IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

5 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Here we go....Turning Off The Gas........Enjoy ?

Very good ! I loved the quote on Points West before the MK game.

"I was walking (strutting) through town and everyone was wishing me well"etc.

In reality they were actually saying "You're playing a blinder ,Joey"......." Hope you stay for ever".............." You're the best manager Rovers have had this season !"

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jim Davey said:

didnt someone save the saucers and forgot about the cups.

now its all becoming clear to me. they take things that dont belong to them yes? so they burned their own stand down to nick the greyhound takings and then had the nerve to claim for their trophies which were infact the dogs water bowls ?

18 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

About the same percentage of stadium capacity as we sold.

Not quite, we sold 15,000 STs in a 27,000 seat stadium, over half the overall capacity.

The Gas can only dream of ever filling their tiny stadium let alone have 15,000 fans willing to pay for an ST.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, YorkshireSection said:

About the same percentage of stadium capacity as we sold.

I believe their season ticket sales are boosted by the the sale of standing tickets for £285 for an adult with the dearest being £320 standing. Our cheapest Adult ticket being £366. Would we have sold even more at those lower prices?

5 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Not a fan of the Party Seven then back in the day?

Not a fan of any bitter from the 70s. It's no wonder football fans used to beat shit out of each other in those days. Rage over the crap beer on offer.

I gather they've brought back Watney's Party Sevens now with a completely different brew. Might be safe to try...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Not a fan of any bitter from the 70s. It's no wonder football fans used to beat shit out of each other in those days. Rage over the crap beer on offer.

I gather they've brought back Watney's Party Sevens now with a completely different brew. Might be safe to try...

I remember the Double Diamond advert in the 70's. I seem to recall it showed the letter E filling up with the amber nectar. I mentioned this observation to Dad who said that when I reach adulthood I could go in a pub and order a pint of E. I did just that on my first visit to the Ship and Castle in Congresbury and they just stared at me. I was most put out. A big dream had been shattered. To this day the taste remains alusive.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I remember the Double Diamond advert in the 70's. I seem to recall it showed the letter E filling up with the amber nectar. I mentioned this observation to Dad who said that when I reach adulthood I could go in a pub and order a pint of E. I did just that on my first visit to the Ship and Castle in Congresbury and they just stared at me. I was most put out. A big dream had been shattered. To this day the taste remains alusive.

Now called the Congresbury Arms

• Admin
6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I wish you hadn't started this... I had nightmares last night of Courage Tavern, Ben Truman, Watneys Red Barrel, John Smiths and several other foul brews that were passed off as beer....

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I wish you hadn't started this... I had nightmares last night of Courage Tavern, Ben Truman, Watneys Red Barrel, John Smiths and several other foul brews that were passed off as beer....

Don’t forget Youngers Tartan... a truly hideous Scottish ‘beer’.

I suspect they may still have a few barrels (slightly out of date) of the stuff behind the bar at the Theatre of Tents?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I think that would've been an advert for Worthington E.  "Smooth and easy" went the tagline. The E stood for "Extra" as it was a bit stronger than the 2.2 OG (I kid ye not) normal Worthington Bitter.

It was sold from pumps with a big plastic E attached, which were a frequently swiped by teenaged 'erberts like me.

I wish I'd kept one. This bloke is selling one on eBay for £84!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124588262077?hash=item1d020a02bd:g:Hk4AAOSwPDVgFIR9

• Thanks 1

• Admin
32 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think that would've been an advert for Worthington E.  "Smooth and easy" went the tagline. The E stood for "Extra" as it was a bit stronger than the 2.2 OG (I kid ye not) normal Worthington Bitter.

It was sold from pumps with a big plastic E attached, which were a frequently swiped by teenaged 'erberts like me.

I wish I'd kept one. This bloke is selling one on eBay for £84!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124588262077?hash=item1d020a02bd:g:Hk4AAOSwPDVgFIR9

Was that ‘the pint that thinks it’s a quart’……   Actually, that’s wrong, I think it’s just come to me, Whitbread Trophy, I’m sure that was ‘the pint that thinks it’s a quart’   More fizzy muck……

Never could understand how that keg pasteurised muck got such a foothold into pubs, I have been a CAMRA member since the 70’s - when the Bristol branch met in the Stonehouse (miss that place) and always had a guest barrel at the meetings, that we had to finish before we could leave…. ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Was that ‘the pint that thinks it’s a quart’……   Actually, that’s wrong, I think it’s just come to me, Whitbread Trophy, I’m sure that was ‘the pint that thinks it’s a quart’   More fizzy muck……

Never could understand how that keg pasteurised muck got such a foothold into pubs, I have been a CAMRA member since the 70’s - when the Bristol branch met in the Stonehouse (miss that place) and always had a guest barrel at the meetings, that we had to finish before we could leave…. ?

At least Trophy had a nice jaunty, singalong advert.

Yeah, they were dark days indeed. I remember when Courage brought out Directors it was a breath of fresh air in their pubs, which seemed to be 3/4 of all houses in Somerset. 

My preferred drinking establishments - Tor Leisure Club and Mr B's in Glastonbury - only had Toby Bitter, which was basically brown water.  This is why as a young man I used to drink only lager.

In 1982, I moved to Kent and discovered the joys of Shepherds Neame and Fremlins.  Never went back to the fizzy stuff. 

• Like 1

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Yeah, they were dark days indeed. I remember when Courage brought out Directors it was a breath of fresh air in their pubs, which seemed to be 3/4 of all houses in Somerset. 

My preferred drinking establishments - Tor Leisure Club and Mr B's in Glastonbury - only had Toby Bitter, which was basically brown water.  This is why as a young man I used to drink only lager.

In 1982, I moved to Kent and discovered the joys of Shepherds Neame and Fremlins.  Never went back to the fizzy stuff. 

I’m still the same, would rather drink a pint of lager or even a soft drink than any of the fizzy beers, especially those that are ‘smooth’ - save that for Guinness

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

If you were in Kent in the eighties RR you may have come across Cobbs bitter. (It may have been earlier).  Truly awful stuff but when you are young in Margate, well, anything goes.

21 minutes ago, marmite said:

If you were in Kent in the eighties RR you may have come across Cobbs bitter. (It may have been earlier).  Truly awful stuff but when you are young in Margate, well, anything goes.

Never encountered that one. But then I lived in Whitstable, just down the road from Faversham, home of Shepherds Neame.

Being a student, you naturally went for the max strength beers - Bishop's Finger ale (known, inevitably, as Actresses Friend) or the aptly named Hurlimann's lager.