IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

31 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So spot on.

What their upturn in form has also done is allow the local media (Bristol Post & Radio Bristol) to start off yet another Rovers wankfest whilst singularly failing to point out the current pathetic level they play at.

There genuinely was an article in the Post by their new sports reporter (an idiot by the name of Dan Newman) the week before last, comparing Clarke and Cotterill's win ratios over their time in Bristol and deducing in all seriousness that the former's was better, strangely failing to point out Cotterill was facing the likes of Burnley, Derby and Hull this season whereas Clarke's record included wins against footballing giants such as Telford and Dover..

On this basis those goals I scored in the school playground between 1975 and 1980 obviously demonstrated how much better a striker I was than Ian Rush.

Got a link to his article? Would love a good laugh.

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Argyle fan I works with begs to differ, both their first choice central midfielders have been missing for the last six weeks, one injured, the other was recalled by Palace.

Both are now back.

Different opinions, I haven't watched them but know several people who go to most games and that's what they tell me.

You get posts here where somebody comes on saying X had a shocker and it sounds like they were at a totally different game to you.

11 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Different opinions, I haven't watched them but know several people who go to most games and that's what they tell me.

You get posts here where somebody comes on saying X had a shocker and it sounds like they were at a totally different game to you.

Even , sometimes, a game where X didn't play :o

5 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Maybe you soon have to drop the dopey??....they will be promoted,back to backs.not too shabby...

In recent memory they used to boast about never being in the bottom division, then they lost the ability to make that boast. it got so bad that they have had to boast about being the biggest team in non-league. Now they are boasting about getting out of a league, that only a few years ago they were "prowed" to have never been in. It's all a matter of perspective I guess.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

They had a full house yesterday....taken them long enough this season but then it's amazing how many 'loyal' Gasheads suddenly remember they support Rovers when they look likely to get promoted. 

According to many I've seen on Facebook, yesterday's crowd PROVES that they have fantastic fans and need a much bigger stadium. Imagine how bursting with pride they would be if they'd had as many 'sell outs' as us this season at the wrong end of the table? 

Hope they don't get promoted but they probably will, don't mind too much as long as we stay up.

Dont think our average for next season will differ from our reduced capacity this season...16,000??....

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

Dont think our average for next season will differ from our reduced capacity this season...16,000??....

Don't know really, do we? Depends how well we do on the pitch...success on the pitch usually attracts higher crowds. Either way, the fact that we consistantly sell out when we've been in the bottom 5 all season is something we should be proud about. 

If we stay up and have a similar season next year as we have this season then I think the 'new stadium' (or at least 'completed redevelopment,) effect will certainly keep crowds at the level they've been this season. Like I say, do well and we'll have higher gates. 

IMO.

43 minutes ago, Miahdennehy said:

I don't think we will go up, I suspect we will get beat in the play offs, but I have enjoyed this season , as I did last season as well.

I think the important thing about watching your team, is that you do, at times, get some sense of enjoyment from it all. Rovers have alays been a big part of my life, and if I'm honest there were times when it all meant far too much to me. As much as I loved beating you in 1990, the build up to it all was unbearable, and I could think of little else. Then there was that run of derby games where you just could not seem to beat us, it should have been great for me, but all it led to was me dreading each time we played you thinking 'they are bound to win eventually'. It was almost a relief when Donowa scored and got it over and done with.

Then there was the whole 'never in the bottom division' thing- which actually was never true, as the third division south was the bottom division for years, and we were in it for nearly it's entire existence! Also the 'only ever been one division between us' was another monkey off our back.

Of course I never wanted Rovers to go into the conference,but now it's happened (massively helped by the fact we got back straight away) I can, hand on heart say I'm glad it happened. After the dodgy start, winning games was fun again, and- believe it or not- the fact that you were absolutely running away with it in the 3rd division, meant that I stopped worrying about your results, something I had been far too obsessed with in previous years.

Don't get me wrong, an ideal weekend for me would be us winning and you losing, but a reverse of that no longer ruins my weekend, and IF we do ever start playing you again on a regular basis, I think I may be able to enjoy it all a little more than before.

Anyway, I've just realised Saturdays like today without football are just bollocks, it just leads to me drinking several pints at home and posting sentimental bollocks like this.

Having just seen your run in Miah, I'd be amazed if you didn't hang on to one of the  automatic places. 

