IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

I have solid, historical reasons for greatly disliking Swindon and Cardiff 

This is a thread about r****s. Do try and keep up. 

Please feel free to start your own threads on those other teams if you wish.

Your diluting this one with your agenda. 

Kindly move along 

Stevo

Edited by WayOutWest
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, harrys said:

Think we played Millwall the week before at AG where there was plenty of trouble hence them turning up at Swindon looking for revenge, I'd say it was '72 or '73

That was fun!

We ran them out the East End in the far corner where the only escape was to climb the fence with plenty more city boys waiting for them to drop down from the fence.

I can still see the Millwall faces as they thought it would be an easy day...:laugh:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Yes, they were in there and would probably stayed undetected EXCEPT a couple of them paniced and ran for the Dolman/ EE exit ! What a mistake-a-to make-a. The lucky ones scaled the gates, the unlucky ones never made it that far!      sigh... different times....different life. 

How would you rate the EE with regard to difficulty for other fans to take it, back in the day? I remember reading in a book that Arsenal fans got a nasty surprise, and came out a lot quicker than they went in.

From memory, the EE had a tight, compact feeling, which created an intimidating environment.

6 minutes ago, In the Net said:

How would you rate the EE with regard to difficulty for other fans to take it, back in the day? I remember reading in a book that Arsenal fans got a nasty surprise, and came out a lot quicker than they went in.

From memory, the EE had a tight, compact feeling, which created an intimidating environment.

I've seen many fans beat hasty retreats,Chelsea,Spurs,Arsenal,even your mob,West Ham couldn't be shifted on one occasion but even they failed a couple of times,oh and Man Utd in the days of the red army.

17 minutes ago, In the Net said:

Well Netty, If you got in, in fair numbers we couldn't shift you, just push you to the Dolman  end. It was a "sealed unit" once in. The only way out was over the gate in the corner or on the pitch, remember in the 70's Florist and WBA chose THAT option !:shifty:

edit....oh, and Sunderland.

Edited by slartibartfast

17 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

My favourite was the meme that had Messi, Suarez & Neymar kitted up in Rovers shirts. 

In reality it was a reject from Port Vale, an aging defender from Plymouth and some doughnut from Peterborough. 

But they're coming for us apparently.

Your comment about Neymar reminded me about this... 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=761259334028186&id=250166621804129

Warning: NSFW! 

13 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Well Netty, If you got in, in fair numbers we couldn't shift you, just push you to the Dolman  end. It was a "sealed unit" once in. The only way out was over the gate in the corner or on the pitch, remember in the 70's Florist and WBA chose THAT option !:shifty:

edit....oh, and Sunderland.

That Sunderland game was my first (if it was the 4-3) , remember seeing City run on from the side and having a pop at them as they went up to their lot in the open end, across the pitch. Also remember Chelsea throwing themselves over the fence by the Williams enclosure to try and get away. 

Spurs, as a teenager I walked in the EE and was asked the time, looked up to see hundreds of Spurs. Must admit I was a bit twitchy as even then I knew that old trick. They did hang around a while but then , they had nowhere to go.

32 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

That Sunderland game was my first (if it was the 4-3) , remember seeing City run on from the side and having a pop at them as they went up to their lot in the open end, across the pitch. Also remember Chelsea throwing themselves over the fence by the Williams enclosure to try and get away. 

Spurs, as a teenager I walked in the EE and was asked the time, looked up to see hundreds of Spurs. Must admit I was a bit twitchy as even then I knew that old trick. They did hang around a while but then , they had nowhere to go.

Remember the Chelsea fans screaming to be let out,a steward was most helpful and let them into the enclosure,where there was about 50 of us standing,oops........

• Like 2

15 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I had a ten pound bet to charity that City would have a higher average away following than Rovers with a fellow City fan on this forum (name escapes me). He might as well make the donation in time for Christmas, no chance of them overhauling us.

I notice Fleetwood Town are bottom , we are n't going to make any money from their away  support in the Cup .

