IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

6 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

Still more than double the amount at Eastville for their last home game, they must be delighted with that

26 April 1986,  Rovers drew 1–1 with Chesterfield in front of just 3,576 spectators meaning that their attendance has grown by well over 100% in the intervening 32 years. From very few to few. That's progress. :noexp:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Someone keeps bringing that Bradford away game up but that was ticket sales they actually took nearly 500 for a 12.30 ko for a game on TV to be fair to them that's not bad, we don't travel at all well when we are on tv for league games as last night and Sheff U have shown and I remember the Forest game a few years back that I went to when we were fighting relegation when we had less than 400 there for an evening ko on a Saturday. Our away support can be very good but also very poor.

7 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Someone keeps bringing that Bradford away game up but that was ticket sales they actually took nearly 500 for a 12.30 ko for a game on TV to be fair to them that's not bad, we don't travel at all well when we are on tv for league games as last night and Sheff U have shown and I remember the Forest game a few years back that I went to when we were fighting relegation when we had less than 400 there for an evening ko on a Saturday. Our away support can be very good but also very poor.

:laugh: Did they **** take 500 to Bradford. Looks like Gas logic has consumed you. 

Having watched Channel 5’s football highlights on Saturday night, what struck me was the state of the minimal grounds pitch! It was awful! I know they used to blame it on the former owners of the property (Bristol rugby) but they can’t use it as an excuse anymore & considering that we now have Bristol rugby at the Gate, our pitch shows little signs of wear & tear.

So who’s fault is the mud now?

I would suggest that it’s possibly down to them getting the fundamentals wrong & spending their entire budget on cleaning carpets & curtains instead of on where their points are won? Or maybe they have got it right as it gives them a ‘reason’ to play the ball in the air & avoid using what should be that green stuff under foot! Maybe that’ll explain why they are doing better at home than away because their opposition aren’t used to playing the ‘sore neck’ style of football & it’s all part of their philosophy of getting out of relegation trouble but surely the opposition will realise that they have to spend the week training before their game at getting used to seeing the ball up with the planes?

11 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Just for comparison Plymouth had 11942 (459 Wigan fans) today so they had best part of 11.5k wanting to see them.

Said this several times, Argyle are a far bigger club than them.

South West's second biggest.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Said this several times, Argyle are a far bigger club than them.

South West's second biggest.

I know. Vastly bigger than the blue few, always have been and always will be.

It does help having a decent ground with more than just the basic facilities as well rather than those you`d normally expect to find on a pikey site.

13 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Having watched Channel 5’s football highlights on Saturday night, what struck me was the state of the minimal grounds pitch! It was awful! I know they used to blame it on the former owners of the property (Bristol rugby) but they can’t use it as an excuse anymore & considering that we now have Bristol rugby at the Gate, our pitch shows little signs of wear & tear.

So who’s fault is the mud now?

I would suggest that it’s possibly down to them getting the fundamentals wrong & spending their entire budget on cleaning carpets & curtains instead of on where their points are won? Or maybe they have got it right as it gives them a ‘reason’ to play the ball in the air & avoid using what should be that green stuff under foot! Maybe that’ll explain why they are doing better at home than away because their opposition aren’t used to playing the ‘sore neck’ style of football & it’s all part of their philosophy of getting out of relegation trouble but surely the opposition will realise that they have to spend the week training before their game at getting used to seeing the ball up with the planes?

Basically the revamp of the pitch (before the current head groundsman joined us ) in the summer was a shambles and the club recently released a a video of an interview with the current groundsman. It seems the best we can hope for is to patch it up as we play and then start again in the summer.

It is rumoured that the recent suspension of an employee and the state of the pitch are not entirely unrelated. However I should point out that these are rumours at the moment and anyone making a comment would do well do remember that football clubs (and individuals) can & do take action if libelled.

23 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

. However I should point out that these are rumours at the moment and anyone making a comment would do well do remember that football clubs (and individuals) can & do take action if libelled.

Remind me how that worked out with Sainsburys  ?

Edited by Vincent Vega

17 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Basically the revamp of the pitch (before the current head groundsman joined us ) in the summer was a shambles and the club recently released a a video of an interview with the current groundsman. It seems the best we can hope for is to patch it up as we play and then start again in the summer.

It is rumoured that the recent suspension of an employee and the state of the pitch are not entirely unrelated. However I should point out that these are rumours at the moment and anyone making a comment would do well do remember that football clubs (and individuals) can & do take action if libelled.

Well I think I’m pretty safe on the libel front, I know very little about what’s going on at the minimal ground as there’s been very little reason to worry about what’s going on so I have no idea about any employees being suspended or otherwise. But let’s be honest, the pitch has always been a cabbage patch, it’s just that previously they blamed the previous owners of the ground for the state of the playing surface.

40 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Hope henbury gas got a good legal team then after the lies he spills out us and Lansdown 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Well I think I’m pretty safe on the libel front, I know very little about what’s going on at the minimal ground as there’s been very little reason to worry about what’s going on so I have no idea about any employees being suspended or otherwise. But let’s be honest, the pitch has always been a cabbage patch, it’s just that previously they blamed the previous owners of the ground for the state of the playing surface.

It really hasn't. It was awful to start with and only got mildly better in the first few years, but once the rugby went it improved drastically

26 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Hope henbury gas got a good legal team then after the lies he spills out us and Lansdown 

But, but if Henbury Gas says it it`s true isn`t it? Why would someone in such an elevated and respected position amongst their fanbase resort to telling untruths? Surely he has more dignity and integrity than that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

However I should point out that these are rumours at the moment and anyone making a comment would do well do remember that football clubs (and individuals) can & do take action if libelled.

Unless there have been mass suspensions at the Unmemorable the risk the you highlight appears to relate wholly to the premise you've just articulated. Luckily for you there's little hope of ever proving wilful damage against an individual given there are a minimum eleven, clog-footed argriculturalists harrowing both pitch and spectator's sensibilities each week.

Edited by BTRFTG

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Heard similar in the week, would explain why this someone was so say ‘harshly treated’ earlier on this season.