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

As we've sold out in the vast majority of games, despite a largely unsuccessful season, it would be logical to assume that - if we stay up - our average for a season in which we will be unlikely to be as awful in the opening phases and with a newish manager, and hopefully some exciting close season additions, is likely to be higher. Particularly as we will now be able to sell significantly more tickets for "big" matches. 

3 minutes ago, Hello said:

Serious point, do you think the reduced AG capacity would have enticed fans to get STs and bump up the attendance in the event that if you had a good season they wouldnt be scrabbling for tickets.

How many STs did you sell out of interest?

That would be a very expensive way of trying to make sure you've got a seat on the off chance that you might want to attend the odd match.

As Cynic says I believe ST sales were capped at 12k which I guess means we could potentially have sold more. A good season last year and promotion obviously helped sales. 

2 hours ago, Miahdennehy said:

I don't think we will go up, I suspect we will get beat in the play offs, but I have enjoyed this season , as I did last season as well.

I think the important thing about watching your team, is that you do, at times, get some sense of enjoyment from it all. Rovers have alays been a big part of my life, and if I'm honest there were times when it all meant far too much to me. As much as I loved beating you in 1990, the build up to it all was unbearable, and I could think of little else. Then there was that run of derby games where you just could not seem to beat us, it should have been great for me, but all it led to was me dreading each time we played you thinking 'they are bound to win eventually'. It was almost a relief when Donowa scored and got it over and done with.

Then there was the whole 'never in the bottom division' thing- which actually was never true, as the third division south was the bottom division for years, and we were in it for nearly it's entire existence! Also the 'only ever been one division between us' was another monkey off our back.

Of course I never wanted Rovers to go into the conference,but now it's happened (massively helped by the fact we got back straight away) I can, hand on heart say I'm glad it happened. After the dodgy start, winning games was fun again, and- believe it or not- the fact that you were absolutely running away with it in the 3rd division, meant that I stopped worrying about your results, something I had been far too obsessed with in previous years.

Don't get me wrong, an ideal weekend for me would be us winning and you losing, but a reverse of that no longer ruins my weekend, and IF we do ever start playing you again on a regular basis, I think I may be able to enjoy it all a little more than before.

Anyway, I've just realised Saturdays like today without football are just bollocks, it just leads to me drinking several pints at home and posting sentimental bollocks like this.

Interesting post,from the heart..maybe's you should do a little more 'daytime' drinking!......

5 hours ago, Gazinpeace said:

How much will your capacity increase next season, out of interest? I am assuming more of the building will have been finished.

Ground capacity will be 27,000 next season. I am assuming that 'football capacity' will be more like 25,000 due to segregation. There are loads of variables like night games, atrocious weather, poor form etc but all things being equal we should attract 25,000 gates for Cardiff, Newcastle, Aston Villa and possibly QPR, Derby and Forest. Not sure we'll reach 25,000 for the mighty Burton Albion.

7 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Having just seen your run in Miah, I'd be amazed if you didn't hang on to one of the  automatic places. 

Don't forget the 1st to 7th in 8 games under Holloway :rofl2br:

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/6511/years-time-talk-bristol-rovers

It can't be scripted, they just keep on giving.

My personal favourites 

"Think it was said around the time they announced plans for ashton vale. Well, people are talking about us worldwide now!!"

and

"Our bloke got his own bank so AV a bit of that Lansdown!!"

They're a brilliant bunch.  Long live the gas.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, howey_ducky said:

My personal favourites 

"Think it was said around the time they announced plans for ashton vale. Well, people are talking about us worldwide now!!"

and

Well, people are talking about us worldwide now!!"

FFS :laugh:

Hope the 6th richest club in world football get the outside funding they need to build their stadium outside of Bristol :chant6ez:

Edited by Iron Man

Our bloke got his own bank so AV a bit of that Lansdown!!

:laugh: they are so clueless

AJIB

Market Cap 277.5 M P/E(ttm) 13.21
Enterprise Value 299.01 M P/B 1.39

Hargreaves Lansdown

Market Cap 6.11 B P/E(ttm) 36.83
Enterprise Value 5.95 B P/B 28.57

• Like 4

7 hours ago, howey_ducky said:

My personal favourites 

and

Well SL was basically right as when (if) they ever move to the UWE Bristol Rovers will never be spoken of again, as they will surely use their new name of South Gloucestershire Rovers.

Obviously when they finally go bust, no-one will ever speak of them again anyway.

9 hours ago, howey_ducky said:

My personal favourites 

and

I got me own car, doesn't make me Lewis Hamilton.

• Like 4