IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

The season so far has left most Rovers fans unhappy about one thing or the other and generally wanting or demanding more.

However should we step back a moment and actually look at what Bristol Rovers football club actually is and who is similar out there.

If we do this then we can aim to make the ground and facilities the best compared to those whose history we parallel . Then the team can strive to improve our standing and thus competitors to compare against.

Firstly...we have to accept that BRFC have never played in the top flight ,so we should only compare ourselves to clubs who have also never reached that level.

Secondly ,we should look firstly at clubs who have similar balances across the divisions as BRFC.

So all said and done the list of most similar clubs are...

CLUB-------------TIER 1----TIER 2----TIER 3-----TIER 4-----TIER 5 (and below)

Bristol Rovers------0----------20--------59----------10----------1

Chesterfield--------0----------20--------58----------21

Tranmere Rovers--0----------11--------58----------18-----------2

Walsall-------------0----------15--------73-----------9

Rotherham Utd----0----------30--------48----------13

Doncaster Rovers-0----------19---------33----------33

Southend Utd------0----------8---------57-----------25

Others similar but not close enough being Stockport county ,Crewe Alex. , Plymouth Arg , Port vale , Lincoln City.

(some with better records some with worse)

So how do Rovers compare with those clubs off the field ?

Would the first achievement moving forward not to be to ensure BRFC have a better stadium and training set up than Chesterfield ,Walsall ,Tranmere ,Rotherham ,Doncaster and Southend ?

To give the team the footing to take the club upwards to find new teams to compare with ?

So a 15,000 all seater stadium with a decent training ground will do that.

It should be noted that only Burton in the championship have not played in the top flight in their history.

When you consider most of the crowds teams like Barnsley ,QPR , PNE get for example would fit into a 15,000 stadium .

Trying to compare or match with City is silly they have a different history on the field.

tier 1 =9

tier 2 =49

tier 3=45

tier 4=2.

As someone said...lets forget about Bristol city (for now) and start doing better than our real current competitors.

I was just saying we should not pretend the club is something more than what it is. The clubs I have mentioned all have similar histories to Rovers and that's despite Rovers getting far better crowds over the years than those clubs.

Potentially if Rovers were top four prem year on year they would get 50,000 crowds...but that's not happened so no need to prepare for that just yet.

You are so very right about the conditions the current fans have to put up with.

They need to be changed...hence the suggestion for doing the achievable now rather than living in hope and not ever getting anything.

A packed keepmoat style stadium at the mem would give all the comforts and a cracking atmosphere. In league one or the championship.

Bristol city's highest ever average in league one (or equiv.) is 12,864.

Bristol Rovers is 13,026.

15-16000 is more than enough at league one.

and adequate at championship.

If you ignore the 4 seasons in the top flight Brighton and hove albion share a very similar history both in divisional sense ,crowd sizes and moving stadiums.

However they really have no competition for support in the region.

Their forums have a few people who are not entirely pie in the sky,

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

I Don't give a flying **** about your plastic team, we are the only real community football club in Bristol, something you will never be no matter how much money you use to buy plastic players 

From the bullshitter that is Henbury Ass . What a belter 

I’ve read that a few times and still don’t understand what he’s trying to say

I know a few Gas from work who are decent enough lads but everytime that cocksocket starts spouting his shite makes me really hope the rumours of their imminent implosion are true. 

They really are a strange bunch.

A seat yielding 20 or 30 quid 22 times a season is nothing compared to a seat in a restaurant or corporate setting that might have a slightly lower 'profit per use' ratio but can be filled 6 or 7 days a week.

But all they want to argue over is if a stadium with a 40,000 capacity would be better as they take 40,000 to Wembly every time, even when the official attendance was only 30,000.

• Like 1

'Bristol city's highest ever average in league one (or equiv.) is 12,864'

More utter barlox from the methane snorters! 

1954 3 3S 49 17.596 38 3      
1953 5 3S 53 18.764 40 1      
1952 15 3S 73 17.780 45 2      
1951 10 3S 63 18.457 43 5      
1950 15 3S 73 21.449 41 1      
1949 16 3S 75 16.523 49 3      
1948 7 3S 57 20.951 43 2      
1947 3 3S 49 18.848
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Bristol city's highest ever average in league one (or equiv.) is 12,864.

