IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

I realise the idea of a Middle Eastern buyout sounds exciting, clubs like Man City have been transformed for instance. But, if I was a 15er I would be very cautious about this. Remember Notts County signing Sol Campbell and getting Sven as manager?

If these potential new owners are worth £70million then that's nothing when it comes to football ownership, there are plenty of people that have won more than that on the Euromillions! I can't see somebody worth £70million wanting to waste millions on a League Two club, there must be something else they are looking for. You simply don't make money out of football unless you are top end Premier League (and even then you probably don't!). Look at how much Lansdown has lost over the last few years, nothing to him but unacceptable to a family with wealth of only £70million.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

I realise the idea of a Middle Eastern buyout sounds exciting, clubs like Man City have been transformed for instance. But, if I was a 15er I would be very cautious about this. Remember Notts County signing Sol Campbell and getting Sven as manager?

If these potential new owners are worth £70million then that's nothing when it comes to football ownership, there are plenty of people that have won more than that on the Euromillions! I can't see somebody worth £70million wanting to waste millions on a League Two club, there must be something else they are looking for. You simply don't make money out of football unless you are top end Premier League (and even then you probably don't!). Look at how much Lansdown has lost over the last few years, nothing to him but unacceptable to a family with wealth of only £70million.

Well, being bankers they probably don't have to worry too much about borrowing money and I would imagine they have access to credit.

Depends if they'll be financing the club with their own money or borrowed money. 

7 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

They may see it as a cheap buy to build up and sell on. Shouldn't take too much investment to get them up, potentially new ground around the corner (depending on who you believe) and the transition would look favorable . They take a newly promoted non League side with an old ground, paying a relatively small sum, and putting a League 1 side with a new ground up for sale in a year or two and look for a handsome profit.

The old saying of , how do you make a small fortune out of football ? Start with a large one ! Springs to mind

Edited by 1960maaan

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

Well, being bankers they probably don't have to worry too much about borrowing money and I would imagine they have access to credit.

Depends if they'll be financing the club with their own money or borrowed money. 

Exactly, they will not risk their personal wealth, they will find everything with borrowing. Which is a massive massive gamble and will likely just plunge them into chaos in a few years.

Our owner can afford those losses, how will the 15ers survive if they end up in £40million+ debt and are no higher than League One or bottom end of the Championship?

If it was a local consortium with a £70 million fortune it wouldn't be that big news. It's because they are from the Middle East, a land that conjures images of glamour, wealth and bankrolled football clubs that the blue few are getting so excited . The more I read about thiis, I'm becoming less worried and more amused.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

If they are only worth £70m then that is hilarious.... That is pennies in the realm of football club owners.

Considering that Gloucester Rugby was sold for around £20m last week I'd say £70m is massively overpriced for the Rovers.

Potential or not I'd rather have a profitable Premiership rugby team than a football club that was only promoted out of non-league 8 months ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Considering that Gloucester Rugby was sold for around £20m last week I'd say £70m is massively overpriced for the Rovers.

Potential or not I'd rather have a profitable Premiership rugby team than a football club that was only promoted out of non-league 8 months ago.

Think the £70m is what the family are supposedly worth in total Dan as opposed to the 15ers selling price. 

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That 70m figure I quoted was just based on one site I found when googling - there's barely any info on them so it may be out of date/incorrect/I've read it wrong so it may be completely wide of the mark.

That said.. Because there's so little info on them, I can only assume they're not that wealthy 

I did find something that said the family are now major players in Jordan after taking over HSBC's interests in that country, that would be in the banking community. So as has been said, money available to use without touching their own, bit like the Glaziers at Man Utd.

4 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

I think he means the family is worth £70m not the Squatters !

5 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Think you're misunderstanding! The £70m is the suggested family worth, not the club worth.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I did find something that said the family are now major players in Jordan after taking over HSBC's interests in that country, that would be in the banking community. So as has been said, money available to use without touching their own, bit like the Glaziers at Man Utd.

