IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

7 minutes ago, Fiale said:

They can try, would be foolish not to, but a lot of Rovers fans seem to think UWE needs Rovers more than Rovers needs UWE - I understand they are excited to get rid of the potential of administration if Higgs failed in the Sainsbury's case and lost the Mem due to loans being set against it, but they seem to have gotten a little carried away. 

I agree there needs to be some realism. The excitement of the past couple of days has caused some hysteria for sure. The weeks and months to come will hopefully shake things out and ground some people

At leas Mr Al Qadi isnt shouting from the roof tops

11 minutes ago, bs3 said:

We still play at Ashton Gate , could have sold naming rights years ago but  we never sold out.

Hold your horses there mate, I'm not suggesting that Lansdown will definitely go down that route BUT he is a businessman. The 'new' Ashton Gate with football and rugby could become a more attractive proposition for any large company prepared to part with big money to have their name attached to a stadium. Not saying I think it will happen but you never know...

Hopefully it'll never happen but if it did, people would still call it Ashton Gate anyway.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Hello said:

I am not suggesting that UWE will give up or sell the land, just that i imagine the Al-Qadis as business people money men will explore all opportunities.

As the deal stands the UWE name creates no revenue other than to build the ground when Rovers didnt have any cash and needed Sainsburys.

Now we can finance the project either through personal wealth or acees to investors being in that field and thus any naming rights be it AJIB or Joe Bloggs trading would create reveune for the club FFP and all that

There is other land out there to be developed. Whether The Al Qadis can get in on that i dont know but surey as investment bankers and Hoteliers they would be foolish to not enquire.

Maybe nothing will come of it but i would argue they have the responsibility to eye it up

How much money do you think you owners have?

3 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

How much money do you think you owners have?

Personally I have no clue, but they obviously have some. The AJIB shareholders were paid a 12% dividend last year according to the Jordan Times and they have plenty.of business interests.

As I say even if they dont have masses of personal wealth (relatively speaking) he atea they are in they have access to money and/or people with it

10 minutes ago, Hello said:

I am not suggesting that UWE will give up or sell the land, just that i imagine the Al-Qadis as business people money men will explore all opportunities.

As the deal stands the UWE name creates no revenue other than to build the ground when Rovers didnt have any cash and needed Sainsburys.

Now we can finance the project either through personal wealth or acees to investors being in that field and thus any naming rights be it AJIB or Joe Bloggs trading would create reveune for the club FFP and all that

There is other land out there to be developed. Whether The Al Qadis can get in on that i dont know but surey as investment bankers and Hoteliers they would be foolish to not enquire.

Maybe nothing will come of it but i would argue they have the responsibility to eye it up

The new stadium site at UWE site is surrounded by Cheswick village to one side and HP the other, there is no further land available to develop apart from land protected by the woodland trust.

25 minutes ago, Hello said:

Personally I have no clue, but they obviously have some. The AJIB shareholders were paid a 12% dividend last year according to the Jordan Times and they have plenty.of business interests.

As I say even if they dont have masses of personal wealth (relatively speaking) he atea they are in they have access to money and/or people with it

When Steve meets Wael...

image.jpg

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 8

10 minutes ago, Hello said:

So your going to rely on loans then to finance the UWE and develop the academy?

7 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

The new stadium site at UWE site is surrounded by Cheswick village to one side and HP the other, there is no further land available to develop apart from land protected by the woodland trust.

All i know is UWE had land from HP and plan or are building a new part of the University and there are plans for bars and a Hotel (Google)

Dont know what else is there. I dont doubt you though. As i say the new owners would be remiss to not explore all avenues and plunge straight in to a project that isnt theirs

9 minutes ago, Hello said:

Do you actually know what the 12% number means?

They distributed a dividend pot of JOD18,000,000.

The Al Qadi's own approximately 31.1% of AJIB.

The dividend distribution to the Al Qadi family is therefore JOD5,598,000

JOD5,598,000 = GBP5,568,280

It's nice. But it's no billionaire family.

3 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

So your going to rely on loans then to finance the UWE and develop the academy?

No one knows do they. But we were relying on other peoples money before so....

