IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Quite. Plus there's the small matter of FFP. I think UWE will get built though, which will obviously help things. I did always say you had a backup plan on that front ;)

They could always do what Fleetwood owner does. Stick an office in the UWE and pay a nice office rent

I have visions of a press conference with some sort of fake sheik talking with an implausible middle eastern accent  of his plans for Rovers, and then Scooby Doo style, Darryl running up and ripping of the disguise exclaiming 'Nick! It was you all along' followed by NH mumbling 'and I would've gotten away with it if it wasn't for you pesky kids!'

• Like 11

21 minutes ago, Kim_il_sung said:

Lets face the truth here.. If this goes through then the UWE stadium will be built with the full 21,000 capacity and they could become a serious threat to us in no time. Hopefully this is the wake up call we need to get our own act together.

Wake up call?  We're 2/3rds of the way through a stadium redevelopment which will take the capacity up to 27,000 - when they've not even broken ground on a much smaller stadium and we're two leagues higher than them with not much likelihood of that gap changing. What wake up call do we need?

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Wake up call?  We're 2/3rds of the way through a stadium redevelopment which will take the capacity up to 27,000 - when they've not even broken ground on a much smaller stadium and we're two leagues higher than them with not much likelihood of that gap changing. What wake up call do we need?

Quite right, if we are measuring our success on how Rovers are doing, we will never make the prem.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

well well well,

If true they are about to become everything they hate about us, always in our shadow always hypocrites,

Who thinks that this will go through and this family are only doing this to get hold of the land for development, putting rovers in the postion of chester, Darlington and wimbledon of years gone by?,

I wait with baited breath

You couldn't make it up could you.  Continually been berated by them "duke of Guernsey" etc. etc., and now......

You just know they're going to be turning up with tea towels on their heads tomorrow.

But, they wont be selling out. oh no.  They wouldn't dream of it. 

• Like 7

If true, has this all come about due to that seemingly ridiculous article/advert a Rovers' supporting journalist had published in a Middle Eastern newspaper extolling their 'virtues' and absurdly saying what a fantastic club they'd be to take over?

Love this quote by topman on their forum

And this is what football has sadly come to throughout the leagues 

Clubs not run like a business - income not meeting expenditure and only surviving due to football rights pay outs / premier league / football league subsidies etc so because of the wrong structure in the sport virtually all clubs needing a money man to carry on / bail out 

The sport is littered with people who have no real affiliation to the club and supporters and merely see it as their investment / play thing I blame the Premier League / sky (even though I am a subscriber) for most of the problems 

So if and it is a big if we 'suffer' a takeover how are we ever going to face City fans whom the majority of us have mocked re Mr S L? 

We would not be in need of this if we had the right people in charge of the club for the last 15/ 20 years imo - other smaller clubs cope why cant we? We have a huge fan base in comparable terms / enough revenue streams - I despair with football as a whole 

Much as it pains me to say it would be a good thing if a substantial number of clubs went of out business completely to bring people to their senses

Edited by BS3_RED
  • Like 3

Apparently some presser at around half one

As a Gashead, i am wary and interested and excited 

I have never been one to knock SL. This is the world of football now. Your  struggles for want of a better word and the demands to stay in the championship require money even for the lowest spending clubs with wages and transfer seemingly increasing all the time.

I for one hipe this is a positive for us and for you guys as well. I would rather see both clubs battling each other in the championship or Prem than what we have had for too long

• Like 4

They invest a few quid and get the stadium built in Glos, then they use the mem land to build a fancy hotel, reap the profits from the hotel and lose whatever small amount of interest they had in the Gas, sell the stadium back to the UWE and the Gas find themselves playing at Twerton in 2020/21?

Fingers crossed the gift will get the money to keep on giving for a few years to come yet.

6 minutes ago, howey_ducky said:

They invest a few quid and get the stadium built in Glos, then they use the mem land to build a fancy hotel, reap the profits from the hotel and lose whatever small amount of interest they had in the Gas, sell the stadium back to the UWE and the Gas find themselves playing at Twerton in 2020/21?

Fingers crossed the gift will get the money to keep on giving for a few years to come yet.

Fancy hotel in Horfield? Good luck with that

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cityloyal473 said:

We have been poorly run behind the scenes for years, and have always found ourselves falling back to League 1 after poor decision making with player signings and managerial appointments. What I'm saying is that if these noises coming from the Blue Few turn out to be true and they build their stadium and start investing, it could give us a push to finally get things sorted behind the scenes after years of turmoil. It could be a real positive thing for us.

I think that's a fair enough comment?

Edited by Kim_il_sung

• Admin
3 hours ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

Several members of the family are expected to be present at the club's annual Valentine's Ball tomorrow night after taking in Rovers' League Two game against Morecambe at the Memorial Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

They certainly live life in the fast lane !

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kim_il_sung said:

We have been poorly run behind the scenes for years, and have always found ourselves falling back to League 1 after poor decision making with player signings and managerial appointments. What I'm saying is that a strong Rovers that might start gaining ground on us could give us a push to finally get things sorted behind the scenes after years of turmoil.

I think that's a fair enough comment?

I'd wager that they're more poorly run behind the scenes than we are.  This is a club that didn't even budget for relegation when it had been on the cards for years). The whole Sainsbury's farce, the Cheltenham farce, Twerton etc etc.  There is a long, long way to go before they gain on us.  They'll be at the Mem for at least 3 more years - we'd could be out of sight by then.

• Like 1

I really don't give a shit what they do as long as the keep up their comedy gold,

Lets just see the recent records of foreign take overs for a minute shall we,

Blackburn steady midtable prem side to a lower table championship side thanks to the take over

Forest a lower championship side to a mid table championship side who have spunked millions

Watford a success because the previous board had the clubs best interests at heart 

Bournmouth see watford

Portsmouth went bankrupt and into freefall 

Leeds just a mess of a club

So its a mixed bag (just the clubs i can think of), If the gas board have the clubs best interests at heart and done their due diligence then it will be a good thing, but I can't see piggs doing that, he's out to get his investment back and no more, and I believe these investors (If true) are only after a land grab and don't give a shit about the gas,

Interesting times ahead and I hope the continue to make me laugh without going under no matter how much I hate them 

• Like 2

Headlines in Sheffield, September 2013: 

Prince Abdullah vows to bankroll Sheffield Utd back into the Premier League

Sheffield Utd investment is "game-changing" - Co owner Kevin McCabe says

I paid £1 for half of Sheffield Utd says Saudi Prince. You can be sure I will invest over the next two years.....

Etc, etc, blah blah blah.

Meanwhile, two and a half years on, Sheff Utd get ready to welcome Port Vale to Bramall Lane once again tomorrow. This, a club with 32,000 seats and 20,000 regular fans already. And a history of top flight football. Etc etc

Mind, on the other hand, there's Bournemouth....this could go either way!

2 hours ago, Hello said:

Dont you have a billionaire owner anyway?

Miah is a Gashead.

59 minutes ago, Hello said:

I have never been one to knock SL. This is the world of football now,

I think we'll be hearing this a lot from Gasheads over the coming weeks. I predict a massive U turn in Rovers fans opinions regarding rich owners, money in football and what constitutes being a 'plastic' football club or the 'plaything' of a rich Sugardaddy. They probably won't be so interested in who pays tax where either.

Welcome to the real World Gasheads but I'd much rather have Lansdown.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 5