IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Their owner has retweeted something about them having more Facebook 'likes'. Imagine Lansdown doing that, it simply wouldn't happen. Different league of professionalism and class.

As @Tomarse alluded to, it's not inconceivable they purchased likes. I wonder if they have..

image.png

Still put our badge before theirs. Know your limits!

27 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Under a year ago, the blue few had 42,000 likes. 

So... 58,000 likes in under a year? Sounds legit. 

Suspiciously.. according to likescheck.com (which appears to be a pretty legit site for analytics of Facebook likes)..

Their "likes" are as follows..

From the diagram, 36.7% (32k) of their "likers" are from the UK and a suspicious 3.5k from Indonesia!

To make it fair, I tested against us. Whilst around 50% (45.5k) of our "likers" are UK based, we also have a suspiciously high Indonesian following. Whilst it's possible we'd have likes globally, I am sceptical of it being half, or in Rovers' case almost two thirds, of our "likers".

Could both clubs be up to a bit of trickery? I would think the 32k/45.5k split for British based support is probably accurate.

brfc.PNG

BRFC2.PNG

BCFC.PNG

bcfc2.PNG

Edited by Phileas Fogg
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Amazing, they've spent more money on facebook "likes" than football players this transfer window. Surely a new low for the minnows?

....SEE! they told us that Wally was going to splash the cash on the club and he has!

They get themselves a shitload of fake Facebook 'Likes' from the Far East and Africa and our bloody owner will only pay for a superb 27k stadium and some quality players.

Lucky Gas BASTARDS!!!!!!

Pull your finger out Lansdown!

#ticktock

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Suspiciously.. according to likescheck.com (which appears to be a pretty legit site for analytics of Facebook likes)..

From the diagram, 36.7% (32k) of their "likers" are from the UK and a suspicious 3.5k from Indonesia!

To make it fair, I tested against us. Whilst around 50% (45.5k) of our "likers" are UK based, we also have a suspiciously high Indonesian following. Whilst it's possible we'd have likes globally, I am sceptical of it being half, or in Rovers' case almost two thirds, of our "likers".

Could both clubs be up to a bit of trickery? I would think the 32k/45.5k split for British based support is probably accurate.

brfc.PNG

BRFC2.PNG

BCFC.PNG

bcfc2.PNG

I suppose Third Worlders can identify with the slags.

Edited by Mike Hunt-Hertz

4 minutes ago, Sargent Pepper said:

Gutted about losing the battle of Facebook likes. It makes our superiority in head to head matches, historic league positions, trophies, current league, status, facilities, infrastructure, finance, attendances meaningless now. 

I know, there really is no point in carrying on now. We might as well just go and play on the Downs and hand the stadium over to the rugby.

We know our place.

3 hours ago, bert tann said:

You mean the 1950's ?

Ah, but what a manager Rovers had then eh Rich ?

Clough, Ferguson & Shankly all rolled into one with just a touch of the Arsene although we won't go into that.

Up at post 11199 RumRed has a photo of Stephen Lansdown and in it I have to say he looks just like a farmer I used to buy gallons of cider from goodness knows how many years ago. This is not intended to be disrespectful. In fact I wonder how many other fans thought something similar when they saw that photo. A typical West Countryman - one of your own you might say - and certainly not the stereotypical image of a grey faceless businessman.

I thought it was rather nice.

On the other hand Rovers now have a non-Bristolian owner for the first time in our history and we must work out how we are going to adapt to this situation and compete with Bristol City in a way which will inspire our fans and attract neutrals to our cause. I would suggest the rather weedy response of re-tweeting about Facebook likes which can be purchased for £ 120 per 10 000 from thesocialguys.co.uk is a sign that we have not yet come up with a winning strategy.

I know you get a lot of likes on this forum by, in written form, wearily shaking your hand and bemoaning how lame Rovers are, but it's a slightly odd thing for a Rovers "fan" to do, isn't it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bert tann said:

You mean the 1950's ?

Ah, but what a manager Rovers had then eh Rich ?

Clough, Ferguson & Shankly all rolled into one with just a touch of the Arsene although we won't go into that.

Up at post 11199 RumRed has a photo of Stephen Lansdown and in it I have to say he looks just like a farmer I used to buy gallons of cider from goodness knows how many years ago. This is not intended to be disrespectful. In fact I wonder how many other fans thought something similar when they saw that photo. A typical West Countryman - one of your own you might say - and certainly not the stereotypical image of a grey faceless businessman.

I thought it was rather nice.

On the other hand Rovers now have a non-Bristolian owner for the first time in our history and we must work out how we are going to adapt to this situation and compete with Bristol City in a way which will inspire our fans and attract neutrals to our cause. I would suggest the rather weedy response of re-tweeting about Facebook likes which can be purchased for £ 120 per 10 000 from thesocialguys.co.uk is a sign that we have not yet come up with a winning strategy.

Stop being so bloody reasonable. The internet wasn't invented for such behaviour and it gives people entirely the wrong idea about the Blue Few.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

brfc.PNG

BRFC2.PNG

BCFC.PNG

bcfc2.PNG

Well found. 

I remember looking not so long back and seeing that we were winning by about 5k, it was something like 60k plays 55k. No doubt about it, both pages have been buying likes. 

2,646 people in Myanmar like Bristol Rovers. Hahahahaha. 

Edited by Fordy62
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, cynic said:

Its nice that you guys can come on here and actually have a chat without being abused and banned after two minutes.

