IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

Pleased our redevelopment and reorganisation has been well underway for a considerable time now ...imagine if today's events at Rovers had occurred sooner than our modernisation began.

The Gas would swear that we were being reactive rather than proactive in our ambition, as it is fair play to them, they've been given a rare chance now to progress somewhat themselves now. For what seems like forever they have provided us with one laugh after another and for that we are (hopefully) eternally grateful to Irene's clowns -gawd they even recently obliged us by going  non-league ffs, priceless as the saying goes!

Its exciting times for them regardless of the personal wealth of their new owners, without a doubt things have moved in a massively improved way for them at what appeared to have been possibly the eleventh hour for their existence or otherwise.

We will look on with curiosity based interest in what the future holds for the blue side of town, its like watching a neighbour building an extension on their house across the road. 

Its the British way to hold a soft spot for the underdog and I expect a lot more public interest in the fortunes of the blue few, many will no doubt be rooting for the longtime downtrodden underdog to cone good...

Thats OK, they're a long way off of us right now and no matter what things won't be changing on that front anytime soon, both Bristol clubs are making huge strides forward or no doubt the Gas will soon be doing, but for every step they take we will be doing the same, we are so many steps ahead already as we've traditionally always been....and whatever they can do, rest assured we will be doing it better... The Gap is here to stay, while sport in Bristol generally is improving on all fronts at last.

BRFC are playing catch-up but sadly for them too little too late to trouble us, come on you Gas catch us if you can!  ....(not a chance) ... If anything the excitement created around the Gas takeover today may well see BCFC changing up into yet another gear!

Good news for everyone, and if they ever approach anything near City's status in future I'm sure many of us will relish the prospect of meaningful local derby's once again.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Reddie The Eagle Edwards said:

Everybody needs to listen to this, and maybe then expectations will be managed. He offers absolutely no promises, says cash will not be thrown at them etc etc. There is no Billions, not even millions. His comment that the debt would be paid off over time says an awful lot.

My personal belief is , it's a very strange time for Higgs to sell up, what with a potential 30 million windfall coming in.

I believe these people have invested because Higgs said give me 8 million and within weeks you can turn that into 30 million (if the court case goes well) or 20 million by selling the land. They will then walk away with a nice profit leaving Rovers, still in debt and homeless.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pigeon said:

Am I the only one that finds this thread rather cringe..?

I personally think it's great that Rovers have been bought out and I hope they manage to get to the Championship so we can have two proper clubs in Bristol that can enjoy proper derby's.

I was actually talking to a Celtic fan the other day and even he was saying that he can't wait until Rangers get back up to the top flight so I don't understand all the cringe worthy insults coming out. I mean honestly, saying the guy (who is obviously very wealthy) looks like he is wearing a cheap suit? Are we back in the playground!?

Anyway, i'm sure now some of the 'old boys' or the 'real fans' will tear this apart but oh well! Do your worst!

Good luck Rovers and hopefully the next time you play us we'll both be in the Championship or better giving you a 6-0 thrashing! :) 

No because of their hypocritical stance... Lansdown was the anti-christ because he had all this cash and invested in City. All of a sudden, these guys come in and all of a sudden its forgotten.

Lets also not forget history that they (the fans) wanted City to fold in '82 even the club wanted to take advantage of the situation and take AG. Lets not forget how the club robbed the Mem Ground from Bristol RFC who were a financial mess going to hit the wall at the time.

Fair play to them for getting some investment even though their new owners wealth has been vastly exaggerated by them and the local media but I wish them zero luck as they are a bunch of hyprocritical *****.

PS:- to compare themselves to Man City or Chelsea is just pure gold... Remember they are an average L2 side right now so when will the owners get a return on their investment? Not for a long time I would imagine

Edited by Dark Wood Covert

4 minutes ago, Just Red said:

And as others have said in these days of FFP, it is impossible to now throw money at a football club. So even if they were billionaires they couldn't spend that on players etc. I also believe the rules in leagues one and two are much stricter?

I think it is, its a lot easier for lower league clubs to hit the wall... Even if its that's the case, I'm sure 'Pep' Clarke will rocket them through the leagues and eventually Champions League glory ;) 

2 hours ago, ten minutes of rough said:

Well constructed reply, not. Sounds like you are in a bit of denial here. It must mean they will become a real adversary to us, something to look forward to, unless you actually enjoy having the stigma in Bristol of having a non league outfit that actually does Bristol City FC no favours at all, especially when we are lumped together with them by the less well informed.   As Sweden says this might encourage SL to kick on a bit more, especially with the Bristol Sport ethos, can't see he would want to be considered the poor man of Bristol Sport really.

What do you say Monkeh? Think before you type mind, just for a change. 

