IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Taken from Slagchat...

Oh its a war memorial again now!

Not sure people/businesses invest in war memorials - not a lot of commercial return there. Certainly not our own SL.

So much wrong in that post.....can't be arsed to pick the rest of it apart. Deluded once again and still no idea whatsoever on how a business runs.

Taken from Slagchat...

"I have read lots today, fog was in so couldnt fire the panzers down here in Lulworth so lots of sitting about contemplating the future.

As with most of you I am gutted at todays outcome. Not so much the decision but the money spent getting to it and potentially putting our clubs future at risk. I was never fully comfortable with the supermarket going up on the mem site. I dont see the mem as a war memorial but share the view of the Royal British legion and English Heritage in that it is the gates that are the link to the sacrifice made by our cities sportsmen and didnt want them in a supermarket car park.

These gates should form the centre piece of our club. We are the custodians of this memorial and in my opinion we should show them the respect they deserve They should stand at the main entrance to a stadium that is a fitting memorial to those that paid the ultimate price. Even have a small image in one of the quaters on the shirt to remind our players of those that went before them. These gates could help with the rebirth of our club and give us a new ethos of community development based on sport.

So how do we do this. We are clearly in debt but we have a unique selling point that has never been promoted. Something that could really attract investors. We use the memorial as a sping board to secure a fitting memorial stadium, ensuring that the intended legacy is fulfilled. People dont always want to invest in a football club but to invest in a stadium dedicated to the countries fallen could be another matter. Especially if it is allowed to be used by the local community as the original memorial was intended.

With a proper modern pitch there is no reason why local sunday league teams couldnt use it. Four of five games on a sunday with differnt teams having their chance to fulfill a dream of playing at a top class venue would pull in families of players etc making it potentially cost neutral whilst at the same time giving back to the community.

The running track from the original UWE plans could be utilised freely by anyone who wanted a safe enviroment to maintain fitness with UWE physio students on hand to provide fitness tips, classes and nutritional advice promoting healthy well being. These are just a few things off the top of my head. Have lots more but i think you get the point im trying to make.

So who pays for the stadium? Well im guessing we as a club we could get 10 to 15 million for the mem if the land was sold for housing. This enables the rebirth of a purpose built Bristol MEMORIAL stadium on the UWE sight using the existing plans. So potentially half the money. That half secures a home for Bristol Rovers and makes them the main custodian of the stadium and the ethos it is based on.

Other money could come from charities such as Help for Heroes and the RBL by allowing the gym space to be used free of charge by injured servicemen exclusivley during the working day when gyms are generally quiet and not at their capacity as part of their rehab. The MOD could also contribute as this is a cheaper alternative to what is already an overstretched area of the forces. A reidential space could easily be put in the back of a stand to accomodate 15-20 soldiers.  Again Phsio students from UWE could benefit massivley from this all the while sticking to the roots of the stadium being a proper memorial. When not in the gym conducting rehab these forces personnel could have access to the university to attend courses for their transition to civilian street. A small residntial dorm/student accom could also be used for ex homless servicemen as a stop gap to helping them get back on their feet with career advice given through the UWE.  Chuck in companies like BAE systems  who sponsor these types of schemes and you could probably add another couple of million to the build cost. They would get free use of the confernce facilities which being next to MOD abbeywood would be perfect for procurement conferences etc.

Then theres the UWE. How much do they want this stadium. A few million from them towards the build costs and they would get more use than first proposed of the stadium.

National univerity sporting comps could be held here such as football rugby and hockey on top of the traditional wednesday afternnon sporting events held between unies. Clearly they already have use of the carpark but teaching space could also be free to use.

Both south glos and Bristol council could also get involved. The Bristol Memorial stadium would unlock 200 million of investment in south glos which will clearly benifit both councils. SGC in business rates and council tax etc and Bristol from the fact that regardless of living in south Glos most people shop in Bristol council areas adding to the local economy. They also have the cudos of enabling this project to get off the ground.

Add to that we we apply for football grants, national lottery and english heritage stating that we are building a new war memorial that has been enabled by the sell of the old site and true to the inscription on the gates, that is open for use by the community. This should see us over the line in terms of money for the build. If we are short we could even go to Steve Landsdown as owner of Bristol Rugby as he has the History of Bristol Rugby club to look after he would surely want to see the Memorial gates in fitting surroundings as an entrance to a Bristol Memorial Stadium. It would also keep City fans happy as so many of them have come out to show their disgust at the prospect of a supermarket taking over the memeorial site.

Anyone who helps with initial investment to build get to name a stand or enclosure. The stadium name has to have Memorial in it though. After all of this there probably isnt much room for extra non matchday income at first thought. But if the stadium is in constant use then money will be spent in retail areas. Weddings etc could still be held as well as conferences. Being an international class rugby stadium could also bring in revenue with finals such as the lesser european cup competition and the British and Irish Cup and Bath Rugby could also use for a couple of games a season. Concerts could also go ahead. An agreed percentage going back to charities that supported the stadium build. Clearly an annual rememberance service on rememberance sunday inviting local children, army regiments, and a major Royal etc to see what our club ethos is all about and how we support them.

