IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

7 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Anyway, happy new year to everyone, and just to make you feel really old, it was 30 years ago today that one of the most one side derbies I have ever been to ever took place. You absolutely battered us for 89 minutes :) 

That game was the start of the horrendous run against the blue few that lasted until Louie Donowa's 89th minute effort on 5th March 1991. I was at both games.

I remember the 1987 game well. We absolutely battered the Sags, battered them. A side full of non league and Mangadoo rejects. They looked like relegation fodder but somehow they managed to fluke a win and fluke avoiding relegation that season. Rovers had luck in bucket loads for well over a decade and punched far above their weight. They should have been in the 4th Division but with a load of Gas luck ended up as 3rd Division Champions. My fondest memory of 1987 was those rectangle hats in abundance. I have still got one in the loft.

Was stood in the East End on the night of 5th March 1991. Thought "Here we go again" especially when the squatters got a penalty. Started to leave the ground and just as I was about to exit the East End Donowa scored. It should have sparked a pitch invasion but it was so late in the game most people were just dumb struck that we had actually won. Weird feeling but the voodoo had been broken and after that we regularly put our foot on the Gas.

Edited by Cheesleysmate
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Was stood in the East End on the night of 5th March 1991. Thought "Here we go again" especially when the squatters got a penalty. Started to leave the ground and just as I was about to exit the East End Donowa scored. It should have sparked a pitch invasion but it was so late in the game most people were just dumb struck that we had actually won. Weird feeling but the voodoo had been broken and after that we regularly put our foot on the Gas.

Am I right in thinking that we were so busy celebrating, most of us didn't notice that the Gas went straight up the other end and hit the post?

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Am I right in thinking that we were so busy celebrating, most of us didn't notice that the Gas went straight up the other end and hit the post?

I think you might be right. I think me and my mates piled on each other and was giving it a chorus of "Let's go F******* Mental!" as we did regularly in those days.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

That game was the start of the horrendous run against the blue few that lasted until Louie Donowa's 89th minute effort on 5th March 1991. I was at both games.

I remember the 1987 game well. We absolutely battered the Sags, battered them. A side full of non league and Mangadoo rejects. They looked like relegation fodder but somehow they managed to fluke a win and fluke avoiding relegation that season. Rovers had luck in bucket loads for well over a decade and punched far above their weight. They should have been in the 4th Division but with a load of Gas luck ended up as 3rd Division Champions. My fondest memory of 1987 was those rectangle hats in abundance. I have still got one in the loft.

loudest and most partisan anti gas game probably ever-seemed like the whole ground singing at the belters....youtube it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Oh dear!! Rovers were lucky for over a decade!!!   Relax, it's just a sport.

3 minutes ago, S_Y_G said:

Oh dear!! Rovers were lucky for over a decade!!!   Relax, it's just a sport.

I wouldn't call it luck but you were playing in a shit non league ground with a sloping pitch which gave you a slight advantage,a bit like when big clubs play smaller clubs in the fa cup .we only managed to win there once in the league in ten years but didn't have any problem at the memorial ground

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Star of a gunner said:

I wouldn't call it luck but you were playing in a shit non league ground with a sloping pitch which gave you a slight advantage,a bit like when big clubs play smaller clubs in the fa cup .we only managed to win there once in the league in ten years but didn't have any problem at the memorial ground

Apart from the pointless South Glos Cups the only game I can remember the Sags outplaying us was the 1990 game where we simply bottled it and they won. Their keepers were generally MoM every time we played the blue quartered park footballers.

Interesting how there are more and more decent stadia, which are less intimidating and the fig for away wins has gone up for I think the last 7 seasons - that's top 4 leagues.  It's all very well knocking twerton/mem if u r a city fan, and I'd do the same but it's certainly worth extra points for rovers.  I got dragged up to watch cov v mk Dons the other week, 9000 in a 34k stadium, it was practically a neutral match

7 minutes ago, S_Y_G said:

Interesting how there are more and more decent stadia, which are less intimidating and the fig for away wins has gone up for I think the last 7 seasons - that's top 4 leagues.  It's all very well knocking twerton/mem if u r a city fan, and I'd do the same but it's certainly worth extra points for rovers.  I got dragged up to watch cov v mk Dons the other week, 9000 in a 34k stadium, it was practically a neutral match

The Ricoh capacity is 32k. 

I didn't realise your lot had started exaggerating and lying about things on other teams' behalf, as well as your own. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, S_Y_G said:

Agreed. Fans were right on top of things at the Trumpton mud bath. It was like Ronnie Radford at Hereford every week.

13 minutes ago, S_Y_G said:

Difficult one really, I think smaller grounds like the Dell were intimidating for away teams, in the premier, yet Wigan survived ten years in there when often their fans were in the minority.

9 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Agreed. Fans were right on top of things at the Trumpton mud bath. It was like Ronnie Radford at Hereford every week.

That the Rovers' version of it. 

The truth (always very different) was a shutpit dump of a ground that was rarely more than 2/3's full despite a capacity of only 9k 

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

That the Rovers' version of it. 

The truth (always very different) was a shutpit dump of a ground that was rarely more than 2/3's full despite a capacity of only 9k 

Health and Safety. You couldn't get the extra locked out 20,000 in the tent bit!

3 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Health and Safety. You couldn't get the extra locked out 20,000 in the tent bit!

Ah yes. They did used to have a little tent stand there as well didn't they. 

It must be their thing. I can't think of many/any other clubs that have such an affinity with tents. 

On 31/12/2016 at 13:50, 1960maaan said:

Is this true, if so they're both scum of the lowest order. I don't give a shiney shit about them ripping of the squatters , but pretending to be disabled is low even for a gAss.

Surprised to read about that. There is quite a strict criteria for getting disabled tickets. A friend of mine had to produce documentation to show that she was registered as being disabled, plus a current letter from her Dr confirming that she needed a carer to help her attend games.

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Ah yes. They did used to have a little tent stand there as well didn't they. 

It must be their thing. I can't think of many/any other clubs that have such an affinity with tents. 

The only time we had a "tent" at Twerton was when some idiots burnt down the Grandstand, so a temporary stand, with a canvas roof, had to erected on part of the Bristol end terrace to accommodate the displaced fans.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Obviously I have no love for that mob in the quarters, but to say they were lucky for 'well over a decade' is a bit embarrassing...unfortunately Gerry Francis got a squad of limited players to play to a set pattern and they ended up eventually winning the division at our expense.

I'm not sure how you can justify saying they had ten years of 'Gas luck' - but I'm happy to be proved wrong, obviously!

Also, interesting that you were happy to leave early in the 1991 game from the East End in a tense derby game...I thought it was only those from the Dolman who did that?!

41 minutes ago, In the Net said:

The only time we had a "tent" at Twerton was when some idiots burnt down the Grandstand, so a temporary stand, with a canvas roof, had to erected on part of the Bristol end terrace to accommodate the displaced fans.

Very true. What's the excuse at the Mem then..?

• Like 1

The atmosphere for that Louis Donawa game was incredible, the best I've ever experienced at a Derby game, was it the game where loads were locked out, even season ticket holders? Whichever game that was I was one of the ones locked out and hundreds just charged the gates of the Williams and stormed in

7 minutes ago, harrys said:

The atmosphere for that Louis Donawa game was incredible, the best I've ever experienced at a Derby game, was it the game where loads were locked out, even season ticket holders? Whichever game that was I was one of the ones locked out and hundreds just charged the gates of the Williams and stormed in

I was in the Enclosure, and never known such mayhem!

10 minutes ago, harrys said:

thought that was the 96 game h

• Like 1