IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks said:

Is it really that long ago they last played 2nd tier football?

Yes that long ago and since then plenty of clubs that they consistently call "tinpot" Burton, Yeovil, Wycombe etc have all played 2nd tier football, embarrassing for the poor souls ?

I want to know who the "Ted" that calls themselves "Gaschat" and has infiltrated their forum pointing out the truth about their attendances (such as haven't averaged 10K for 40 years, yes that's FORTY) and outlines what the likelihood of them getting 18-20K crowds at Championship level is!! He/She sneakily uses terms like "us" and "we" to fool the moderators who, based on their understanding of offside, clearly are fools. Funnily enough, no replies to that post...................

Another "traitor", but clearly a Tesco Bagger this time, uses Wembley attendances to post about the hordes the Boob Cricketers would attract if they got promoted and states that in a crowd of 47K for their Conference play-off final at least "30K" must have been Glass Butters, a bit of a nosedive from previous #gaslogic estimates there, the estimates that proved beyond all doubt (if you are a Horse Puncher) that they matched our 42K for the Walsall final and ignoring clear photographic evidence showing they had nothing like it.

Joey Barton is understood to be taking legal action having been sold a pup and signed a Contract in circumstances that Nick Higgs assured him were watertight.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just had a quick look at their remaining fixtures this season;

just a couple of 6 pointers...... including away at the Pastie munchers on Saturday, home to Swindon next Tuesday (followed by a visit from LJ) and away to Northampton in April. Fixtues against Crewe, MK Dons and at Blackpool on the last day.....bless 'em didnt they secure Division 3 Champions at Blackpool? Karma can be such a bitch

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

just a couple of 6 pointers...... including away at the Pastie munchers on Saturday, home to Swindon next Tuesday (followed by a visit from LJ) and away to Northampton in April. Fixtues against Crewe, MK Dons and at Blackpool on the last day.....bless 'em didnt they secure Division 3 Champions at Blackpool? Karma can be such a bitch

Something one or two of them are worried about:

2000/01 - Relegated

2010/11 - Relegated

2020/21 - ????

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Such a shame that Sir Colin of Daniel isn't still at Blackpool for the last game of the season......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

Such a shame that Sir Colin of Daniel isn't still at Blackpool for the last game of the season......

Someone should suggest that they "forget" to bring a kit and have to "borrow" one from their opponents on the final day....

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

They had an average of just over 5k that season with the lowest gate being 2,761.

The highest was 12,957 which I assume was against City or their last game at Eastville.

Pathetic either way.

Their last game at Eastville attracted around 3500 ‘loyal and true’.

We had more fans in the EastEnd for the last game that was open.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

1980/81 - Relegated.

This made me wonder what happened in 1990/91. 13th in the Second division (now Champ), not too bad mind....

However I couldn't help noticing their highest attendance 7k and lowest attendance 4k. I heard they'd get 20k in the Champ ?

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

This made me wonder what happened in 1990/91. 13th in the Second division (now Champ), not too bad mind....

However I couldn't help noticing their highest attendance 7k and lowest attendance 4k. I heard they'd get 20k in the Champ ?

All based on Greater Bristol's population and ignoring the fact that loads of locals are anti-football types who moan about football/football hooliganism (but are quite happy to see statues they don't like ripped up and thrown in the docks), a sizeable amount aren't sporty or follow other sports like Rugby and whilst not anti-football are not interested in it enough to pay and watch it, a large number of people aren't Bristolian, love football but support other clubs and have no interest in following ours, an equally sizeable amount are Bristolian glory hunters that "support" Liverpool, Man Utd, Whoever is in Fashion FC leaving a relatively small pool who would follow us or them - potentially 80K absolute tops I would guesstimate but probably much less. Of that lot we clearly have a majority in terms of people who prefer us and certainly a lot more who have any intention of actually getting off their arses and paying money to go to games, whatever the division, and that leaves an even smaller pool of "floaters" who might watch them if they achieved something although many of those are equally as likely to watch us in those circumstances leaving a tiny pool who could be persuaded to watch Rovers but not us because they don't like us for whatever reason.

So where is the 200% uplift in attendances coming from? Recent history tells us they get 9-10K when top 6 in League 1, 5-7K when they aren't (we were getting just under 11K when O'Driscoll had us bottom of League 1) so I could see them getting 12-13K if they were mid-table in our league and not playing in a tented cesspit (ignoring away teams who bring 5K with them) but where are the rest coming from?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

All based on Greater Bristol's population and ignoring the fact that loads of locals are anti-football types who moan about football/football hooliganism (but are quite happy to see statues they don't like ripped up and thrown in the docks), a sizeable amount aren't sporty or follow other sports like Rugby and whilst not anti-football are not interested in it enough to pay and watch it, a large number of people aren't Bristolian, love football but support other clubs and have no interest in following ours, an equally sizeable amount are Bristolian glory hunters that "support" Liverpool, Man Utd, Whoever is in Fashion FC leaving a relatively small pool who would follow us or them - potentially 80K absolute tops I would guesstimate but probably much less. Of that lot we clearly have a majority in terms of people who prefer us and certainly a lot more who have any intention of actually getting off their arses and paying money to go to games, whatever the division, and that leaves an even smaller pool of "floaters" who might watch them if they achieved something although many of those are equally as likely to watch us in those circumstances leaving a tiny pool who could be persuaded to watch Rovers but not us because they don't like us for whatever reason.

