IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, BCFC11 said:

Well there you go, we have been beaten so many times in the cup by non league opposition, not only had I forgotten this one, I still can't remember it even now after being reminded of it!

Still, at least we make it to the first round these days,

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Courtesy of The Daily Mirror.

Charlton Athletic's signing of Anil Koc prompted many a guffaw.

It is reminiscent of the time that Manchester United were scouting Schalke's Christian Fuchs, a period that inspired a host of 'Fuchs off to Old Trafford?' headlines and a lot more sniggering.

But neither of those two even make it in to our top 20 of rude footballer names... and neither is Danny Shittu!

• 20) An early England one-cap wonder, Segar Bastard naturally went on to become a referee.
  • 19) Winger Wayne Wanklyn played in the same Reading side as keeper Steve Death.
  • 18) Famously lobbed by Nayim, David Seaman ’s nickname at Arsenal was ‘H’ – short for Harry Monk. Another goalkeeper, Stanislav Seman , was in the Czech side which won Olympic gold in 1980.
  • 17) Filipino keeper Alphonse Areola has been linked with Manchester United and Tottenham after impressing at Paris St Germain.
  • 16) Former Grasshoppers striker Andre Muff was a former Switzerland team-mate of Bernt Haas .
  • 15) Briefly in the limelight with Independiente and Celta Vigo, Argentinean striker Mario Turdo is currently without a club.
  • 14) Roberto Martinez’s Wigan reign began to go wrong the moment his move for Chilean centre back Waldo Ponce broke down last year. Instead Ponce joined the best-named team in Chile – O’Higgins.
  • 13) Recently assistant manager at Bury, former centre back Peter Shirtliff ’s name caused giggles at Sheffield Wednesday, Charlton, Wolves and Barnsley.
  • 12) One of Kevin Keegan’s worst signings, Dutch winger Brian Pinas made one substitute appearance in nearly two years before returning to Feyenoord.
  • 11) Finally retired at nearly 40, it’s a lasting regret that Czech defender Milan Fukal failed a week’s trial with Leeds in 2006.
  • 10) Part of the Dutch side thumped 4-1 by England at Wembley in Euro 96, Johan de Kock won an unlucky 13 caps for Holland.
  • 9) A £5m disaster from the John Barnes/Kenny Dalglish management team at Celtic, Rafael Scheidt started only three league games for the Bhoys and later joined Botafogo. He lived up to his name.
  • ? Briefly linked with the Liverpool vacancy before Kenny Dalglish returned, former Brazil defender Argelico ***** is, unsurprisingly, known as Argel.
  • 7) Chelsea disappointed everyone in 2009 by dropping their interest in Independiente keeper Fabian Assman.
  • 6) The number one club in the Peruvian Andes, widely criticised in the mid-‘00s for moving their stadium to the city of Cerro de Pasco, 4,380 above sea level, are named after a local tribe… Deportivo Wanka.
  • 5) Long linked with a Premier League move, time is running out for an English club to snap up the services of Marseille right back Rod Fanni.
  • 4) Germany’s Under-20 manager, a former East German international and one-club man with Dynamo Dresden, is named Ralf Minge .
  • 3) While at Benfica, Germany keeper Hans-Jorg Butt was briefly understudy to former Portugal No.1 Quim .
  • 2) Fulham boss Martin Jol’s brothers Richard and Cornelius are known as Dick and Cock . “What’s so funny about this?” the scary Dutchman once raged to a Tottenham press conference, as journos stifled their giggles. “Cock is a common name in the Netherlands.”
  • 1) The former Germany striker who enlivened the video for Baddiel and Skinner’s Three Lions remake in ’88, Stefan Kuntz has embraced his name’s brilliance since becoming general manager of Kaiserslautern, by signing both Danny Fuchs and Florian Dick .

Have we missed out your favourite rude football name (and before you ask, we think Ars Bandit is a hoax)? 

Joyous.

