IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

• Admin
3 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

There is just too much history between some of us on here and Rovers fans, which is why some on here just don’t get it.
I ain’t gonna bother listing the incidents as most will know what I am on about on here. Fact is they hate us and we (most of us) hate them more. 
They can **** off to Div 2 and stay there as far as I am concerned. That is where those stinking Horfield whores belong.
End off .....

Far too generous, I’d rather they disappeared, with no Phoenix.........

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Oh you are all are in love with him, aren't you!

As a Bristolian who remembers some cracking local derbies with the Gas at home and away. I'm a City supporter but that doesn't mean I want them to sink into the Fourth Tier. 

I'd rather they were in the same league as us, giving us an extra incentive to remain as Bristol's best.

So for me, I'd like to see them stuff Sunderland and their manager this evening.

Assuming you are living abroad, that would explain a lot. You don't have to live near   the rancorous toads !

I get when you live across the water for a while you yearn for everything and anything "Bristol" .  Well, you're welcome to them ,lock ,stock and stinking barrel !

1 hour ago, Hampshire Red said:

Some of you may read this nervous thatJohnson  is coming back to the club where even his bad runs are less embarrassing the run DH/NP have now overseen of 6 home defeats on the bounce?

No, he is coming with a tream he is quickly transforming and moulding into a winning side in a way no recent Sunderland manager has been able to do.

Unity for once, I hope on this forum that we really hope he gets a big win at the Memorial Tip. Like last night, i will have a glass for any away goal in an away win - and i rarely raise a toast to Swindle.

Anyone think Rovers will go as bottom team?

Anyone think they will swap places with the better (F.G) Rovers of the West Country?

Isn’t there a Lee Johnson forum you can post on ?

59 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

I agree, I don't want them in the fourth tier either. I would love to see the famous blue and white quarters playing on the Downs!

Oh yeah!!!!

You want them on the Downs? What have the Downs League teams done to deserve this? No, no and thrice no. They should go to Dartmoor 

7 hours ago, pongo88 said:

This is probably the most sensible thing said about Wael on the forum. He’s got some money but absolutely no business brains. Owning the Rovers is just some Walter Mitty fantasy for him 

I just watched 8 minutes of Joey Barton's post match interview from last night (it is partly an obsession, partly a love of comedy). During the interview when he bemoans, amongst other things, Trevor Kettle's lack of fitness, he mentions that Bristol Rovers have foundations in sand, maybe that is part of the fake sheik's legacy. It is fairly early on in the interview so you won't have to waste a full eight minutes of your life to hear it for yourself...

Edit: 3:05 "Everything that we build is built on sand"

Edited by CiderJar

They were lucky to bounce back out of the conference first time.
Half of my life weve been above them now. Couldnt care less about them, especially when friends of mine who are gasheads seem more concerned by our results than their own. 
When they try to take the piss out of us when they are where they are i say sod em and hopefully they fall again and again!!

I've said before on this thread growing up in Winterbourne and Frampton in the early 80's was not a good time. How I loved that Martyn Hirst winner. We were back. It was crap in 1990 but God did his hamstring.

They've got a real personality complex with us now and then, I couldn't give a shit about them and hope they end up on the downs leagues.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Half of my life weve been above them now. Couldnt care less about them, especially when friends of mine who are gasheads seem more concerned by our results than their own. 
When they try to take the piss out of us when they are where they are i say sod em and hopefully they fall again and again!!

The fact that there are Fewers who have produced children who have subsequently produced their own children since they were last above us in the league just about sums it up..........

It’s interesting and funny reading this thread. My first City game was 2001ish, I think I just missed out on witnessing a league derby... I’m now 26. Pretty tragic really!

I don’t necessarily hate them, they’re so far behind us in every aspect I possibly couldn’t. 

Doubt whether those from North Bristol of the 70’s are greatly different, in that probably have more Bristol Gassy friends than City. Indeed, I was best man to a Gashead and vice versa, and he remains one of my best friends to this day. While most of them were ‘standard’ fans, knew some of their absolute nutters well too. Given that, it was a bit alarming when I was persuaded to ball boy at Eastvile (once) with a couple of the normal Gassys, after playing a football match with them nearby (on the basis I would have to walk 8 miles home rather than get a lift). I’ve felt unclean ever since btw. 

