IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

22 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

You have to feel for Accrington Stanley, their fans in the background of the sky sports updates looked a mixture of devastation, suicidal and shell shocked. You wouldn't want to put your mortgage on them making it up through the play offs (although I hope they do).

Yes I feel sorry for them but it's Wimbledon that I want to go up. The team started by the fans when their own club was uprooted and moved to Milton Keynes. The team that has climbed its way out of the non-league and could be playing and defeating the club, treated as a mere franchise by its owner, that once was theirs.

That's the double I want to see: MK Dons relegated to the third (tick) and AFC Wimbledon promoted to the third in the same season.

• Like 8

There is one thing I'm happy to admit I'm jealous of Rovers fans about. Twice now in two seasons, they've achieved something with effectively one kick of a football - their penalty in the play-off final last year, and their last-ditch goal yesterday. That must feel special. For all our superiority, I don't ever recall one single kick of a ball having quite such an impact for us during my lifetime (I'm 32). As a football fan you live for moments like that.

Happy to be corrected though!

I like the rivalry. It's a fun bit of banter and I wouldn't want to lose that.

I just look at both clubs and where they are both on and off the field and it's obvious that when it comes to the important things were just in completely different places. My mum is a rovers fan and I had the obligatory 5 o'clock wind up call and I found myself just smiling. I actually found myself happy for her. She thought I would give it loads back but it just didn't seem important.

I know this sounds like a cheap shot but I don't know how else to phrase it, but Rovers look and act and are and have been for over 15 years a lower league club. Without uncle steve there but for the grace of God go all of us I know, but we are where we are and pushing on. Rovers you sense aren't. 

• Admin
15 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

There is one thing I'm happy to admit I'm jealous of Rovers fans about. Twice now in two seasons, they've achieved something with effectively one kick of a football - their penalty in the play-off final last year, and their last-ditch goal yesterday. That must feel special. For all our superiority, I don't ever recall one single kick of a ball having quite such an impact for us during my lifetime (I'm 32). As a football fan you live for moments like that.

Luckily we're good enough to have the business done way in advance. 

I guess the closest we got was Christian Roberts vs Hartlepool 

• Like 1

I have mates that are gAss , and you can understand them celebrating. It may annoy me but it's another promotion, and however it comes you'd celebrate too but..... 

All the City we are coming to get you posts ? I didn't even think about them after we did it last year. In fact if it hadn't been the digs from some deluded blues I wouldn't have thought about them all season, let alone on the day of our promotion ! That was the game Vs Bradford 6-0 , not a last minute goal Vs a confirmed Non League side  (now don't be mean and say that's their level).

The Taylor is better than Kodjia posts are interesting. he (Taylor) is top scorer and fair play but some perspective. He has scored 4 more goals than a player that couldn't buy a goal for years, and to compare L2 goals with Championship goals (ignoring the new Country stuff etc) is ridiculous. Like comparing Championship with (as there aren't 2 Div's above us) Europe , International ? Still when does common sense or logic enter their heads (there are exceptions but not too many for a day or so). 

L1 is a bit more of a step up, many teams have done well in their first League season but I think they will need investment on and off the pitch. Obviously not a problem for the mega rich Chelsea fan from the 6th richest club in the universe . 

Things to look out for during the summer...... 

Their new ground progress, will the money become available? New investment news has been sparse.

New signings, a statement of intent or will the ground limit funds.

Daryl level ? Step up for club and manager, can he be tempted away from side on the verge of the Prem??

Will Taylor be tempted away? A sure way for him to cash in is move, may have been his best season and a move normally means higher wages.

Anyway that's enough of that, I'm sick of the sight of those Jesters shirts and blue in general. As i said I get the celebration, but not the obsession with us? 

I'll leave you with a quote, not sure if it was Noel Coward, Shakespear or James Joyce who once said ....

" Wer r goub up I say we t gpi. Up.  We r goin up we r goub up.  Not  do RC in sote.  Yyyyueerrrrrrree "

Back to Back promotion from the conference to League is very common, and then that club reaches its level. It just shows how bad the Conference and League 2.

Yeovil Town, Fleetwood, Stevenage all have done back to back promotions in recent years.  But obviously the gas will be claiming that their back to back promotion is unique 

Edited by bs3
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

Luckily we're good enough to have the business done way in advance. 

