IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

So no other City fans have mates who follow the Gas?

If that is what you're saying then that's a very strange and one eyed comment.

Sorry, what I found strange about your comment was that you had a bigger dislike for Swindon and Cardiff than Rovers, personally I feel totally indifferent towards the two of them whereas Rovers, apart from being totally Reprehensible are also   pathological liars

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

My understanding was that City have never lost to a non league side in an official competitive first team game. The Gas on the other hand must be close to double figures now (not including defeats when they were non league themselves).

No; those three defeats were in the FA Cup. The biggest upset was a 3-0 defeat home to Crewe (1910-11). The others were a one goal margin away to Brentford 1-2 (1905-06) and Reading 0-1 (1900-01).

So yes, we have lost to non Leaguers in the FA Cup, but unlike our lesser bretheren, not for 105 years (and counting). :clapping:

Edited by 22A

4 hours ago, harrys said:

What a very strange comment, you are surely on your own there

Tbh I have a bigger dislike for Swindle than the Sags as find their club irrelevant but the Sags delusion of grandeur, constant embarrassments and so so on are so hilarious that this thread needs to be open for as long as its possible :) 

Its a fantastic thread

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, harrys said:

Sorry, what I found strange about your comment was that you had a bigger dislike for Swindon and Cardiff than Rovers, personally I feel totally indifferent towards the two of them whereas Rovers, apart from being totally Reprehensible are also   pathological liars

As I posted earlier in this thread, each to their own.

I have solid, historical reasons for greatly disliking Swindon and Cardiff but no historical or current reasons for feeling the same towards the Gas.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

As I posted earlier in this thread, each to their own.

I have solid, historical reasons for greatly disliking Swindon and Cardiff but no historical or current reasons for feeling the same towards the Gas.

Swindon is such an irrelevant club and Town that I feel it's impossible to have any hatred for them, maybe it's just because I can remember the fun days we had on the Town End back in the 70's

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Tbh I have a bigger dislike for Swindle than the Sags as find their club irrelevant but the Sags delusion of grandeur, constant embarrassments and so so on are so hilarious that this thread needs to be open for as long as its possible :) 

Its a fantastic thread

It's a funny thing with the gAss, half the time I don't know (or really care) how they've got on. It's usually a City mate on the wind up or a gAss mate crowing . That said although I hate Swindon slightly more than I hate Cardiff I REALLY hate that delusional bunch of self aggrandising, bullshitting bunch of no marks in the clown outfits, always will. 

PS: I also like this thread, comedy Gold :yes:

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, harrys said:

Swindon is such an irrelevant club and Town that I feel it's impossible to have any hatred for them, maybe it's just because I can remember the fun days we had on the Town End back in the 70's

If you were there back in the 70s then youll know just how much trouble there was between fans, made worse by the violence dished out by the Wiltshire Police. What a bunch of thugs they were.

I and a load of lads went to the County Ground  every time we played there and "took" the Town End many times but never able to hold it for long. That's where I got such a kicking I ended up in hospital with badly bruised ribs and a fracture.

I hasten to add that I was a teenager back then and getting into punch ups was part of the "fun". 

Thankfully I grew out of that pretty quickly.

25 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If you were there back in the 70s then youll know just how much trouble there was between fans, made worse by the violence dished out by the Wiltshire Police. What a bunch of thugs they were.

I and a load of lads went to the County Ground  every time we played there and "took" the Town End many times but never able to hold it for long. That's where I got such a kicking I ended up in hospital with badly bruised ribs and a fracture.

I hasten to add that I was a teenager back then and getting into punch ups was part of the "fun". 

My memory is slightly different to yours. We first went to Swindon in '69, As far as I am aware from then until the segregation came in, when we "took" the Town end, it STAYED "took" !:cool:

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

My memory is slightly different to yours. We first went to Swindon in '69, As far as I am aware from then until the segregation came in, when we "took" the Town end, it STAYED "took" !:cool:

It was around 45 years ago Slarti. Age can play tricks with yer memory. I don't remember ever holding the Town End but that doesn't mean City didn't it do.

10 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Exactly as I remember it even when they had Millwall helping them out

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was around 45 years ago Slarti. Age can play tricks with yer memory. I don't remember ever holding the Town End but that doesn't mean City didn't it do.

