record allows him smug looks at the crowd and obvious goading and gloating?! After the run of form we were on, the crowd's obvious frustration was totally understandable. 

And the subs 'linked up' for the winning goal? A shot from one was blocked/saved by the keeper and the other got the rebound. Is that 'linking up'?! I suppose it could be argued that it is, but 'linked up' suggests a move that was a bit more skilful and pre-meditated than a blocked shot which fell to one of our guys.

Anyway, that's history, last season was awful....let's carry on enjoying this one!

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....we'd lost 8 and drawn 1 of the previous 9 games before we struggled to beat rock bottom Rotherham at home...do you think that record allows him smug looks at the crowd and obvious goading and gloating?! After the run of form we were on, the crowd's obvious frustration was totally understandable. 

And the subs 'linked up' for the winning goal? A shot from one was blocked/saved by the keeper and the other got the rebound. Is that 'linking up'?! I suppose it could be argued that it is, but 'linked up' suggests a move that was a bit more skilful and pre-meditated than a blocked shot which fell to one of our guys.

Anyway, that's history, last season was awful....let's carry on enjoying this one!

In all fairness those substitutions changed the game as we suddenly looked dangerous going forward which up to that point wasn't the case. I'm guessing LJ was letting out some frustrations the same way the crowd had when they were chanting that he didn't know what he was doing.

Bad times....the Gas were loving it, we were DEFINITELY going down and they were DEFINITELY going up with Dopey at the helm. How did that work out in the end? :yawn:

HAHA FTG!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bianconeri said:

Islamic banks don’t charge interest. It’s absolutely forbidden. When I last looked the Al Qadis were shareholders in an Islamic Bank.

It’s another reason not to understand the way this whole thing is set up.

That would explain why they’ve got no money to invest..!

11 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Their website suggests that they charge interest on loans.

http://www.ajib.com/en/node/163 

That is very odd because Shar’ia compliance would mean not charging interest. In practice Islamic financial institutions often quote ‘interest equiivalents’. I’m not familiar with the flavour of compliance used in Jordan but the basic principles tend to be similar across the Islamic Finance market.

There are some highly complex ‘compliant’ products that mirror conventional products. Have a look at the OECD, IFSB and World Bank reports if you are very bored.

My point is that the overt quotation of interest suggests that Dwayne borrowed the money from a source other than ‘the family’.

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

That would explain why they’ve got no money to invest..!

They just operate differently to conventional banks and generate income in other ways. If anything they have greater liquidity due to principles of risk sharing and the prohibition of speculation.

I found this if it helps:-

Islamic Finance is based on the Profit-Sharing principle. In other words the parties are Owners of the Asset/Venture for which the loan is being advanced.

It is important to understand that Islamic Banking is based on a strong value system. It lays great emphasis on equity and investment in the real economy. Rather than providing a lucrative financial alternative to investing in the real economy, Islamic banking complements and strengthens the latter.

It ensures that financial capital does not lead to artificially bloated asset prices. Instead, it is made to work in the real economy, on real projects.

• Thus, instead of traditional accounts with given interest rates, Islamic banks provide accounts which offer profit/loss. The bank in turn purchases assets with your money, which generate returns for the bank.
  • High degrees of uncertainty or gharar are not allowed. All possible risks must be identified to investors, and all relevant information disclosed.
  • Islamic finance requires you only invest in ethical causes or projects.

Read more here: Explainer: how does Islamic finance work?

EXAMPLE

Housing Loan - The Islamic Finance Alternative

You are purchasing a house worth 100,000.

You make a down payment of 20,000 and take a loan of 80,000 to be repaid over 4 equal annual installments.

Thus, currently own 20% (20,000/100,000 x 100) of the asset.

Your repayment schedule would look something like this:

main-qimg-3dd67da56754033173646823c664f53a

So essentially - over the years you are buying a larger portion of ownership of the house.

So what does the Islamic Bank get in return?
As a co-owner of the house the bank is entitled to charge rent. However, as you buy out the bank’s share of ownership the rent liability decreases over time.

