IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I watched a game at Sincil Bank once (non City) and it was about -10!!! Even the half time cuppa froze!!

It wasn`t watching City but I was at Exeter for a night game against someone. It was so cold the Mars bar I bought from the big bank kiosk was frozen solid and I couldn`t eat it till I got it home and thawed it out.

Grimsby I agree with - cold wind off the North Sea (the ground`s only the other side of the railway line from the beach) but bloody a bloody lovely cod lot!

7 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I've not been to either of those and many say Hartlepool and the old Darlington ground were also miserable and  cold 

Neither of those were too bad as it goes. Hartlepool`s old fashioned but in a neat and tidy way and Feethams was next to the cricket ground and you had to walk round the boundary to get in.

The coldest I have ever been was at AG funnily enough. A home game v Ipswich about three or four years ago. It was in March and a lovely sunny day but there was a horrendously cold wind blowing straight into the South Stand  and the wind chill took it to about 15 below.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Neither of those were too bad as it goes. Hartlepool`s old fashioned but in a neat and tidy way and Feethams was next to the cricket ground and you had to walk round the boundary to get in.

The coldest I have ever been was at AG funnily enough. A home game v Ipswich about three or four years ago. It was in March and a lovely sunny day but there was a horrendously cold wind blowing straight into the South Stand  and the wind chill took it to about 15 below.

Cheers LL it's great to share memories of old style football grounds 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I remember that game. Was the second game I took my (8 yr old) daughter to and we froze. I think we left after 60 odd minutes as we were close to gangrene. 

• Like 1

The advantage of large attendances at  matches at Ashton Gate in recent years is that the other spectators act as a wind break and keep you warm. Back in the days when attendances were below 10k you could be isolated and hit by a blast of cold air coming directly from the North Pole. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The advantage of large attendances at  matches at Ashton Gate in recent years is that the other spectators act as a wind break and keep you warm. Back in the days when attendances were below 10k you could be isolated and hit by a blast of cold air coming directly from the North Pole. 

The trouble is though, you`re stuck in your seat and can`t shelter behind a fat bloke (or in the case of most other fans, shelter behind me)

52 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It wasn`t watching City but I was at Exeter for a night game against someone. It was so cold the Mars bar I bought from the big bank kiosk was frozen solid and I couldn`t eat it till I got it home and thawed it out.

Grimsby I agree with - cold wind off the North Sea (the ground`s only the other side of the railway line from the beach) but bloody a bloody lovely cod lot!

used to see a girl in Grimsby....she'd be offended at Cod (wrong Coast). The biggest Haddock Ive seen in my life were on sale in Grimsby though.....try Steels Fish Restaurant. Jeeeeeeezzzuuuusss....thats a serious portion....I'll even do em an ad Our Story | Steels Cornerhouse Restaurant, Cleethorpes UK

Edited by Sweeneys Penalties

1 hour ago, cider hoss rules said:

Blundell Park, home of Grimsby Town - which is situated in Cleethorpes - is by far the coldest I've ever been at a ground, even Boundary Park was temperate compared to this place

I remember going there at the beginning of the season and the sum was out!   1-1.  Torpey, then he took a forearm smash and never really cut the mustard.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Isawjonshaw said:

I remember going there at the beginning of the season and the sum was out!   1-1.  Torpey, then he took a forearm smash and never really cut the mustard.  

Ah, the old 'I'll crawl over the severn bridge to play for City' game. I was there too. He looked pretty good until he was comatosed! 

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

I watched a game at Sincil Bank once (non City) and it was about -10!!! Even the half time cuppa froze!!

I once went to a testimonial match at AG (Cheesley’s perhaps?) when it was so, so cold. My mate and I stopped in Redcliffe for a drink, saw something called Owd Roger, drank two pints and can’t remember driving home (sorry officer). Turned out it was something like 9%. 

I remember being frozen at a home game against Wednesday on a Saturday afternoon.

I had a Saturday job on Park Street and because it had started snowing there was next to no shoppers out and about, so come 1pm, you can go home.

A 99p Micky Finns lunchbox and off to the gate I head. In jogging trousers and a t-shirt.

No idea what the score was, just remember spending a fortune on Bovril. (Might have been a draw, I do remember they got the orange ball out).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I remember being frozen at a home game against Wednesday on a Saturday afternoon.

