IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

The general consensus is:

Wael out.

New owners are apparently a Liverpool and Isle of Man group in conjunction with a Southampton based construction Company. The Colony Site not to be built, and UWE have leased a training area alongside M32 to the Gas.

Wether that means UWE is back on and Mem sold for housing, or Mem redeveloped and Colony site re-zoned (I thought that was impossible) is any old Gasheads guess.

Lots of confirmation from their ITK's that this is a done deal, with the Camel Riders leaving end of this months.

I have a feeling that this might not turn out as well as their fans hope - Mem sold, houses built, and no home.

Oh well.

why on this earth would anyone want to purchase them?

One of if not the most pointless tinpot club in the whole of football, if the rumours are to be true loads of the make believers are already crowing about a new training ground and UWE being back on, will they ever learn?

Fk Em.

Edited by BCFC11

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

To be fair, after their pitch renovations earlier this year they’ve got a fine playing surface now...

They have and a lot of their fans are complaining about it as it removes one of the few advantages they had last season. Footballing teams couldn`t play on it but the s*gs were used to it and they reckon that`s going to cost them points this year.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Just going by what I was told by a couple of Argyle fans that were there Miah.

What did happen then?

Oh it was all cringey stuff alright, but the quote was 'tried to invade the family section and seats were thrown'

You can pretty much see all that happened in the video., although what might not be clear is that the guy on the ground with 5 or 6 stewards and police trying to keep him down is a Plymouth fan who ran onto the pitch after the goal towards the Rovers fans which is what really started it all. The rest was the embarrassing spectacle of a few Rovers fans walking past the netting and staying there saying 'come on then' and a few Plymouth fans doing the same. They all stood there saying 'come on then' for a while giving the police enough time to walk up the steps to prevent anyone actually having to throw a punch and getting hurt. Outside after the game was all pretty much more of the same.

I've seen all sorts of fans (including City) do this sort of thing over the years, you know the pose, crucifix position, suggesting they want a fight, when really , if you gave them a pair of gloves and asked them to step into a boxing ring, they would run a mile. It's all hideously cringeworthy.

I seemed to have strayed from the original point that Rovers did not try to 'get into a family section' I find it hard to believe that the section next to us was a family section, it certainly didn't look like it, and I certainly didn't see seats thrown, although I concede in that video it looks like a couple of things were chucked.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Oh it was all cringey stuff alright, but the quote was 'tried to invade the family section and seats were thrown'

You can pretty much see all that happened in the video., although what might not be clear is that the guy on the ground with 5 or 6 stewards and police trying to keep him down is a Plymouth fan who ran onto the pitch after the goal towards the Rovers fans which is what really started it all. The rest was the embarrassing spectacle of a few Rovers fans walking past the netting and staying there saying 'come on then' and a few Plymouth fans doing the same. They all stood there saying 'come on then' for a while giving the police enough time to walk up the steps to prevent anyone actually having to throw a punch and getting hurt. Outside after the game was all pretty much more of the same.

I've seen all sorts of fans (including City) do this sort of thing over the years, you know the pose, crucifix position, suggesting they want a fight, when really , if you gave them a pair of gloves and asked them to step into a boxing ring, they would run a mile. It's all hideously cringeworthy.

I seemed to have strayed from the original point that Rovers did not try to 'get into a family section' I find it hard to believe that the section next to us was a family section, it certainly didn't look like it, and I certainly didn't see seats thrown, although I concede in that video it looks like a couple of things were chucked.

the sight of the skull and crossbones flag being waved about would have scared off the kids so yeah it wouldn't have looked like a family section ….

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Oh it was all cringey stuff alright, but the quote was 'tried to invade the family section and seats 

Genuine question, is this correct as I did a google and it seems to point to the family section being for home and away families and the away fans in the barn park end. Like i said this is a question as i couldnt tell for sure.

A new bloke to carry shoulder high down Gloucester Road the next time we concede a goal. Out of town bowl possibly back on the cards.