Suppose the rent is 2,000 p.a., you will pay as follows:

Year 1 - 2,000 x 80% (bank’s ownership% during the year) = 1,600

Year 2 - 2,000 x 60% = 1,200

Year 3 - 2,000 x 40% = 800

Year 4 - 2,000 x 20% = 400

Year 5 - The asset belongs to you 100% - no need to pay rent.

The co-ownership factor has several other benefits as well.

9 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

As a co-owner of the house the bank is entitled to charge rent. However, as you buy out the bank’s share of ownership the rent liability decreases over time.

So youre saying that instead of the gas paying interest they are paying rent. And as such we can call them rent boys again. That works nicely :clapping:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Bianconeri said:

My point is that the overt quotation of interest suggests that Dwayne borrowed the money from a source other than ‘the family’.

Highly likely they did borrow from other sources, unless the bank they are shareholders in have an unusually high appetite for risk (they might as an investment bank however),  but To borrow from a bank they have such a vested interest in might not be straight forward/ethical or permitted.

No idea what the state of play is with the bank, from memory it wasn't the most profitable in the region so I have no idea what (if any) dividends they have paid.

The interest they are apparently charging Rovers would account for a loan to be repaid and for a bit of wiggle room if rates increase slightly.

21 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I found this if it helps:-

Islamic Finance is based on the Profit-Sharing principle. In other words the parties are Owners of the Asset/Venture for which the loan is being advanced.

It is important to understand that Islamic Banking is based on a strong value system. It lays great emphasis on equity and investment in the real economy. Rather than providing a lucrative financial alternative to investing in the real economy, Islamic banking complements and strengthens the latter.

It ensures that financial capital does not lead to artificially bloated asset prices. Instead, it is made to work in the real economy, on real projects.

• Thus, instead of traditional accounts with given interest rates, Islamic banks provide accounts which offer profit/loss. The bank in turn purchases assets with your money, which generate returns for the bank.
  • High degrees of uncertainty or gharar are not allowed. All possible risks must be identified to investors, and all relevant information disclosed.

Read more here: Explainer: how does Islamic finance work?

EXAMPLE

Housing Loan - The Islamic Finance Alternative

You are purchasing a house worth 100,000.

You make a down payment of 20,000 and take a loan of 80,000 to be repaid over 4 equal annual installments.

Thus, currently own 20% (20,000/100,000 x 100) of the asset.

Your repayment schedule would look something like this:

main-qimg-3dd67da56754033173646823c664f53a

So essentially - over the years you are buying a larger portion of ownership of the house.

Yes, classic approach to an Islamic mortgage. There are a number of other products to mirror HP, savings deposits, etc... Sukuk is a common ‘bond’ approach to large investments via a special purpose company. I did wonder if that was what the bank had done, take over ownership of the asset, charge rent for its use and then distribute a share of the rental to investors. 

That wouldn’t account for the escalting debt caused by operational losses.  I think Dwayne (as a Jersey based company) has taken out a conventional mortgage.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Unless someone puts their hand in their pocket, in 6 months they will be insolvent and unable to trade.  Something is going to need to happen very quickly to save them and all I hear sounds like hot air.

Hot air will not save the Gas. 

They really could do with being  drawn against Manchester United in the Cup.....

oh they’re knocked out of all 3 competitions for 2017/18 !

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Bianconeri said:

That is very odd because Shar’ia compliance would mean not charging interest. In practice Islamic financial institutions often quote ‘interest equiivalents’. I’m not familiar with the flavour of compliance used in Jordan but the basic principles tend to be similar across the Islamic Finance market.

There are some highly complex ‘compliant’ products that mirror conventional products. Have a look at the OECD, IFSB and World Bank reports if you are very bored.

AJIB is not an Islamic bank, it's just owned by Muslims.

4 hours ago, LegalEagle said:

AJIB is not an Islamic bank, it's just owned by Muslims.

Another reason why buying Bristol Rovers can't be Islamic finance

Edited by zippycar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3