I had a Saturday job on Park Street and because it had started snowing there was next to no shoppers out and about, so come 1pm, you can go home.

A 99p Micky Finns lunchbox and off to the gate I head. In jogging trousers and a t-shirt.

No idea what the score was, just remember spending a fortune on Bovril. (Might have been a draw, I do remember they got the orange ball out).

Now, Micky Finns lunchbox!! That was the absolute business. I never quite got my head around the value.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

If that was the same match, there was an announcement over the tannoy that, due to the inclement weather, the last train back to Sheffield would be leaving at around 17H00ish so fans would have to leave 'soonish' or spend the night in Bristol.

Cue the chant, 'One Bed and Breakfast, there's only one Bed and Breakfast'.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Vespa Red said:

I was Doing in a pub in Chepstow about 4 years ago (The Fives - I was playing a mixture of reggae, ska and northern) when a skinhead walks in.  Not a regular but he heard the music and thought he'd come in.  Turns out he was Gas.  Found out I was a City fan but we got on like a house on fire.  He was quite pissed mind.

Know quite a few Sags in Caldicot - 2 or 3 lived here for a few years but more moved in recently.  Quite a few City as well (probably more).

we always used the brewers in chepstow to meet up before we went to the gate and sometimes back in after for a few.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I was stood on the Open End for that match. My mates went home at half time as it was so unbelievably ******* cold but for some reason I decided to stay despite not being able to feel my feet. 

Ive never been so freezing in my life before or since.

We drew 1-1.

I’d just like to briefly interrupt this chat about being cold to remind people that the Gas are shit, have virtually no fans left in Bristol, are not actually ‘coming for us’ like they claimed and may even go down before their own manager.

What a bunch of utter clowns, no wonder we don’t take them seriously anymore ?

As you were...

• Like 7
  • Haha 6
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I’d just like to briefly interrupt this chat about being cold to remind people that the Gas are shit, have virtually no fans left in Bristol, are not actually ‘coming for us’ like they claimed and may even go down before their own manager.

What a bunch of utter clowns, no wonder we don’t take them seriously anymore ?

As you were...

They should have “See you next season, Teds!” embroidered on their club badge, given they trot it out every year without fail. What a bunch of deluded, self-pitying flanges the Gash are.

See you next season? Bunch of C U Next Tuesdays more like.

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I was stood on the Open End for that match. My mates went home at half time as it was so unbelievably ******* cold but for some reason I decided to stay despite not being able to feel my feet. 

Ive never been so freezing in my life before or since.

We drew 1-1.

Was that the game when a blizzard struck ?

Recall the singing to the Sheff Weds fans "We're going home, we're going home, you're not, you're not !"

8 minutes ago, Super said:

I think they will win tomorrow then be back in with a chance.

Which would be great, as they say, it's the hope the kills. Actually, what would be even better.... a 97 minute equaliser a la Fulham yesterday. :)

Going back to the lovely Mr Barton, I have to wonder if he was able to convince Wael of Fortune of his innocence or at least of his defence case to get the job. If he gets found guilty you would think it would be a custodial sentence with his previous record, so this "long term project" he keeps whittling on about it would be a non starter.

25 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Was that the game when a blizzard struck ?

Recall the singing to the Sheff Weds fans "We're going home, we're going home, you're not, you're not !"

Yes, that’s the one. ?

26 minutes ago, Super said:

Probably.

They are now 10/1 to stay up with Sky Bet. Worth a few quid if you like a flutter....for insurance purposes.

Always gamble responsibly.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Super said:

I don’t think so. They need seven points to stay up if no one else around them gets a single point from this point on - there are so many team they have to out perform, I’m starting to think they’re down. 

44 minutes ago, Super said:

Every chance they will, MK Dons season is over.

However with Pompey & Blackpool away to come, even winning both their home games would see them go down, as no way are Wigan, with 3 wins on the spin, going to fail to get another point in 4 games, the last of which is Swindon at home.

Be nice to see them relegated on the last day having thought they still have a chance.

Edited by GrahamC

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Every chance they will, MK Dons season is over.

However with Pompey & Blackpool away to come, even winning both their home games would see them go down, as no way are Wigan, with 3 wins on the spin, going to fail to get another point in 4 games, the last of which is Swindon at home.

Be nice to see them relegated on the last day having thought they still have a chance.

I think I’d prefer relegate tomorrow. 

is that possible?

• Like 1