IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, Manon said:

Seriously, that is beautiful. Fantastic news that they will have some cover from the rain as they walk through the door after getting soaked all the way up the steps.  Yes folks that's all inclusive in your corporate package. 

Not sure which is funnier, the canopy or the signage on the staircase which requires you to dislocate your neck to read... 

Looks more like a canape  !

2 hours ago, Super said:

Pie problems now :D

The club have decided not to sell pies any more at home games.

The reason given is to speed up the queues at the food outlets. Now, can someone tell me how not selling pies is going to speed up the queues, I do not like pasties, apart from not bothering to buy food as I will not be bothering in future.

A totally farcical decision with absolutely no logic.

its funnier that their forum are actually defending it and backing the club over it.....they are brainwashed, 

• Like 1

There is understandably concern among followers of Rovers who can think for themselves.

The expected public relations improvement has not materialised and the gaffes with the UWE false dawn, the new kit delays, the fun day scheduling, the ludicrous  bigging up of tents and canopies and now piegate are all so reminiscent of the Nicholas Higgs era.

The new directors have not taken full time executive roles and are merely friends of "the family" helping out. The day to day running is in the hands of Sir Stephen Hamster who, with the best will in the world, is not a cutting edge 21st century high flier. And apparently the Bristol Rovers acquisition has been described in some circles as "a property deal gone wrong". 

There is a suspicion that the managers three year contract and the last minute signing on bonus for Matt Taylor were panic reactions and symptomatic of the lack of direction the club is experiencing.

The new signings are uninspiring and not what was expected which probably accounts for the manager publicly showing his unease by stating that he wants to bring in two or three more quality players.

All in all one can only speculate that our owner's policy is now re-evaluation not evolution.

It is not an easy ride at Rovers but we will get there in the end and as long as we can generate a lot of laughs along the way then everyone will be happy.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

Typical, every other bugger is removing those letter seats !

Gas living in the 90's (well, just caught up to them).

Indeed. Cluttered and dated. It's not at all clear what it actually spells. In fact the top loops of the 'B' and 'R' don't appear to connect all the way around?!

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bert tann said:

There is understandably concern among followers of Rovers who can think for themselves.

The expected public relations improvement has not materialised and the gaffes with the UWE false dawn, the new kit delays, the fun day scheduling, the ludicrous  bigging up of tents and canopies and now piegate are all so reminiscent of the Nicholas Higgs era.

The new directors have not taken full time executive roles and are merely friends of "the family" helping out. The day to day running is in the hands of Sir Stephen Hamster who, with the best will in the world, is not a cutting edge 21st century high flier. And apparently the Bristol Rovers acquisition has been described in some circles as "a property deal gone wrong". 

There is a suspicion that the managers three year contract and the last minute signing on bonus for Matt Taylor were panic reactions and symptomatic of the lack of direction the club is experiencing.

The new signings are uninspiring and not what was expected which probably accounts for the manager publicly showing his unease by stating that he wants to bring in two or three more quality players.

All in all one can only speculate that our owner's policy is now re-evaluation not evolution.

It is not an easy ride at Rovers but we will get there in the end and as long as we can generate a lot of laughs along the way then everyone will be happy.

Behind the usual wit in your postings, Bert this particular piece appears to have been written not so much with speculation but rather, information. I've thought for some time that there seem to be real issues facing their new owner which he seems powerless to overcome. He appears to be out of his depth. Your view?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bert tann said:

Bert,this is the most serious post you've ever posted,are you ill.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Behind the usual wit in your postings, Bert this particular piece appears to have been written not so much with speculation but rather, information. I've thought for some time that there seem to be real issues facing their new owner which he seems powerless to overcome. He appears to be out of his depth. Your view?

I hope Wael Al-Qadi is not out of his depth and I hope his family will continue to support him because I think he is a genuine and sincere man.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Bert,this is the most serious post you've ever posted,are you ill.

I may be slightly under the weatherspoons but nothing which an injection of strong positive leadership at Rovers won't cure.

As was the case with Nicholas, I believe pretending the things I describe aren't happening does no good at all for Rovers.

It was the same after the dithering and indecision at City last Summer when I suggested a restructuring was necessary and thankfully for you Stephen Lansdown stepped in and made positive changes which included the appointment of Mark Ashton.

Action is needed at Rovers now before the honeymoon period ends in a "quickie" divorce.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

So Bert basically what is happening is what us shitheads said would happen but we got written off as jealous shites

Frankly I should have expected the Al-Qadi family to have engaged an experienced PR agency to manage the publicity surrounding their acquisition of Rovers.

Instead they set out a rather predictable and cloudy vision involving a new stadium, a training ground, an academy, development of home grown players, links with Jordan, more community involvement etc etc but there was little specific detail.

Yet the perception for most fans was that all these things were "in the bag" and in addition we could expect a huge transfer budget a massive improvement in the club's image and finally a serious assault on Bristol City's supremacy.

As we stand now absolutely everything depends on how well the team does in the first few months of the season yet it didn't have to be this way.

A little careful thought, attention to detail, coaching of existing staff or replacement with better staff, media management and an inspirational leader could have avoided the disappointment which may lie in store.  

