IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I agree with all of that. We also have to forget about City to a degree. I mean, I will always want you to lose every week, and will take the minor pleasures that come along when you do, but the fact is you have an incredibly wealthy owner who is prepared to invest, and when he dies you still have his son, we ain't gonna be catching you any time soon! I would go as far to say that at my age (54 this year) if you offered me just one more win over City in a cup competition in my lifetime, I'd probably take it and enjoy it for what it was. 

Having said all that things can always change in what is a crazy old world at the moment and you never know, but I won't be lumping any money on us catching up with you. Clarke got us playing some attacking, entertaining football at times , certainly far better to watch than Ward's stuff. It is pretty grim watching them this season, but I would rather watch them under a coach who I know, is capable of producing a bit of enjoyable football.

Your problem is and always has been this 

we want to be the best team we can, we want to be in the prem and we want to one day push for europe

you lot on the other hand just want to finish above us and that’s the extent of your ambition and that’s why you’ll always be in our shadow

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

There was a protest and boycott outside Eastville when we sacked Cooper!

I know, and it hasn't made a blind bit of difference!

How do you know it hasn't mad a difference?

By allowing criticism, rather than shouting down the critics, makes everyone question their own actions and improve their efforts up to a point, unless they're completely deluded. That questioning applies pressure to avoid more criticism, you aint going to succeed having a jolly nice time with nobody willing to crack the whip.  As supporters, we've always applied the same principles at AG for as far back as I can remember (1966/7), but just as important, we've also praised when it's been deserved, which is a darn sight more than your self love supporters have had the opportunity to do. 

Luckily I chose Red when I had an option, because they were the bigger better club with better team, better facilities, larger fan base and, the ground although not great, was a lot better than the shit tip that Eastville was. Things Haven't changed too much I suppose, apart from the facilities, oh yes, and the fan base, oh yes and the team. And you lot still blindly allow yourselves to be shafted by your owners, carry on, carry on..

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

They call us fickle for being like it when the reality is we wanted better for our club and we’re prepared to do something about it. 

They call us fickle but our actions and complaints are always based what we feel is best for City along with a fierce loyalty towards the club itself.

Look at what’s happened at the Gas over the last year alone, the stadium fiasco, no information about future plans, best players sold without being adequately replaced plus a manager who’s losing the plot...and the worst start to a season for 26 years. Despite all that any criticism of the owners or Dopey is largely frowned upon by most of the blue few.

Its like they feel more loyalty towards certain individuals than they do towards the club as a whole.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Quite a reasonable post from a sag I have to admit. 

I think the problem you have is that you have been so far behind us for so many years, I don't want to sound big headed but your fans look across the river to us and are desperate to be up here with us and I think that's what makes them impatient. They fail to accept that with the current infrastructure etc that you have mid table in league one is realistically the best you can achieve.

Trollope and Clarke both did well to maintain the level that your currently at, they both know your club inside out and I don't think there is a manager that could push you onto the next level without a clear plan and some serious investment from your owners. 

Sometimes your fans have to accept that managers like Clarke and Trollope are doing the best with what they have got. If you dispose of Clarke I'd be inclined to say your football league status may be at risk again.

If they dispose of the only manager that’s ever taken them down to non league, you think they’ll end up in non league..?!

3 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I think we were actually in the bottom 4 when Trollope went (Could be wrong though). We got done 6-2 at Sheffield Wednesday and I remember driving back thinking that he would be gone soon, Personally I think he was a good coach and we should have stuck with him , and I would say the same for Clarke. I just do not agree with continual hiring and firing. You have to accept that every season some teams will be relegated and I don't think that should necessarily cost the manager his job.

Trollope was only any good whilst he had Lennie Lawrence along side him. As soon as Lawrence left, it all fell apart, iirc. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

If they dispose of the only manager that’s ever taken them down to non league, you think they’ll end up in non league..?!

As much as I dislike the guy, I'm not sure their relegation was his fault. The damage had been done before he became manager. 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Trollope was only any good whilst he had Lennie Lawrence along side him. As soon as Lawrence left, it all fell apart, iirc. 

We have a decent structure in place with Mark Ashton, Lee Johnson and the two assistants and if any were to leave it could all fall apart. It just works and worked with Trollope and Lawrence, when you change the dynamics you take the risk of things turning bad. It was a very poor decision of them to part with Lawrence imo. They had a structure in place and when times got a bit tough they didn't have the conviction to see it through like we did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

As much as I dislike the guy, I'm not sure their relegation was his fault. The damage had been done before he became manager. 

We have a decent structure in place with Mark Ashton, Lee Johnson and the two assistants and if any were to leave it could all fall apart. It just works and worked with Trollope and Lawrence, when you change the dynamics you take the risk of things turning bad. It was a very poor decision of them to part with Lawrence imo. They had a structure in place and when times got a bit tough they didn't have the conviction to see it through like we did.

Like ... Clough & Taylor

… Cannon & Ball .. Abbott & Costello .. Laurel & Hardy .. Chuckle & Chuckle .. Eric & Ernie .. Lennon/McCartney .. Simon/Garfunkel .. Egg & Chips .. Marks & Spencer .. Ashton, Gardner & Dyke …  Anthony & Tony Rougier .. Emerson, Lake & Palmer .. and of course among many others, the ultimate, great, unforgettable partnership that was Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick & Titch.

Can't beat the magic of a great partnership...  ?  

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

My point being we don’t roll over and have our bellies tickled and you’re wrong we have made changes by protesting . Only this summer the club had to backtrack regarding certain season card prices by the uproar caused. Fans do have a voice. 