Bristol Rovers is 13,026.

20 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

'Bristol city's highest ever average in league one (or equiv.) is 12,864'

More utter barlox from the methane snorters! 

1954 3 3S 49 17.596 38 3      
1953 5 3S 53 18.764 40 1      
1952 15 3S 73 17.780 45 2      
1951 10 3S 63 18.457 43 5      
1950 15 3S 73 21.449 41 1      
1949 16 3S 75 16.523 49 3      
1948 7 3S 57 20.951 43 2      
1947 3 3S 49 18.848

Yep , interesting use of stats. Technically @Ska Junkie that is Div 3 South so to prove a point they'll ignore those. Also putting in their highest average is 13,026 is funny as , although it might be true, they haven't averaged 10,000+ for 40 years and only 4 times in the last 50 have they managed above 10k in L1 add 2nd tier and that goes up another 2. I think 15k ground will be plenty for them, all they need is a rich benefactor to fund it all.

• Like 1

It shows up the difference in perspective of the two sets of fans.

From the quote above - Potentially if Rovers were top four prem year on year they would get 50,000 crowds

Meanwhile there is a thread on here questioning if AG is big enough for the prem at 27000 and the consensus is that it probably is for most games! No one has mentioned top four!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bristolmoose said:

From the quote above - Potentially if Rovers were top four prem year on year they would get 50,000 crowds

Meanwhile there is a thread on here questioning if AG is big enough for the prem at 27000 and the consensus is that it probably is for most games! No one has mentioned top four!

Most of the threads on their forum are pre moderated by these 2....

fantasy.jpeg.00e23fc23fc3f21d28465d32a2161c00.jpeg

19 hours ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

Having listened to some of his more upbeat interviews (very rare these days) he quite often left me thinking 'did I actually just hear that?'

From this EFL fixture outburst, the following gift:

“It’s clowns in charge. I’m all for Boxing Day games, I’m all for New Year’s Day games but I’ve picked up a hamstring injury,” said Clarke.

“It’s guaranteed the pitches are soft this time of year, with explosive players, the Premier League managers will be telling you this. We’re already into a lot of games this year.

Explosive players?!!  No wonder the Mem pitch is full of potholes.

13 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

I Don't give a flying **** about your plastic team, we are the only real community football club in Bristol, something you will never be no matter how much money you use to buy plastic players 

From the bullshitter that is Henbury Ass . What a belter 

Bristol City are plastic? Remind me which of the clubs is owned by a locally born businessman? Which of the clubs moved to Bath for years? Which of the clubs wanted to move to South Gloucestershire?

:rofl2br:

• Like 4

Is anyone on their website? I'm sure I saw a Red posting on there some time ago. I would love this to be explained.

I Don't give a flying **** about your plastic team, we are the only real community football club in Bristol

How is our team plastic? Owned by a Bristolian where as .......
Same ground in Bristol for about 113 years , where as .......
and as far as I know , actually paying wages above minimum , where as .....

Just because they are run like a pub side , I think I'm right in saying they have rented or squatted for all but 20 years since the start of the 2nd world war, doesn't mean they are more 'community, club than us. They just seem to try and grab an insult and use it, whether it fits or not.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Is anyone on their website? I'm sure I saw a Red posting on there some time ago. I would love this to be explained.

I Don't give a flying **** about your plastic team, we are the only real community football club in Bristol

How is our team plastic? Owned by a Bristolian where as .......
Same ground in Bristol for about 113 years , where as .......
and as far as I know , actually paying wages above minimum , where as .....

Just because they are run like a pub side , I think I'm right in saying they have rented or squatted for all but 20 years since the start of the 2nd world war, doesn't mean they are more 'community, club than us. They just seem to try and grab an insult and use it, whether it fits or not.

Generally pubs don't sell out of date crisps.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

Bristol City are plastic? Remind me which of the clubs is owned by a locally born businessman? Which of the clubs moved to Bath for years? Which of the clubs wanted to move to South Gloucestershire?

They have nothing on us . Absolutely nothing. So to make themselves feel better they got to make some bullshit up to justify there existence. And the author of that post has previous when it comes to bullshit . 