If the UWE Stadium cannot be financed and we need to set our sights lower and if the only cash available for the playing budget has to come from the income we generate and there is no pot of gold to draw from then tell us and we will understand.

We are different from Bristol City, we always will be and we don't need to try to copy you.

There are ways in which we can gain the competitive edge and attract the thousands of potential local football followers who currently don't support either team and we need to find those ways. 

We will not do it by making ourselves look ridiculous by boasting about new canopies, new shipping containers or letters on plastic seats.

No matter how much fun it gives you lot !     

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Frankly I should have expected the Al-Qadi family to have engaged an experienced PR agency to manage the publicity surrounding their acquisition of Rovers.

Instead they set out a rather predictable and cloudy vision involving a new stadium, a training ground, an academy, development of home grown players, links with Jordan, more community involvement etc etc but there was little specific detail.

Yet the perception for most fans was that all these things were "in the bag" and in addition we could expect a huge transfer budget a massive improvement in the club's image and finally a serious assault on Bristol City's supremacy.

As we stand now absolutely everything depends on how well the team does in the first few months of the season yet it didn't have to be this way.

A little careful thought, attention to detail, coaching of existing staff or replacement with better staff, media management and an inspirational leader could have avoided the disappointment which may lie in store.  

If the UWE Stadium cannot be financed and we need to set our sights lower and if the only cash available for the playing budget has to come from the income we generate and there is no pot of gold to draw from then tell us and we will understand.

We are different from Bristol City, we always will be and we don't need to try to copy you.

There are ways in which we can gain the competitive edge and attract the thousands of potential local football followers who currently don't support either team and we need to find those ways. 

We will not do it by making ourselves look ridiculous by boasting about new canopies, new shipping containers or letters on plastic seats.

No matter how much fun it gives you lot !     

Don't forget the shed.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, bert tann said:

This is the aspect that has surprised me the most over the last few months; the lack of clarity provided regards a new home.

Surely everyone at Rovers realises that without a new ground or significant redevelopment in the old one (or some frankly remarkable management on the playing side of what is a team still largely composed of players with non-league pedigree) continued progression up the leagues, or even stability at League One level has a hard limit.

The fact this hasn't been laid out, coupled with a summer where Rovers haven't heavily invested in new players (which would at least signal intent, even if a little short sighted) means I'd be seriously concerned with what exactly the new man upstairs is planning, were I one of them.

I expect Rovers momentum will keep them in League One this coming season, but also that any standout players will be hard to then hold on to, unless real intent is shown.

Interesting times ahead, me thinks. 

Edited by samo II

35 minutes ago, bert tann said:

I may be slightly under the weatherspoons but nothing which an injection of strong positive leadership at Rovers won't cure.

As was the case with Nicholas, I believe pretending the things I describe aren't happening does no good at all for Rovers.

It was the same after the dithering and indecision at City last Summer when I suggested a restructuring was necessary and thankfully for you Stephen Lansdown stepped in and made positive changes which included the appointment of Mark Ashton.

Action is needed at Rovers now before the honeymoon period ends in a "quickie" divorce.  

I like your posts, Bert, and it is not nice to see you write like a broken man.

I suppose life as a Rovers fan gets to you all eventually.

Chin up.

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, samo II said:

This is the aspect that has surprised me the most over the last few months; the lack of clarity provided regards a new home.

Surely everyone at Rovers realises that without a new ground or significant redevelopment in the old one (or some frankly remarkable management on the playing side of what is a team still largely composed of players with non-league pedigree) continued progression up the leagues, or even stability at League One level has a hard limit.

The fact this hasn't been laid out, coupled with a summer where Rovers haven't heavily invested in new players (which would at least signal intent, even if a little short sighted) means I'd be seriously concerned with what exactly the new man upstairs is planning, were I one of them.

I expect Rovers momentum will keep them in League One this coming season, but also that any standout players will be hard to then hold on to, unless real intent is shown.

Interesting times ahead, me thinks. 

You were doing so well ...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, redfred said:

I like your posts, Bert, and it is not nice to see you write like a broken man.

I suppose life as a Rovers fan gets to you all eventually.

Chin up.

As do I 

sensible gas heads are always welcome here, we aren't petty children like those on your forum,

i said when the take over happened that this is a land grab by Hamer. I still believe this to be the case, 

I generally think a stealth asset stripping will take place in around 6 months time, this is mainly because of Brexit which means land values have dropped and the property market currently in flux, which will explain the frankly bizarre statement from rovers on the day of the Brexit vote

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

As do I 

sensible gas heads are always welcome here, we aren't petty children like those on your forum,

i said when the take over happened that this is a land grab by Hamer. I still believe this to be the case, 

I generally think a stealth asset stripping will take place in around 6 months time, this is mainly because of Brexit which means land values have dropped and the property market currently in flux, which will explain the frankly bizarre statement from rovers on the day of the Brexit vote

That really was bizarre.

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

As do I 

But how on earth do you justify the huge investment into the new shed, canopy and 1990's seats, Monkeh?.....

15 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

As do I 

Indeed, the contrast between this poster's humorous and well thought out postings and the inane tripe of the other one who is always on this thread stands out a mile.

• Like 5