IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

25 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

:laugh: to be frank with you, I'm amazed their stadium is up to FA standards if they have marquee tents and beach hut changing facilities.

Has to be the worst ground in the football league. Literally looks like a B&Q sale. Sooner it gets reclaimed for Bristol Rugby the better.

Was raised in no uncertain terms to hate everything about the ground pinching, six toed, dog bothering bastards.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bert tann said:

Wael U -Wait: Bristol Rovers reaching the Premier League is doable

Arab owner of English third-tier side is bidding to fulfil lofty ambitions with passion and pragmatism

London: Wael U-Wait is not a normal  football club owner as it immediately becomes apparent from interviewing him.

“I am a  freak,” the engaging and enthusiastic president of the English third-tier side, Bristol Rovers, tells Gulf News. “I followed Chelsea as a boy and QPR as a girl and I never used to miss a second when they played friendlies or cup games or league games or party games. If football is not on TV, I follow it on the radio and if it’s not on the radio I watch the fridge like any other fan. “I live and breathe every second of the game.”  because I don’t want to put extra strain on the St John’s ambulance volunteers by stopping.

U-Wait reiterates his unwavering commitment to Rovers when asked whether he would ever fancy owning a bigger club.“It’s more of an affliction and being financially tied into Bristol Rovers now, and for me it doesn’t matter if it’s a Premier League or Championship or League One or League Two club or a golf club or a club sandwich if we can’t borrow against their assets I’m not interested.

Absolutely fantastic, Bert :clapping:.

Whilst, as ever, I enjoyed every part of your post, I deleted the middle parts in this acknowledgement to assist those who read on mobile 'phones etc.

I thought @Son Of Nob's attempt was excellent, but I was laughing out loud at your post.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well the Neil Simpson 'tackle' on Ian Durrant (which put the Rangers player out of the game for three years) really cemented the hatred, and the sick Aberdeen chants about that tackle in subsequent years just added fuel to an already raging fire...but there was so much more.... have a peek here: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/archives/football/168306/aberdeen-v-rangers-a-history-of-hate/

All interesting stuff, certainly a lot of hatred there

8 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

I'll tell you something, it was a very very sad time. There had been boardroom fighting to take over control of the club and that spunked a load of cash, then there was confusion over what exactly was happening, the pikey squatters wanted "Trashton" for peanuts and to see us go under, we had the Support Bristol City Now or Never campaign, the players were on 10 year contracts and some fans turned against those players and very nastily too, vile threats ( similar to those against Matty Taylor from the Sags), local businesses suffered, the players struggled big time afterwards.....just ask Trevor Tainton! The whole affair was sour and the Sags LOVED EVERY SECOND OF IT. The clock is ticking when it comes to their collapse, the Sags own 82 is just round the corner, be nice if we did put a derisory offer in for the Mem just to boot them out. Tick ******* tock

No argument with much of that mate but it isn't quite accurate to say the "players were on ten year contracts", just one, Clive Whitehead was (11 years actually), an understandable over reaction to Gary Collier leaving us under freedom of contract and he left us anyway, in a £100k deal to West Brom, as part of the fire sale which saw Gerry Gow & Tom Ritchie go to Man City & Sunderland..

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

No argument with much of that mate but it isn't quite accurate to say the "players were on ten year contracts", just one, Clive Whitehead was (11 years actually), an understandable over reaction to Gary Collier leaving us under freedom of contract and he left us anyway, in a £100k deal to West Brom, as part of the fire sale which saw Gerry Gow & Tom Ritchie go to Man City & Sunderland..

This suggests six players were on 11 year contracts - http://soccersouls.com/2013/12/04/bristol-city-and-ashton-gate-eight/

Dunno if we'll ever know all the details of what went on back then...

• Like 1

Having supported City for 50 years, those players were my hero's.  However, I'm not sure that the 8 actually sacrificed anything in reality, since had they not ripped up their contracts, the club would not have been able to pay them anyway.   i.e. the contracts had become worthless. What  happened was a great shame, but we have now recovered and the future looks very promising. To reiterate though, I still hold the 8 in very high esteem.

The world is now a different place and the Sags may never recover after wally pulls the plug and repossesses the slum for a housing estate. 

Edited by wendyredredrobin
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Having supported City for 50 years, those players were my hero's.  However, I'm not sure that the 8 actually sacrificed anything in reality, since had they not ripped up their contracts, the club would not have been able to pay them anyway.   i.e. the contracts had become worthless. What  happened was a great shame, but we have now recovered and the future looks very promising. To reiterate though, I still hold the 8 in very high esteem.

The world is now a different place and the Sags may never recover after wally pulls the plug and repossesses the slum for a housing estate. 

Perhaps not, but they'd have been entitled to a distribution from the eventual asset stripping so they certainly did waive some potential income. How much though none of us can make any real guess - sometimes creditors get it all, often they get very little, but it could be anywhere in between.

16 minutes ago, myol'man said:

They already have mate  :gasmask:

Oh my giddy aunt!

Now I dislike Pulis with a passion, but, do they really believe he'd go there?  Shouldn't be surprised as I understand they said the same of Big Sam.

The delusions of grandeur are beyond belief with them lot. Although when you're the 6th richest club in the country, you have to aim for the sky!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Why they feel that a premiership manager would be interested in taking a 90% pay cut to work in a non-league infrastructure wirh no money to spend on players is beyond me. Deluded?

You say that, but I'm pretty sure most managers would have their head turned at the thought of championship ready sprinklers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

"Of course, we're nose-diving towards relegation; we've no money, no training ground and a crumbling stadium. In fact, we've an infrastructure which was state of the art in 1988, now it's state of the ark. So, can I take it that you'll leave your present job in the Premiership, ignore the vacant Wales manager opportunity and any other Premiership or Championship roles which may come along and instead, accept our job offer, Tiny?"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

This suggests six players were on 11 year contracts - http://soccersouls.com/2013/12/04/bristol-city-and-ashton-gate-eight/

Dunno if we'll ever know all the details of what went on back then...

Great article you’ve found BS4, Lots of interesting info, but I particularly liked:

“Local journalist, Peter Godsiff, had started to make noises about the fact the club had been spending far more than they were bringing in and he even reckoned the operating costs were probably five times the money earned at the gate.”

In those days journalists who worked for the Post actually did some investigative journalism, which is totally different to the Post’s attitude now to what is happening at Rovers. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Great article you’ve found BS4, Lots of interesting info, but I particularly liked:

“Local journalist, Peter Godsiff, had started to make noises about the fact the club had been spending far more than they were bringing in and he even reckoned the operating costs were probably five times the money earned at the gate.”

In those days journalists who worked for the Post actually did some investigative journalism, which is totally different to the Post’s attitude now to what is happening at Rovers. 

Imagine that, journalists being journalists, not just looking for a quick paycheck by writing whatever clickbait shite they can squeeze out in half an hour.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ZiderEyed said:

Imagine that, journalists being journalists, not just looking for a quick paycheck by writing whatever clickbait shite they can squeeze out in half an hour.

I don't blame the actual Journo's but the company that own that shit rag, newspapers are outdated now adays anyway 

• Like 2