IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

4 minutes ago, RedRock said:

No.

From my recollection it was the one up by BAC/Rollls Royce factories on the main road near the roundabout. May be wrong though.

On the Filton roundabout on the a38? The Air Balloon pub?

Far as I'm aware that's the closest one, and only know that place as the wife used to live in the student flats above what used to be Blockbusters and Motaman. God knows what's there now, just know they sold all the flats off and did them up to a fairly high spec.

Edited by Taz

2 hours ago, Taz said:

Far as I'm aware that's the closest one, and only know that place as the wife used to live in the student flats above what used to be Blockbusters and Motaman. God knows what's there now, just know they sold all the flats off and did them up to a fairly high spec.

Actually, that’s the name of the pub..... but not the City/Gas one I was thinking of! 

Think I’m going back to bed.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

Talking about pubs..... what was the one out at Filton that had a bit of a City/Sags history?

What’s the story behind that one? Seemed a bit remote from our heartlands. 

I believe the City pub you're thinking of is the Fellowship, which was at the Horfield end of Filton Avenue. Now a Tesco Express. I never went to the pub so can't vouch for its 'City-ness', but that was its reputation. And having lived not too far from there for the last 20-odd years, I can tell you there are easily as many City fans as Rovers living in the area, probably more these days.

3 hours ago, Taz said:

The Air Balloon is built on the site of what used to be the Anchor Hotel. Neither as far as I know were ever City pubs.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

I believe the City pub you're thinking of is the Fellowship, which was at the Horfield end of Filton Avenue. Now a Tesco Express. I never went to the pub so can't vouch for its 'City-ness', but that was its reputation. And having lived not too far from there for the last 20-odd years, I can tell you there are easily as many City fans as Rovers living in the area, probably more these days.

The Air Balloon is built on the site of what used to be the Anchor Hotel. Neither as far as I know were ever City pubs.

I grew up in Horfield just a few streets away from The 'Felly'. It certainly had a reputation in the local area. I only used to pop in for a pint once in a while, usually in the day time for a game of pool etc as the one time i was there on a Saturday evening, it kicked right off. Much preferred a crawl down the Glos Rd.  As far as i remember it was owned by our ex-director Ernie Arathoon and his mate Pongo(Steve?) along with a couple of other pubs in the Lockleaze area. Could be a bit of a troublesome place but you certainly did not mess about on Pongo and Ernie's watch!

Perhaps it was more City as it was one of Ernie's but Horfield cerainly had a good mix of red and blue back then, early to mid 90s.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Ah.. the Fellowship. I think that’s the one. 

Thanks. 

On 14/03/2021 at 16:51, 22A said:

To the current inhabitants of the Mem, remember you don't know what you've got till it's gone.

image.png.7bdd384348164afd13b86e3088efe3a3.png

Not a tent to be seen.

Only went to Eastville once, but my enduring recollection of it was City away days. Whenever the CATS coach drove past it on its way up the M32, all merriment and chatter briefly stopped. To be replaced by a collective hiss that travelled down the length of the coach.

2 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Correct.

As an apprentice at BAe it was traditional to go in the Anchor on a Friday (extended) lunch hour.

Always packed on a Friday (and often rowdy), but in no way a "football pub"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

I grew up in Horfield just a few streets away from The 'Felly'. It certainly had a reputation in the local area. I only used to pop in for a pint once in a while, usually in the day time for a game of pool etc as the one time i was there on a Saturday evening, it kicked right off. Much preferred a crawl down the Glos Rd.  As far as i remember it was owned by our ex-director Ernie Arathoon and his mate Pongo(Steve?) along with a couple of other pubs in the Lockleaze area. Could be a bit of a troublesome place but you certainly did not mess about on Pongo and Ernie's watch!

Perhaps it was more City as it was one of Ernie's but Horfield cerainly had a good mix of red and blue back then, early to mid 90s.