If Lansdown listened to City fans on major issues LJ would be long gone.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Like ... Clough & Taylor

… Cannon & Ball .. Abbott & Costello .. Laurel & Hardy .. Chuckle & Chuckle .. Eric & Ernie .. Lennon/McCartney .. Simon/Garfunkel .. Egg & Chips .. Marks & Spencer .. Ashton, Gardner & Dyke …  Anthony & Tony Rougier .. Emerson, Lake & Palmer .. and of course among many others, the ultimate, great, unforgettable partnership that was Dave Dee Dozy Beaky Mick & Titch.

Can't beat the magic of a great partnership...  ?  

?

6 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Yes granted. No board has knee jerk reactions to sackings as soon as the fans get disgruntled . If they did there’d be sackings most weeks. I’m talking the overall picture plus we’ve protested about many a thing long before SL  came along . My point is us as a fanbase have always been willing to vent our anger if needed. 

14 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

And perhaps we'd be higher up the pyramid as a result.....

Nicer problems to have (not that your boys would understand given matters preoccupying their attention.)

Perhaps, maybe, if. One thing I am pretty sure of is that there are very, very,very few clubs where LJ would have lasted as long as he has. Lansdown has picked his man and is backing him, which suggests to me he has a plan and he is sticking to it no matter what he hears from the terraces.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Perhaps, maybe, if. One thing I am pretty sure of is that there are very, very,very few clubs where LJ would have lasted as long as he has. Lansdown has picked his man and is backing him, which suggests to me he has a plan and he is sticking to it no matter what he hears from the terraces.

And thank god for that! 

I’ve been supporting City for 30 years, so we have only ever been 2 places higher than we are now in all that time! 

There is a chance that by 10pm tonight, I will never have seen us higher placed than we sit in the league. 

Some still like to argue that LJ doesn’t know what he’s doing..!

I think I’ll choose to back the self made Billionaire, who’s invested unimaginable amounts of money in the club, provided us with a stadium that is the envy of many, far bigger clubs, and had the foresight to believe that LJ was the man to trust in taking us higher than anyone else in my time watching us has managed. 

Ironically, the only man to have taken us as high as we could be at 10pm tonight and were for a short time last season, was LJ’s father..! 

• Like 3

Agree on that point, but we are not talking about an owner listening to fans about sacking a manager - if we would have went down Lansdown would have to accept it was his fault regardless. He thought he was correct to keep him, and obviously knew a lot more things happening behind the scenes where fans don't so backed his horse.

Your lot on the other hand are fed lie after lie, your owner (when he does finally speak) says absolutely nothing due to confidentiality, confidentiality and more confidentiality. You wheel out Hamer to peddle some more lies (granted he will be told what he can or cannot say though). The Memorial was "NOT A VIABLE OPTION" from your owner until the UWE fell through and then suddenly it is the only thing on the table with a lick of paint and carpets being cleaned, (unless the takeover goes through). The charges and borrowing against your only asset don't get questioned, yet some still see Wael who is a billionaire who will spend loads sooner or later. 

What your Media bloke came out with to the Post yesterday claiming everything he did was a complete p1sstake to all you fans, yet nothing gets said!

IMO if all that happened here we would demand answers - and I honestly believe Lansdown would have the balls to come out and speak.

I think you're making an assumption that the views expressed on this forum are indicative of the whole support base.

I wouldn't make the mistake of assuming every Rovers supporter was a gullible, self patronising, lying, thug and best supporter in the world type of great guy,  just from what I've read on Gaschat.

4 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

What are the criteria for having an U21 side in the FL Trophy?

A City U21 side playing the full gas team in a competitive game would be hilarious.

I believe that Rovers have applied for a preseason friendly against our under 12’s but we’ve rejected it because we take preparation for the new season seriously and We don’t want to be caught out by the level that other clubs’ under 12 teams are capable of. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I believe that Rovers have applied for a preseason friendly against our under 12’s but we’ve rejected it because we take preparation for the new season seriously and We don’t want to be caught out by the level that other clubs’ under 12 teams are capable of. 

If the U-12s played it might end up like this! (Warning.....contains offensive language!);

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well we knew that was coming... Commercial director Tom Gorringe says no club other than Tottenham Hotspur have done more to improve their ground this summer than Bristol Rovers.

Oh dear have a free kick in the balls TG,with news breaking this morning of the new development at AG i bet somebody wishes they had kept their cake-hole shut ? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

And thank god for that! 

I’ve been supporting City for 30 years, so we have only ever been 2 places higher than we are now in all that time! 

There is a chance that by 10pm tonight, I will never have seen us higher placed than we sit in the league. 

Some still like to argue that LJ doesn’t know what he’s doing..!

I think I’ll choose to back the self made Billionaire, who’s invested unimaginable amounts of money in the club, provided us with a stadium that is the envy of many, far bigger clubs, and had the foresight to believe that LJ was the man to trust in taking us higher than anyone else in my time watching us has managed. 

Ironically, the only man to have taken us as high as we could be at 10pm tonight and were for a short time last season, was LJ’s father..! 

last season 2nd for quite a while......07/08 top for quite a bit towards end of season but faded...…..didn't see last sentence :laugh:

Edited by archie andrews

2 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

last season 2nd for quite a while......07/08 top for quite a bit towards end of season but faded...…..

Ah yes, I thought we’d hit top spot for a short while last season. 

Still, the point is that in my 30 years supporting City, the only people to get us as high as we currently are are LJ & GJ. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Ah yes, I thought we’d hit top spot for a short while last season. 

Still, the point is that in my 30 years supporting City, the only people to get us as high as we currently are are LJ & GJ. 

We were also technically top of the Championship after the first game of last season I think. 3-1 win, and then above QPR on goals scored.

But your point is still valid, and I am being a pedant.

• Like 1