Jump to content
IGNORED

Basement Rovers Dustbin Thread


42nite

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

I can relate to this.

Honestly, it was incessant during the 80's.

Before that time I hadn't been particularly bothered about Rovers. They hid under their rocks during the late 70's but crawled out when the wheels started to come off at Ashton Gate.

I didn't understand why they wanted to ram their dislike of City down my throat, but in later years a good mate of mine who is unfortunately a Gashead revealed the problem from his and his mates perspective and for me it highlighted quite clearly why the problem is actually theirs and not ours......

When we got promoted to Division One it was all about Bristol City, not just City but the prospect of having the best players and teams in the land coming to Bristol on a regular basis. Suddenly all of the newspaper main headlines were about City, the local TV sports reporting was City first, the main sports news and match of the day brought even more attention to Bristol City and for Rovers fans it felt like they were being bombarded by City related interest. They felt aggrieved by this as there were two teams in Bristol and they felt like they were being forgotten about. Even when they had a great result they were always pushed down the pecking order in terms of coverage and reporting. They saw it as a 'bias' towards Bristol City and became frustrated, annoyed, envious and jealous and took it out on the City fan base. In reality, it's no different from hearing about the Premier League nowadays and rarely hearing about either of our local clubs because there isn't a wider interest. It is why they always feel hard done by and why they continuously play the victim. So when the bubble eventually burst and we crashed down the leagues they reveled in our demise. At last we could begin to feel like they had felt, insignificant to the world of football.

This underlying bitterness and resentment has continued to fester throughout the years and every so often it rises to the surface. It happens if they win and we lose, it happens when something good happens for us (like the arrival of SL and the rebuild of AG and the club's infrastructure), or when we are in the spotlight (like the Carabao Cup run). Times like these are when they become extremely agitated. If they win promotion they're suddenly "Coming for Bristol City". They can't just be content with their own success and leave it at that.

Only a few weeks ago they picked up a win on the same day that City lost and immediately took to social media "Singing The Blues". They just can't help themselves. They compare everything to City as their yardstick. It really is very sad, but my god, doesn't it make them an easy target to wind up and rip the piss out of?!!!

 

 

Absolutely nailed it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, pride of the west said:

Because the Mem is on prime real estate that can be sold for a decent wedge and they hope that they can be given a piece of land for the project free of charge or paid for by OPM.

That's about the correct scenario, along with, not wanting to over develop the Colony, as adjacent land could get PP for housing, making the Colony more valuable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

I can relate to this.

Honestly, it was incessant during the 80's.

Before that time I hadn't been particularly bothered about Rovers. They hid under their rocks during the late 70's but crawled out when the wheels started to come off at Ashton Gate.

I didn't understand why they wanted to ram their dislike of City down my throat, but in later years a good mate of mine who is unfortunately a Gashead revealed the problem from his and his mates perspective and for me it highlighted quite clearly why the problem is actually theirs and not ours......

When we got promoted to Division One it was all about Bristol City, not just City but the prospect of having the best players and teams in the land coming to Bristol on a regular basis. Suddenly all of the newspaper main headlines were about City, the local TV sports reporting was City first, the main sports news and match of the day brought even more attention to Bristol City and for Rovers fans it felt like they were being bombarded by City related interest. They felt aggrieved by this as there were two teams in Bristol and they felt like they were being forgotten about. Even when they had a great result they were always pushed down the pecking order in terms of coverage and reporting. They saw it as a 'bias' towards Bristol City and became frustrated, annoyed, envious and jealous and took it out on the City fan base. In reality, it's no different from hearing about the Premier League nowadays and rarely hearing about either of our local clubs because there isn't a wider interest. It is why they always feel hard done by and why they continuously play the victim. So when the bubble eventually burst and we crashed down the leagues they reveled in our demise. At last we could begin to feel like they had felt, insignificant to the world of football.

This underlying bitterness and resentment has continued to fester throughout the years and every so often it rises to the surface. It happens if they win and we lose, it happens when something good happens for us (like the arrival of SL and the rebuild of AG and the club's infrastructure), or when we are in the spotlight (like the Carabao Cup run). Times like these are when they become extremely agitated. If they win promotion they're suddenly "Coming for Bristol City". They can't just be content with their own success and leave it at that.

Only a few weeks ago they picked up a win on the same day that City lost and immediately took to social media "Singing The Blues". They just can't help themselves. They compare everything to City as their yardstick. It really is very sad, but my god, doesn't it make them an easy target to wind up and rip the piss out of?!!!

 

 

:clap:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I remember having to go to school the day after that dicking we got in 1990 - they all came out of the closet that day to make anyone of a City persuasion's life a misery for months on end so for that alone **** em.

Is there an odder-behaved fanbase in the whole of the Football League?  

Oh my word you’ve just stirred up a memory of how the school hard nut,  at the time , sought me out as I wore my city scarf in to school, the day after that result,  and I promptly got a kick in .. 

apparently he was a gas head but I never knew .. everyone else seemed to be from then on in,  so as not to get on his wrong side .. 

still don’t regret wearing the scarf in now as I knew we’d come good  !!

Edited by Brann-red
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Is there an odder-behaved fanbase in the whole of the Football League?  

 

5 hours ago, 22A said:

The season Notts County dropped out of the League there was nothing but glee and abuse on the Forest fans forum.

That’s not behaving in an ‘odd’ manner - that’s fantastic, good, old fashioned rivalry - why would you think that’s ‘odd behaviour’ @22A??

