IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

45 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

@bert tann, you put your point across very eloquently, well done for that, but, I'm in total agreement with Maesknoll Red. I would be livid if we so much as lent you a toilet roll let alone what you propose!

I remember 1982 and your lot stopping the council helping us so you could get your hands on the Gate by killing us off. 

Sorry Bert, it's a big fat 'NO' from me. 

Hahaha...you said 1982. Oh god the Ted's absolutely hate that 82....82 get it? 82....Really bothered by it aren't you? Hmmm? Hmmmm......No, not bothered in the slightest, but Roy Hodgson is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I'm a believer that Bristol and its catchment area is big enough to support two successful football clubs.  And some of our most exciting seasons have been playing in the same division and competing with Rovers at the top of the table.  For that reason, I have no desire to see them disappear as a club.

Last season, at various points, we were separated by just half a dozen league places.  In reality, there are light years between the two clubs.

Unfortunately, that gap is purely down to off-the-field circumstances.  It's not because we have performed brilliantly on the pitch over a period of years/decades.  When I first started watching City in the early 80s, there was very little to choose between the two clubs.  Eastville and Ashton Gate were in similar states of disrepair and both clubs were struggling to make their mark in their respective leagues.

The difference since the dark days of 1982 is that Bristol City have been more fortunate with their custodianship.  We have had a series of directors who have been prepared to back the club with their own money - each to a greater or lesser extent.  It has culminated in Stephen Lansdown pumping in tens of millions of pounds from his own personal wealth.  Rovers, by contrast, have been asset stripped from the sale of Eastville onwards.

Do I have any sympathy for them as a club?  None whatsoever.  I hold no issue with Rovers' fans and I would rather they had a club to support into the future.  But the underhand process that led to Rovers (or their holding company) acquiring sole ownership of the Memorial Ground was almost a crime.  By progressively weakening the finances of Bristol Rugby and making it untenable for them to compete in the professional game, the Rovers directors of the time should be ashamed.  Whatever the specific details of the story, Bristol Rugby Club were effectively destroyed by Bristol Rovers in their attempts to profit from the site to finance a stadium in south Gloucestershire.

The Al-Qadi owners were not responsible for that particular scam but they clearly bought Rovers for potential profit.  If they cannot bring about the UWE stadium project then that's their problem and I would not like to see Steve Lansdown offer any sort of olive branch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Xiled said:

I'm a believer that Bristol and its catchment area is big enough to support two successful football clubs.  And some of our most exciting seasons have been playing in the same division and competing with Rovers at the top of the table.  For that reason, I have no desire to see them disappear as a club.

Last season, at various points, we were separated by just half a dozen league places.  In reality, there are light years between the two clubs.

Unfortunately, that gap is purely down to off-the-field circumstances.  It's not because we have performed brilliantly on the pitch over a period of years/decades.  When I first started watching City in the early 80s, there was very little to choose between the two clubs.  Eastville and Ashton Gate were in similar states of disrepair and both clubs were struggling to make their mark in their respective leagues.

The difference since the dark days of 1982 is that Bristol City have been more fortunate with their custodianship.  We have had a series of directors who have been prepared to back the club with their own money - each to a greater or lesser extent.  It has culminated in Stephen Lansdown pumping in tens of millions of pounds from his own personal wealth.  Rovers, by contrast, have been asset stripped from the sale of Eastville onwards.

Do I have any sympathy for them as a club?  None whatsoever.  I hold no issue with Rovers' fans and I would rather they had a club to support into the future.  But the underhand process that led to Rovers (or their holding company) acquiring sole ownership of the Memorial Ground was almost a crime.  By progressively weakening the finances of Bristol Rugby and making it untenable for them to compete in the professional game, the Rovers directors of the time should be ashamed.  Whatever the specific details of the story, Bristol Rugby Club were effectively destroyed by Bristol Rovers in their attempts to profit from the site to finance a stadium in south Gloucestershire.