We would also be debt free on moving in the ideal world with a new board with areas of expertise in football but also on implementing community intergration and working with the forces. We wouldnt have a mortgage and so all match day revenue would be ours, again with a percentage going to forces charities. No doubt we would see increased attendances as the Bristol residents start looking at us as a real community based club rebuilt on the ethos of the memorial gates, giving back to and supporting those that have made a sacrifice in service of their country. A new covenant would be written so that bristol rovers would always have a home but no matter what level we play at we would always have to honour our commitment to helping the local community and supporting the forces. All of this should enable us to be competitive upto championship level.

As a football club we would find a new found respect amongst fellow fans around Britain. Big Teams would want to play us in pre-seasons and away fans would come and spend their money knowing that a % goes to forces charities. 

So Nick. If you are reading this, feel free to give me a bell and ill help get your stadium built. Unfortunatley though, when it is you will be a fan just like the rest of us watching from the Royal British Legion end as the mighty gas attck the Help for Heroes end.

Anyway thats enough of my ramblings. Feel free to pick holes in this guys. Personally with the right leadership, i think it would be achievable".

I stopped reading when he said 'being an international class rugby stadium' and I am now starting to wonder why I decided to start reading at all

• Like 1

SHEEDHEADS. Respect the local linguistics of South Gloucestershire.

Nothing wrong with South Gloucestershire mate! Despite what the Sags would have you believe there's a lot of us Reds here. I can also confirm that the two Sainsburys stores in Kingswood are doing brisk business today, so it doesn't look like they're hitting their profits in the Sags supposed heartland. Edited by BS15_RED
  • Like 1

Taken from Slagchat...

Other money could come from charities such as Help for Heroes and the RBL

Oh look the Gas now want charities to pay for them to have a stadium.  But it is ok because they will let them use the gym for free.  Despicable and shameless, such a horrible little club. :grr:

• Like 1

Oh look the Gas now want charities to pay for them to have a stadium.  But it is ok because they will let them use the gym for free.  Despicable and shameless, such a horrible little club. :grr:

But above all a desperate club.

• Like 1

Taken from Slagchat...

"I have read lots today, fog was in so couldnt fire the panzers down here in Lulworth so lots of sitting about contemplating the future.

As with most of you I am gutted at todays outcome. Not so much the decision but the money spent getting to it and potentially putting our clubs future at risk. I was never fully comfortable with the supermarket going up on the mem site. I dont see the mem as a war memorial but share the view of the Royal British legion and English Heritage in that it is the gates that are the link to the sacrifice made by our cities sportsmen and didnt want them in a supermarket car park.

These gates should form the centre piece of our club. We are the custodians of this memorial and in my opinion we should show them the respect they deserve They should stand at the main entrance to a stadium that is a fitting memorial to those that paid the ultimate price. Even have a small image in one of the quaters on the shirt to remind our players of those that went before them. These gates could help with the rebirth of our club and give us a new ethos of community development based on sport.

So how do we do this. We are clearly in debt but we have a unique selling point that has never been promoted. Something that could really attract investors. We use the memorial as a sping board to secure a fitting memorial stadium, ensuring that the intended legacy is fulfilled. People dont always want to invest in a football club but to invest in a stadium dedicated to the countries fallen could be another matter. Especially if it is allowed to be used by the local community as the original memorial was intended.

With a proper modern pitch there is no reason why local sunday league teams couldnt use it. Four of five games on a sunday with differnt teams having their chance to fulfill a dream of playing at a top class venue would pull in families of players etc making it potentially cost neutral whilst at the same time giving back to the community.

The running track from the original UWE plans could be utilised freely by anyone who wanted a safe enviroment to maintain fitness with UWE physio students on hand to provide fitness tips, classes and nutritional advice promoting healthy well being. These are just a few things off the top of my head. Have lots more but i think you get the point im trying to make.

So who pays for the stadium? Well im guessing we as a club we could get 10 to 15 million for the mem if the land was sold for housing. This enables the rebirth of a purpose built Bristol MEMORIAL stadium on the UWE sight using the existing plans. So potentially half the money. That half secures a home for Bristol Rovers and makes them the main custodian of the stadium and the ethos it is based on.

Other money could come from charities such as Help for Heroes and the RBL by allowing the gym space to be used free of charge by injured servicemen exclusivley during the working day when gyms are generally quiet and not at their capacity as part of their rehab. The MOD could also contribute as this is a cheaper alternative to what is already an overstretched area of the forces. A reidential space could easily be put in the back of a stand to accomodate 15-20 soldiers. Again Phsio students from UWE could benefit massivley from this all the while sticking to the roots of the stadium being a proper memorial. When not in the gym conducting rehab these forces personnel could have access to the university to attend courses for their transition to civilian street. A small residntial dorm/student accom could also be used for ex homless servicemen as a stop gap to helping them get back on their feet with career advice given through the UWE. Chuck in companies like BAE systems who sponsor these types of schemes and you could probably add another couple of million to the build cost. They would get free use of the confernce facilities which being next to MOD abbeywood would be perfect for procurement conferences etc.