4 hours ago, RedM said:

Their relegation will be one of those ‘where were you’ moments for years to come. I was at Crawley, I can’t even remember the result or anything about the match only that it was glorious weather as our attention was elsewhere! I was having my first experience of Coach One (!) and the return to Bristol was party time, a great laugh ( yes really, they all hate the Gas with passion I didn’t think was possible ).

I returned home to discover all the talk was about the Radio Bristol phone in, obviously I had been blissfully unaware. Someone kindly posted a link on here and it certainly extended the celebration!

According to them some of us were in the Mansfield end.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Club and Country said:

Those YouTube videos are superb

thing with day they got relegated, it was actually the least likely outcome and almost impossible!!

I was having a little drink in The Welly at the time they went down and started coming out the ground. There was a lad sat outside the pub with a Mind The Gap tshirt on. Those Gurt'Teds hey :laughcont:

56 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

According to them some of us were in the Mansfield end.

Blimey, I was at our match that day, why didn’t I get an invite?

Was probably funnier though the travelling support went mental as the news came through.

Edited by RumRed

4 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Well there you go, we have been beaten so many times in the cup by non league opposition, not only had I forgotten this one, I still can't remember it even now after being reminded of it!

Still, at least we make it to the first round these days,

I’m surprised you can bring yourself to come on here...!

Seriously, don’t you ever get to the point where you think “WTF am I doing associating with such a rag ass outfit”..? 

I wouldn’t want many of your lot, if you went bust, but you seem ok. 

You should come to a game at Ashton Gate to compare and see just what level of contempt they treat you with over on the dark side..!

Seriously, I’d even shout you a ticket, on the proviso that you then post an honest and detailed description of your thoughts & comparisons on gas chat afterwards. 

Let me know if you fancy taking me up in the offer and coming as our guest. 

Edited by Bar BS3
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Swede said:

I know its slightly off the time frame but seeing their 9:0 Spurs capitulation is like a fine wine. It gets better with age. They look more of a pub team every time it comes up.

NINE NIL ?

NINE ?

NINE ?

ahhhhh you must mean this one.......

One.....Two.......three, four, five.........six ,seven , eight , nine..............Tottenham 

7 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

NINE NIL ?

NINE ?

NINE ?

ahhhhh you must mean this one.......

One.....Two.......three, four, five.........six ,seven , eight , nine..............Tottenham 

I remember on the MOTD commentary, just before the final whistle blew Motty enthused: “It’s Perryman, he’s looking for TEN..”

Happy days!

• Haha 1

For me, the funniest thing was that the day they departed the football league, it was really unexpected.  The sags had to lose and everyone around them had to win.  Relegation seemed really unlikely until I started looking at the 'as it stands' tables mid second half.  The seemingly impossible was becoming more and more likely and then Sir Colin popped up and scored the famous goal.  I too remembering not being able to stop listening to Twentyman that afternoon. The day OTIB became reality ?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

For me, the funniest thing was that the day they departed the football league, it was really unexpected.  The sags had to lose and everyone around them had to win.  Relegation seemed really unlikely until I started looking at the 'as it stands' tables mid second half.  The seemingly impossible was becoming more and more likely and then Sir Colin popped up and scored the famous goal.  I too remembering not being able to stop listening to Twentyman that afternoon. The day OTIB became reality ?

Was very unlikely indeed but I had a strong inkling that day that the almost impossible was going to happen, so putting my money where my mouth was (albeit not much) put £5 on all the teams around them to win plus a Mansfield win, then another £5 on the fewers to go down, returned just over £400, Happy Days!

• Like 1

I remember our game at Crawley was a dead rubber match and I was so confident they would get the point they needed that I didn't even bother following the football that night (I live in China) Then I was drifting off to sleep when I got a text from my boss saying "better than promotion Luke?" I instantly knew what had happened and rushed to my old iPad for confirmation. One of them beautiful "where were you when..." Moments!

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

A bit before my time but why was this 2nd div game on match of the day?

The contract between the old FL and the BBC stipulated that Beeb had to show certain amounts of games from Div 2 and even the odd one from DIv 3.  I remember we were on MOTD during the 75/76 promotion season.  A 4-1 win against York City.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1