Not saying THEY weren't in there, but once in we NEVER got booted out!. I'm sure a few of on the "front line" (as your good self ) got a booting themselves !

1 hour ago, Sergio Georgini said:

I'll just leave this here..

[IMG][IMG]

I had a ten pound bet to charity that City would have a higher average away following than Rovers with a fellow City fan on this forum (name escapes me). He might as well make the donation in time for Christmas, no chance of them overhauling us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

God, I'd forgotten THAT !

72 - 73 season? Home to Millwall in August and a bit of trouble.

Swindon away in September where we expected trouble and Millwall turned up to help Swindon against us.

October away to Oxford and there were some Millwall & Swindon fans there to help Oxford out as we had run ins with them for a few years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 22A said:

72 - 73 season? Home to Millwall in August and a bit of trouble.

Swindon away in September where we expected trouble and Millwall turned up to help Swindon against us.

October away to Oxford and there were some Millwall & Swindon fans there to help Oxford out as we had run ins with them for a few years.

HaHa beat me to it, can't remember Oxford away but I can certainly remember a few Oxford on the East End in one game in the early 70's

4 minutes ago, harrys said:

HaHa beat me to it, can't remember Oxford away but I can certainly remember a few Oxford on the East End in one game in the early 70's

Yes, they were in there and would probably stayed undetected EXCEPT a couple of them paniced and ran for the Dolman/ EE exit ! What a mistake-a-to make-a. The lucky ones scaled the gates, the unlucky ones never made it that far!      sigh... different times....different life. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, they were in there and would probably stayed undetected EXCEPT a couple of them paniced and ran for the Dolman/ EE exit ! What a mistake-a-to make-a. The lucky ones scaled the gates, the unlucky ones never made it that far!      sigh... different times....different life. 

been told it was 68....500 oxford on the east end many in yellow hard hats?

This thread has turned into a trip down memory lane for some of us.

Now if there ever trouble between football fans I tend to take a dim view of it before I remember that I was exactly the same back in the old days.

As Clint Eastwood said in The Unforgiven " I ain't like that no more" - thankfully.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Those bowls away fixtures sound a bit naughty 

I'd stick to football from now on

Ps You sure the bruised ribs didn't happen in the managers office at AG ?

:boxing:

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, harrys said:

Think we played Millwall the week before at AG where there was plenty of trouble hence them turning up at Swindon looking for revenge, I'd say it was '72 or '73

Yep, checking the records it was 72/73 and it appears we lost on the pitch but very much the victors off it. I thought it was earlier than that but that was the back-to-back Millwall home/Swindon away fixtures.

Remember Millwall joining in at AG when we were singing 'If you're all going to Swindon'. Unbelievably though they did. So it was City on the Town End, small group of very game Millwall in the corner and Swindon dispersed around their Grandstand. 

Two special trains that day. We were on the first and broke down the gates to their open end. Remember reading their evening paper on the way back headlining rioting Bristol City fans in the town centre which, I assume were those from the second train. 

Mad days. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Those bowls away fixtures sound a bit naughty 

I'd stick to football from now on

:boxing:

I've seen blokes rip their hats off and stamp on them....but usually their anger is verbal and channeled at their team mates .

You get called a "jammy bastard" when you play a clever shot.....:whistle:

Think it was season of 68/9, Sat April 12th 69, beat them 2-0. Next meeting at AG was a tuesday. There were definitely some wearing yellow hard hats. That was the prelude to some city fans wearing red hard hats at Eastville when we took the Tote end in a night match winning 5-0, If I remember correctly. No doubt a stato can confirm the matches and scores. I remember one match losing by 4 goals to Oxford around those years, just looked it up, (Sat 10th Oct), then I was ejected by a copper known by us as Piggy, just because I'd smacked an Oxford fan in the side of the head for cheering a goal. 

Anyway, back on topic. How long before the official announcements on the UWE South Glos Bowl? 

Perhaps they'll have a feasibility study on when best to announce some news.

In My opinion, if the Merchant Venturers are doing their best to scupper this plan and return ownership of the Rugby Ground back to the rightful owners, then that will be the best thing they've ever done for the city of Bristol. And Rovers can **** off to Yate and engine common, where all the commoners go.

• Like 2