So where is the 200% uplift in attendances coming from? Recent history tells us they get 9-10K when top 6 in League 1, 5-7K when they aren't (we were getting just under 11K when O'Driscoll had us bottom of League 1) so I could see them getting 12-13K if they were mid-table in our league and not playing in a tented cesspit (ignoring away teams who bring 5K with them) but where are the rest coming from?

Bullshit GIFs | Tenor

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt - Find & Share on GIPHY

Edited by Ska Junkie

3 hours ago, weepywall said:

Yes that long ago and since then plenty of clubs that they consistently call "tinpot" Burton, Yeovil, Wycombe etc have all played 2nd tier football, embarrassing for the poor souls ?

The Blue Few in the Second Division / tier of English football:

The 1950s - nine seasons (highest finish: 6th)

The 1970s - seven seasons (highest finish: 15th)

The 1990s - three seasons (highest finish: 13th)

Conclusion : increasingly challenging, for them. How long will they manage if/when they climb so high again?

In the 50s, perhaps money and wages wasn't as vital as it is nowadays. The Championship now - they'd do well to match Rotherham. They'll need eleven/a team of Tillsons just to do a bit better than Wycombe.  

6 hours ago, TomF said:

Ah would make sense.  I did find a website with some sort of collection of photos of Eastville.  Look at the crowds for the last ever game v Chesterfield, must be at least 50k http://bristolroversmemorabilia.weebly.com/eastville-stadium-22294252.html

Some interesting photos. I particularly liked this one from 1965. Basically Rovers had plans to develop Eastville into a super stadium.  Amazingly nothing happened and now, after a series of false starts they’re going to build a super stadium at the fruit market 

9CEB4018-B8C8-4B19-8223-BE7B63F2F5C3.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, GreedyHarry said:

The Anchor (now Air Balloon) wasn’t a football pub but was mental, and was responsible for the last bus to Patchway in the 80’s being the only bus in Bristol to warrant a screen for the driver. Even that wasn’t enough on Friday and Saturday when the bus would terminate the stop before at Filton Library.

Went up there a few times with the meaders in the late 70’s ,it emptied out quicker than a w***** knickers.

Somebody on Gaschat seems to have cottoned on....

Some people aren't ever satisfied.

Remember that Wael has the best experts, people who have built countless stadiums, if it wasn't for him putting all of this in place we may be 5 years down the road and still playing in something that looks like the film set for Carry On Camping.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

Some interesting photos. I particularly liked this one from 1965. Basically Rovers had plans to develop Eastville into a super stadium.  Amazingly nothing happened and now, after a series of false starts they’re going to build a super stadium at the fruit market 

The words that stand out for me here are  "DELAY" "SENSIBLE" "STATEMENT"

How very apt!!  - They have been delaying sensible statements on building a stadium since 1965. 

When talking of a stadium everyone involved at that hopelessly needy club seems to prefer to spout crap - actually even in this report the directors couldn't help themselves from resorting to ridiculous hyperbole - "They have bold ideas for developing the stadium as the biggest sports centre in the south west", "I feel sure we could get the backing of some top business people in the area - this thing could mushroom straight away"

The common thread in all of their stadium plans for the last 55 years seems to be that "someone else pays" - the reason that "someone else pays" is because they are broke, the reason they are broke is mainly because their fans cant be arsed to turn up. They are far from the most loyal, special fans in the country/world/universe unless you count the level of North Korean like fanta - sy

Still the fruit market is nearly ready right? Since its opening in late 2021 they must be doing final fit and finish stuff? Anyone got pictures or drone Footage like the Brentford fans had?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

That Milne bloke's moustache looks somewhat familiar ?

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, cityal said:

The words that stand out for me here are  "DELAY" "SENSIBLE" "STATEMENT"

How very apt!!  - They have been delaying sensible statements on building a stadium since 1965. 

When talking of a stadium everyone involved at that hopelessly needy club seems to prefer to spout crap - actually even in this report the directors couldn't help themselves from resorting to ridiculous hyperbole - "They have bold ideas for developing the stadium as the biggest sports centre in the south west", "I feel sure we could get the backing of some top business people in the area - this thing could mushroom straight away"

The only thing "mushroomy" are the fans............kept in the dark and fed on bullshit .

I also notice the Supporters club  were at loggerheads ,even then !

Plus ca change.

10 hours ago, CiderJar said:

Back in the days when they averaged 18 k, cough.

image.thumb.jpeg.0e7b1c2b1b9f0a21773065060fe3ac04.jpeg

That is just about where I stood as Martyn Hirst slotted the winner in 1983. I ended up somewhere completely different mind. Best game ever.

You must have been by me i ended up down the left hand side after about 10 mins of surfing 

• Like 1