Perhaps that goes a small way to explain why Bert has the laconic view that he has of his own club - its a pointer to the culture of your club.

I`ve always put that down to a lack of self worth which breeds a sense of insecurity and paranoia. I`m no psychiatrist but I`m sure that`s what it is.

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Their owner has retweeted something about them having more Facebook 'likes'. Imagine Lansdown doing that, it simply wouldn't happen. Different league of professionalism and class.

As @Tomarse alluded to, it's not inconceivable they purchased likes. I wonder if they have..

image.png

Have you seen the Twitter exchanges between the clubs after this one was posted? It's classic stuff!

I did find it suspicious that their likes had more than doubled in a few months but didnt say anything as it wasnt really important. But now this shows them up for how desperate they are to find straws to clutch at against us. Just a shame that we had to stoop to their level in response really because we've nothing to prove. The facts speak for themelves.

I think the UK figures of 45k for us and 32k for them is an accurate reflection of the fanbase division in Bristol.

1 minute ago, Kim_il_sung said:

I did find it suspicious that their likes had more than doubled in a few months but didnt say anything as it wasnt really important. But now this shows them up for how desperate they are to find straws to clutch at against us. Just a shame that we had to stoop to their level in response really because we've nothing to prove. The facts speak for themelves.

I think the UK figures of 45k for us and 32k for them is an accurate reflection of the fanbase division in Bristol.

I notice none of the `likes` were from Pyongyang Kim. Are your loyal subjects not listening to the great leader these days?

Another purge and programme of re-education is required perhaps. 

5 hours ago, richwwtk said:

1 hour ago, Smaller than a flea said:

I know you get a lot of likes on this forum by, in written form, wearily shaking your hand and bemoaning how lame Rovers are, but it's a slightly odd thing for a Rovers "fan" to do, isn't it?

It is unconventional but worthwhile if it draws attention to the absurdity which remains at Rovers despite the regime change.

I make no apology for challenging the wisdom of our President re-tweeting the boast about Facebook likes.

In February, after years of watching Nicholas stumble from crisis to crisis, all of us believed the new owners would tighten up our defences and then launch an attacking strategy.

But six months on and we are still scoring own goals 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, bert tann said:

It is unconventional but worthwhile if it draws attention to the absurdity which remains at Rovers despite the regime change.

I make no apology for challenging the wisdom of our President re-tweeting the boast about Facebook likes.

In February, after years of watching Nicholas stumble from crisis to crisis, all of us believed the new owners would tighten up our defences and then launch an attacking strategy.

Well, since we're playing Cardiff on Thursday, I expect you'll be standing in the away section telling everyone how Matty Taylor is never going to cut it in League 1.  I'm sure they'll also all agree with you.

16 minutes ago, cynic said:

Are you really smaller than a flea ?

His brain certainly is. Imagine, going on a rival's forum, and attacking one of your own who is clearly well thought of, imaginitive, witty and entertaining. Obviously doing this will prove........................will prove........ ..... umm........................ no, I give in.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Smaller than a flea said:

Well, since we're playing Cardiff on Thursday, I expect you'll be standing in the away section telling everyone how Matty Taylor is never going to cut it in League 1.  I'm sure they'll also all agree with you.

That would not serve any purpose.

But interestingly there was a poster on here last season who is either involved in scouting himself or knows a professional scout and his opinion was that Matty would make it in league 1 but probably not get much higher. That was just one person's opinion but as far as I recall it was debated respectfully and he was not chastised for giving a relatively positive assessment of a Rovers player. We all hope our manager can continue to improve our players so they are capable of playing at a higher level and that, in my opinion, is one of the strongest reasons for bringing in better quality players because working alongside better quality players undoubtedly helps to improve the technique and tactical awareness of existing players. Which makes it even more ludicrous that many Rovers fans, in their misplaced loyalty, are celebrating the fact that so few new players have been brought in and kidding themselves that "this is what Darrell wants". 

But we shouldn't be discussing the Rovers team on a City forum we'll get kicked off if we're not careful :whistle:     

• Like 14

5 minutes ago, bert tann said:

But interestingly there was a poster on here last season who is either involved in scouting himself or knows a professional scout and his opinion was that Matty would make it in league 1 but probably not get much higher. That was just one person's opinion but as far as I recall it was debated respectfully and he was not chastised for giving a relatively positive assessment of a Rovers player. We all hope our manager can continue to improve our players so they are capable of playing at a higher level and that, in my opinion, is one of the strongest reasons for bringing in better quality players because working alongside better quality players undoubtedly helps to improve the technique and tactical awareness of existing players. Which makes it even more ludicrous that many Rovers fans, in their misplaced loyalty, are celebrating the fact that so few new players have been brought in and kidding themselves that "this is what Darrell wants". 

But we shouldn't be discussing the Rovers team on a City forum we'll get kicked off if we're not careful :whistle:     

I like the cut of your jib BT..have a like on me.

1 hour ago, bert tann said:

Good on you BT, I've taken the mick but usually just in a 'head to head' comparison (probably a bit biased though).

My lot a few generations ago held season tickets to both teams and just supported sport in Bristol (had to be careful how I worded that)

I may have laughed at non league etc etc but more than anything I don't want another foreign owner to ruin another another English club over a land grab.

Good luck and just don't stop asking questions.

5 hours ago, bert tann said:

I always thought you were a spoof gashead! Well I never.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

image.png