IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

So,

what we're all reading & saying is that they are [using a rugby term] rucked well and truly, either way, no coming back, no pitching up at a local speedway track and poncing off the owners ever again goodnight.

Still at least they can use the Watney cup as an urn to put the ashes in.

So,

what we're all reading & saying is that they are [using a rugby term] rucked well and truly, either way, no coming back, no pitching up at a local speedway track and poncing off the owners ever again goodnight.

Still at least they can use the Watney cup as an urn to put the ashes in.

I wouldn't say so. Win and who knows what the future may look like, lose and I think they would survive but an existence like Pompey whereby for the forseeable stability is all you could hope for.

Trouble is football is too much like snakes and ladders. Easy to fall, difficult to climb. It's hard to really guess what may happen. But, if they lose their case and the stadium is the catalyst we all hope it would be, it's not difficult to imagine the rivalry descending in to a Stoke v Vale or Bradford v BPA rivalry.

I don't fear for their future, but I do fear (for their sake) what the future may be. They aren't too big to prevent a 'Stockport'.

What's your gut feeling..?

I assume it's quite tightly balanced because judgment was reserved, but if we then get a strong judgment critical of the other party and making it all seem so simple it wouldn't be the first time. To be honest my guess is as good as anyone's.

Stopping short of predicting the outcome, from the reports that fed through to both forums I did think it sounded like Sainsbury's had prepared a strong case, had plenty of ammo and as the judge admitted it was complex I would expect an appeal if they don't win at this stage.

If I absolutely had to guess one way or another, I would predict Sainsbury's will be successful but there's absolutely nothing informed to that guess and I wouldn't argue with anyone who'd guess otherwise.

Edited by Guest

I assume it's quite tightly balanced because judgment was reserved, but if we then get a strong judgment critical of the other party and making it all seem so simple it wouldn't be the first time. To be honest my guess is as good as anyone's.

Stopping short of predicting the outcome, from the reports that fed through to both forums I did think it sounded like Sainsbury's had prepared a strong case, had plenty of ammo and as the judge admitted it was complex I would expect an appeal if they don't win at this stage.

If I absolutely had to guess one way or another, I would predict Sainsbury's will be successful but there's absolutely nothing informed to that guess and I wouldn't argue with anyone who'd guess otherwise.

Assuming parties can afford to appeal.

What would happen for example, if Rovers were to win and Sainsbury's wanted to appeal, would Rovers have to embark on another round of legal fees or would the appeal be against the judgement only?

There are rumblings that Nicholas may sell the Mem in order to pay back outstanding loans and bonds and that this will result in a sudden bowel movement.

What if no one buys now?

Prospective buyers might wait in the belief that in six months, or a year's time, that ground will be available at a fraction of it's current value.

Assuming parties can afford to appeal.

What would happen for example, if Rovers were to win and Sainsbury's wanted to appeal, would Rovers have to embark on another round of legal fees or would the appeal be against the judgement only?

In reality it would drag them in for more. The appeal would be an appeal against the judgment on a point of law (or the interpretation of it) so if granted Rovers would want to show there was no error in interpretation. Predicting the next question and what if they can't afford it I imagine that's when a deal gets thrashed out.

I suppose one thing I didn't mention is, in my opinion, you do not really want to be the appellant at the Court of Appeal. It isn't friendly and not a court Barristers typically enjoy appearing in front of. If your not on your A game you usually get handed your proverbial on the way out.

In reality it would drag them in for more. The appeal would be an appeal against the judgment on a point of law (or the interpretation of it) so if granted Rovers would want to show there was no error in interpretation. Predicting the next question and what if they can't afford it I imagine that's when a deal gets thrashed out.

I suppose one thing I didn't mention is, in my opinion, you do not really want to be the appellant at the Court of Appeal. It isn't friendly and not a court Barristers typically enjoy appearing in front of. If your not on your A game you usually get handed your proverbial on the way out.

If an appeal is made on what a judge might consider frivolous grounds could an award of costs be made?

If an appeal is made on what a judge might consider frivolous grounds could an award of costs be made?

Either side will need permission to launch an appeal and if that's withheld you can then appeal to the appellate court to petition them to hear the appeal (ie appeal for permission to appeal to the Court of Appeal).

What this boils down to is protection against frivolous claims so there will need to be a point of law. Also you won't get leave to appeal unless you have a reasonable chance of success (albeit no guarantee of).

But is known from Dopey Daryl from his Salisbury days, real coup that

He realises what a massive club he is joining ...

"There were other offers on the table from both league clubs as well as conference sides but the opportunity to join Rovers was too big to turn down."

http://www.bristolrovers.co.uk/news/article/defender-clarke-signs-for-rovers-2489633.aspx

They are in the football league ... don't you know?