I am trying to be realistic. I dont know their wealth but i assume they are business savvy enough to evaluate everthing before jumping in on someone elses project

There has been some foolishness from our fans but city and Rovers trying to one each other with no facts seems pointless

I guess we will find out in the coming months what the plans and realities are.

5 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Do you actually know what the 12% number means?

They distributed a dividend pot of JOD18,000,000.

The Al Qadi's own approximately 31.1% of AJIB.

The dividend distribution to the Al Qadi family is therefore JOD5,598,000

JOD5,598,000 = GBP5,568,280

It's nice. But it's no billionaire family.

And.did you read what i wrote underneath.

They obviously have money and continue to generate money. What they have all over is anyones guess.

8 minutes ago, Hello said:

And.did you read what i wrote underneath.

They obviously have money and continue to generate money. What they have all over is anyones guess.

Yes I did read it. But you just seem to throw numbers around without any context. 12% is meaningless. 12% of what? (It was 12% of the Bank's capital.) I was adding some actual value to that number.

Taken from the Arab Jordan Investment Bank website ;- "Wael is passionate about football, loves to play, watch and attend football matches and tournaments, and is heavily involved In little leagues and kids' football academies in Jordan and is a board member in Amman FC academy. He is also a member of the marketing committee at the JFA".

Sounds like a perfect match.

I think what we can probably agree on is that they`re in a lot better position financially than they were a week ago and should be able to pay their bills now. What happens in the future is anyone`s guess  but I suspect it won`t involve them being completely asset stripped or signing Lionel Messi but somewhere in between.

We`ll have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Hello said:

The fact he was sat in standard seating at Stamford bridge rather than in the posh expensive seats etc doesn't ring alarm bells about their truth wealth?

26 minutes ago, Hello said:

I would hope they have paid off Wonga first

Hmmm, nothing has been paid off. He stated "debts will be paid off over time"

Again says quite a lot.

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think what we can probably agree on is that they`re in a lot better position financially than they were a week ago and should be able to pay their bills now. What happens in the future is anyone`s guess  but I suspect it won`t involve them being completely asset stripped or signing Lionel Messi but somewhere in between.

We`ll have to wait and see.

No I don't think anyone can agree. There has been zero evidence to back up any wealth. Nick Higgs was quite well off, wouldn't it be perfect if Higgs actually has more money than these lot?

• Like 3

22 hours ago 
Post Options

Post by 1986gas on 22 hours ago

Seth Starkadder Avatar
1986gas Avatar
I don't think for a moment that the UWE will happen on its current terms, Al Qadi said the talks continue.

No one seemed to pick up on NH saying 'hopefully' the UWE will still be built.

I think it comes down to whether the UWE are open to a sale of the land, think there may be some ruling that a Uni can't be seen to be making big profits, so a money talks scenario to get the land would perhaps be unlikely.

He may be able to flex his financial muscles to purchase the Rolls Royce land and a hotel there would be a better idea than a hotel at UWE where two other hotels are within a stones throw.

Gut feeling is a new stadium will be built to a different spec (maybe bigger) at a different location with a hotel and all the club facilities on one site, but that is just a feeling.

Whatever the outcome it's going to be one hell of a journey and in 3-5 years the club will be unrecognisable to how it is today IMO.

I don't know where this 'universities aren't allowed to profit' line comes from.  They're financially independent institutions, expected to make the most of their assets.  Oxford University is a major landowner and coins it in from that.  If UWE have land they don't need, why shouldn't they sell it?  If it's effectively on a permanent lease, with a stadium on it, it's not as if they could do anything else with it themselves.  I assumed the lease arrangement was to help a skint football club to fund the stadium (not enough, as it turned out).  If that's not required, bank it upfront.  I've no grasp on this strips of land thing: what strips of land, where's this come from, and (maybe relevant to the where they are thing), what's their significance?

I agree with Astafjev's thought that it might be easy for the locally inexperienced to overestimate the chances of finding an alternative site and getting planning permission for a blue sky rethink.  Maybe the talks with S Glos have encourage it, though.

Her indoors works at the higher education funding council and seems to think that there could be a clause in selling the land previously owned by HP on to a private investor, I misunderstood what she was saying first time around, not for the first nor last time! Maybe there isn't a clause but wifey seems to think there may well be one, time will tell.

