IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

3 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I wonder if the statement will still be up come the end of play today? There’s a lot of pressure on them now!

One thing I’ll absolutely prepared to give the gas credit for is the reaction of a lot of their fans on Facebook, Twitter and on gaschat. By and large disgusted. Fair play to them. 

I rarely say anything complimentary about their fans however the majority (on social media at least) seem appalled by that statement. So credit where it’s due.

The club however are clearly intent on supporting him no matter what so it’s going to be interesting to see what spin they come out with in their next statement. Probably some kind of “treat em mean keep em keen” approach.

They'd have been better off just keeping their mouths shut rather than make themselves look utterly stupid...

Remember ladies, if some thug kicks you in the head it’s a ‘victimless crime’ ?

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I rarely say anything complimentary about their fans however the majority (on social media at least) seem appalled by that statement. So credit where it’s due.

The club however are clearly intent on supporting him no matter what so it’s going to be interesting to see what spin they come out with in their next statement. Probably some kind of “treat em mean keep em keen” approach.

They'd have been better off just keeping their mouths shut rather than make themselves look utterly stupid...

Yet here we are, 12 hours and literally thousands of comments on social media later telling them how appalling their Statement is, AND IT STILL REMAINS ON THE WEBSITE!!

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Yet here we are, 12 hours and literally thousands of comments on social media later telling them how appalling their Statement is, AND IT STILL REMAINS ON THE WEBSITE!!

Priceless. Cue the BEP - "Ever popular Gas go viral!", meanwhile "City ticket fiasco!". Or similar. 

• Like 1

Just now, Red_Alligator said:

Priceless. Cue the BEP - "Ever popular Gas go viral!", meanwhile "City ticket fiasco!". Or similar. 

Something Jamie Carragher often says, although he is referring to defending rather than club statements, is if you make one mistake don't follow it up with another. All they have to do is retract the statement, make a grovelling apology explaining that they simply got it wrong and move on to an extent. How the hell can such guff still be on the website over 12 hours later?

Rovers the "family" club, Everton the "peoples" club.................where do these people get this bollocks from? No, you're just a FOOTBALL club same as everyone else.

5 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Something Jamie Carragher often says, although he is referring to defending rather than club statements, is if you make one mistake don't follow it up with another. All they have to do is retract the statement, make a grovelling apology explaining that they simply got it wrong and move on to an extent. How the hell can such guff still be on the website over 12 hours later?

Rovers the "family" club, Everton the "peoples" club.................where do these people get this bollocks from? No, you're just a FOOTBALL club same as everyone else.

Sadly the "family" club has never seemed more ironic.

What shame that club continue to bring (on and off the field) to our city.

The sooner they go the better. Nobody needs them.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I noticed that as well - the majority of the comments I’ve seen from that lot are skewering the club. 

I did see one FB comment though of the “gET bEHIND hIM FTG” variety, and comparing JB to the Birmingham Six.

• Haha 2

Of course Barton is innocent until proven guilty which doesn't stop me having a very low opinion of him but there needs to be some serious questions asked at rovers to release a statement like that?

With the press  who are reporting on the rovers statement are omitting parts of the statement for legal reasons such as itv below, will thier statement leave them in a precarious legal position? 

https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2021-07-27/rovers-joey-barton-will-not-lead-team-at-pre-season-game-after-assault-charge

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-rovers-release-statement-after-5702864

Refuge have also spoken out about their statement 

https://www.refuge.org.uk/refuge-statement-on-joey-bartons-court-appearance/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

whilst I am not trying to besmirch Refuge or make light of the situation, did someone at Rovers give them their stats?

Bristol Rovers average attendance pre covid was 8,320.  If that was compromised entirely of women, at least 2,080...

It included car park fans.

• Haha 1

Club President Wael Al Qadi has today penned an open letter to supporters...

Dear Gasheads, 

I have been here with you now for nearly five and a half years. I hope that through that time you have seen and felt my passion for this club, my openness with supporters and my understanding of the emotions that you feel on a day-to-day basis. 

We have a diverse fanbase, as was celebrated in our recent kit launch campaign and all supporters are welcome at The Mem to enjoy watching our club together.

However, the past four days have been tough for us all and I have seen first-hand that there is division within the fanbase which is not what we want heading into a new season.

Firstly, I think it is really important to confirm that as a club we stand firmly against any form of violence. Any individual that is found guilty of any such offences will be dismissed immediately. I understand the concerns expressed by a number of you. However, in line with the basic principles of British law, it is my view that you are innocent until proven guilty. 

I have seen and understand the response to the statement that was released last night. Given that this is a legal matter, what we can and can’t say as a club is heavily restricted. That said, I think it is important that some context is given to the comment regarding victimless crimes as I know that has caused some distress. The phrase is a legal term referring to cases in which the victim is either unknown or has not made a complaint/engaged with the police enquiries. We in no way meant to belittle charges of domestic abuse. 

I know that this may have been misinterpreted in the statement last night and I wholeheartedly apologise to anyone that was offended. 

As has been well publicised we are partners with the team at HerGameToo and continue to play an active role in supporting that initiative. Furthermore, before we were aware of this issue we agreed last week to support a Domestic Violence campaign which we will continue to do heading into the new season. In addition, in 2018 we partnered with the Southmead Project who provide free counselling and support for survivors of abuse and addiction across Bristol and surrounding areas. All of these causes are at the heart of our football club and we will continue to do all we can to support those in need. 

This period will have undoubtedly strained relationships, however, I hope that we can retain your trust and confidence as we look to continue to build the club and support our wider community.  

I hope that you can all join me in getting behind the team this season, we need your support now more than ever.

FTG 

Wael

Club President

Bristol Rovers Football Club