IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

35 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I quite enjoyed the 90s :)

I’m sure you did, because since then it’s all gone a bit pear shaped, hasn’t it..?! 

At least it looks highly likely that, come next season, you will now see Rovers fans (not many) gathered in the pub, legally purchasing & consuming alcohol, that will have never existed the last time you sat above us in the league. 

20 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

Even in the 1990s, we finished above them seven times to their three, and beat them nine times to their five.

That's the thing, isn't it. people like Miah (Rovers fans), as amiable as he is, make statements about how they quite liked the 90s. In reality, they were still the lower achievers of the two underachieving clubs of Bristol. That's their measure of success, beating us three times in a ten year period. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I quite enjoyed the 90s :)

Ah the gold old 1990’s eh..! 

The days when you lot used to harp on about having never been in the basement division of the football league. 

Not like this horrible millennium, when you have an open top bus tour to celebrate getting into it..! 

#MindTheGap

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I always have a look at this thread for the latest comedy instalment.

I couldn't tell you who the sags have got next, likewise I am hard pressed to name any of their players apart from the tramp for obvious light hearted reasons.

Rivalry? They would give anything to rival us but in truth they are so far behind in every sense that any attempt just makes them look even more desperate.

They would do far better in trying to get their own house in order first.

The great thing about rivalry is that despite you being in a league cup semi final  and having beaten one of the biggest teams in the world to get there, then very nearly getting a draw at a club that is probably currently one of the biggest teams in the world AND having a very decent chance of playing in the biggest league in the world next season, is that me mentioning the fact that we had you over a few times nearly 30 years ago still gets on yer nerves :)

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Swede said:

I always have a look at this thread for the latest comedy instalment.

I couldn't tell you who the sags have got next, likewise I am hard pressed to name any of their players apart from the tramp for obvious light hearted reasons.

Rivalry? They would give anything to rival us but in truth they are so far behind in every sense that any attempt just makes them look even more desperate.

They would do far better in trying to get their own house in order first.

I doubt they harbour any realistic hope of rivalling us, anymore. 

They just hope that we fail. That will do for them. 

In fact, as proven by recent social media postings, apparently us losing 2-1 away Vs Man City was a reason for great joy..!!?!

Edited by Bar BS3

2 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

The great thing about rivalry is that despite you being in a league cup semi final  and having beaten one of the biggest teams in the world to get there, then very nearly getting a draw at a club that is probably currently one of the biggest teams in the world AND having a very decent chance of playing in the biggest league in the world next season, is that me mentioning the fact that we had you over a few times nearly 30 years ago still gets on yer nerves :)

Oh it really doesn’t!! 

It’s quite nice to remember the days when we used to play against clubs like yours. 

8 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Oh I think it does :)

Painful memories for those of us that were there Miah (I was) but we've moved on hugely from the club we were then, whereas you, with the greatest respect, haven't. It doesn't 'get on my nerves' anymore but gives me a sanctimonious glow that we have grown to a totally different animal nowadays. We spent far too many years comparing ourselves to you lot when we should have been looking at the bigger picture, something we have now learned to do. Your capitulation has helped as with clear water we could see the folly of our ways. Now the gulf between our clubs is as big as I can remember and I was around in the first division days. The setup of this club has NEVER been stronger, that's why we are so damn confident, something that must cheese you lot off something terrible! 

If something that happened 28 years ago gives you a slight glow of satisfaction, knock yourself out, it won't bother us anymore. 

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I've no idea, but it just does.

I’m trying, but I really can’t remember what it feels like to lose to you. 

I’m sure that it was annoying, evening saddening, at the time, but nope..... I feel nothing now. 

I think any ingrained hurt you may have inflicted on us all got washed away as Colin Daniel hit the back of the net (in your own kit) and sent you further down than any of us had ever dreamt possible. 

Anyway, congratulations on clawing your way back to where you were in the 1980’s. Great achievement! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ska Junkie said:

Painful memories for those of us that were there Miah (I was) but we've moved on hugely from the club we were then whereas you, with the greatest respect, haven't. It doesn't 'get on my nerves' anymore but gives me a sanctimonious glow that we have grown to a totally different level nowadays. We spent far too many years comparing ourselves to you lot when we should have been looking at the bigger picture, something we have now learned to do. Your capitulation has helped as with clear water we could see the folly of our ways. Now the gulf between our clubs is as big as I can remember and I was around in the first division days. 

If something that happened 28 years ago gives you a slight glow of satisfaction, knock yourself out, it won't bother us anymore. 

Are you sure?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I’m trying, but I really can’t remember what it feels like to lose to you. 

I’m sure that it was annoying, evening saddening, at the time, but nope..... I feel nothing now. 

