IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

16 minutes ago, Nibor said:

London is a big place and those are wealthy Prem clubs. The Elite Performance Programme isn't about developing players it's about pulling up the ladder. Take a look at how the 'Independent Assessment' works, Ipswich are an example after Norwich got category 1 status. 

So you are alluding to a situation where a non metropolis with limited teams are competing against one another for talent, that is understood anywhere, but where the one who achieves higher status first can cream off the best? Rather than there being any particular rule? I suspect the former is true.

However, If you mean there is a rule, and assuming you are right, then that imo would be ridiculous. So ridiculous in fact that I am sure I would have heard about it before.

Or perhaps you mean a third way whereby the rules governing a team attaining, say, cat 2 by definition of the way they are structured makes it doubly hard for another team to attain such status in the near vicinity.

I think whatever rules may be in place for the 'third way' it is probably more difficult simply by definition of there being another team who got their first.

Almost like a race; if all the teams in Birmingham and London started the race at the same time perhaps its easier. The Gas, perhaps still in the starting blocks, will find it hard but not impossible.

Kinda goes back to the net worth of the new owners which, with all the digging, looks to be hard to decipher but suffice to say if they have bought a 4th division team it would likely suggest they have good but fairly limited funds.. a new stadium and a new academy may very well follow but perhaps not with all their money and not in the immediacy.

Edited by havanatopia

47 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I wonder if 'GazSaid' will join the other Gasheads who say they are planning to wave £20 notes at Morecombe fans today.

You see, it's that sort of humility and general lack of arrogance that make Gasheads so loved and respected by every other clubs fans....whilst everyone hates us obviously. Thats what they've been saying for years anyway.

I genuinely believe a large number of their fans are going to show their true colours now which will make them more hated than they pretend we are. This is great, and they've still got the hard work of trying to catch up with us. Welcome to Bristol Mr Al Qadi :clapping::clapping::clapping:

I Imagine all they will be waving is benefits letters.

I can picture the carnage if one £5 note is produced in the crowd there - it would be like Asda on Black Friday!

20 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We are talking camels here, right?

11 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Well if that's true they might be able to clear the immediate debts but will still be reliant on selling to Sainsbury's or borrowing from their own bank in order to fund the stadium.

I have no idea of the familys wealth. Far too much rumour and speculation.

The bank though is just one of the things they have involvement in. They also own Four Seasons Amman and have other leisure industry involvement.

Whether it is 60 million or 600 they obviously have acces to money and invesent because of the businesses they are in.

For me the biggest positive is they actually have real business savvy and Wae is hevaily involved in football.

Heres hoping for a bright future for both teams

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Why is this being discussed in so much detail on here? They have new owners who have a little bit of money. Could go one way, could go the other. Reading through the posts on here it is like an obsession with them.

For what it is worth, I couldn't care. I personally would prefer someone like Lansdown in charge than an overseas businessman/family. However should Lansdown ever wish to sell up we could be in the same position.

If this was Accrington for example would there be so much interest on here?

Because they are our rival club based in the same city? If this is successful it will directly affect our club. If not, a lot of City fans can give it back to many friends, family and work colleagues who are Rovers fans?

Surely you must be able to see why as Bristol City fans we are talking about Bristol Rovers takeover rather than Accringtons?

• Like 4

It's good news for them, no question.

They were in slow decline as it was and would have spent more time in the Conference.

Now they can realistically aim to establish themselves in League One.

I am grateful and will always remember the two years of huge laughs that they have given every City fan.

Like all the greatest comedy shows they have shown great timing and not stretched it out to a third series but quit when they were ahead.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It's good news for them, no question.

They were in slow decline as it was and would have spent more time in the Conference.

Now they can realistically aim to establish themselves in League One.

I am grateful and will always remember the two years of huge laughs that they have given every City fan.

Like all the greatest comedy shows they have shown great timing and not stretched it out to a third series but quit when they were ahead.