I guess the closest we got was Christian Roberts vs Hartlepool 

Let's not kid ourselves that we've always been good enough to achieve what we wanted. As if we haven't had our share of disappointment and near misses. Did we do the business in advance against Brighton in 2004?

Agree Roberts is the probably the closest, but it got us to the final, rather than actually achieving promotion, so it's not quite the same.

11 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Back to Back promotion from the conference to League is very common, and then that club reaches its level. It just shows how bad the Conference and League 2.

Yeovil Town, Fleetwood, Stevenage all have done back to back promotions in recent years.  But obviously the gas will be claiming that their back to back promotion is unique 

Well obviously :doh:

10 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Its not unique no.

The third division might be our level. Obviously anything can happen but i would hope we have a bit more tha Yeovil borrowing a team every year,.or Stevenage, Fleetwood to be comfortable in league, but it only takes one bad managerial appointment or aignings that dont care.

Yesterday was great, and enjoyable the party will continue later.

Hopefully next year is positive but i will lake 20th now

• Like 1

I don't see them as rivals (not from Bristol nor work there) but my circumstance aside, how could you put these two together as rivals when they operate in different leagues, financial, support and facilities are worlds apart. I've heard the chant of we're coming for you which is laughable. It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Let them continue to make fools of themselves, absolute delusion on their part that they are anywhere near a rival.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bs3 said:

I love how they are celebrating the fact they are the only Bristol club to have done back to back promotions....

If we ever find ourselves in that position then God help us.

Won't hide the fact the with their end of match pitch invasion while Accrington were still playing I was hoping Windas Jnr would get a goal

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hello said:

Purely for banter as i know some of you will enjoy taking the piss out of it. :laugh:

13139183_10208215391715787_5578270288305320757_n.jpg

Was this taken after the Chelsea v Spurs game? 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

They are now back to the level where historically they have usually been (so by the way, are we).

Finishing above Accrington Stanley on goal difference really isn't the achievement their mates in the print and sound media will now spend all this summer making out that it is.

They will now have to play Sheff U, Coventry, MK and the likes in a ramshackle non league standard ground, if they find the step up a struggle their home games on a winter night against Bury or Oldham will very soon revert to the usual 5000 suspects.

As is said above, despite their claim to be "coming for us" in so many ways (as well as literally of course) we operate in a completely different league now.

As for those who long for the return of the Bristol Derby, what sort of ambition is that? We want to challenge ourselves against teams like Boro, Burnley, Derby, etc, not Bristol's equivalent of Gillingham or Leyton Orient.

On reflection a day or so on , although you have to say they kept going to the end it was written that these jammy sods would score another last kick winner as so many times this season but hey ho shit happens.

But asking myself why I hate them is not on the pitch but off , the delusional idiots that ballshit for England , taken this many here or there , always rounding it up to the next thousand or so , where our media tell us we had 1,997 instead of 2k,  the recent crap where they let it be quoted they took 40k to the conference final where even officially by them a year ago it was just on 30k, all they will care about is how many we took somewhere next season compared to them , and results that better ours against certain clubs, although be aware we did take 99 points the last time we were in that league , I know a few gas fans and although decent lads all live in the ' we got to show we can be better than them ' camp.

And by the way can someone start a new thread as it does seem we are obsessed with them as it reaches 200 pages BUT it's a year old !

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The last gasp Colin Gordon goal against Donny Rovers in 1988 to get us into the play offs could be one of those moments....sheer ecstasy!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Still in shock - don't think I've ever been to a match that was so emotionally draining.

Still minding the gap, although it just got a little bit narrower.

Fair play to you 'In the Net', at least you and Miah had the balls (I know not strictly true in your case :handbags:) to carry on posting after you went down. Unlike 'SYG' you seem to be able to string a sentence together as well.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The last gasp Colin Gordon goal against Donny Rovers in 1988 to get us into the play offs could be one of those moments....sheer ecstasy!

I don't remember that - before my time. But again, it's a moment that got us into the playoffs, rather than actually achieving promotion. I don't think we've ever had a definitive one-kick-of-the-ball moment in quite the same way.

26 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Seen this photo a few times on Facebook, I think Dopey is getting done 'up the wrong un' by the grateful Saghead directly behind him.

image.jpeg

Looks like a scene from The Walking Dead.

Edited by Gazred
  • Like 9