Presumably this means they’re ‘comin fer us’ again?

Let’s go straight over to Jakes dad, who’s sat in a car, to find out what a typical Gashead thinks about all of this...

31904852-79D0-42A3-8BF0-216BEB85DD91.jpeg

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

why on this earth would anyone want to purchase them?

One of if not the most pointless tinpot club in the whole of football, if the rumours are to be true loads of the make believers are already crowing about a new training ground and UWE being back on, will they ever learn?

Fk Em.

Nail. On. Head.

I was only musing on this the other day. Why would anyone think it's a good idea to buy a football club who only ever play in the lower divisions/non league with a small fanbase and incredibly poor facilities in a city that is not an historical footballing hotbed, when their neighbours are now arguably an established - or on the verge of becoming one - Championship team, with a billionaire owner, a fantastic new stadium, an ever improving academy, more media attention, and for the right reasons; that's also part of a growing sporting empire.

In an industry known for not being one that generates huge profits unless you're amongst the very elite clubs, any businessman or consortium would now have to throw hundreds of millions at da Roverzzz just to catch up with where we currently are, let alone surpass us. Unless this was another Bristolian billionaire who has a genuine love for the gas I just don't see why anyone would bother unless it's just to make some money on a land deal with no concern or interest towards the club. I'm sure there must be other clubs out there that would be 'cheap' to buy with more potential and less local competition that a prospective owner would take on as a project.

Edited by JustinCider
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustinCider said:

Nail. On. Head.

I was only musing on this the other day. Why would anyone think it's a good idea to buy a football club who only ever play in the lower divisions/non league with a small fanbase and incredibly poor facilities in a city that is not an historical footballing hotbed, when their neighbours are now arguably an established - or on the verge of becoming one - Championship team, with a billionaire owner, a fantastic new stadium, an ever improving academy, more media attention, and for the right reasons; that's also part of a growing sporting empire.

In an industry known for not being one that generates huge profits unless you're amongst the very elite clubs, any businessman or consortium would now have to throw hundreds of millions at the Roverzzz just to catch up with where we currently are, let alone surpass us. Unless this was another Bristolian billionaire who has a genuine love for them I just don't see why anyone would bother unless it's just to make some money on a land deal with no concern or interest towards the club. I'm sure there must be other clubs out there that would be 'cheap' to buy with more potential and less local competition that a prospective owner would take on as a project.

Exactly. Plymouth would be a much better opportunity for someone wanted to invest and develop.

Massive catchment area, especially with Cornwall being under represented in the professional game.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Exactly. Plymouth would be a much better opportunity for someone wanted to invest and develop.

Massive catchment area, especially with Cornwall being under represented in the professional game.

Plymouth is too out on a limb IMO to ever achieve serious success; players aren't keen to go there either.

Not that I wish to do so but if I was going to buy a west of England club that had the potential to go places with money spent then it would be Swindon: cheap because it is going nowhere but Div 4 at present, no local rivals and a history of past success (the Hoddle years).

Rovers has a big and more successful local rival in us which it would cost an absolute fortune spending on ground, training facilities, and players for any buyers to raise them above us into being the top football draw in the Bristol area and really start building crowds sufficiently to turn a profit.  That absolute fortune would be much better spent elsewhere.

Though if the rumours about the construction company are true then it is another buyer seeing value in a prime patch of development land which happens to have some footballers trot about on it every other Saturday.

• Like 1

It’s worth remembering that at various times over the last 12 months their ‘ITKs’ have suggested various imminent takeovers from Chinese and American Consortiums to James Dyson, the G Tech Brummie and Peter Hargreaves.

Hopefully it’ll turn out to be Nick Higgs. 

2 hours ago, Crackers Corner said:

Genuine question, is this correct as I did a google and it seems to point to the family section being for home and away families and the away fans in the barn park end. Like i said this is a question as i couldnt tell for sure.