I for one enjoyed it hugely :clapping:

• Like 7

As a Bristolian Watching Points West earlier just made me realise what am embarrassment they really are. That ground is a disgrace, those geriatrics they were interviewing (connected to their governance structure in some way?). Seriously, they need to pull themselves together as they are currently a disgrace.

While I certainly wish them no success whatsoever, I really hope that the few million that they might get from this might be enough to sort out their image a bit. Purely because I'm proud (not prowed) of my city, and as it stands they really do let us down.

Edited by Red Rum
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Just Red said:

Everybody needs to listen to this, and maybe then expectations will be managed. He offers absolutely no promises, says cash will not be thrown at them etc etc. There is no Billions, not even millions. His comment that the debt would be paid off over time says an awful lot.

My personal belief is , it's a very strange time for Higgs to sell up, what with a potential 30 million windfall coming in.

I believe these people have invested because Higgs said give me 8 million and within weeks you can turn that into 30 million (if the court case goes well) or 20 million by selling the land. They will then walk away with a nice profit leaving Rovers, still in debt and homeless.

The strange thing was, that listening to him...no big promises, build the academy,, 'right recruitment', no skipful of cash - the person he sounded most like was SL! 

Well for a long time we have had the rich backer in Lansdown and a lot of good it has done for us.Still scraping to survive in the Championship , still not capable of signing a decent striker since last summer and a Manager with no experience of managing in the league we are in. Will they get it as wrong as we have.Is it possible well time will tell.But being the poor relations will be hard to swallow.

25 minutes ago, Just Red said:

I thought it was an interesting interview.

At best, Rovers have got somebody who can secure their short term future. He talks about building, academy, youth players all nice enough, and of a new stadium. He at least says he is in it for the long term, and to be fair he talked I thought quite well. 

If that is delivered, it is indeed a very good day for them. A lot of the uncertainty they were under has been removed. However, again at best, he came across as a decent fella who is going to build the club over the medium to long term. They should be celebrating that, rather than to many of them shooting off about being the new Man City. They should be very happy with what, it seems, they have got,  rather than creating stupid level expectations.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, cityexile said:

I thought it was an interesting interview.

At best, Rovers have got somebody who can secure their short term future. He talks about building, academy, youth players all nice enough, and of a new stadium. He at least says he is in it for the long term, and to be fair he talked I thought quite well. 

If that is delivered, it is indeed a very good day for them. A lot of the uncertainty they were under has been removed. However, again at best, he came across as a decent fella who is going to build the club over the medium to long term. They should be celebrating that, rather than to many of them shooting off about being the new Man City. They should be very happy with what, it seems, they have got,  rather than creating stupid level expectations.

Indeed, I was very impressed by the interview. Basically wants to create a stable club that is almost self financing. 

Unfortunately by being labelled as a billionaire etc creating a stable club will be seen as a failure by the fans.

No doubt they have potential, however, it will take years and years of sustained success and building infrastructure before they can realise that potential and get anywhere near our level.

Let's be honest it has took us many years and circa 100 million of Lansdowns money to get to where we are league wise and infrastructure wise. It doesn't happen over night as they seem to believe.

We are now finally doing things right off of the pitch but it has took us many years of mistakes to arrive at this junction. They will have to go through the same and I'm not convinced these people will remain committed for the amount of time it would take.

The question is, why Bristol Rovers? There are numerous clubs with similar potential with better infrastructure and less debt. And this is what makes me worry on their behalf.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Genuinely interested to know how much this lot are worth, just saw a Squatter post £500m !!!!

Seems strange that the internet has so little about a family so wealthy.

Heard that the family are worth £1.4billion so about the same as Lansdown.

Slagchat is an amusing read now they've had a chance to let the Strongbow kick in...

I swear they recycle that OTIB 'what do the initials really mean?' thread every few weeks, elsewhere on the board they're getting really upset with some City fan suggesting that this guy might not be worth as much as they think.

Some muppet has started a thread just to suggest that they are different from us because they have "spirit and soul".... I wonder who they are trying to convince, us or themselves?

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Slagchat is an amusing read now they've had a chance to let the Strongbow kick in...

I swear they recycle that OTIB 'what do the initials really mean?' thread every few weeks, elsewhere on the board they're getting really upset with some City fan suggesting that this guy might not be worth as much as they think.

Some muppet has started a thread just to suggest that they are different from us because they have "spirit and soul".... I wonder who they are trying to convince, us or themselves?

That has to be the funniest thing I've ever read.. The spirit and soul they are apparently so famous far has been ripped out the club, they can try and sugar coat it al they want, it won't change anything.

Funnily enough I saw a few sags on twitter say that they won't be following the sell-outs anymore.. I'm sure deep down a few older sags are gutted their club has lost it's soul, the rest will lap it up.

Edited by Iron Man