The Al-Qadi owners were not responsible for that particular scam but they clearly bought Rovers for potential profit.  If they cannot bring about the UWE stadium project then that's their problem and I would not like to see Steve Lansdown offer any sort of olive branch.

History shows the Sags sale anything of value that they own. The Methane Stadium will be sold either to pay off debt or ummm......

No just to pay off debt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Great post. Enjoyed reading that and fully agree with the points you cover.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Blimey, I thought this was one of Bert's very funny interludes and/or a fishing trip.

Bert, please don't spoil things, lets remember you as you were.

Don't worry LP I shall be picking up my prescription this afternoon and normal service will be resumed asap.

Thanks to all of you for at least debating the idea which is a courtesy I wouldn't have got on the Rovers forum.

And a special word to Maesknoll Red who, with the prospect of hostilities breaking out between Rovers supporters and our owners, I shall be recommending as a Middle East peace envoy. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

6 hours ago, glynriley said:

Caught a glimpse of last night's West Ham squad having a warm down. One of them obviously stopped off at Ashton Gate to pick up a t-shirt...

Having watched this it was no surprise they were too good for Rovers, it was almost like they've trained together before

• Haha 2

• Admin
2 hours ago, bert tann said:

Don't worry LP I shall be picking up my prescription this afternoon and normal service will be resumed asap.

Thanks to all of you for at least debating the idea which is a courtesy I wouldn't have got on the Rovers forum.

And a special word to Maesknoll Red who, with the prospect of hostilities breaking out between Rovers supporters and our owners, I shall be recommending as a Middle East peace envoy. 

How very dare you!  I am aghast that you would mention my name in that role, it has been sullied by the grinning chimp Blair and I  am deeply offended.  In fact, thinking on it, the false grin, the smarmy charm, the lining of his own pockets - Blair would make an excellent addition to the board of the sags........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

How very dare you!  I am aghast that you would mention my name in that role, it has been sullied by the grinning chimp Blair and I  am deeply offended.  In fact, thinking on it, the false grin, the smarmy charm, the lining of his own pockets - Blair would make an excellent addition to the board of the sags........

Coffee Unan 

Make that your new user name.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, glynriley said:

The natives are getting restless...

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/11001/retaining-faith-regime

Our "friend" Henbury Gas has posted: "Yes i have ultimate faith in the current owner only because they are our only option at the moment. Until a better option comes along (if Ever) then what else can we be and..............You can now get Hot Dogs at the mem, what more could you want "!

9 minutes ago, 22A said:

Our "friend" Henbury Gas has posted: "Yes i have ultimate faith in the current owner only because they are our only option at the moment. Until a better option comes along (if Ever) then what else can we be and..............You can now get Hot Dogs at the mem, what more could you want "!

They have some insightful posters on the gas boards (Bamber, Swiss, Peter Parker to name several) who must cringe every time Henbury Gas with his room temperature IQ manages to poke out another stream of idiocy to reinforce every stereotyping of a gashead seen here.  We've got some borderlines but compared to Henbury they are practically renaissance men.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Interesting how many of them refer to Wael of Fortune as being "a nice chap".  Thinking back to his early interviews, his pronouncements  now make him sound like "Chance the Gardener"  as played by Peter Sellers in Being There.  He was a nice chap too, but he had no idea what was going on either.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I'm certainly intrigued by all of this discussion revolving around potential administration for Rovers, but isn't it all hearsay? People speak about this £10m loan taken against the Mem as if it's common knowledge, but could it not just be an overblown rumour?

No that bit is in their accounts.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I'm certainly intrigued by all of this discussion revolving around potential administration for Rovers, but isn't it all hearsay? People speak about this £10m loan taken against the Mem as if it's common knowledge, but could it not just be an overblown rumour?

