IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, bert tann said:

The Rovers saga is shaping up to be like a re-run of Evelyn Waugh’s novel Decline and Fall.

The prosperity promised through Nicholas’s millions turns to dust and the prospect of dire mediocrity coupled with interest slavery looms. Then, miraculously like a genie from a lamp, the Al Qadi family appear and spirits are raised to new heights. But with the UWE Stadium on the eve of construction it suddenly all falls to pieces and gloom descends once more. Rovers look as though they are finished completely when an unforeseen helping hand enables them to revert to the lowly position they were trying to escape from. But this time, effectively neutered, they are quite content to accept their status as permanent underdogs.

Sorry it couldn’t be a happy one but Evelyn’s endings are notoriously realistic. Many people are unaware that we actually came down from Oxford together although I got off at Stapleton Road and she carried on to Temple Meads. There are even claims that I was the inspiration for her masterpiece Bridewell Revisited.

I think this saga is shaping up like a re-run of “The Tiger Who Came To Tea”. A story of a tiger who arrives and eats everything in the house (takes all the assets) and then leaves never to be seen again. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

I think this saga is shaping up like a re-run of “The Tiger Who Came To Tea”. A story of a tiger who arrives and eats everything in the house (takes all the assets) and then leaves never to be seen again. 

It was a remake of The Emperor`s New Clothes right from the beginning but it was only us that could see it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bert tann said:

"Sorry it couldn’t be a happy one but Evelyn’s endings are notoriously realistic."

You could have added Bert that his endings are also on the bleak side of desolation, the pinnacle of which is to be found in Vile Bodies. Now who might have inspired that?

3 hours ago, B block said:

So what your saying is half a snake, is bodin going to be the worm ?

Half a snake is nearly an ake, or a sna. It could be a per, a der, an onda, a cor, or bra. 

And I haven't touched a drop, perhaps I should, whilst getting my coat.

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/15/archaeologist-rich-history-bradford-lost-football-ground

Could this be the Mem in 40 years time? 

Admittedly though this ground in the 70s was still better than the tent city... 

Interesting they went under "in the shadow of their more successful rivals Bradford City" (BCFC) :whistle:

• Like 1

lub in order by overspending money on things behind the scenes that we cannot afford yet so the first team will suffer as the overall budget gets eaten up. That’s how it seems! I’d call that a reckless revolution and not an evolution - an evolution would mean actually getting something done on the stadium! It’s the only way we can evolve as without a bigger stadium and all the income that will bring we can’t afford to do more than what we were previously to this season. The UWE plan falling though has set us back 10 Years plus - and the nonchalance in letting the deal go down the pan and how it all came to light infuriated me and many others. We all know without a new ground we are doomed to drop again eventually as we are not sustainable. I understand we need a miracle for anything to happen quickly but all this speculating of takeovers etc is nuts and surely all unfounded. It’s a shame we need to lower our expectations when they were probably at their highest! We really need some communication from wael but his silence has been deafening. The blame lies solely with the al qadi family and hamer! Please just communicate and be honest with us! It would save many others a lot of unessessary sh*t! Everyone’s downer related to the club from fans to staff is down to them and they just need to communicate and show us some honesty and reassure us either way. We can take it on the chin! Remove the cloaks! At the next home game if weal attends ask him out right.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coombsy said:

lub in order by overspending money on things behind the scenes that we cannot afford yet so the first team will suffer as the overall budget gets eaten up. That’s how it seems! I’d call that a reckless revolution and not an evolution - an evolution would mean actually getting something done on the stadium! It’s the only way we can evolve as without a bigger stadium and all the income that will bring we can’t afford to do more than what we were previously to this season. The UWE plan falling though has set us back 10 Years plus - and the nonchalance in letting the deal go down the pan and how it all came to light infuriated me and many others. We all know without a new ground we are doomed to drop again eventually as we are not sustainable. I understand we need a miracle for anything to happen quickly but all this speculating of takeovers etc is nuts and surely all unfounded. It’s a shame we need to lower our expectations when they were probably at their highest! We really need some communication from wael but his silence has been deafening. The blame lies solely with the al qadi family and hamer! Please just communicate and be honest with us! It would save many others a lot of unessessary sh*t! Everyone’s downer related to the club from fans to staff is down to them and they just need to communicate and show us some honesty and reassure us either way. We can take it on the chin! Remove the cloaks! At the next home game if weal attends ask him out right.

Very sensible post. 

• Like 1

The bit I always find amusing is the insistence they need a bigger stadium to survive, when they don't even sell out the Mem.

In reality it's more they need a new one with good corporate facilities etc. to make extra cash (even at the expense of capacity given their poor attendances but dire losses) rather than more seats / standing room 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Red34 said:

The bit I always find amusing is the insistence they need a bigger stadium to survive, when they don't even sell out the Mem.