I’d be absolutely delighted if they crashed out of the League, but would prefer them in the National League South than out of existence.

Hang on. No. Having re-read that, I’d love it for them to be out of existence.

Don’t think those who didn’t experience the 70’s rivalries can understand the ‘relationship’ those of my generation have with the Sags.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

The cr*p we went through in 1982, my school days putting up with a majority of gas 'friends'. Girlfriends who supported the Gas. Family who never went to watch the Gas but revelled in them beating us (w*nkers). 

This is all for them ?

.... goading and belittling us.

Yes, same in this family. A beloved aunt, no longer with us, but she did like to decry the club in Bristol that had actually reached the top level, and contested an FA Cup final, made it to League Cup semi finals.

All this whilst not having set foot in Eastville (never mind Trumpton) since about 1959.

Also, used to work with a bloke at Aztec West that "used to go" down Eastville but long since stopped, but he didn't let this get in the way of him spouting off about us. And the bloke next door to him cleaning his car in the rain, I seem to remember. 

And I am now remembering a quite recent work encounter with what might be termed a "millennial" Fewer young chap, in which we struck up a conversation whilst waiting for an electrician to turn up, and on learning he was from Fishponds or some such, I enquired as to his allegiance, to which he answered "Rovers." I probed further, confident in my years of experience, my sharp wit and the current status imbalance and 18 years and all that, looking for some "sport" while we waited, only for him to reveal "I, er, don't actually go."

Oh, right. Where's that leccy to? I pondered, and that was that.

This city is a funny old place. If Big Nige manages to work the longed-for but unlikely miracle here, then a lot of people that are Rovers but don't watch Rovers are going to be upset, but not so upset that they aren't in the clamour for tickets to see Liverpool, Man Utd and all their other "Premiership teams" at AG.

Edited by Moments of Pleasure
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

45 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

It’s interesting and funny reading this thread. My first City game was 2001ish, I think I just missed out on witnessing a league derby... I’m now 26. Pretty tragic really!

I don’t necessarily hate them, they’re so far behind us in every aspect I possibly couldn’t. 

I think this is the natural order of things.

I'm in my 40s and have reason to, as pretty much most of us who lived through that 80s-early 90s period probably do.

I also find it intresting the other way around, never to have known (hopefully you never will!) a time when they were competive and often got the better of us and everything you had to endure because of that. What they did when we nearly vanished was a tad before my time in memory but the legacy of that is never forgotten. I've only ever known them as a scabby little club with some of the most bitter and pathetic football supporters i have ever met.

Perhaps other supporters in your bracket are actually better off as you get to just sit back and enjoy the freak show without any of the pain of years gone by.

Edited by Gazred
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

So for me, I'd like to see them stuff Sunderland and their manager this evening.

....well, I’ve got some bad news for you.

In fact I imagine you know what it is already if you’ve tuned in the old wireless to cheer on those plucky wrong uns.

1 hour ago, nickolas said:

Half of my life we've been above them now. Couldn't care less about them, especially when friends of mine who are gasheads seem more concerned by our results than their own. 

Very lucky !

That Conference Final at "Wembly" they certainly rode it !

Puddy (?!) the keeper should have been sent off after 10 mins.

They then brought on their decent (ageing) keeper Mildenhall for the penalties.

How would have it panned out if they needed to bring him on for 80 mins + 30 mins, and then the penalties, whilst playing with 10 men ?

i think buying matty taylor was the best thing we ever did to hurt rovers, they had got promoted twice and were around the play offs in january when we bought him . he had scored about 15 goals and with 4 months left in the season could have helped them into the play offs.

31 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Very lucky !

That Conference Final at "Wembly" they certainly rode it !

Puddy (?!) the keeper should have been sent off after 10 mins.

They then brought on their decent (ageing) keeper Mildenhall for the penalties.

How would have it panned out if they needed to bring him on for 80 mins + 30 mins, and then the penalties, whilst playing with 10 men ?

Exactly this!! Non league ref bottled the obvious red card as it was early in the game. 
The certainly wouldve had a harder time with ten men. 
I almost think they’d have never come back if they hadnt had come up first time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

Another Greeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaat comment on Asschat

'The Mem will be a decent ground in L2 and we'll also have decent training facilities, assuming Wael continues to back us we should also be decent payers.'

WTF ?