Disagree, the comedy show still has a long way to go.

17 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I think that's wishful thinking. They'll have a good few years now IMO, then of course the wheels will inevitably fall off again.

But we'll always have the memories:

"I bin frew two divorces, the Thatcher years.."

we'll see, the fact they've worked themselves up into an utter frenzy sets themselves up for more ridicule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

I don't believe that is the same bank. Lets be careful with character assassination until you have some hard facts.

Totally agree, a quick search pulled up a similar name linked with very dodgy accusations . I didn't link it on here as I wasn't sure if it was the same family or any connection at all. 

13 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Totally agree, a quick search pulled up a similar name linked with very dodgy accusations . I didn't link it on here as I wasn't sure if it was the same family or any connection at all. 

I know right.. a girl the other day asked me to buy her some snickers.. i thought she said sneakers and I started to tell her that considering I had only known her for about 15 minutes that was a bit too cheeky. But when she said she likes chocolate and wanted to give one each to her two daughters I realised she was not talking about a pair of trainers.

I blame Mars for dropping the perfectly good name of 'Marathon'.

It's a bit like saying because Hargreaves Lansdown manage £55 billion of assets our owner is worth this.

I am just going laugh when Rovers fans come crashing down and realise these guys are no where near as wealthy as they think and every £ that goes in will be just another loan to the club that they will have to pay off.

Edited by Dynamite Red
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

It's a bit like saying because Hargreaves Lansdown manage £55 billion of assets our owner is worth this.

I am just going laugh when Rovers fans come crashing down and realise these guys are no where near as wealthy as they think and every £ that goes in will be just another loan to the club that they will have to pay off.

Exactly this...

Reading many of the posts on here there seems to be a hint of worry or jealousy creeping into the minds of some posters. Lets try to be objective. Lording it over Rovers when they are a couple of leagues below us is frankly pathetic. We might as well chose Brislington under 11's as our rivals if we want total supremacy. Real rivalry comes from taking on your equals, Spurs and Arsenal, Man city and Man utd, Everton and Liverpool, Newcastle and Sunderland. Let Rovers catch up with us if they can and then lets compete on a level playing field to see which team rules. As I said earlier, lets have a local derby in the Prem, not div 1 or 2. At least that will mean that we have made it to the top league.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

Not to mention Whitchurch or Hengrove.

None to shabby either.

What!? wouldn't offend my newly aquired camel to graze in those places...and shouldn't you be in Milton Keynes? Ah, of course not...you are playing away..now excuse me whilst I untether aforementioned camel, don my fez and watch a real football team 

• Admin
7 hours ago, GazSaid said:

By the way I've always been here, I've not crawed out of the woodwork - i'm on my third otib username, it must ran by the tool in your avatar, because the mods seem to ban gasheads for innocuous posts.

That's not something that happens, but previously banned members returning under another name get banned again, so thanks for 'coming clean' and saving us the legwork.......  Bye.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, st andrews gas said:

What!? wouldn't offend my newly aquired camel to graze in those places...and shouldn't you be in Milton Keynes? Ah, of course not...you are playing away..now excuse me whilst I untether aforementioned camel, don my fez and watch a real football team 

Who, Morecambe?! 

The Black Arabs, as I am sure many will now call them again, played their first fixture on the 1st of December 1883 when they took to the field in a friendly match against Wotton-under-Edge. Here is the final score:-

Wotton-Under-Edge 6 Black Arabs 0

أن لا أمل على الإطلاق

(For gas heads reading this who are so bone idle that they have not yet learnt Arabic this means:- "that is absolutely hopeless")

Perhaps they should organise another friendly now against the same team to commemorate the return of the name which by the way is this:- 

العرب الأسود

Feel free Gas Heads to cut and paste and get your new shirts run off.

22 minutes ago, st andrews gas said:

I assume today we'll be a sell out, if you'll excuse the pun....