In reality it's more they need a new one with good corporate facilities etc. to make extra cash (even at the expense of capacity given their poor attendances but dire losses) rather than more seats / standing room 

They’re convinced that if they build a 20000 capacity stadium,  they will instantly do a Brighton and fill it, as the demand is there but is being held back by the poor facilities. It’s nothing to do with struggling to make a mark in the third division.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Red34 said:

4 hours ago, Leveller said:

They’re convinced that if they build a 20000 capacity stadium,  they will instantly do a Brighton and fill it, as the demand is there but is being held back by the poor facilities. It’s nothing to do with struggling to make a mark in the third division.

You are perhaps both allowing emotion to get in the way here.

1. If you look at most club redevelopments that offer more and better seating and facilities the vast majority of clubs, if not all, significantly improve their crowds and revenues dramatically; essential for exponentially rising running costs. City are no different and neither would be Rovers. And so in short they have little option but to develop and rightly so.

2. And Rovers, whether you like it or not and clearly its not, actually have a fairly decent latent support base. Not as large as ours but it is there.

If their owners actually get their act together they would, in my opinion, easily attract average gates of 15k in the third tier assuming they are doing well. And even if they are not you would always receive a proven boost regardless when you offer something new and vastly improved. I am frankly staggered at how many people attend matches now with such a poor stadium which tells you how much real support is there and waiting in the wings. And they clearly have done their research on it.

I hope they get it sorted its good for Bristol jobs and that alone is a good enough reason. The liklihood is there would be many Bristol City fans working on construction to deliver the stadium. That means more money spent at Ashton Gate and all around the city.

So take away the emotion fellas, stand above the de based arguments and praise sporting investment in our great city. As long as they stay one place behind us, always, i am happy.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

1. If you look at most club redevelopments that offer more and better seating and facilities the vast majority of clubs, if not all, significantly improve their crowds and revenues dramatically; essential for exponentially rising running costs. City are no different and neither would be Rovers. And so in short they have little option but to develop and rightly so.

2. And Rovers, whether you like it or not and clearly its not, actually have a fairly decent latent support base. Not as large as ours but it is there.

If their owners actually get their act together they would, in my opinion, easily attract average gates of 15k in the third tier assuming they are doing well. And even if they are not you would always receive a proven boost regardless when you offer something new and vastly improved. I am frankly staggered at how many people attend matches now with such a poor stadium which tells you how much real support is there and waiting in the wings. And they clearly have done their research on it.

I hope they get it sorted its good for Bristol jobs and that alone is a good enough reason. The liklihood is there would be many Bristol City fans working on construction to deliver the stadium. That means more money spent at Ashton Gate and all around the city.

So take away the emotion fellas, stand above the de based arguments and praise sporting investment in our great city. As long as they stay one place behind us, always, i am happy.

like you said we have a bigger fan base and  we struggled to attract that, only time we did was when we were top,

Why should we take away the emotion, they are reaping what the sown and deserve all the shit they get, and that includes bankruptcy if it gets that far,

Edited by Monkeh
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't want to quote all of @havanatopia 's post, but he raises some good points. Let's face it, as much as we are all pleased to see the extra bums on seats, it's the additional non match day revenue that will see the stadium prove it's worth and the Rovers board will see it that way too. 

UWE would bring in events due to its location and the smaller size might make it more attractive for some businesses. 

I am not sure they would achieve those 15k average gates, though I could see an initial jump from curiosity which might be sustained with any success, they might even finally attrct those students they keep banging on about.

However I don't think a rebuild of the mem has anywhere near the same potential for extra draw, it's cramped and not well positioned.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I'm pretty certain that they wouldn't attract gates of 15k easily.

Except when we're taking on big teams or have been doing really well this season, we've only been getting 17 or 18k at times these last few years. 

As you say their support is lower than ours so I doubt they could get that close to it, apart from the initial curiosity bump, especially if the on-pitch entertainment stays so poor.

Also think you missed my biggest point, which was that selling out a 12k stadium with great conference facilities etc. that makes millions each year from corporate income is better than a 20k stadium they'd be unlikely to sell out with very little corporate facilities. 

They're losing money hand over fist and quite clearly need non-matchday income.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Red34 said:

I'm pretty certain that they wouldn't attract gates of 15k easily.

Except when we're taking on big teams or have been doing really well this season, we've only been getting 17 or 18k at times these last few years. 

As you say their support is lower than ours so I doubt they could get that close to it, apart from the initial curiosity bump, especially if the on-pitch entertainment stays so poor.

Also think you missed my biggest point, which was that selling out a 12k stadium with great conference facilities etc. that makes millions each year from corporate income is better than a 20k stadium they'd be unlikely to sell out with very little corporate facilities. 

They're losing money hand over fist and quite clearly need non-matchday income.

they've lost of non match day business to us,

My old firm use to use the mem facilities for training etc they now use Ashton Gate, they've lost the rugby and frankly we just offer better things then they do, 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

like you said we have a bigger fan base and  we struggled to attract that, only time we did was when we were top,

Why should we take away the emotion, they are reaping what the sown and deserve all the shit they get, and that includes bankruptcy if it gets that far,

Agreed and I'd love them to face bankruptcy. 

I'm sure the fans would reform it and play on the Downs like they've always threatened but that's fine with me. 

