IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

5 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

So, to sum up, City are better supported than Rovers because it's easier to get a bus to Ashton? From places like Fishponds?

Yeah, obviously you can get about 50 people on a bus....

...most Caravans are only 6 berth.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Bizzarely, I think Rovers biggest hope of being 'top dog' in this aspect won't lie in any new stadium (which btw I will believe when I'm sat in it), but more in people turning their backs on the ridiculous pricing and increasingly sterile atmosphere in the top two divisions, and look for a cheaper/more nostalgic way to watch football.

But, wouldn't that imply that Rovers would never achieve more than their current table position, to stay out of the top 2 divisions?

I agree with Miah Dennehy that the new stadium idea has become a panacea and no matter what standard of ground we play at Rovers need to clearly differentiate ourselves from City. We should offer an attractive alternative which appeals to fans and potential fans looking for something different whether it be less sterility, greater affordability and a link to the  "nostalgia factor" which Miah talks about or more likely a distinctive community involvement which perhaps has more potential. So far the new owners have only come up with unimaginative hot air as typified by the training ground proposal which is already looking quite dodgy. The chairman is talking "state of the art", the manager is talking "state of the art" but Wael's father and brothers must be thinking " borrowing millions of pounds for a club house in a field, how did we get ourselves in such a state ?". If young Clarke had not managed to achieve a respectable league position for the team we should be in a full blown crisis by now.

But you City lot make me despair, of course there aren't so many Rovers fans out and about on the streets these days. 

Didn't you know there is a Walloon festival going on in Belgium ?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Are you Alastair Campbell?

To sum up, that is not what I wrote at all.

No, you also dipped into your imagination with some other stuff - apparently, you missed out on a "generation" while in Bath. You were in Bath 10 years I think, while a "generation" is generally agreed to be 25 years. In those 10 years, you were promoted - generally an opportunity to gain or regain fans - and then relegated - generally a good way of losing support. So you "missed out" on a fairly neutral experience there, I'd say.

Unless we buy into the Rovers fantasy of loyal support (which if true back then, would have coped easily with going from East Bristol to Eastville, to going from East Bristol to west Bath. A difference of how many miles?)

Rovers had lost "generations" of support long before leaving Eastville, as your final attendance there suggests (about as many of you then as there were Eastenders in the East End for the East End's last game in 2014). In some ways, leaving Eastville - a ground too big for you - and moving to an equally sh1t mess of a place, but a more fitting capacity for you back then, Trumpton, was a good thing, for your club. After all, you owned neither of them.

In my view, City are better supported because of two poor football clubs (or sh1t clubs, let's be plain), Rovers are clearly, evidently poorer than City. Or more sh1t. The facts, the stats and the old league tables show us who is more sh1t, not my imagination. 

And the irony of you lot referring to us as "the sh1t"! It is irony, right - or have I imagined that?

Edited by Jack Dawe
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

No, you also dipped into your imagination with some other stuff - apparently, you missed out on a "generation" while in Bath. You were in Bath 10 years I think, while a "generation" is generally agreed to be 25 years. In those 10 years, you were promoted - generally an opportunity to gain or regain fans - and then relegated - generally a good way of losing support. So you "missed out" on a fairly neutral experience there, I'd say.

Unless we buy into the Rovers fantasy of loyal support (which if true back then, would have coped easily with going from East Bristol to Eastville, to going from East Bristol to west Bath. A difference of how many miles?)

Rovers had lost "generations" of support long before leaving Eastville, as your final attendance there suggests (about as many of you then as there were Eastenders in the East End for the East End's last game in 2014). In some ways, leaving Eastville - a ground too big for you - and moving to an equally sh1t mess of a place, but a more fitting capacity for you back then, Trumpton, was a good thing, for your club. After all, you owned neither of them.

In my view, City are better supported because of two poor football clubs (or sh1t clubs, let's be plain), Rovers are clearly, evidently poorer than City. Or more sh1t. The facts, the stats and the old league tables show us who is more sh1t, not my imagination. 

And the irony of you lot referring to us as "the sh1t"! It is irony, right - or have I imagined that?

I think there are lots of different reasons why people choose a team in a two team city, one team being better than the other being such a bleedin' obvious one I didn't think it needed pointing out! However, if you think that is the sole reason, then we will have to agree to differ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I was brought up in Fishponds which was solidly Gas when I was there, and have pretty much lived in St.George/Hanham most of my adult life, and it's fair to say there has always been a fairly even split in those two areas, I have discussed this with a few City mates brought up in the area, and the general concensus as that while Eastville may have been geographically closer, bus routes made it easier to get to Ashton. I do think it's a fair point that if you asked the entire population of Bristol to express a preference, it may come out evenish, but what really matters of course is getting people to games, which- certainly in my lifetime- City have always had the upper hand in,

I think we did miss out on a whole generation while we were in Bath, and that has certainly changed the traditional north/south split for the foreseeable future (especially while you remain in higher divisions). Bizzarely, I think Rovers biggest hope of being 'top dog' in this aspect won't lie in any new stadium (which btw I will believe when I'm sat in it), but more in people turning their backs on the ridiculous pricing and increasingly sterile atmosphere in the top two divisions, and look for a cheaper/more nostalgic way to watch football.