Then theres the UWE. How much do they want this stadium. A few million from them towards the build costs and they would get more use than first proposed of the stadium.

National univerity sporting comps could be held here such as football rugby and hockey on top of the traditional wednesday afternnon sporting events held between unies. Clearly they already have use of the carpark but teaching space could also be free to use.

Both south glos and Bristol council could also get involved. The Bristol Memorial stadium would unlock 200 million of investment in south glos which will clearly benifit both councils. SGC in business rates and council tax etc and Bristol from the fact that regardless of living in south Glos most people shop in Bristol council areas adding to the local economy. They also have the cudos of enabling this project to get off the ground.

Add to that we we apply for football grants, national lottery and english heritage stating that we are building a new war memorial that has been enabled by the sell of the old site and true to the inscription on the gates, that is open for use by the community. This should see us over the line in terms of money for the build. If we are short we could even go to Steve Landsdown as owner of Bristol Rugby as he has the History of Bristol Rugby club to look after he would surely want to see the Memorial gates in fitting surroundings as an entrance to a Bristol Memorial Stadium. It would also keep City fans happy as so many of them have come out to show their disgust at the prospect of a supermarket taking over the memeorial site.

Anyone who helps with initial investment to build get to name a stand or enclosure. The stadium name has to have Memorial in it though. After all of this there probably isnt much room for extra non matchday income at first thought. But if the stadium is in constant use then money will be spent in retail areas. Weddings etc could still be held as well as conferences. Being an international class rugby stadium could also bring in revenue with finals such as the lesser european cup competition and the British and Irish Cup and Bath Rugby could also use for a couple of games a season. Concerts could also go ahead. An agreed percentage going back to charities that supported the stadium build. Clearly an annual rememberance service on rememberance sunday inviting local children, army regiments, and a major Royal etc to see what our club ethos is all about and how we support them.

We would also be debt free on moving in the ideal world with a new board with areas of expertise in football but also on implementing community intergration and working with the forces. We wouldnt have a mortgage and so all match day revenue would be ours, again with a percentage going to forces charities. No doubt we would see increased attendances as the Bristol residents start looking at us as a real community based club rebuilt on the ethos of the memorial gates, giving back to and supporting those that have made a sacrifice in service of their country. A new covenant would be written so that bristol rovers would always have a home but no matter what level we play at we would always have to honour our commitment to helping the local community and supporting the forces. All of this should enable us to be competitive upto championship level.

As a football club we would find a new found respect amongst fellow fans around Britain. Big Teams would want to play us in pre-seasons and away fans would come and spend their money knowing that a % goes to forces charities.

So Nick. If you are reading this, feel free to give me a bell and ill help get your stadium built. Unfortunatley though, when it is you will be a fan just like the rest of us watching from the Royal British Legion end as the mighty gas attck the Help for Heroes end.

Anyway thats enough of my ramblings. Feel free to pick holes in this guys. Personally with the right leadership, i think it would be achievable".

Feel free to pick holes in it he says. I could drive a horse and carriage through everything he said.

Help for heros grants , national lottery grants , money from Bristol City and...and South Glos councils.

Truly truly laughable if it wasn't so pathetic. Always wanted someone else to pay ,always playing the victim .

Edited by bs3
  • Like 1

Feel free to pick holes in this guys.

How long you got, sweetheart? Put the kettle on, and come sit down with Uncle Woodsy....once upon a time, in a far away land etc etc

I really can't tell if that bloke is being serious, or not? He's not, yeah? Yeah??

Feel free to pick holes in it he says. I could drive a horse and carriage through everything he said.

Help for heros grants , national lottery grants , money from Bristol City and...and South Glos councils.

Truly truly laughable if it wasn't so pathetic. Always wanted someone else to pay ,always playing the victim .

Not without real risk of severe damage to the horse

• Like 1

Sorry Greek people but if you need another cheating bunch you now where to find them

There are certain similarities with how the Gasheads  and the Greek people have been treated , it's the " Mushroom " theory they're kept in the dark and fed bullshit;

The Gas have very nearly lost their club and the Greeks have lost their autonomy.

Sorry Greek people but if you need another cheating bunch you now where to find them

Actually if my history A level recollections are correct I seem to recall the Germans not paying up following the end of both world wars; they are hardly on the moral high ground yet they now will very well likely lord it over the high ground of the Acropolis as they survey their newly acquired and privatised Greek assets. Both sides are to blame but I don't think Merkel or lap dog Hollande have handled it too well. There is plenty to play out here.

There are certain similarities with how the Gasheads  and the Greek people have been treated , it's the " Mushroom " theory they're kept in the dark and fed bullshit;

The Gas have very nearly lost their club and the Greeks have lost their autonomy.

Scotlamd had debts to England early 18th century. They had to give up their freedom because of that debt.

More than half of the time as an independent country Greece have been bankrupt

You talk as though its the greek peoples fault, just like it was ours for our economic downturn in this country was it? A tiny minority of powerful making decisions that negatively impact the masses, you cannot tar all greeks as cheats because of that!