Read more: http://gasheads.org/thread/4616/stadium-uwe#ixzz40q2TkyCi

28 minutes ago, ciderup said:

Here he is, the walking advert for sterilisation. What a belter the dad is. Fancy filming when your dad is pissed up.

You have to give the lad some credit, with an old man like that he's done well with the hand he was dealt in life. In his shoes I most probably would have been drinking petrol, like his father appears to do. 

54 minutes ago, Coombsy said:

Have rovers payed off all the lones or just the directors lones .

?

This is a very interesting point. The new owners might have taken over by buying out the previous directors - i e paying them the money they had lent the club. On the other hand, Nick Higgs and Co. may have realised that they had no way to pay the Wonga loan in the summer and, the longer they stayed with the club, the worse their personal financial position would become. In this case, they may have been prepared to right off some of their personal loans, meaning the new owners are only responsible for non-directors debts. This would be a relatively cheap way to buy the club, based on the value of the land. 

4 minutes ago, Coombsy said:
22 hours ago 
Post Options

Post by 1986gas on 22 hours ago

Seth Starkadder Avatar
1986gas Avatar
I don't think for a moment that the UWE will happen on its current terms, Al Qadi said the talks continue.

No one seemed to pick up on NH saying 'hopefully' the UWE will still be built.

I think it comes down to whether the UWE are open to a sale of the land, think there may be some ruling that a Uni can't be seen to be making big profits, so a money talks scenario to get the land would perhaps be unlikely.

He may be able to flex his financial muscles to purchase the Rolls Royce land and a hotel there would be a better idea than a hotel at UWE where two other hotels are within a stones throw.

Gut feeling is a new stadium will be built to a different spec (maybe bigger) at a different location with a hotel and all the club facilities on one site, but that is just a feeling.

Whatever the outcome it's going to be one hell of a journey and in 3-5 years the club will be unrecognisable to how it is today IMO.

I don't know where this 'universities aren't allowed to profit' line comes from.  They're financially independent institutions, expected to make the most of their assets.  Oxford University is a major landowner and coins it in from that.  If UWE have land they don't need, why shouldn't they sell it?  If it's effectively on a permanent lease, with a stadium on it, it's not as if they could do anything else with it themselves.  I assumed the lease arrangement was to help a skint football club to fund the stadium (not enough, as it turned out).  If that's not required, bank it upfront.  I've no grasp on this strips of land thing: what strips of land, where's this come from, and (maybe relevant to the where they are thing), what's their significance?

I agree with Astafjev's thought that it might be easy for the locally inexperienced to overestimate the chances of finding an alternative site and getting planning permission for a blue sky rethink.  Maybe the talks with S Glos have encourage it, though.

Her indoors works at the higher education funding council and seems to think that there could be a clause in selling the land previously owned by HP on to a private investor, I misunderstood what she was saying first time around, not for the first nor last time! Maybe there isn't a clause but wifey seems to think there may well be one, time will tell.

Read more: http://gasheads.org/thread/4616/stadium-uwe#ixzz40q2TkyCi

Ffs why does it just say I've not got a bloody clue what's happening.

20 minutes ago, Just Red said:

No I don't think anyone can agree. There has been zero evidence to back up any wealth. Nick Higgs was quite well off, wouldn't it be perfect if Higgs actually has more money than these lot?

Many a true word etc etc

The priority for Nicholas was to get out and this option enabled him to do that.

Although details of the transaction have not been disclosed it is interesting that those who had the most to gain by their debt being repaid seem happy whereas those who possibly expected a windfall for selling their shares do not appear overjoyed. And apparently no offer was made to the shareholders still left with 8% of the equity ?

But the big question remaining unanswered is the commitment to the future because Nicholas had repeatedly said he would only sell to someone who could show they had a plan to take Rovers forward and prove they had the funds to implement that plan.

Where is the plan ?  

The other interested party are said to have had a plan which included building the UWE Stadium to it's full specification and injecting substantial cash into the football club to help elevate the team up the leagues.

But perhaps they were not prepared to be so generous to Nicholas and Co so he turned a blind ear to them ?

• Like 5