IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 minutes ago, chucky said:

Love this in the Bristol post

"Reports had linked Rovers to the likes of Forest Green's Christian Doidge but that looks unlikely with Clarke explaining that big names were outside the budget of the Pirates"

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/bristol-rovers-transfer-news-doidge-1837760

Appreciate that FGR have come a long way in recent years, but for Rovers to not be in the running to sign one of their players.... They should be worried.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Exactly.

I think the operation in London is actually very revealing.  I have been involved in major development schemes with the most complicated involving three parties (they get more complicated but that's my highest one) and they take a huge amount of work to set up and may need to change if one of the parties drops out; raises the price etc.

I think that the purchase of Rovers by the Al Qadis had two sides:

1) A foootball club to let Wael live out his dream of being a smaller scale Roman Abrahamovic; this will be an overhead to the main business but may possibly come good if they get a run and get promoted to the Championship or Premiership.  Obviously both are incredibly unlikely but this doesn't matter anyway.

Because this was only a sideline to the main reason:

2) Property development: on buying this looked like a fantastic deal - sell the Mem for top dollar, move to s ahiny new part-owned stadium, take the money out and sell the club as a going concern.

This however collapsed so onto a new plan to get a return on your investment.

You own a big piece of prime Bristol land from which you want to make money, to do this at best profit you need to develop it as housing rather than sell it as a devlopment site to somebody else.  To develop it you need:

Land - got that

Financing - either a loan for development finance or a joint venture partner who will provide financing equal to the land value and then share profits on sale; ideally the latter as this is lower risk.  This is who the London office has been tasked to find.

Planning permission - owning the club helps with this; couch it that the development is needed to "save Rovers" and councillors start lining up to back it with a view to votes.  So with this you can get away with densisty / lack of affordable that a normal developer couldn't.

If they can get ths off the ground with a suitable partner / investor within a couple of years then they stand to make a profit on buying Rovers.  The football club is a sideshow to give Wael something to do and help with the planning application when it goes in.  There will be no big money purchases, the money is needed for the development scheme, and there will be no substantial spend on the Mem when the aim is to flatten it.

This why a pleasant old buffer like Steve Hamer was brought in: to keep the fans quiet by encouraging words so that they don't realise that there is zero interest by the owners in the football club; they just happen to play on a valuable piece of real estate. 

If you want to do nothing but still want to pretend to be doing something then what sort of catchphrases would you come up with?

How about?

• Evolution not revolution.
  • These things take time.

Good afternoon Wael, thanks for talking through what your plans were.

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

You replaced her hamster with a cat and she didn’t notice..?! 

And she's just found out from reading OTIB.

Watch out @Red Right Hand

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, chucky said:

"Reports had linked Rovers to the likes of Forest Green's Christian Doidge but that looks unlikely with Clarke explaining that big names were outside the budget of the Pirates"

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/bristol-rovers-transfer-news-doidge-1837760

Christ! :laughcont:

Mind the Gap.

1 hour ago, wood_red said:

They will also be loving the fact that a certain Mr Clarke is making an appearance down "Trashton" tonight  ?

One of them reckons Dopey could have a ‘field day’ with LJ and the Yeovil boss. I’m not sure exactly how Clarke could have a ‘field day’ with LJ? The bloke is hardly a master of wit and I doubt he’ll want to bring up the time he told everyone MT would only be sold for £10mil only to have his pants pulled down by LJ and City a few weeks later. :laughcont:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

One of them reckons Dopey could have a ‘field day’ with LJ and the Yeovil boss. I’m not sure exactly how Clarke could have a ‘field day’ with LJ? The bloke is hardly a master of wit and I doubt he’ll want to bring up the time he told everyone MT would only be sold for £10mil only to have his pants pulled down by LJ and City a few weeks later. :laughcont:

To be fair, LJ did say we would be in the Euro league so we're not totally innocent of a bit of flannel ourselves. 