1 hour ago, In the Net said:

Birmingham took the absolute piss sometime in the late 60's arrived early and stayed in the centre pen. Somewhat bizarrely, I recall Huddersfield at a lesser scale doing the same (aided, or not, by some of your lot). From my recollection that was about it. Maybe Cardiff hung around once in that centre pen  as well. 

Early 70's pre-segregation groups of away fans that managed to stay either were in the area above the pathway at the rear of the stand or in the corner and rarely strayed. 

Could write a book on events during that period. Come to think of it..... what happened to that?

See higher up in the thread mention of 'Piggy' et al. Remember the Police Superintendent on the Park End 'divide' who was an absolute psycho. Wonder what happened to all the lads on that terrace? Remember we lost a couple at the time in a horrendous car crash. 

The worst violence by far though was the infamous Millwall visit in the early 80's. That was just mayhem.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2016 at 22:58, bert tann said:

It was another poster who said that the project had been touted around London but offers of finance had not been forthcoming. However the recent resignation from the board of the "expert" brought in to oversee the financing of the project does lend credence to his suggestion.

''Twas I Bert, several times told by those inside the tent (no pun intended) and by associates in the City who laughed 'El Presidenté' out of the square mile. 

On 06/12/2016 at 08:22, Kid in the Riot said:

Thanks, that fills in the gaps nicely with what I'd heard. The 'Dick Whittington goes to London' story is certainly true. We'll just have to see how much more of Wally's reign becomes fairytale!

Great Panto analogy and especially relevant for this time of year....I would wager that the proverbial will hit the fan when Dopey walks, as the corner he's backing himself into (rightly so I believe) will see no materialisation of any transfer funds of note....

Dopey knows he's been sold a pup; Leeds were calling and he would have stood to make a tidy sum even if he lasted to the ink getting dry on the contract. 

• Like 1

After their humiliating FA Cup exit to Barrow, it's great to see the Gas get back on track with a cup win over a club more to their level.

OK, they did let the opposition equalise twice, but this is the mighty Slimbridge we are talking about here!

And there are even some video highlights (note that due to an injury crisis, Slimbridge did have to put a flamingo on the bench)*:

*OK, I may have made this bit up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, robintherobin said:

After their humiliating FA Cup exit to Barrow, it's great to see the Gas get back on track with a cup win over a club more to their level.

OK, they did let the opposition equalise twice, but this is the mighty Slimbridge we are talking about here!

And there are even some video highlights (note that due to an injury crisis, Slimbridge did have to put a flamingo on the bench)*:

Sounds like the classic vent act in talking to the puppet in the suitcase!! Everything they do is classy!

18 minutes ago, robintherobin said:

2 commentators needed to capture all the action

10 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

In other news, just seen on Facebook that there is a big rovers giveaway for Christmas and one lucky person can win a free... wait for it... mitre football!!!!

(All of 8 quids worth)

I thought you were gonna say a season ticket. The second prize would be 2 season tickets! ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Birmingham took the absolute piss sometime in the late 60's arrived early and stayed in the centre pen. Somewhat bizarrely, I recall Huddersfield at a lesser scale doing the same (aided, or not, by some of your lot). From my recollection that was about it. Maybe Cardiff hung around once in that centre pen  as well. 

Early 70's pre-segregation groups of away fans that managed to stay either were in the area above the pathway at the rear of the stand or in the corner and rarely strayed. 

Could write a book on events during that period. Come to think of it..... what happened to that?

See higher up in the thread mention of 'Piggy' et al. Remember the Police Superintendent on the Park End 'divide' who was an absolute psycho. Wonder what happened to all the lads on that terrace? Remember we lost a couple at the time in a horrendous car crash. 

The worst violence by far though was the infamous Millwall visit in the early 80's. That was just mayhem.

I think Brum was 71/72ish, couldn't move them, think they won 1-0 with a very young Trevor Francis goal, Pompey also immovable round about the same time, no-one else that I can remember came on  the EE and stayed in such large numbers as those two