IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

10 hours ago, Red Army 87 said:

it will soon be revealed that Lansdown and Wael are good friends and regularly spend quality time together at Lansdowns retreat in Botswana.

A friend of Horace's saw them together last night in the Avon Gorge Hotel.

Edited by Aizoon
  • Like 2

As I'm a bit bored and just looked at the blue few's remaining fixtures on bbc sport website, they have 4 of the bottom 5 teams left to play out of their 5 games and the other game is Exeter. They must have a great chance of automatic unless they can **** it up. pppppllllleeeeaaaasssseeee............

The second best team in the area were playing at the Mem yesterday .... and defeated the mighty sags ... and put them out of another cup competition! ...featuring Neanderthal gas on the right in the picture ...

4778258.jpg

http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/sport/14422279.FULL_TIME__BRISTOL_ROVERS_3__FOREST_GREEN_4___Brett_Williams_and_Kieffer_Moore_make_their_mark/

UWE should just build a international indoor athletics stadium - it would offer them so much more, with covers it could provide a gymnastics and tennis venue as well with 5-10k people. The area really needs something like this, and UWE students would benefit a lot more than they wpould from a football ground. IT would also gets UWE's name out there.

12 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

He's probably right, the atmosphere was terrible all game. But then again Man City fans didn't run on the pitch when they scored.

To be fair, a voice of reason in the darkness ?

Perhaps it really shows how we've been starved of success that even drawing at Northampton is seem as success, for Man C fans last night it was just another win??

And now I need a shower, I feel dirty after looking on there !  :shutup:

5 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

So, this guy was watching a live Sags reserve game via YouTube last night:

"Funnily enough i was in pub last night when entire pub was watching man city v psg and i was watching rovers reserves v forest green on my phone on you tube was quite funny watching their faces when i was jumping up at the goals"

New one on me.  I didn't know YouTube had started streaming reserve games live....that's because they don't!  What a tit.

Sorry to piss on your chips, but they do. At least Brentford do, I watched some of our reserve game there via you tube. (Think there was a link on here)

23 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

A bit low rent compared to setting their main stand alight......

Harmless bit of fun, as long as they do their jobs well they can be prowed that they have contributed to the success of Bristol's premier football team.  They will be able to regale their gashead compatriots with wondrous tales of roofs and flush toilets.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Fiale said:

UWE should just build a international indoor athletics stadium - it would offer them so much more, with covers it could provide a gymnastics and tennis venue as well with 5-10k people. The area really needs something like this, and UWE students would benefit a lot more than they wpould from a football ground. IT would also gets UWE's name out there.

Now if only a rich, local sports-supporting entrepreneur could be persuaded to invest in a project like that. The facilities at the Bristol Sport/UWE multisports centre would doubtless be first class and admired all over the country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Now if only a rich, local sports-supporting entrepreneur could be persuaded to invest in a project like that. The facilities at the Bristol Sport/UWE multisports centre would doubtless be first class and admired all over the country.

It would certainly put us on the sporting map, especially if we can attract national/international badmington/tennis/gymnastics/athletics/judo/boxing 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Screenshot_20160413-221721.png

At last some documentary evidence of the fact that for the 1935/36 football season clubs called Rovers were ordered by the Government to change their name in the interests of national security. The Pirates adopted the nom de guerre "Bristol Rivers" as a tributary to the majestic waterway of the Frome which meandered effluently past their Eastville home.

The situation had arisen after the demise of SA chief Ernst Rohm in 1934 which left a power vacuum at the top of the Nazi party. British intelligence was conspiring with leaders of the Reichswehr to topple Hitler but a counter threat emerged through radical elements of the SA who wished to resurrect their lost hero as a cult figure and seize power from the Fuhrer. Reich Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels saw advantage in this and soon newsreels and radio broadcasts were staged with highly charged audiences chanting "Rohmers Rohmers" to signify their support for the martyred Ernst Rohm. Before long the campaign was given an international twist as newsreels from British cities such as Doncaster, Blackburn and Bristol were featured and, through the technical wizardry of the Telefunken company, the sound was distorted to give the effect of massed crowds in Britain chanting "Rohmers,Rohmers" instead of "Rovers, Rovers". By early 1935 the German population was convinced that their counterparts across Europe were rallying in support of the radical Ernst Rohm SA faction and it's popularity quickly surged. In the face of such a threat Adolf Hitler, the German Army and the British Government formed an unlikely alliance to thwart  the SA counter revolutionaries. Emergency Parliamentary measures were enacted and, despite protests from the RSPCA, the name Rovers was forbidden to be used in public.Within a short space of time the British "Rohmers" were forgotten and in Germany the radical SA plotters slipped into oblivion.  

For the 1936/37 season the name Bristol Rovers was reinstated and the "Bristol Rivers" interlude was hushed up to the extent that even long standing club members such as myself, who weren't there at the time, have forgotten that it never happened.    

• Like 3