I see Dragons Den are looking for entrepreneurs for the next series, maybe the Fake Sheikh could scam a few quid on there?

Apply to enter the Den

If you want to take part in Dragons’ Den, download the application form (106KB) and either email or post it as directed in the download. 
As part of normal selection process we may approach entrepreneurs, or they may apply direct. In each case all applications are processed in the same way. To be considered all candidates need to submit an application form and these are then subject to the same casting criteria. Final selection for participation in the programme will be decided on a number of factors including the strength of idea, a robust business plan and projected turnover.

7 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

To be fair, LJ did say we would be in the Euro league so we're not totally innocent of a bit of flannel ourselves. 

1. In response to a question for where we'd be in 5-10 years.

It's been 2 seasons.

2. It was said with a grin on his face- fairly clear from the tone as well that he wasn't being completely serious.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

What was the question he was answering? (I can’t remember).

Was he being asked where he would ‘like’ us to be in 5 years or where he ‘thinks’ we’ll be in 5 years.

18 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Mind the Gap.

He's more  likely to have a Mansfield day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

It's been 2 seasons.

2. It was said with a grin on his face- fairly clear from the tone as well that he wasn't being completely serious.

Ahh, great..thanks.

To be honest if my boss was someone like Steve Lansdown who has shown his ambition for the club over many years my answer to that question would probably be the same as LJs. Surely people wouldn’t expect him to say “oh, I dunno...hopefully in 5 years time we’ll be bumming around mid table L1”?

I know Gasheads throw that quote about Europe at us on a regular basis but I’d much rather support a club that aims high. Instead of sneering in the shadows like they usually do perhaps they should try and get their own bosses to show a bit of ambition for once?

Fat chance of that, they’re proud to be shit.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Ahh, great..thanks.

To be honest if my boss was someone like Steve Lansdown who has shown his ambition for the club over many years my answer to that question would probably be the same as LJs. Surely people wouldn’t expect him to say “oh, I dunno...hopefully in 5 years time we’ll be bumming around mid table L1”?

I know Gasheads throw that quote about Europe at us on a regular basis but I’d much rather support a club who aims high. Instead of sneering in the shadows like they usually do perhaps they should try and get their own bosses to show a bit of ambition for once?

Fat chance of that, they’re proud to be shit.

I'm fairly sure that was the question, may be wrong though.

He definitely didn't seem completely serious in the answer to me.

He did say after it "I believe it could happen too..." and something about the ambition at the club and facilities.

It reminded me of when you're having a laugh with a mate and something gets suggested and you think "we could do this" but really you know it's a very unlikely thing.

1 hour ago, chucky said:

That is one of the funniest things I’ve read in a long time and Rovers fans should sit, contemplate and actually absorb the bleak reality of that statement..! 

Mind The Gap!! 

1 hour ago, chucky said:

Since when is Doidge a 'big name'? If that's how he is seen by the Gas it is just another sign of what they have become.

If he is then Eisa would be as well, not something any of us would claim.

2 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Funny thing is that whilst we are 9 to 1 against being promoted, they are at 13 to 2.  So the bookies think that they are much more likely to go up than we are.  Who wouls you put your money on even as a neutral?

As bad as they are, I  think a neutral might think 13 / 2 is a good punt, as average teams sometimes scrape into the playoffs and get promoted. A neutral might just look at last year’s league table and not realise that Rovers keep selling players and replace them with free transfer players. If a neutral really looked at their situation they would go for the 13 / 2 bet to get relegated. 

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Mind the Gap.

Well he could do, if the conversations move on to training facilities...

LJ: Various pitches all of a high standard, enabling us to train in all weather and develop a clear pathway across all age groups...

DC: Well we have a field. We don’t use it though. Wally is waiting for his brother to say we are allowed.

21 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Well he could do, if the conversations move on to training facilities...

LJ: Various pitches all of a high standard, enabling us to train in all weather and develop a clear pathway across all age groups...

DC: That sounds very exciting, Lee. Do you get many dog walkers up there..? Asking for a friend..! 

