IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

8 hours ago, Mattyisared said:

Tbf to the sags, I usually check their players based on forums of other clubs, from what I can remember the initial reactions from fans for their signings last season, in comparison to how they ended up playing, based on one or two sag mates was the following:

Grant: Meh, better in midfield than defence. Seemed to fulfill that, couple shockers but generally just fine.

Baldwin: Sunderland fans hated him basically, very error-prone, fulfilled that at the sags

Ehmer: Rated highly by Gillingham fans, awful at the sags, lost his place in the team after being made captain (says a lot given how shite they were)

Nicholson: Generally unknown. From all accounts the sags' best player last season.

Ayunga: Goal record said it all beforehand and was apparently ass, which is to be expected when you sign a player who only 2 years beforehand scored something like 1 in 4 in the Conference.

Westbrooke: Rated by Coventry, underperformed at Rovers but got better apparently

Tutonda: Rated by Barnet, did well first couple games then Tisdale came in and basically never played again.

Hanlan: Gillingham fans laughed their heads off, was awful apparently, and all my gas mates said he started off okay at best and then scored like 1 in his last 30 :laugh:

Williams: Fine and played fine

McCormick: Unknown, one of their best players it seems

Oztumer: Rated by Walsall but not rated whatsoever by Bolton, played awfully

Initial thoughts from fans of previous clubs on these 4 seem to be:

Coutts: Rated highly

Hughes: Rated highly but old

Finley: Rated highly but very hot-headed

Can't even remember and can't be bothered to look up the last one's name, but he started last season captain at Carlisle and ended it backup to a 20 year old. Apparently he's dog. The one to look out for, the rest seem fine. Coutts is a decent signing in particular. 

Purely out of interest....why are you scouring other clubs Internet forums just to find out how ‘highly rated’ their latest Sunday League clogger is?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Purely out of interest....why are you scouring other clubs Internet forums just to find out how ‘highly rated’ their latest Sunday League clogger is?

Purely out of interest maybe?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

“Unlucky da shit” ... so, The Fruit Market Stadium must be opening soon, according to Wael’s original timeline - how’s it looking? Has anyone been past there recently? It must be pretty much finished because there’s no way ‘such a nice man’ would lie to their fans ... is there?!??

"These things take time....."

• Flames 1

5 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Because the inbred knobs hype up every player they sign, only player I can remember them being mortified over signing, ironically, was Clarke-Harris! Usually I'm just interested and want to see how much they've overhyped them, gives me good ammunition with gas mates when they sign a well rated player and he massively underperforms or when they sign a stinker who inevitably stinks the place out. 

1 hour ago, Mattyisared said:

Because the inbred knobs hype up every player they sign, only player I can remember them being mortified over signing, ironically, was Clarke-Harris! Usually I'm just interested and want to see how much they've overhyped them, gives me good ammunition with gas mates when they sign a well rated player and he massively underperforms or when they sign a stinker who inevitably stinks the place out. 

I certainly have never heard of any of them!

44 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I see they've signed Mark Hughes - he must be pushing 60 by now are they that short of players?

Even at 60 he'll run rings around the latest bunch of desperate has beens .

I'm just waiting for one of their latest "signings" to say ". . .when I heard Bristol Rovers were in for me it was a no brainer . . ." as in I'm desperate, so book me in for a full frontal lobotomy now. 

14 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Why does every single player they buy have a haunted look of their face during the photoshoot (the look of 'how has my career come to this?')

Because you never get to see the firing squad behind the photographer....

3 hours ago, Mattyisared said:

Fair enough ?

5 minutes ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

If Joey told him all this before he signed, then it must be true ....

"What was big on bringing me down to Bristol is the fans, the club and how massive the club is. Obviously I have played at Fleetwood and Accrington and no disrespect to them sides but the fan base here is unbelievable"

To be fair he's got a point. After all, they must get double the crowds of those 2 clubs and Roverzzzz have been a league club for less time than both of those....