Considering how much blood, sweat and tears (and money) all the City fans put in in 82 keeping us afloat while Rovers blocked the council helping us and tried to pinch the Gate cheap (history repeats itself with the Mem!) while revelling in our misfortune I'm happy to watch them go pop

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

There was no emotion in my post - I’m also one of those that do not hate Rovers and I would not be upset if they were moderately successful in a division one below ours.

However, there are posters on Gaschat convinced they will easily match Brighton and Reading if they have a 20000+ stadium and I just can’t see it , not in the short term. They ignore the fact that Brighton and Reading are in higher leagues, feeling the larger size of Bristol is more important. That overlooks the competition from City and the fact that third tier football is not a great draw.

I can’t see them with 20000 crowds in less than five years of gradual improvement and a promotion to the Championship. If that happens, maybe. But pigs might fly too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't want to quote all of @havanatopia 's post, but he raises some good points. Let's face it, as much as we are all pleased to see the extra bums on seats, it's the additional non match day revenue that will see the stadium prove it's worth and the Rovers board will see it that way too. 

UWE would bring in events due to its location and the smaller size might make it more attractive for some businesses. 

I am not sure they would achieve those 15k average gates, though I could see an initial jump from curiosity which might be sustained with any success, they might even finally attrct those students they keep banging on about.

However I don't think a rebuild of the mem has anywhere near the same potential for extra draw, it's cramped and not well positioned.

UWE is a great location for a modern stadium, good road links, Parkway close by, Englands 7th (?) biggest City on its doorstep along with a shit load of students. For those reasons I cannot believe that it won’t get built, either by the Al Qs or new owners who can see the ££ signs. It’s been hilarious watching the meltdown but I don’t think it’ll last.

As for their crowds, they will obviously increase, definitely in the short term. Not only Gasheads ‘loyal and true’ who it appears will only show up if there’s a nice comfy seat to sit on but also away support. Even out of town, soulless bowls have a novelty factor for supporters of opposition clubs who want to see a new ground. 

Just like their predictions a few years ago of full houses every week if they were ever to reach League 1 and selling out away allocations for every game in the 3rd tier, guaranteed 15k-20k averages every year in a new stadium is load of bollocks. If they do well in the UWE their plastics will hang about and keep crowds at the 15k Mark (or higher depending on how well they do)...stagnate in L1 and they’ll soon be back to 8k home fans once the novelty wears off.

We’re the same, just with a few thousand more ‘die-hards’. 

If they rebuild the Mem I’ll eat my own head, it’s a complete non starter.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

UWE is a great location for a modern stadium, good road links, Parkway close by, Englands 7th (?) biggest City on its doorstep along with a shit load of students. For those reasons I cannot believe that it won’t get built, either by the Al Qs or new owners who can see the ££ signs. It’s been hilarious watching the meltdown but I don’t think it’ll last.

As for their crowds, they will obviously increase, definitely in the short term. Not only Gasheads ‘loyal and true’ who it appears will only show up if there’s a nice comfy seat to sit on but also away support. Even out of town, soulless bowls have a novelty factor for supporters of opposition clubs who want to see a new ground. 

Just like their predictions a few years ago of full houses every week if they were ever to reach League 1 and selling out away allocations for every game in the 3rd tier, guaranteed 15k-20k averages every year in a new stadium is load of bollocks. If they do well in the UWE their plastics will hang about and keep crowds at the 15k Mark (or higher depending on how well they do)...stagnate in L1 and they’ll soon be back to 8k home fans once the novelty wears off.

UWE is a great location for a modern sports stadium, with good corporate & conference facilities, no doubt about it. 

However, who is going to invest huge amounts on building something on land that will never belong to them..?

I’m surprised that UWE haven’t gone down the route of obtaining funding for a multi sport venue, that could be rented to Rovers. Although that would not help Rovers overall because non matchday revenue would go to UWE. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I think this is indeed what the future holds for them; I await the comedy hour when Geoff interviews the new Chairman on "Having a Gas".

"Well Mr Henbury; I understand that the ground has been sold so the council can build an incinerator, Stu Sinclair is back to begging in the precinct again, you're renting at Twerton again, the club never owned the training ground in the first place because it was bought directly by Dwane Sports, and you're bottom of the fourth division.  It's not looking good is it?"

"You been listening to them gurt Teds, Geoff; it's all going really well.  I have total faith in myself as owner and anybody who doesn't isn't a proper gashead.  We have lots of assets but they just don't show up in the accounts and our league position is in no way reflective of the way that we have played in those games, all the referees are secret Teds who just want us to lose." 

There is no way that is Henbury Gas in that interview, that answer is way too well thought out and put across for the to be him.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

hahahahahahahahaha I'm in pieces

• Like 1

Has anyone thought that it's the 'non matchday' stuff that caused the UWE to fall through? Maybe the University wanted a bigger slice / all of it meaning the sags would have to get bigger crowds just to remain in the status quo and never receive the benefits of the new stadium apart from ticket revenue from which rent would have to be paid I assume? It does make sense TBH and could explain why the Al Q's pulled the plug? Why would the Uni allow it to be built on their land if they wouldn't make any ££££ after all?

• Like 2