IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

27 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

What a beautiful morning!

Let me brighten it some more by easing some of the worry they might get a spawny miracle....

I took a look at https://footystats.org/clubs/bristol-rovers-fc-244

While they are not yet 100% confirmed as relegated, and they have a "mathematical chance" (or in gas-logic an 8/5ths chance ?) of staying up, the last time the gas won 3 games in a row (which is the absolute minimum they now need) was Dec 2019. These were the last 3 games of Coughlan's management, before he jumped ship to a bigger/better club in Mansfield Town, who were in the division below at the time.

Two of the teams they have to play in their next three games, Portsmouth and Blackpool, are involved in a desperately close fight for play-off places, with 3 pts separating four teams including the aforementioned pair. I doubt somehow either will lie down and let everyone's favourite second team take the points.

Wigan, the only team they can possibly catch, have hit good form winning their last four games, and they have Swindon to play the final game of the season.

Edited by cityal
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

By my maths haven’t we now guaranteed ourselves another 800 odd days above them?

I haven't worked it out but less than that I would think. Worst case scenario is we get relegated next season and they get promoted, they have a better opening game than us in the 22/23 season. Whats that, about 500 days?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Welcome to the gas! Blimey, Will next season be the one we start going places?

Yep

Jay Bear Jones: So three signing in three days all quality players, what has happened to rag bag Rovers?

You really want to know ? 

3 minutes ago, Super said:

They must fear the worst now when playing teams beginning with M

Or A,B,C,D ...

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

À spokesman for Bristol Rovers denied that the use of chewing tobacco had any effect on the players.

339C6AC6-F710-4CAC-97C4-F98DE7F7085A.jpeg

"Surely there must be an effect?" ... "No, no effect and stop calling me Shirley"     

(Doesn't work quite so well in writing..... :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

sag, 

1. Sink, subside or bulge downwards under weight or pressure or through lack of strength. 

2. Decline to a lower level, usually temporarily *

And 3. (From the Oxford online 'learner' dictionary) to hang or bend down in the middle, especially because of weight or pressure, a sagging roof. 'The tent began to sag under the weight of the rain'**. 'Her shoulders sagged in defeat' ***.

"The tent began to sag because of the weight of the rain/League One"

So, sag: sink, subside, decline, down.****

* "usually"

** not made up. 

***I bet they did. "Goodnight," love.

****and "tent"

• Haha 8

3 hours ago, CiderJar said:

Some breakfast listening for you. You are welcome.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09ctvs9

Thanks.

The guy at 12:30 minute sums up Basement Bristol Rovers:

"They are failing the fans, they are failing the city" - Wrong. You are not failing the City, we are delighted with this result, you did so well for us boys, the lot of you, from your owner down to all your awful managers and useless players.

"They are an absolute disgrace" - Agreed. BBRFC is a disgrace, and has been since at least 1982

"Not going to bounce back despite our deluded fans thinking we will" - Agreed, your fans are very deluded, and your not going to bounce back with that squad.

Its a lovely day out there, enjoy the 2 division gap everyone!

It's been so sudden at the bottom of L1. Nearly everyone's burst to life.  Rochdale have won 9 points in a week and Wigan and the Dons have both earned a quarter of our total points for the season in the last week and a half!

Perfect storm for Rovers who've responded by imploding. Exciting nail biting stuff for the rest of us.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

This is all very good fun, but with our squad for next year after being asset stripped i don’t expect to see us to be doing much better than that lot have done this year.

Yep- I can certainly see us finishing bottom of league one next season..

**** off.

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

Anyone else hoping they win their next 2 games 2-0 and everyone above them loses....and then they win their final match with Wigan behind in the 93rd minute before an inexplicable Swindon own goal rescues a point for the Latics and sends the six fingered cousin lovers down?

They say it's the hope that kills ya.  They'd be celebrating and celebrating only to come crashing down to earth!

6 minutes ago, Yellow&Blue&Red said:

It's been so sudden at the bottom of L1. Nearly everyone's burst to life.  Rochdale have won 9 points in a week and Wigan and the Dons have both earned a quarter of our total points for the season in the last week and a half!

Perfect storm for Rovers who've responded by imploding. Exciting nail biting stuff for the rest of us.

Come on the Wombles 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rob said:

Thanks.

The guy at 12:30 minute sums up Basement Bristol Rovers:

"They are failing the fans, they are failing the city" - Wrong. You are not failing the City, we are delighted with this result, you did so well for us boys, the lot of you, from your owner down to all your awful managers and useless players.

Can’t be arsed to listen to their sad tales but what they cannot comprehend is that for the overwhelming majority of this city they simply no longer matter.

Pre pandemic they were often getting crowds of 6,500, since that time their on field performances have declined, so they would be lucky to get that now.

Despite the media locally still giving them false equivalence (equal coverage, this “blue half of Bristol” utter myth) aside from very very few, no one is remotely interested in them.

I said last week I genuinely can not recall the last time I saw anyone wearing a replica shirt of theirs.

We averaged 22,000 in the last season crowds were allowed, I doubt very much we would do so next season even if possible but truth is for anyone writing another of those articles about Bristol’s inability to punch its weight, we are the only game in town now, they are slowly dying.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Anyone else hoping they win their next 2 games 2-0 and everyone above them loses....and then they win their final match with Wigan behind in the 93rd minute before an inexplicable Swindon own goal rescues a point for the Latics and sends the six fingered cousin lovers down?

They say it's the hope that kills ya.  They'd be celebrating and celebrating only to come crashing down to earth!

Nope 

infact , I’ll add to that. I hope they get smashed every game , giving them little to hope for next season . Never forget their actions in 82 

Hope they go bust 

Edited by steviestevieneville
  • Like 11
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 7

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

The dream scenario would be for them to implode before then, Wally and Barton to leave and them not be able to field a team........ I guess last night has elevated the dream level, who’d have expected that set of results!

9 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Where’s that Weezord belter these days?

Funny how the team he claimed to support (Pompey) could make relegation a mathematical certainty for the team he didn’t have the balls to admit supporting (the Gas) this Saturday.

He was a complete tool. We have had some good posters from the other side in the past and @In the Netis always welcome (especially these days!)

• Like 1