If it was a family section it didn't look like it, and it does seem odd to put a family section next to the away fans. As I recall it , it seemed to be full of people whose idea of entertainment on a Saturday afternoon is to flick v signs at away fans.

2 minutes ago, Busterrimes said:

Just a quick thought which may have already been covered but can da Roverz actually sell the Memorial for housing? Is there not a covenant that states it must be used for sporting purposes?

Perhaps the locals may want to fight using that.

They were going to build a supermarket on it, so I don't this that's the case.

23 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

If it was a family section it didn't look like it, and it does seem odd to put a family section next to the away fans. As I recall it , it seemed to be full of people whose idea of entertainment on a Saturday afternoon is to flick v signs at away fans.

It happens quite a bit in proper stadiums.

Won't happen, buy the club just for the wally to recoup his families money, selling the ground doubt they would break even, buy some land build a new ground got to be talking at least 30mil for a basic identikit stadium, that's before any investment in the squad, unless someone has a passion for the team I doubt very much it will happen.

More likely someone buys wally out, more promises not kept, ground sold, pack yer bags gasheads the downs await your relocation.

HAPPY DAYS.

• Like 3

Bloody hell according to slagchat Filton Airfield is now the preferred site for a stadium. Move over Bristol Arena, the sags and their 8,000 loyal and true are taking over. My cousin has already come out of the woodwork this morning giving it large, when will they ever learn!

Edited by Danny P

56 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Wouldn’t most supporters from other clubs think that your “family stand” doesn’t look much like one..? It doesn’t stop it being so though, does it..?! 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Danny P said:

Bloody hell according to slagchat Filton Airfield is now the preferred site for a stadium. 

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=287&t=167057

The brabazon hangars contain a lot of asbestos from what I last heard, and will require a lot of work to get them in any sort of state where the public can gain access to them!

1 hour ago, 22A said:

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=287&t=167057

The brabazon hangars contain a lot of asbestos from what I last heard, and will require a lot of work to get them in any sort of state where the public can gain access to them!

Don't tell the sags that! They'll think it's some new South American forward Dopey's signed called Asbestos

2 hours ago, Danny P said:

Bloody hell according to slagchat Filton Airfield is now the preferred site for a stadium. Move over Bristol Arena, the sags and their 8,000 loyal and true are taking over. My cousin has already come out of the woodwork this morning giving it large, when will they ever learn!

how long will the fa let them play on a tarmac runway tho,? and mores the point,the sprinklers will be a bugger to install

8 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I was present at this game, I can confirm there was no family section next to rovers fans 

• Like 3

P:age 13; the comments are making amusing reading. http://gaschat.co.uk/thread/12896/knowall-severncider-itks?page=13

It seems everyone has heard something. All th way up here i had a pal tell me a few weeks ago that UWE was on again with us getting th plot of land FREEHOLD in straight swap for Th Mem which UWE will build student lets on. I didnae ask who th fukk will own us tho :laugh: whether WAQ or a new bunch.

Well if the money "should" be available then it's as good as built. What great news.

These two versions of the story show Wael in two completely different ways. If the IoM consortium version, with Wael clinging on to a place on the new board but UWE not wanting him, is true, it shows that his time here was pretty much a failure and he will not be remembered kindly in years to come. If on the other hand, the Southampton construction story is true, it shows that against the odds Wael has managed to come up with the investment many of us never believed he would, and he'll go down in history as a hero. I wonder which it is? Maybe a third version will emerge.

You forgot the bit about him and the family saving us from looming administration?

I think the AQs wanted to OWN the UWE site.
Correct. They also wanted to buy an extra piece of land for a superstore and a hotel. The things they didn't like was the fact that UWE under the Higgs agreement would take all the money from the car park and a share of the food and drink outlets, Add to this we had to incorporate some teaching rooms and a gym which students could use and a jogging track. It actually benefitted them more than us. That is why it fell through, because Wael wanted all that to be ours, and I agree, the stadium has to make money for us, not UWE and that is why you need to buy the land