IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

29 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Lets be honest here, wally didn't get involved with them for footballing reasons. 

I think he did, it was a "My First Football Club" present for him to play with to keep him occupied.  If he had made a success of it then his family might have tried him with a proper one; as it is it's run into the buffers and it's now time to get out before the family have to put any of their money at risk (all currently secured against the ground) to keep it going.

8 minutes ago, A Darkwood Red said:

I should've said almost beginning to feel sorry. I think he's a figure head, a puppet or tool being used by his family, I suspect he's always banged on about grandiose dreams of having his own successful club and taking it to the top so they can play his heroes at Chelsea. The rest of his more savvy family have seen an opportunity to make money, that's gone titsup and want out before they lose any. This could be a long and very messy affair for the blue few and I think there could be quite a few casualties along the way.  

Spot on.

15 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

It isn't the first time over the last 2 or 3 years though is it, clearly Rovers have problems regarding Racism and aren't doing enough to stamp it out.

With regard to not doing enough to stamp it out, that is sometimes easier said than done when it is one individual shouting something. I know one of the people who heard it on Saturday, but on a packed terrace they were unable to identify exactly who the perpetrator was.  I guess that those stood immediately around him/her would have known, but maybe they were mates who shared the same mindset? With group racist chanting (which we obviously don't want) it is easier to identify those involved via cc tv at a later date, and take action.

Hopefully stewards will be told to be more aware, and there may be more self-policing from fans, as a lot of decent people are angry that this has reared it's head yet again. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

BREAKING NEWS- Rovers release fly through of newly rebuilt Memorial stadium. 

The £100k they invested in the pitch looks money well spent now.

That notoriously bumpy pitch looks very flat and true now, without the slightest hint of any bumps.

Edited by The Gasbuster

It seems that this latest DS Charge against the Mem , pretty much confirms that the Gas can no longer be seen as even a potential competitor.

Redeveloping the Mem or finding a new green/brownfield site to develop just does not stack up commercially for anyone other than a Rovers supporting billionaire.... and anyone that rich, will not be that stupid. 

£40M is the absolute minimum needed to deliver a 'Championship Ready' Stadium/Training Ground/Academy and no commercial third party will invest that sum on such a speculative project as BRFC - a recently non- league club, with zero assets, very moderate home support and a long history of mediocrity.

There is no 'untapped potential' in Bristol to tempt a consortium, we have all of the above already in situ and a very, very wealthy fully committed owner As a result  and it will be very, very difficult to challenge us off the field commercially with conferencing/corporate hospitality given our 20(+) year head start and without that any significant external investment becomes a non starter.

I think we all have to get used to the fact that unless something very surprising, happens very soon, BRFC will have completely disappeared in our rear view mirror.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, red'tili'mdead said:

It seems that this latest DS Charge against the Mem , pretty much confirms that the Gas can no longer be seen as even a potential competitor.

Redeveloping the Mem or finding a new green/brownfield site to develop just does not stack up commercially for anyone other than a Rovers supporting billionaire.... and anyone that rich, will not be that stupid. 

£40M is the absolute minimum needed to deliver a 'Championship Ready' Stadium/Training Ground/Academy and no commercial third party will invest that sum on such a speculative project as BRFC - a recently non- league club, with zero assets, very moderate home support and a long history of mediocrity.

There is no 'untapped potential' in Bristol to tempt a consortium, we have all of the above already in situ and a very, very wealthy fully committed owner As a result  and it will be very, very difficult to challenge us off the field commercially with conferencing/corporate hospitality given our 20(+) year head start and without that any significant external investment becomes a non starter.

I think we all have to get used to the fact that unless something very surprising, happens very soon, BRFC will have completely disappeared in our rear view mirror.....

39mil 900k.

They already have the sprinklers.

• Like 5

Reading their forum, I'm surprised that so many of them are totally missing the point of a redevelopment. It's not about making things more comfy for the supporters although that goes hand in hand with redevelopment, it's about corporate non match day revenues and increasing the turnover of their horrible club. Hiring their crappy little social club out for wedding parties on alternate Saturdays is no longer enough.

As long as they don't have these sort of available revenues, they will never be able to compete, financially, at their current level let alone ours without incurring debt.

Actually, I'm not surprised they are missing the point, it's to be expected I guess.

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Nah even better to come up with something with UWE, athletics stadium (which is UWE originally wanted) with basketball facilities.

Jim Bowen can open it (if he's still alive) and say "hey gasheads look at what you could have won".

A Bristol Sport backed UWE stadium with no Football capabilities would be a genius move!

A lot of money to spend on a one finger salute though...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nathredwood said:

A Bristol Sport backed UWE stadium with no Football capabilities would be a genius move!

A lot of money to spend on a one finger salute though...

This for me wouldn't be a one fingered salute, that is just icing, the clue for me is probably Bristol 'sport'

Unlike our pikey neighbours SL could secure the said funding from investors and I would suspect enough investors would be interested in a venture such as this especially with the tie up to an up and coming university.

36 minutes ago, BCFC11 said:

Broken sprinklers, condemned pasty huts, pissed stained grotto's, the place is literally falling to bits, let's hope there's a lot more to come from the comedy club.  

Didn't one of their tent stands start falling down at some stage last season too..?!

57 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Reading their forum, I'm surprised that so many of them are totally missing the point of a redevelopment. It's not about making things more comfy for the supporters although that goes hand in hand with redevelopment, it's about corporate non match day revenues and increasing the turnover of their horrible club. Hiring their crappy little social club out for wedding parties on alternate Saturdays is no longer enough.

As long as they don't have these sort of available revenues, they will never be able to compete, financially, at their current level let alone ours without incurring debt.

Actually, I'm not surprised they are missing the point, it's to be expected I guess.

This is the main point. Any new stadium build/refit/theft which the gas undertake will only ever be in use on just 23 league (for obvious reasons, I've excluded cup competitions) match days each season; they no longer have the rugby club to provide them with an alternative revenue stream. For goodness sake, now that they're a pasty hut down, even their expected match day food revenues are going to be cut in half.

Use of any stadium needs to be maximised in order to contribute to Return on Investment. SL has recognised this and has already set up AG to be the biggest conference and training venue in the south-west. The Rovers will find it very tough to penetrate with their own offering, what will have by then become a very mature, recurring revenue stream for City. If he can't see it for himself, Wael's family will not see a compelling investment case - and they are investment bankers after all; they will also struggle to find and convince to invest in 'the project', other mugs third parties.

I can't believe that it will be so long before from WAQ is heard, that dreaded catchphrase from Dragon's Den: "I'm out".

• Like 1