IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

5 hours ago, zider_drinker said:

Yes,You’re right.Shot not header, time plays tricks.

I remember the East End was so tightly packed I saw Stevens shoot but couldn’t see the ball go into the net - obviously the absolute eruption of euphoria in our dear old home end gave a pretty good indication of where the ball ended up ...

On 24/04/2020 at 00:10, Kingswood Robin said:

I lived in an estate built in the 70s at the bottom of Courtney road. People moved there from all over, so no allegiance to one team. Lots of houses went up in the 80s/90s in Warmley and Longwell Green where once again, people from all over moved there. The main Rovers areas were the older estates (New Cheltenham/Banjo). It's pretty slim pickings for them outside of that and getting worse. Their future support looks dire.

No I grew up in New Cheltenham, along with my mates and we were all City. Flower Pot Inn was half and half, Rovers in the bar, City in the Lounge!!

4 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

I live in Bradley Stoke, and the only Gas shirt I have seen lately was worn by a gent in the queue to access Sainsbury's Filton, last Saturday!!

Surely not!!

???

He was only going in to fill a trolley with pot noodles and monster munch (thus avoiding suspicion as these form a g*sheads staple diet) only to abandon it at the checkout.

15 hours ago, zider_drinker said:

I was in the enclosure that night.The crowd were well up for it and the players responded. 1-0 up in the first half, but I do remember second half that York had a few chances and I think it was their striker Keith Walwyn that  threatened a couple of times?

Keith Walwyn - he was a fantastic player at the lower levels - 119 goals in 245 games for York. Tragically died at the age of 47...

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

5 years ago today that Rovers avoided relegation to non league, by beating Wycombe, in their winner takes all relegation decider. 

Well done to them on that achievement.

I bet they immediately took to Social Media to boast and tell us “we r cumin 4 you now u ******* SHITHEADS”.

Who did they play in the last game of that season? I can’t remember.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I bet they immediately took to Social Media to boast and tell us “we r cumin 4 you now u ******* SHITHEADS”.

Neither can I. I think it was just some mediocre mid-table side with nothing to play for though and they only needed to not lose at home and two other teams to not win to be safe so I doubt anything went wrong - all the hard work was done at Wycombe after all.

46 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Apparently their kitman couldn't remember either.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

5 years ago today that Rovers avoided relegation to non league, by beating Wycombe, in their winner takes all relegation decider. 

And how differently it would have panned out for them had they not won that game:

Relegation to non-league, no training ground, no new stadium, no refurbishment of the existing one, dwindling crowds, massive debts, non-communicating owners, sports science graduate on work experience for a manager, players only on £300 a week.

Yes you can certainly say that they dodged the very biggest of big bullets on that day.  Had they lost then it would have been the beginning of a slow protracted dwindling into a footballing irrelevance rather than being the thriving rival club that we see in Bristol Rovers today.

• Like 3
  • Haha 10
  • Robin 1

If someone could set up a poll to find out what we think is the funniest laugh we've had at the Rovers expense that would be great.

May I nominate:

1) Mansfield playing last game of 2014 season in a kit borrowed from Rovers

2) The signing of Matty Taylor

3) Any other suggestion

4) Any other suggestion.

FWIW, I'd vote 2) all day long. It still makes me laugh!  

Edited by Norn Iron
Spelling

9 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Has to be ‘Unlucky da shit’ for me, still makes me laugh.

Closely followed by the Thatcher years’ one but there doesn’t seem to be a recording of that anywhere unfortunately. 

Who used to have Iron Man has their username  ? Pretty sure he had all the recordings saved.

Edited by Vincent Vega
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Closely followed by the Thatcher years’ one but there doesn’t seem to be a recording of that anywhere unfortunately. 

It was reposted in here some time back, given that I don't really have anything better to do, I'll try and find it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Closely followed by the ‘Thatcher years, two divorces, sob sob’ one but there doesn’t seem to be a recording of that anywhere unfortunately. 

I was wrong about the username it was cheesleys mate. I found the post and the link doesn't work anymore..ffs

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Who used to have Iron Man has their username  ? Pretty sure he had all the recordings saved.

If anyone can find it please post a link.

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

If someone could set up a poll to find out what we think is the funniest laugh we've had at the Rovers expense that would be great.

May I nominate:

1) Mansfield playing last game of 2014 season in a kit borrowed from Rovers

2) The signing of Matty Taylor

3) Any other suggestion

4) Any other suggestion.

FWIW, I'd vote 2) all day long. It still makes me laugh!  

3) The UWE debacle.

4) Everything related to them going off in their pants when the Al Qadis showed up.