Anyway, anyone walking down my lane in a City shirt runs a very real risk of me shouting out 'Sheeethead' from the safety of my living room :)

Thanks for confirming the Tinpot debate.

Mangotsfield offer this and they are on a good bus route, plus they are managed by an Ex-Rovers legend from the glory glory 2nd of May days (not the 2001 Wycombe regelation to the basement but the other one). UTGRTYDKTFFTCGoodnightIrene.

Edited by Cheesleysmate
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I think there are lots of different reasons why people choose a team in a two team city, one team being better than the other being such a bleedin' obvious one I didn't think it needed pointing out! However, if you think that is the sole reason, then we will have to agree to differ.

I think the reason most people support one team rather than the other is down to family. My old man was city as was his old man. My grandmother on my mum's side was gas but my dad wouldn't have her brainwashing my brother and I. Now my son and my brother's son are also city and my son regularly informs me that 'Rovers are rubbish'. 

I fully expect in 30 years time when I'm in my 60s and my first grandkids have arrived, they'll also be educated by my son. Being a City fan is in the DNA I think.

32 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I think the reason most people support one team rather than the other is down to family. My old man was city as was his old man. My grandmother on my mum's side was gas but my dad wouldn't have her brainwashing my brother and I. Now my son and my brother's son are also city and my son regularly informs me that 'Rovers are rubbish'. 

I fully expect in 30 years time when I'm in my 60s and my first grandkids have arrived, they'll also be educated by my son. Being a City fan is in the DNA I think.

My old man was City and my neighbours were City. City were top flight so it was a no brainer for me. My uncles were Gas. My cousins are Gas headbangers, I have one other cousin who is a City headbanger and we all regularly kick f*** out of each other due to mutual hatred of our chosen clubs. Barmy I know, but embarrassing when half your family passionately support that blue garbage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

My old man was City and my neighbours were City. City were top flight so it was a no brainer for me. My uncles were Gas. My cousins are Gas headbangers, I have one other cousin who is a City headbanger and we all regularly kick f*** out of each other due to mutual hatred of our chosen clubs. Barmy I know, but embarrassing when half your family passionately support that blue garbage.

Christmas round your gaff must be enlightening! ;)

8 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Christmas round your gaff must be enlightening! ;)

Yeah. Boxing Day was legendary. Fighting with bricks in the front garden, then didn't even speak for 10 years. Friends of family were also Gas. Turned up at Christmas and what started off as 'bants' turned sour as it always does with those blue victims. They dished it out but naturally couldn't take it back, turned nasty and threw the first punch. Carnage ensued. They are well known Rovers nutters these days and I saw one of them start in a pub a few years back and the whole place was going to go until I took him to one side and talked about the good old days when we kicked the crap out of each other. Calmed it right down. Amazingly we didn't have a scrap that day. 

Edited by Cheesleysmate

Was driving through Gainsborough Sq in Lockleaze the other day,there was a group of young lads playing football,3 had city shirts on and 1 had a r***** shirt on.so that means that Lockleaze is 75/25 percent City ? I'm using gas logic here mind,

• Like 1

I've only skimmed through the most recent posts, but it seems that ease of  bus travel is the key to Rover's future. I think the reason no new ground is on the horizon is because Wael has read the article below and it has confused his thinking 

http://m.bristolpost.co.uk/39-things-bristol-bus-passengers-know/story-29207397-detail/story.html

1 hour ago, NOTBLUE said:

Was driving through Gainsborough Sq in Lockleaze the other day,there was a group of young lads playing football,3 had city shirts on and 1 had a r***** shirt on.so that means that Lockleaze is 75/25 percent City ? I'm using gas logic here mind,

Not by gas maths, that's 50/50 by their reckoning! One of them 'gert sheeds' was really a rovers fan but was forced to wear red by city fans in the away end making it 75% gas, obviously! :blink:

As for the 'bus' argument, is that why no bugger turned up for their 'we're not non league anymore' celebration? :fear:

Edited by 8menhadadream
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I was brought up in Fishponds which was solidly Gas when I was there, and have pretty much lived in St.George/Hanham most of my adult life, and it's fair to say there has always been a fairly even split in those two areas, I have discussed this with a few City mates brought up in the area, and the general concensus as that while Eastville may have been geographically closer, bus routes made it easier to get to Ashton. I do think it's a fair point that if you asked the entire population of Bristol to express a preference, it may come out evenish, but what really matters of course is getting people to games, which- certainly in my lifetime- City have always had the upper hand in,

I think we did miss out on a whole generation while we were in Bath, and that has certainly changed the traditional north/south split for the foreseeable future (especially while you remain in higher divisions). Bizzarely, I think Rovers biggest hope of being 'top dog' in this aspect won't lie in any new stadium (which btw I will believe when I'm sat in it), but more in people turning their backs on the ridiculous pricing and increasingly sterile atmosphere in the top two divisions, and look for a cheaper/more nostalgic way to watch football.

