IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

5 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I remember one of their comebacks used to be that they have never been in Division 4 or bottom of the entire football league. 

"Never been in the first division, never been in the 4th division" I used to get when I was younger.  Like it was some sort of bragging point.  

Yes, I did enjoy having to edit the verbal history book on 2nd May 2001 to "Never been in the first division, errr....".  

There definately were teds there that night, btw ;)

3 hours ago, weepywall said:

I can't believe that new curtains and a lick of paint are newsworthy items

I'm sure I saw it running across the bottom panel on Sky Sports News earlier.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

"Aside from pitch renovations, the club will also improve the parking facilities at the Memorial Stadium as well as some more basic changes, including new curtains and blinds and cleaning the carpets".

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mixed-reaction-bristol-rovers-renovations-50309

I actually thought this was some sort of a joke, how embarrassing printing this... Can't stop laughing at it.

Edited by xerox6060
Spelling
  • Like 2

It makes a change from his hell-raising days. Asked about the seemingly apocryphal story that he had once knocked out a horse in Panama City, Durán makes a clear distinction. “I knocked him down,” Durán says with the credibility of a connoisseur in violent punching. In November 1969, after his 15th pro bout and aged 18, he was offered a bet – $100 and a bottle of whisky if he could flatten a horse with a single punch. Durán says he was reluctant to hurt the animal but, spurred on by a girlfriend and already drunk, he took the bet. The horse went down from a stunning left hook. It got up but Durán’s damaged hand had to be stitched up without anaesthetic. He didn’t care: “The girl was kissing me and I was drinking the whisky I won. I didn’t feel a thing.”

Great story about Roberto Duran - is he a gas head?

• Like 1

On 2017-5-4 at 16:47, Septic Peg said:

Seriously? Jeez. Weird thing is that Sainsbury's contract out their cleaning services so it's some employee of a cleaning firm, not even on Sainsbury's payroll, having to sort that. 

Hope he/she wipes their arse after at least.

Yup, some poor girl on minimum wage making ends meet - he sure showed her.

Wael - I think they will sell the club, but keep the stadium and training facilities. They can rent it as a venue, rent it to UWE and rent it to Rovers. That would give them a good return on investment without saddling themselves with the loss making part - the actual football club (unless you get to the Premiership the game is a loss making endeavour) - there is nothing the club would be able to do about it either.

Latest news from the EP on UWE.

With no comment yet being made by either Bristol Rovers or UWE, Rovers fans are becoming restless as they fear their hopes of a new home will never be realised.

Rovers current home the Memorial Stadium is set to be renovated this summer, with improvements made to the pitch as well as some more minor decorating taking place. The six-figure sum the club announced it will spend on the Mem this season was seen by some as an indicator that a new stadium was not on the horizon. However the club have stated that the work is being carried out ‘irrespective of whether or not we will be moving to a new stadium’.

Bristol Rovers were contacted by the Post about the stadium progression but declined to comment.

9 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

"Never been more than one division away from the sh*t" - that prowed fact went as well.

That was always a lie.  They were a southern league club when we finished second in first division of the football league and runners up of the FA cup.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Malago said:

That was always a lie.  They were a southern league club when we finished second in first division of the football league and runners up of the FA cup.

Quite right sir! During City's first stint in Division One, they were two promotions away from City.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Rovers_F.C

In 1899 Bristol Rovers joined the newly formed Southern League, where they remained until 1920.

Wow! I read to the end of that Wikipedia article. It describes how Goodnight Irene became their anthem.

The song which is synonymous with Rovers is "Goodnight, Irene", which was written by Lead Belly.Opinions differ as to how this came about but it is thought to have become popular in the 1950s when a version of the song was in the British charts—the line "sometimes I have a great notion to jump in the river and drown"—seemed to be particularly apt when Rovers lost as the Bristol Frome flows alongside the old Eastville ground.[

They were certainly nomadic in their early years; "During World War II, some friendly matches were played in Kingswood, and in their early history some games were played at Parson Street, Bedminster"

On 09/05/2017 at 08:38, Red-Robbo said:

Wally's spending a six-figure sum, dontcha know!

£1,000.99

It made I giggle today when Exeter City announced they are spending £3.5m on improving their stadium....the gas are even in the Grecians' shadow as well! 

http://www.theexeterdaily.co.uk/news/business-daily-local-news-sport/work-begin-£35m-stadium-improvements-exeter-city-fc

But I thought the gas were now the 'sixth richest club in England'?!

They are gonna 'buy Ashton Gate and use it as a training ground for their youth team' and will 'undoubtedly overtake us soon and then leave us behind' - etc, etc, etc...

And now, after proudly announcing they are getting some new curtains and cleaning a few carpets, League Two Exeter steal their thunder and announce proper spending to upgrade a stadium....

To the blue few who scan these pages....we've just had an awful season and you still can't catch up, despite having a zillionaire owner....wake up, it hasn't worked out how you thought has it?

Your club put out a press release proudly highlighting new curtains and a lick of paint, whilst your neighbours in BS3 have splashed out over £45m on a stadium rebuild which includes ONE Stand which could comfortably accommodate your entire home support....

Just think about that....

"Tick Tock" - "Bristol City, we're coming for you..." - "Matty Taylor's worth £10m" - whoops, you lost him for £300k...

• Like 15

20 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

"Never been in the first division, never been in the 4th division" I used to get when I was younger.  Like it was some sort of bragging point.  

Yes, I did enjoy having to edit the verbal history book on 2nd May 2001 to "Never been in the first division, errr....".  

There definately were teds there that night, btw ;)

I'm sure I saw it running across the bottom panel on Sky Sports News earlier.

And it's bollocks anyway. They were bottom of Division 3 (South) in 1939, thereby causing the Second Word War :grr:

• Like 2

You have to wonder that if Wally is so loaded, why were these normal end of season maintenance works not carried out last year?

I can only think of 2 options. He's skint (which we have all kind of figured out) and he wasn't sure how far he could stretch last season's season ticket money. Or this time last yr he still believed UWE had a chance and deemed the spring clean unnecessary. 

So the money they got for Taylor is paying for sand, grass seed, a couple of sprinklers, new curtains, carpet cleaning and a lick of paint?.

Well I think it's a great strategy personally and on January 17th when the planning permission runs out, Wally can say "we can't leave the Minimal now after all of the investment of last summer".