IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, TomF said:

What happened to Hirst - can’t seem to find much info 

Good question. If I remember right he was studying at Bristol Uni while playing for us.

I'm guessing he was being paid peanuts playing for us, a couple years after going bust. So as a post graduate from Bristol could probably earn more in the real world.

would love to know what happened to him and if he ever played football for anyone

21 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

December 10th 1983 - apologies, I post this most years on this date - it was a very emotional day in our history - we were finally on our way back from oblivion ... under dear old Terry Cooper ... 1-0 down, 2-1 up we knocked Roverzzz...”

I was playing for hillfields under 13’s that day. Minibus full of us listening to it on the radio on the way home after the game. I was the only city fan on there. When hurst scored I went mental, rest of them jumped on me ??

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The away end at notts county that year in the cup looked mental.

Year before my time, but seems like half the ground was city that day.

I was there. I reckon that's the tightest squeeze I've ever been in. I remember getting just a tad worried and tried to move as it was getting tighter and tighter but just couldn't get out of the crush. Eventually it sorted itself out a bit. And yes the Tom Ritchie moment - absolute farce. We deserved to win.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

This seems to have completely passed me by, but just noticed they were in the first round of the FA Youth Cup in midweek (the competition that we won at Nottingham Forest in), the result was;

Bristol Rovers 2 Camberley Town 3.

******* tinpot.

I thought it was Camberwick Green they played? Or was that way back when they were at Trumpton?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Every Saturday I get the Chigley skins, and they always smash my windows 'cos the home side always wins.

I get high when I’m the pilot of a plane, touching down at Camberwick I'm stoned out of my brain. 

My penultimate gig!

HMHB at odyssey on the Friday, Tragedy (all metal tribute to the Bee Gees) the following weekend, then the world got shut down.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

My penultimate gig!

HMHB at odyssey on the Friday, Tragedy (all metal tribute to the Bee Gees) the following weekend, then the world got shut down.

Half of Otib was at that HMHB gig. 

I was the svelte chap in the Achtung Bono! t-shirt leaning on the side bar to chat-up the barmaid.

54 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

My penultimate gig!

After HMHB , we sneaked in a Rumours of Fleetwood Mac gig, in Torquay in April. It was just looking like things were changing. I miss gigs & music events as much as anything.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I never knew that bit but it somehow makes me happy!

Aug 2011

FORMER Notts County star Rachid Harkouk has been jailed for 28 months for conspiring to supply illegal drugs.

The ex-Magpies midfielder was sentenced at Birmingham Crown Court this week after being arrested as part of a major Warwickshire Police operation targeting people involved in supplying Class A and B drugs in the Rugby area.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Aug 2011

FORMER Notts County star Rachid Harkouk has been jailed for 28 months for conspiring to supply illegal drugs.

The ex-Magpies midfielder was sentenced at Birmingham Crown Court this week after being arrested as part of a major Warwickshire Police operation targeting people involved in supplying Class A and B drugs in the Rugby area.

Got in bother before for various fights and affrays and also some counterfeit currency charge. He claims he was running an errand for the King of Dodgy Geezers, El Tel. 

On 10/12/2020 at 22:55, Lew-T said:

As a ‘yoof’ I find it interesting that all this shenanigans of taking teams home ends and being segregated started in the 60s. But only a few years before fans would mix and back then it was more of family outing, depending who was at home on that Saturday.

The culture seemed to change quickly in a short space of time. What happened?

My guess, as a kid who started going in 1968, was football fans following the mods and rockers gang culture. 

No segregation led to mass influxes of away fans into home ends, as in my first ever away game in about 1971 spent on the Town End at Swindon.

• Thanks 1