Yep I think I read the same. Dangerous game if so in my opinion. Strange how there's so little info about them though..

From reading online the family own 30% of shares in one of Jordans Banks, in which capital is about £150mil.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not sure how much the HSBC deal is actually worth to the bank and how much of the banks money they would actually be able to use.

1 hour ago, Hello said:

I

Well it wasnt my first port of call but anyway.

I was just interested in the reaction on here and offered my opinion. Not like i have come here to rub it in your faces

I am not a bitter City or Rovers fan trying to belittle either side. I havent slagged your club off or your chair.

As I say I hope this is a positive time for both clubs. Whilst soke on both sides would rather the other doesnt exist, i would rather have a competitive, rivalry as high up the leagues as possible

Peterparker I thought I reconsidered the picture,

You are very welcome here to post as long as you don't end up like most gashead WUMS and post like in the net, with good humour etc

They know they are going to lose the Sainsbury case. So this is the boards last chance to make their money back/not lose everything. The new owners can pay of the loans against the stadium, meaning the club will not go bankrupt within a few weeks (losing their one asset wonga/sainsbury). So the club will costs the new investors maybe just over a million to cover the loans ? They then have land worth more than that, fund the UWE, sale Memorial ground and they have already broke even/made a profit. They also own half a stadium with a University which is something that a lot of businessmen would be proud of. 

The question is, will Rovers then just be renting UWE stadium, because if so, they have no assets, no worth and are just tenants, whilst Higgs and co get away with a close shave, and some Jordanians make a little money and have a half share in a nice university asset.

Edited by Fiale
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

70m is the families net worth nt the buying price..

10 minutes ago, lenred said:

Think the £70m is what the family are supposedly worth in total Dan as opposed to the 15ers selling price. 

9 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

9 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Think you're misunderstanding! The £70m is the suggested family worth, not the club worth.

2 minutes ago, Griffin said:

70m is the families net worth nt the buying price..

Thank goodness for that. Yes I was misunderstanding. I haven't read the whole thread, just skipped to the end.

Anyone daft enough to pay £70m for that lot would be welcome to them!

18 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Just to be clear, this is investment and not a takeover, that's certainly the way I read it or in short the best way Higgs has found to protect his investment and to soften the blow of losing the Sainsbury's decision once more.

It's a full takeover.

BRISTOL ROVERS TAKEOVER: Who are the Al-Qadi family?

An influential Jordanian family are expected to be named as the new owners of Bristol Rovers at a press conference later today.

Rovers chairman Nick Higgs is believed to have been in negotiations with the Al-Qadi family since the Autumn and a complete takeover that will see all existing directors step down is likely to be confirmed this afternoon.

The new owners are expected to outline their plans for the future of the club when they meet local press for the first time at the start of what could be exciting times ahead for all Bristol Rovers supporters.

Who are the Al-Qadi family?

The family is headed by Abdulkader Abdullah Al-Qadi, 82, who founded the Arab Jordan Investment Bank in 1978 and continues to be a significant shareholder after growing in to a major financial powerhouse in the region.

Abdulkader Abdullah Al-Qadi has three sons, who are all expected to have some involvement in Rovers - although it will be his youngest, Wael, who will act as the face of the family as they get to grips with the business that sits in the Memorial Stadium in-tray.

Wael Al-Qadi is currently the assistant general manager of AJIB, but has a keen interest in football. He was a core team member in HRH Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein's successful campaign to be elected vice president of FIFA in 2011.

He attended Westminster School in London, where he fostered an affection for Premier League club Chelsea, before graduating from Boston University in 1991 with a degree in Computer Science with Business Administration.

He is described as 'passionate' about football and is heavily involved In little leagues and kids' football academies in Jordan.

He is vice president of the Asian Development Football Foundation, which was founded by Prince Ali Bin Al Hussein in 2012, and has also held a role on the marketing committee of the Jordanian Football Association.