I think any ingrained hurt you may have inflicted on us all got washed away as Colin Daniel hit the back of the net (in your own kit) and sent you further down than any of us had ever dreamt possible. 

Anyway, congratulations on clawing your way back to where you were in the 1980’s. Great achievement! 

You're still dreaming of clawing your way back to where you were in the 1970s :)

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Are you sure?

You know it doesn’t! That’s you you’ve all latched on to the utterly irrelivent love in with Dean Windass. 

You know you can’t bother us anymore, so you’ll latch on to anything and anyone that can. 

Does that say just about everything about your position nowadays..? 

1 minute ago, Miah Dennehy said:

You're still dreaming of clawing your way back to where you were in the 1970s :)

We are indeed. And if you think that is a parallel comparison, then you are clearly supporting exactly the right Club..!

A match made in heaven! 

19 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I doubt they harbour any realistic hope of rivalling us, anymore. 

They just hope that we fail. That will do for them. 

In fact, as proven by recent social media postings, apparently us losing 2-1 away Vs Man City was a reason for great joy..!!?!

That's it in a nutshell - they hope we fail instead of having any ambition of their own, why move forward because if we sit in the doldrums for long enough, those damn shi'teds will come back to us. They honestly believe that. That's delusion par excellence.

#mindthegap #17years

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Are you sure?

Do you honestly think we would be bothered by a defeat a whole generation ago when we are beating the likes of United, Palace, Stoke and Watford and getting plaudits from everywhere for giving the best side in the country a scare? No, neither would I. :) With all respect, your fans celebrate when we lose, most of ours don't even know / care who you're playing.

The ONLY thing our respective clubs have in common is 'Bristol' Miah. Oh yeah, and this piss take thread! 

Sleep well. 

Edited by Ska Junkie

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Do you honestly think we would be bothered by a defeat a whole generation ago when we are beating the likes of United, palace, Stoke and Watford and getting plaudits from everywhere for giving the best side in the country a scare? No, neither would I. :) With all repsect, your fans celebrate when we lose, most of ours don't even know / care who you're playing.

The ONLY thing our respective clubs have in common is 'Bristol' Miah. Oh yeah, and this piss take thread! 

Sleep well. 

And there connection with Bristol has been somewhat transient..!

Especially during their last “glory” period..! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

No, they really don't give a shit about the shit do they? They're certainly not obsessed with us like we are with them. More away fans, faithful and true blah de blah bollocks......

IMG_4108.JPG

Ironic, seeing as too many “Bill’s” are what’s likely to finish their club off, soon..! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I've no idea, but it just does.

It absolutely did at the time, I will admit that. The 1996 Peter Beadle double game at the Gate absolutely broke me as a child, as did losing 4-0 at Trumpton a couple of years earlier. If you think that we spend even a split second letting it get to us now though, then you are sadly mistaken. Sorry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

It absolutely did at the time, I will admit that. The 1996 Peter Beadle double game at the Gate absolutely broke me as a child, as did losing 4-0 at Trumpton a couple of years earlier. If you think that we spend even a split second letting it get to us now though, then you are sadly mistaken. Sorry.

1990 still gets to me. I have to admit. Beaten to the title by a bunch of misfits, non league players and journeymen. Bob Taylor injured at crucial time of the season, we'd been top all season, they beat us, stole the title, dressed up in City Div 3 Champions T-Shirts and rammed it down our throats for years (even though Martin Dobson famously came in and said "I'm gonna make Rovers into a footballing team" and promptly got relegated back to the 3rd tier emphatically).

2015 went some way to healing the wounds, but I for one will never forget how they went on and on and on and on and on about it. Which is why I now take delight at going on and on and on and on about "The Gift" in this massive thread.

I can put up with them festering, but will be totally jubilant the day they go pop.

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

.... is that me mentioning the fact that we had you over a few times nearly 30 years ago still gets on yer nerves :)

I think this epitomizes Sag mentality...you enjoyed the 90's because you had the better of us for the first half of it.....even your enjoyable times need us to make them enjoyable.  We've enjoyed the last 25 years (ish) because there have been some exciting times, good promotion seasons (mixed in with some real low points admittedly), but we've enjoyed these times because of the City.  Rovers limping away from being a genuine rival and also slipping out of the league added to our enjoyment of course....but it certainly hasn't been the cause of it though.

Apropos nothing in particular, I noticed that the 15ers record signing, Andy Tilson was born on the very day that England won the World Cup - 30th June 1966 which means that he's now 51 years old. Our record signing, Famara Diedhiou, turned 25 in December. That's quite a difference. 

Message ends. Sorry to interrupt. Back to what you were doing.