Corrected for you. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

It's been 2 seasons.

Well it was asked of DC and LJ "where do you see the clubs in -10 years time"  - DC replied with something uninspiring like being able to afford their own match balls and kits or something equally lame, and LJ just smiled and said to be playing in Europe. So no he was not being 100% serious, just mischief aimed at DC and Rovers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Well it was asked of DC and LJ "where do you see the clubs in -10 years time"  - DC replied with something uninspiring like being able to afford their own match balls and kits or something equally lame, and LJ just smiled and said to be playing in Europe. So no he was not being 100% serious, just mischief aimed at DC and Rovers.

A take on the old classic....

Interviewer: “so DC & LJ, what are your hopes for the season ahead..?”

DC: “as things stand, I’d be happy to win more than we lose. Avoid any prolonged relegation battle and hopefully progress beyond the first round of the cups”

LJ:”I’d hope we will be promoted by Easter. Id like to see us remain unbeaten at home all season and I’d like to think we could win the FA Cup, if not the league cup as well”

DC: “bloody hell Lee, don’t you think that’s a bit unrealistic and ridiculous..?”

LJ:”alright, calm down Darrell. You started it..!” 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Was it 10 years Fiale, I thought it was 5? I do appreciate it was a tongue in cheek comment by the way.

16 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Was it 10 years Fiale, I thought it was 5? I do appreciate it was a tongue in cheek comment by the way.

yes it was 5  (5-10)  i did type 5-10 but it did not register just the   -10 came out..    FFS  (fat finger syndrome)..  

stock-vector-fat-emoticon-showing-thumb-

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RedM said:

I don’t really know whether to laugh or cry at them. Laugh I think as they were only too ready to stick the boot in when we were down. 

Oh laugh definitely laugh.....it’s only fair because they give us soooooo much to laugh at, over and over again.....and I’ll never forget moments like this vid below....have you ever seen a City manager demonstrate such a classless performance?! I doubt it....how cringey is Dopey at 0:52....No ground, no crowd, no class - that’s the gas....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Let’s hope the dog botherer waits for the questions to be finished tonight. And he’s not his rude obnoxious self 

We'll soon see. The whole experience and plush surroundings could render him speechless.

I expect he'll still get a few "Yeah,No's" in mind.

4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Appreciate that FGR have come a long way in recent years, but for Rovers to not be in the running to sign one of their players.... They should be worried.

Well if I was a fan of the ‘sixth richest club in England’ and considered ‘Man City to be our rivals’ - I’d be extremely worried - and I know it’s boring but those quotes came from the mouths of sags...I ain’t gonna let them forget those words and many, many more like them....yet they all chuckle in their Northern outpost pubs when they discuss ‘dem pesky teds’ who ‘reckon they’re a massive club’ etc etc etc....the delusion and comedy has to be witnessed to be believed....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well if I was a fan of the ‘sixth richest club in England’ and considered ‘Man City to be our rivals’ - I’d be extremely worried - and I know it’s boring but those quotes came from the mouths of sags...I ain’t gonna let them forget those words and many, many more like them....yet they all chuckle in their Northern outpost pubs when they discuss ‘dem pesky teds’ who ‘reckon they’re a massive club’ etc etc etc....the delusion and comedy has to be witnessed to be believed....

In fairness, if you were the "sixth richest club in England" and "rivals of Man City" you'd hope not to be in the running for a Forest Green Rovers player.

Only for a different reason than the actual one.

3 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Tbf we were only really 2 wins away from the Europa League last season, Clarke stated that within the same time frame that the Sags would be in a new stadium and new training complex, now you tell me who’s ‘dream’ was more realistic ?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

In fairness, if you were the "sixth richest club in England" and "rivals of Man City" you'd hope not to be in the running for a Forest Green Rovers player.

Only for a different reason than the actual one.

They are ok on that front, that player is too much of a "big name" for them to sign and out of their reach......