IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

6 hours ago, Jarman said:

Blackburn and Wigan coming up .... tough opponents for City in the Championship next season especially with some pretty decent teams coming down with their parachutes!  Unlike the rest of you, I went to the Mem today.  Brilliant atmosphere ... old fashioned terrace .. unlike the now sanitised Ashton Gate as my son said.  And those who talk about the 45,000 whatever.  Remember the ground up in Whorefield is always 95% full.  

Mate when your ground consists of tents, gazebos and two non working portloos it should be 100% full, every game, no exceptions. As for the sanitised Ashton gate.. if the horse punchers had their way they’d be playing in a modern plastic bowl outside of Bristol in south Gloucestershire, funded by a jordinain.. propa down 2 earf fans dem gazeds..

11 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Dopey interview............."I don't want to use the pitch as an excuse"      er... so he mentions it three times !

8 hours ago, Jarman said:

Blackburn and Wigan coming up .... tough opponents for City in the Championship next season especially with some pretty decent teams coming down with their parachutes!  Unlike the rest of you, I went to the Mem today.  Brilliant atmosphere ... old fashioned terrace .. unlike the now sanitised Ashton Gate as my son said.  And those who talk about the 45,000 whatever.  Remember the ground up in Whorefield is always 95% full.  

Watching Rovers must be like a throw back to the 80's. Rovers are very much the Cambridge United of 2018. Does the dog fiddler have the height of the mud measured in the corners? To actually pay money week in week out to go and sit on plastic chairs in a tent, eating out of date crisps, watching a non league standard of football played on a mud bath whilst listening to songs about the Teds in between hurling racist remarks and checking the scores every minute to see if The Shit are losing must really be worth the entrance fee to Dismaland.

Actually, I thought I was watching Banged Up Abroad last night and they were in a Mexican Prison, until I realised it was the League One highlights programme on Channel 5 from the Mem.

Edited by Cheesleysmate
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Jarman said:

1) Blackburn and Wigan coming up .... tough opponents for City in the Championship next season especially with some pretty decent teams coming down with their parachutes! 2) Unlike the rest of you, I went to the Mem today.  Brilliant atmosphere ... old fashioned terrace .. 3) unlike the now sanitised Ashton Gate as my son said.  4) And those who talk about the 45,000 whatever.  5) Remember the ground up in Whorefield is always 95% full.  

OK , I'll bite.

1) The Championship is always hard, they were both there before and struggled but still got some decent results. Both teams have won things , it's not like when(no disrespect) smaller clubs Burton to Rotherham came up and were seen by some clubs as cannon fodder , both of which then did well to stay up and upset some of the 'big boys', Burton still doing that.
2) Usually easier to get an atmosphere in a small ground that's close to the pitch, but depends where you go , there have been away fans not so impressed.
3) All seater stadiums have been around for about 25 years, I think it was a requirement in the top 2 divisions from about 1994, lower divisions were exempt.  So what exactly is sanitised? The clean comfortable stadium? the roomy well appointed concourses ? The fan park with food and drink available , bands or DJ's to enjoy , you even get away fans mixing in there. Or is that what you object too?
4) 45,000 , that one needs explanation, the total attendance at your non league playoff final that your lot manage to change into being how many you took?
5) You get around 9k , that's 75% . I know your lot like to juggle figures but that ones hard to deny.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Jarman said:

A couple of points you make are highlighted  

old fashioned terrace - it really is only a few steps I would never describe that as an old fashioned terrace

always 95% full - if by always you mean the past season or so?

Some facts here show that even the rugby was better attended than the football as recently as 2009

Average attendances
Bristol Rovers
Season       Att         League
2016–17    9,302    League One
2015–16    8,096    League Two    Bristol Rugby
2014–15    6,793    Conference      Att       League
2013–14    6,420    League Two    5,808    Championship
2012–13    6,308    League Two    4,859    Championship
2011–12    6,035    League Two    5,351    Championship
2010–11    6,253    League One    4,273    Championship
2009–10    7,042    League One    5,261    Championship
2008–09    7,170    League One    7,435    Premiership
2007–08    6,849    League One    9,175    Premiership
2006–07    7,931    League Two    10,152   Premiership

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Stadium_(Bristol)

Edited by CiderJar
  • Like 3

With all talk of the pitch thought I'd make an exception and check out the lowlights. Didn't look that bad to me. Only 'puddle' I could see was the Centre Half's pile of **** challenge (sic) in allowing Shrews opener. Shrews winger seemed not to have a close ball control issue on the surface when waltzing past four defenders to score from an acute angle.

Highlight has to be The Littlest Hobo's Lord Of The Tramps jig after conceding the winner. Delightful.

When did your son visit AG?

• Like 1

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 10.16.28.png

....unlike the now sanitised Ashton Gate....

If ever there was a quote that defines the chasm between our respective standings and aspirations this is it.

Being berated for having an expansive stadium fully compliant with Approved Document G, where risk of illness and disease is minimised through deployment of 21st century sanitary-ware. Where consumables are prepared in spotless kitchens and served to the highest standard. 

Because atmosphere to me has always been ****ing in a hole in the ground, ****ing in a **** strewn portaloo and scoffing a mechanically recovered meat product served from the rear of a cut-n-shut former ambulance, warmed through by an untrained operative for whom cleanliness involves rubbing their hands over the nearest tree post taking a dump.