5 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

They have nothing on us . Absolutely nothing. So to make themselves feel better they got to make some bullshit up to justify there existence. And the author of that post has previous when it comes to bullshit . 

What henbury? i cant believe he would ever lie. Its not like he has been caught out several times already and been exposed so much even other fewers ignore him. :rofl2br:

I understand the concept of a plastic fan even if I find it a bit tedious but what on earth is a plastic player?

If he means not home grown, how many Bristol boys/academy graduates are in the Rovers squad?

And what is a community club, other than one at least part owned by the fans perhaps? Perhaps he means the well known Gashead community in Jordan? The digaspora so to speak.

If he is referring to the family club myth, that seems to lack an evidence base, other than the BP repeatedly calling it such.

If he means a club that is active in the community, our record is rather good on that front too, as recent well publicised events have shown.

All in all not a well made case then. Must try harder.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

...into a soulless identikit bowl.

We have our Bristolian owner, a club that involves itself into the local community, our spiritual home with over a century of history and the bigger fan base, proved in actual statistics year after year. They have none of that.

To a tit like Henbury Gas that obviously makes us plastic although if you actually ask a Gashead how we are ‘plastic’ they tend to struggle to come up with something that makes sense. Same goes for ‘franchise’.

They constantly bang on about their supposedly massive fan base but try to excuse their small crowds by saying  that most of them are put off by not having a nice comfy seat to sit in on matchdays....sounds ‘plastic’ to me.

1 hour ago, bristolmoose said:

As I’ve said before there is only one set of fans in Bristol with delusions of grandeur and it certainly isn’t City fans.

It amazes me what goes on inside their deformed balloon heads at times.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Yep , interesting use of stats. Technically @Ska Junkie that is Div 3 South so to prove a point they'll ignore those. Also putting in their highest average is 13,026 is funny as , although it might be true, they haven't averaged 10,000+ for 40 years and only 4 times in the last 50 have they managed above 10k in L1 add 2nd tier and that goes up another 2. I think 15k ground will be plenty for them, all they need is a rich benefactor to fund it all.

Have we really only had a highest third tier average of 12000 odd ?

44 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Speaking of bullshit, on their thread comically titled ‘a touch of realism’ one of them thinks they’d sell out a 15k stadium every match if they were doing well in L1.

I seem to remember them doing pretty well last season challenging for the Play Offs. Probably their best season for 17 years and they still couldn’t sell out their tiny stadium. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

7 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

Surely not.

I am afraid so. http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/bric.htm 

However our averages at that level have been quite consistent, you have to go back 43 years to find the one the gashead mentions. Look at their averages at that level since. 

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/brir.htm

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I am afraid so. http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/bric.htm 

However our averages at that level have been quite consistent, you have to go back 43 years to find the one the gashead mentions. Look at their averages at that level since. 

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/brir.htm

But the attendances during our last season in League one are skewed because of the redevelopment.  If we had the full stadium, I'm sure it would have been a 15k average or more.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

But the attendances during our last season in League one are skewed because of the redevelopment.  If we had the full stadium, I'm sure it would have been a 15k average or more.

I am sure they will tell that all their attendances were skewed during the the Trumpton years... :) 

59 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Only if you ignore when the third tier was split into Division 3 South and North, when we regularly averaged over 20,000.

The sixties and seventies, a time of bigger crowds generally we were above that level so wouldn't have got anything then, and by the eighties when we dropped back down crowds were lower for everyone.

35 minutes ago, Izza said:

13,026 in 1974 then a decline over the next 7 years, although in a higher division, down to 5,259

Are these the same faithful and true supporters :laugh:

But that doesn't count. They quite rightly say we have only existed since 1982. So surely only records from that date should be looked at? Otherwise they would be having a monopoly of all the available fans before that year.

Or are they suggesting we were around before that?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

A whole team would cost £13.20.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRISTOL-ROVERS-2017-18-SUBBUTEO-TOP-SPIN-TEAM-/182718574476

I can’t see the 15ers transfer budget stretching to afford any of those. They have too many carpets to clean.

Do you really think their transfer budget would stretch to 0.000035% of a Tilson?

• Haha 3