3 hours ago, 22A said:

They wish; St Albans Cityimage.png.ae5f676c0d259c4f09d659664a4079bf.png

More like this level; image.png.1e3b18f9ffb10e0f712805d2e3d1bc47.png

Just to be fair I have picked out a few teams that are mid table and likely to still be in league 2 next season, just to show the competition.

This is Colchester United. Bradfird City and their friends Mansfield.

image.thumb.png.b4e8d884f1cdc54b7bc0b273c20de9f6.png

Large.jpeg

bradford-city-stadium.jpg

I mean, none of them are a patch on the mem. ;)

Edited by Port Said Red

9 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

That's semantics really.

The biggest demand for tickets in a season would come in a game where we were playing the Rovers.  That would be the most important game of the season for us.

We have competitors within the Championship but there is only one genuine rivalry for City and it isn't with Cardiff, Swindon, or Plymouth.

just to backup your reasoning here @Eddie Hitler I've just looked up the first round attendance figures for the 2013 Tinpot Trophy, Southern Section (South-West Group).

Exeter 0-2 Wycombe.                           1654

Cheltenham 3-3 Plymouth.                  1236

Torquay 0-0 Portsmouth.                     1951

Bristol City 2-1 Bristol Nomarks.        17888

You've nailed it my friend.  ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Assuming you are living abroad, that would explain a lot. You don't have to live near   the rancorous toads !

I get when you live across the water for a while you yearn for everything and anything "Bristol" .  Well, you're welcome to them ,lock ,stock and stinking barrel !

My forum name was initiated when I lived in Portugal. I moved back to Bristol in 2013.

My initial post was a reply to Hampshire Red @Hampshire Redwho appears to be stuck up Lee Johnson's rectum, or is chairman of his fan club. The LJ whose continual purchase of players has given us a grossly oversize playing staff with many of them clearly not good enough for top end of Championship.

As for BRFC, as a youngster growing up in post war Bristol, I often went to watch Rovers because apart from City it was the only way to watch a game every other Saturday. Dad also, as a Welsh man, took me to Cardiff and because we had relatives there Leicester City. Also to City away games. So like many of my era, I loved watching football to see so many of the stars of the day.

I had coaching from City and Rovers players as a teenager. I've always supported City but I respect players and fans from all other teams. And I genuinely believe that if BRFC were in the same league as us, we'd get two humdinger derby games and make our club more determined to finish above them every year.

A good enough reply to your sarcasm? @slartibartfast

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 3

I hate them with a passion (as they do with us) and will always enjoy even the slightest footballing related mishap they have to suffer (which thankfully are plentiful and often).

Unfortunately the truer the Rovers fan, the more abhorrent their behaviour is, and this often culminates in an out-pouring of bitter, irrational, City related jealousy.

Rejoice in this thread and make the most of it. They are our biggest rivals and always will be. Make no bones, if it was the other way round it would be unbearable. All of us with long enough memories will agree, and thats the way it should be.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

My forum name was initiated when I lived in Portugal. I moved back to Bristol in 2013.

My initial post was a reply to Hampshire Red @Hampshire Redwho appears to be stuck up Lee Johnson's rectum, or is chairman of his fan club. The LJ whose continual purchase of players has given us a grossly oversize playing staff with many of them clearly not good enough for top end of Championship.

As for BRFC, as a youngster growing up in post war Bristol, I often went to watch Rovers because apart from City it was the only way to watch a game every other Saturday. Dad also, as a Welsh man, took me to Cardiff and because we had relatives there Leicester City. Also to City away games. So like many of my era, I loved watching football to see so many of the stars of the day.

I had coaching from City and Rovers players as a teenager. I've always supported City but I respect players and fans from all other teams. And I genuinely believe that if BRFC were in the same league as us, we'd get two humdinger derby games and make our club more determined to finish above them every year.

A good enough reply to your sarcasm? @slartibartfast

Sarcasm ? Where was I sarcastic ? I may have been ill informed about your location, but I meant every word of my dislike for the few. As for rip roaring derbys, been there ,done that, going back to the mid sixties. We have nothing to prove to them ,the only thing we can do is lose!

I also went to Eastville to watch "them" occasionally, and with my dad (who also was Welsh) to watch Cardiff (Toshack, Clark et al) and the old Arms Park      Re LJ couldn't agree more .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1