There is a charge registered at Companies' House against the Mem for a £10m RCF:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/04501223/charges/wSc2Sf8fS_sfvZmboWRkEEkZX6Q

At 30 June 2016 (more than a year ago) group borrowings were £7.2m

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/document-api-images-prod/docs/5zgFEDry-e6ctLGgnWxLvDKC_6oka-HSL67f4HwQpg0/application-pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=ASIAJE2RTOLY732Y3BOQ&Expires=1509573891&Signature=zbCkXdmQIGVCsxWSaS034pUlBsI%3D&x-amz-security-token=FQoDYXdzEPb%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2F%2FwEaDOv9nhIoLFs1bLUUjCK3A0qElcL%2B9l3cDBSoM0XnbUFKMzT1fGfHgBof3O561vomMEAOXHiIBzOIBCvQ8NwvQWu30EJAk9s65sydJftubuU3A8ah69fmAiok927m9Ey86fYW9FGC4DbdVHKbQsv4ETneDlq88BfRO2sb5sXX8b%2BeujirE6xEu2ABMih8MFjuvl255b%2F7MkkcA9leN3vxmSi1YjcUi8uf0Wyya%2FUWPLWDlnoE6ZDP9LYsYRNUHN25m5BGM5Koz9KMV9R18yi6aPFgEOyCxTumgVzZUJZAxXUATA5IyaC3vjhNGotfwjDHXjdm%2FkebkxdDoNd%2BqJ9CHUVNKKsvjpFayvOio5Qg7REUB0oEN5UoP6g58bz0PzMQJVHO7C%2Bv8rJpEKF1cu%2B9TzizcdU60F234OJrsXTZW6rbwtuSmJHw4SVN89JHnxtulKjEkOhAV6CTcyxsoPY%2BeZaEeopLkVlSO5PTiA%2FwBs4wBi7EU%2BFKsdPLxTuN8PBpho%2Bac4m%2FobQCcje6gbav9FZsFtKZ84FQ%2FpJFcelwMIlHZIapw%2Bjuyh%2FIRjmZcC%2BESAzTTbbcdgow7L9CiEKeyKmxX4T%2FyPcoyO%2FozwU%3D

If no money has been put in and losses are running at £1.5m a year (they are) then that loan fcaility is exhausted sometime early 2018.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Nope it's from the accounts lodged with Companies House for the football club and / or Dwayne Sports. All freely and publicly available from Companies House. Most of the other stuff is informed guesswork but the Charge against the stadium is there in black & white.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, glynriley said:

The natives are getting restless...

http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/11001/retaining-faith-regime

"Sixth richest club in England"

"We will take over City and use their stadium for our youth team games"

"We will overtake City within two years..."

"Bristol City, we're coming for you..."

"Tick tock..."

.....hollow talk that will well and truly come back to haunt them....they are so jealous it hurts, but they will never admit it....

Worth a giggle though! 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

"Sixth richest club in England"

"We will take over City and use their stadium for our youth team games"

"We will overtake City within two years..."

"Bristol City, we're coming for you..."

"Tick tock..."

.....hollow talk that will well and truly come back to haunt them....they are so jealous it hurts, but they will never admit it....

Worth a giggle though! 

And how can I ever forget........"Ha hah, hard luck The Sh1t" from that Dad in the motor?  Gawblimey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I could have sworn that it was calculated that they paid £7m to Higgs and co, plus the loan of £2m. It was rumoured that Higgs wanted/needed his £5m to bugger off to Italy, leaving £2m for the remaining shareholders. Perhaps not marked up as borrowings, more capital investment, you know, plastic chairs and canopy's. How can you find out how much was paid for the shares, HMRC?

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

I could have sworn that it was calculated that they paid £7m to Higgs and co, plus the loan of £2m. It was rumoured that Higgs wanted/needed his £5m to bugger off to Italy, leaving £2m for the remaining shareholders. Perhaps not marked up as borrowings, more capital investment, you know, plastic chairs and canopy's. How can you find out how much was paid for the shares, HMRC?

I don't think they're listed so it won't be disclosed anywhere.