Yeah I would say the Bulldog too is a pretty mixed pub and does have its fair share of doughnuts and middle aged men still acting like teens, so can be a bit cringey. Pongo used to run the dragon in Winterbourne not sure he does anymore but he's a sound bloke.

On a side note it used to be pretty funny when after an away day we would return to The Three Brooks and or the Baileys and that was also pretty mixed pubs. I remember that season recently when both city and rovers played on TV at the same time. Both pubs were literally split down the middle and fans were mixing fine, was a bit surreal.

• Like 1

• Admin
32 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Correct.

As an apprentice at BAe it was traditional to go in the Anchor on a Friday (extended) lunch hour.

Scene of many an extended lunch hour, not just Fridays, also the venue for some lunchtime drinking competitions, one of which involved a girl apprentice, somewhat unkindly referred to as the Russian Shotputter as she was a big (but not fat) girl.  She decided she could drink me and my mate under the table, we had to settle on a drink, as me and my mate drank the Taunton rough, she was a lager girl, we probably stitched her up and settled on Courage Directors as the drink for all participants.  After 5 pints her mates had to carry her out virtually unconscious, she never challenged us again.  I slept through most lessons in the afternoons at RR Tech college ??, after a visit to one of the Filton three and then down to 6 shop (Three Magpies) once in the main works.

2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

Correct.

One of the few things I remember from my time as a 16yo apprentice draughtsman at BAe

5 hours ago, City Rocker said:

The ‘Felly’ was roughly half and half,maybe slightly more red than blue,and was absolutely mental on many occasions.Not a pub for non locals.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yeah I would say the Bulldog too is a pretty mixed pub and does have its fair share of doughnuts and middle aged men still acting like teens, so can be a bit cringey. Pongo used to run the dragon in Winterbourne not sure he does anymore but he's a sound bloke.

On a side note it used to be pretty funny when after an away day we would return to The Three Brooks and or the Baileys and that was also pretty mixed pubs. I remember that season recently when both city and rovers played on TV at the same time. Both pubs were literally split down the middle and fans were mixing fine, was a bit surreal.

Bulldog is mainly Gas,with a fair smattering of City,got to say that most of the blue few seldom attend games whilst most of the City lads go week in week out.

5 hours ago, Gazred said:

Do you recall the infamous pool match against a team in Portsmouth,oh dear,absolute carnage.

Just now, NOTBLUE said:

Do you recall the infamous pool match against a team in Portsmouth,oh dear,absolute carnage.

I do remember walking past one evening only to see a chair half sticking through one of the windows! The one time i was there and it kicked off, it did all start around the pool tables involving a large group of guys, could well of been the 'Pompey incident'. I did not hang around long enough to find out ?.

Just now, Gazred said:

I do remember walking past one evening only to see a chair half sticking through one of the windows! The one time i was there and it kicked off, it did all start around the pool tables involving a large group of guys, could well of been the 'Pompey incident'. I did not hang around long enough to find out ?.

This was actually in Portsmouth,the Felly took a coach load down there,it might of even been two coach loads,as I said carnage.

• Haha 1

On 15/03/2021 at 14:28, E.G.Red said:

Well they've got managerless Charlton tomorrow. So I expect they will hoping for a win, whilst a victory for Charlton would put them in play off contention.

I wonder how Bowyer leaving will effect them tonight? Is it right he is going to Birmingham, I thought Karanka was supposed to be gone yesterday?

The Anchor (now Air Balloon) wasn’t a football pub but was mental, and was responsible for the last bus to Patchway in the 80’s being the only bus in Bristol to warrant a screen for the driver. Even that wasn’t enough on Friday and Saturday when the bus would terminate the stop before at Filton Library.

12 hours ago, Nicki's soulmate said:

Plus the Sceptre, (Baldwin St, near Bristol Bridge, and for a while the Assize Courts, till we had that as well. 

Don't ever recall the Sceptre being called a Rovers pub. It just seemed like a pub for passers by.