We're not just leagues apart, were centuries distant.........

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

I don’t know why you lot keep doing this to yourselves? Its never 95% full.

As Sergio said, such a small stadium used by a club who constantly bang on about how amazing their support is should be 100% full each game. We were getting 11/12k for home games during the worst 7 months of supporting City in my personal memory (Aug 2013-Feb 2014, bottom of L1)....you’ve got no excuses.

Ashton Gate is no different to the Mem or most other grounds in terms of atmosphere. Sometimes it’s dull, sometimes it’s good, sometimes it’s incredible. Depends on many factors.

Don't pretend it’s any different at Rovers.

Despite a poor run of one win in 9 games we’ll still have 20k+ on Saturday against Sunderland. Mind the gap.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

If the attendance was only 47k, why were so many locked out?

They prefer it that way. They don`t have to pay for a match ticket and can roam the surrounding streets playing boob cricket, racially abusing people, punching horses and constantly looking at their phones to see if we`re losing.

A sag`s idea of a perfect day out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Juan Kerr said:

You'd think sags would be good at sums, what with the 24 digits and all.

Perhaps that's it. They work on a duodecimal system and multiply everything by a factor of 1.2.

Therefore yesterday's attendance  becomes 11,256 after applying the "Gas factor" which is 92% of capacity, not far off the 95% claimed.

Edited by bristolmoose
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

"The pitch ruined it today and probably cost us the game; it is so unpredictable for players to play on,  but it wasn’t easy to pass it out on the deck without the ball high fiving a lump of turf on the way through."

That is their secret plan to beat City when / if we ever have to go there for a competitive game

The gap between League One and The Championship is vast now.

Last seasons relegated trio from it sit 1st, 3rd and 5th.

Of the three sides that came down from The Prem in contrast two of them are in the bottom three again this season.

Playing in a 12000 capacity non league standard ground with a swamp for a pitch shows how far they are away from us now.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

I read somewhere on this thread about the tents and how long they’ve been there - so looked up Bristol planning portal and found the application

06/02073/F | Erection of additional temporary seating. (650 Seats) in the form of two stands - Stand B to the rear of Strathmore Road adjacent to the existing west stand, and Stand C attached to the existing south stand nearest Alton Road. | The Memorial Stadium Filton Avenue Bristol BS7 0AQ

it was a temporary approval for 3 years from 2006 to 2009  can’t find any extension of time - anybody expert enough to know why it’s still there - if it’s because of subsequent planning applications allow it to remain the last one for the superstore runs out this year and if they haven’t submitted anything about stadium redevelopment by the summer I think the tents need to go!!

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Jimatno9 said:

I read somewhere on this thread about the tents and how long they’ve been there - so looked up Bristol planning portal and found the application

06/02073/F | Erection of additional temporary seating. (650 Seats) in the form of two stands - Stand B to the rear of Strathmore Road adjacent to the existing west stand, and Stand C attached to the existing south stand nearest Alton Road. | The Memorial Stadium Filton Avenue Bristol BS7 0AQ

it was a temporary approval for 3 years from 2006 to 2009  can’t find any extension of time - anybody expert enough to know why it’s still there - if it’s because of subsequent planning applications allow it to remain the last one for the superstore runs out this year and if they haven’t submitted anything about stadium redevelopment by the summer I think the tents need to go!!

That's the Bristol interpretation of the word "temporary" that allowed that flyover to persist in front of St Mary Redcliffe for 30 odd years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bristolmoose said:

Perhaps that's it. They work on a duodecimal system and multiply everything by a factor of 1.2.

Therefore yesterday's attendance  becomes 11,256 after applying the "Gas factor" which is 92% of capacity, not far off the 95% claimed.

"Gas Factor" :laughcont:

That sounds like an idea for a new shitty talent show, to be shown on ITV on Saturday evenings.

A competition for shit, worthless and past it "footballers" to showcase their skills in hoofing a football, running through mud and missing sitters, whilst being racially abused and punched by the audience and judges.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Jimatno9 said:

You'd be doing them a favour if you got the tents closed down.

They would then get closer to the 95% capacity they like to mention.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jarman said:

0/10. Must try harder.

13 hours ago, Jarman said:

Blackburn and Wigan coming up .... tough opponents for City in the Championship next season especially with some pretty decent teams coming down with their parachutes!  Unlike the rest of you, I went to the Mem today.  Brilliant atmosphere ... old fashioned terrace .. unlike the now sanitised Ashton Gate as my son said.  And those who talk about the 45,000 whatever.  Remember the ground up in Whorefield is always 95% full of gypsies, tramps and thieves.  

There you go Harold, I've fixed that for you.

Can't argue with what you say about it being an old fashioned terrace. The picture says it all.

The smell of Irene's manky bloomers on that washing line must be unbearable.

Clearly not something to be sniffed at.

image.png.767ad831e937a5ee01d15dce67883074.png

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jarman said:

Sanitised ! Clueless****. 

14 hours ago, Izza said:

Minimal ground 12,300 capacity............95%=11,685  so like the rest of the post either a wind up or typical gas crap

One day, some Rovers fan might actually sit down and look and factual evidence regarding attendances. 

I think it may come as quite some shock to them..!