• Haha 1
  • Flames 1

55 minutes ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

"What was big on bringing me down to Bristol is the fans, the club and how massive the club is. Obviously I have played at Fleetwood and Accrington and no disrespect to them sides but the fan base here is unbelievable"

"Joey told me how big the City is..."

Surely that should be....are?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, phantom said:

True facts.

1. In the 1400s a law was set forth in England that a man was allowed to beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb. Hence we have 'the rule of thumb.'

2. Many years ago in Scotland , a new game was invented. It was ruled 'Gentlemen Only... Ladies Forbidden'... and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.

3. Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history: Spades - King David, Hearts - Charlemagne, Clubs -Alexander the Great, Diamonds - Julius Caesar

4. In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase......... 'goodnight, sleep tight.'

5. It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month, which we know today as the honeymoon.

6. Since 1992, Rovers fans have said they are "coming for City" at the start of every football season, hence the phrase ‘deluded ****’.

1-5 total myths. 6 totally true

1 hour ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

This is exactly the type of shit they lap up.

Im willing to bet that a higher percentage of people from Accrington watch their local club than Bristolians watch Rovers.

Same goes for Fleetwood.

”Massive club” “unbelievable fanbase”...

******* idiots ?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

The fan base is unbelievable in fairness..... as in you can't believe a bloody word they say!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, phantom said:

True facts.

1. In the 1400s a law was set forth in England that a man was allowed to beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb. Hence we have 'the rule of thumb.'

2. Many years ago in Scotland , a new game was invented. It was ruled 'Gentlemen Only... Ladies Forbidden'... and thus the word GOLF entered into the English language.

3. Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history: Spades - King David, Hearts - Charlemagne, Clubs -Alexander the Great, Diamonds - Julius Caesar

4. In Shakespeare's time, mattresses were secured on bed frames by ropes. When you pulled on the ropes the mattress tightened, making the bed firmer to sleep on. Hence the phrase......... 'goodnight, sleep tight.'

5. It was the accepted practice in Babylon 4,000 years ago that for a month after the wedding, the bride's father would supply his son-in-law with all the mead he could drink. Mead is a honey beer and because their calendar was lunar based, this period was called the honey month, which we know today as the honeymoon.

6. Since 1992, Rovers fans have said they are "coming for City" at the start of every football season, hence the phrase ‘deluded ****’.

No idea if the facts presented are true or not - and I'm not going to Google them to find out, but what I will say is...

This is one of my all time favorite forum posts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

This is exactly the type of shit they lap up.

Im willing to bet that a higher percentage of people from Accrington watch their local club than Bristolians watch Rovers.

Same goes for Fleetwood.

”Massive club” “unbelievable fanbase”...

******* idiots ?

Population of Accrington: 35,456

Last average att: 2764  7.7% of the population 

Population of Fleetwood: 25,939

Last average att: 3165  12.2% of the population 

Population of Bristol: 467,099

Last Gas average att: 8320  1.7% of the population ? UNBELIEVABLE!!!

For balance, on average, we’re  watched by 4.5% of Bristolians.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

They say that seeing is believing.

I guess since they wont see many fans down the mem then their fan base really is unbelievable.

I used to get very irritated by people calling us "Bristol" when it should be "Bristol City".  But now, that may be a bonus. I'm thinking that's what confused Sam Finley, he's been watching Sky, and when they said you've got an opportunity to play in Bristol he automatically thought of us.  Imagine his shock when he turned up and it was those reprobates. And saw the ground and training facilities.

That's why he's looking so sad. He's been duped.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, richyy66 said:

This bit in the Evening Post quoted by Barton on the signings made me chuckle "We want people that aren’t going to be freaked out by some of the away grounds in the division"

What about the shit hole that they are going to play in  every other week........haha

What Barton meant was he wanted players who won't be phased by playing in larger stadiums and in front of bigger crowds than they get at the Tentmorial.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

It must be part of the contract they sign that they all come out with this crap..although I suppose he is right in saying the fanbase is unbelievable.

3 hours ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

Too right they're unbelievable..... 

:P

• Haha 1