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TomF said:

They're even upset Rosie & Jim are 'Shitheads'

 

The only thing that could have improved this is if the 2 puppets joined in with a chant of “stand up if you hate the gas”.

As for the developing the Mem point, spot on, they winge that BCC has done nothing for them (& still reckon they might in time 😉) conveniently forgetting they didn’t lift a finger to help us, either.

In fact they could not have been more obstructive during the whole Ashton Vale saga & if it wasn’t for Steve Lansdown’s patience we would be no further forward.

I said it before, they are just parasites, they add absolutely nothing to sport in the area & I hope they fold. Blue “half” of Bristol 😂.

By the way I have seen every single derby game since 1973, so don’t play the “it used to be great” card, either.

  • Like 7
  • Flames 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Jim kicked right off mind, he was at the front when the players were attacked, so I heard. 🤔

Holloway was scared for his life, Jim ran him all the way down North Street.

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TomF said:

They're even upset Rosie & Jim are 'Shitheads'

 

Blimey, old Roger Milford refereeing too. I bet the Banjo lot offered him a bung or two. "Oh Rog, you're from our area, love us more than they gurt Ted's pleaaaaaasssseeeee".

Pretty sure that his daughter was married to Ian Willmott which surely would have brought a conflict of interest?

Edited by Gert Mare
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TomF said:

They're even upset Rosie & Jim are 'Shitheads'

 

To be fair, Rovers have their own puppet.... Pinnochio.

In fact, as many on here know, they have several Pinnochios.

Porky pie-rats.

"20,000 locked outside"

"Fans of every club in the country love the Gas and reckon we have the loudest/hardest fans and the biggest away following they have ever seen"

"Wael's a multi-billionaire"

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's not forget that big thread they had on their forum years and years ago entitled 'OH YES' regarding how we were getting on. Think their forum is pretty new now so it wont be on this one. 

This thread is big, but its because every single Rovers related post is thrown into it which is a good thing imo. Rather that than a new one every time they lose or something funny happens down there. Which is pretty bloody often. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
6 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Let's not forget that big thread they had on their forum years and years ago entitled 'OH YES' regarding how we were getting on. Think their forum is pretty new now so it wont be on this one. 

This thread is big, but its because every single Rovers related post is thrown into it which is a good thing imo. Rather that than a new one every time they lose or something funny happens down there. Which is pretty bloody often. 

It actually crashed their forum, I had to bin it off. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Let's not forget that big thread they had on their forum years and years ago entitled 'OH YES' regarding how we were getting on. Think their forum is pretty new now so it wont be on this one. 

 

It was eventually deleted as that was a season where we started poorly but got our act together and ended up mid-table, whereas they started well but fell away and ended up getting relegated. What a bunch of plonkers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TomF said:

They're even upset Rosie & Jim are 'Shitheads'

 

Here is a better version.......

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gBlQuUYjEl8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

  • Like 1
  • Haha 12
  • Flames 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Brann-red said:

Oh my word you’ve just stirred up a memory of how the school hard nut,  at the time , sought me out as I wore my city scarf in to school, the day after that result,  and I promptly got a kick in .. 

apparently he was a gas head but I never knew .. everyone else seemed to be from then on in,  so as not to get on his wrong side .. 

still don’t regret wearing the scarf in now as I knew we’d come good  !!

ha ha simpsons GIF

This the fella ?

Edited by Major Isewater
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have enjoyed the responses especially from Slarti and Gert; to put the record straight for some weirdos (LJ fan club?, what really?) i have been a city fans (home and away for 50 yrs and even though never living IN Bristol, I enjoy their demise as much as the next Red.

NLBR was one of the best years of my life and their return via pens v Grimsby one of the worst days in recent memories, football wise.

 

I dont know a gashead, i never see a gashead and i want to see them NL again; i suspect they will go down bottom which was my post - what position do you predict they will finish and what chance FGR become the 2nd team to BCFC in this vicinity?

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

:laugh:

"HMS Piss the League is pretty much at the bottom of the ocean."

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/joey-barton-wael-bristol-rovers-5222982

 

“If I could go in today and cut surgically the cancer that’s running throughout the club out, I would. But I can’t because I need a period of time and a transfer window to do that, but it doesn’t mean I don’t understand the root of the problem that it all stems from.”

This quote from Jaily Barton stood out for me: “If I could go in today and cut surgically the cancer that’s running throughout the club out, I would. But I can’t because I need a period of time and a transfer window to do that, but it doesn’t mean I don’t understand the root of the problem that it all stems from.”

It’s not clear what he means exactly but saying he needs a transfer window to cut out their ‘cancer’ sounds like he’s referring to the players. What a lovely bloke.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BrightCiderLife said:

“If I could go in today and cut surgically the cancer that’s running throughout the club out, I would. But I can’t because I need a period of time and a transfer window to do that, but it doesn’t mean I don’t understand the root of the problem that it all stems from.”

This quote from Jaily Barton stood out for me: “If I could go in today and cut surgically the cancer that’s running throughout the club out, I would. But I can’t because I need a period of time and a transfer window to do that, but it doesn’t mean I don’t understand the root of the problem that it all stems from.”

It’s not clear what he means exactly but saying he needs a transfer window to cut out their ‘cancer’ sounds like he’s referring to the players. What a lovely bloke.

And accuse Tisdale and Garner of being incompetent. Nothing his fault.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • The title was changed to Basement Rovers Dustbin Thread

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...