Anyway, anyone walking down my lane in a City shirt runs a very real risk of me shouting out 'Sheeethead' from the safety of my living room :)

That's a pretty fair post chief....there seem to be quite a few old school Gas who would always pledge allegiance to the quarters but rarely turn up to games. My dear old Dad, sadly no longer with us, grew up in Knowle, was as blue as they come (as was his Dad and his grandad) and was loyal as they come until you left Eastville and went to Twerton. I remember him saying 'I'm not paying that much to watch games in that shed' as I think it was £18 to get into the stand at Bath City's ground back then?

So I think you're right, moving to Bath lost you a lot of 'supporters' but not 'fans' - and therein lies the difference, a supporter goes to games but a fan will pledge allegiance if questioned....

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

The best part is that while waiting for my bus towards AG t'other day I looked at the list of busses it had going to each stadium.

There was 1/2 going to AG, and about 6 that go to the Mem.

So as with most other gas claims, it is utter nonsense.

In fact there are 9, that go to their dump

https://www.firstgroup.com/uploads/node_images/J12497 Bristol Rovers leaflet AW web.pdf

51 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

when I was a kid I use to catch the no 19 bus from southville up to fishponds to see my mates ,even though the bus went right past the rovers ground I never once saw any gasheads on that bus

5 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

even though my three nephews live right next door to the memorial ground they made it pretty clear there was no way they would step foot in that sh**thole .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TinMan's left peg said:

The idea that the Rovers can be successful by catering for fans looking for "nostalgia" seems a bit odd. We've been in our home for over 100 years where as they've been at the rugby stadium for about 15 years. 

"Nostalgia" - as in getting soaking wet standing on the terraces, wading through urine to use bogs that don't flush, queueing for 20 minutes to buy a burnt pasty, listening to a tannoy system that is either uninteligable or deafens you, etc etc. :ph34r:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, In the Net said:

"Nostalgia" - as in getting soaking wet standing on the terraces, wading through urine to use bogs that don't flush, queueing for 20 minutes to buy a burnt pasty, listening to a tannoy system that is either uninteligable or deafens you, etc etc. :ph34r:

Watching from a Gazebo, loss of memory post 1990.

Edited by Cheesleysmate
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

The best part is that while waiting for my bus towards AG t'other day I looked at the list of busses it had going to each stadium.

There was 1/2 going to AG, and about 6 that go to the Mem.

So as with most other gas claims, it is utter nonsense.

**** me, there's nothing like taking a look at a post , interpreting it in whichever way you fancy it- and then running off in the other direction with it.

I said that while chatting with mates - and were I live I would say support is fairly evenly split- that a few of the City ones ended up following City because travellingon a bus there was easier than Eastville.. There are all sorts of reasons why people follow football teams, and all sorts of factors can have an effect on it. Success, travel, family , whatever it maybe, something will influence an individuals choice.

So, as with most other claims that claim to be gas claims, your claim is utter nonsense :)

14 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

**** me, there's nothing like taking a look at a post , interpreting it in whichever way you fancy it- and then running off in the other direction with it.

I said that while chatting with mates - and were I live I would say support is fairly evenly split- that a few of the City ones ended up following City because travellingon a bus there was easier than Eastville.. There are all sorts of reasons why people follow football teams, and all sorts of factors can have an effect on it. Success, travel, family , whatever it maybe, something will influence an individuals choice.

So, as with most other claims that claim to be gas claims, your claim is utter nonsense :)

Of course there's a variety of reasons why people support different clubs- I support City because my Dad was an Arsenal fan, not Spurs (there's a little more to it than that, me being the first Bristolian of the family, but that's the crux of it). But because of the bus routes seems like a convenient excuse to not make the effort to watch a steaming pile of crap when there is a polished turd in the same city.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Take no notice MD, growing up in KW there was no way to get to AG by public transport it was a walk down  over the  Novers in all weathers yet you could get to Eastville on a bus that travelled through the heart of KW (number 10 I think) and I know someone who decided to follow Rovers for exactly that reason, (he was an oddball mind) that bus was dead handy for the Sunday market at Eastville though

i think there is one other factor  which has worked against the rovers for at least most of the last 40 years. migration to bristol of people who want to watch football like me. i came in 1973 the year of smash and grab but i chose city for better players, better facilities and better opposition .

since then only for a couple of years have they had a better team and never the better ground the gap on all of this is getting greater with their owner looking like  no billionaire  - attracting newcomers to bristol to the rovers rather than city will be really hard unless their masochists

• Like 2