IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, Lita For Congo said:

More racist behaviour from their fans today. Absolute joke of a club. 

An elderly man, who grew up in a different generation - doesn't make it right today though. He was spoken to by other supporters, before being reported.

Every club has a minority of morons - "One city fan should be ashamed of himself for shouting obscenities in the face of a disabled child and his carer when being asked to move by the carer as the child could not see."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, In the Net said:

An elderly man, who grew up in a different generation - doesn't make it right today though. He was spoken to by other supporters, before being reported.

Every club has a minority of morons - "One city fan should be ashamed of himself for shouting obscenities in the face of a disabled child and his carer when being asked to move by the carer as the child could not see."

It doesn't make it alright. It's the worst excuse in the world. 

Are you deliberately missing the point and context? Which is that a large proportion of your gaseous chums irrationally believe all City fans to be thugs and hooligans. You're obviously clued up enough to know that's not true and to see the irony here. 

Edited by City Rocker
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

It doesn't make it alright. It's the worst excuse in the world. 

Are you deliberately missing the point and context? Which is that a large proportion of your gaseous chums irrationally believe all City fans to be thugs and hooligans. You're obviously clued up enough to know that's not true and to see the irony here? 

https://youtu.be/uYjSpUqYMwQ

It doesn't make it right, as I said in my post!  Unfortunately, when people have used racial slurs, which have gone unchallenged for the majority of their lives, it is very difficult to re-educate them.  The best we can do is to make sure that the next generation realise that this is no longer acceptable or tolerated, as did the people who reported it today.

I have no idea what other Rovers fans may, or may not think about your fans - some people are very entrenched regarding the views they hold, others are able to be realistic and acknowledge that, as in most walks of life, football clubs will have good and bad amongst their fans.  Personally, I won't be casting any stones. 

18 minutes ago, In the Net said:

I have no idea what other Rovers fans may, or may not think about your fans - some people are very entrenched regarding the views they hold, others are able to be realistic and acknowledge that, as in most walks of life, football clubs will have good and bad amongst their fans.  Personally, I won't be casting any stones. 

I know you won't, like I said, you're clued up and nice. But sadly you seem to be in a minority of...hardly any. 

5 hours ago, In the Net said:

It doesn't make it right, as I said in my post!  Unfortunately, when people have used racial slurs, which have gone unchallenged for the majority of their lives, it is very difficult to re-educate them.  The best we can do is to make sure that the next generation realise that this is no longer acceptable or tolerated, as did the people who reported it today.

Come on ITN, for as long as I can remember Rovers have had a hard core of far right and racist support.

1 hour ago, harrys said:

Come on ITN, for as long as I can remember Rovers have had a hard core of far right and racist support.

Yes, there has always been a minority - sometimes vociferous, and previously others would have joined in without giving any thought to what they were saying/singing.  

It's a positive step that people now feel able to report it - the club have set up communication a system which can be used on matchdays, and is followed up immediately, which is what happened yesterday.  The club are also making these incidents, and how they are dealt with, public, which may make people think twice about making such comments in the future.  

It's sad that this still rears it's ugly head 20 years after "the bad old days" were begininng to be consigned to the history books.  Unfortunately, with the diverse society which we now live in, it may well turn out to be bubbling under the surface again.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, In the Net said:

Not the first Rovers fan to try and justify it. What about the previous incidents this season though? 

36 minutes ago, Lita For Congo said:

Not the first Rovers fan to try and justify it. What about the previous incidents this season though? 

Wasn't trying to justify anything - just giving further info on the incident.  Similarly I've not denied, or tried to condone, previous incidents - I am under no illusions that everybody who supports the same club as me are angels, who never transgress from the straight and narrow.  Every club has morons of various levels,  although some people prefer not to notice it amongst their own, I like to keep the blinkers off as they cause tunnel vision. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Talk in the corridor of power yesterday was of the Mem being discreetly put up for sale and the club President being not all there.

The second part is pretty obvious I'd say.  The first part, hard to keep that one on the down low.  Is the 'sale' to fund a new ground or to get some cash back for Wally?

3 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

The second part is pretty obvious I'd say.  The first part, hard to keep that one on the down low.  Is the 'sale' to fund a new ground or to get some cash back for Wally?

There wouldn't be much left over for either, after paying off the £10million debt that's secured against the ground. 

17 minutes ago, bert tann said:

Talk in the corridor of power yesterday was of the Mem being discreetly put up for sale and the club President being not all there.

Curious.

So a club with an asset of about 11 million and debts that could approach similar by the end of season secured against said asset is open to offers.

Can't be just me that thinks.... 'there is zero value in this deal, especially as I'd need to find tens of millions for a stadium'. 

If (and I don't know the answer to this), the club went in to administration, I am guessing there would be priority creditors, I would assume them to be HMRC and football creditors, along with secured creditors - like someone who could just get given the stadium?

Or would Wally being at the helm push their credit status further down the list?

On 9/8/2017 at 17:04, wendyredredrobin said:

I remember a few years back a game being cancelled last minute due to freezing rain.  I slithered and slid all the way to the ground and was walking from the car to find everyone walking the other way.  So had to slither and slide home again.  Very dangerous, that was.

That was against the gas in 1995.

The last postponement at Ashton Gate was on Boxing Day a couple of seasons age when we were due to play Peterborough.  They was a massive down pour prior to kick -off and the game was cancelled minutes before it was due to start.