IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

19 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

We did that night :)

Done much since? I wouldn’t count coming out of ‘division 5’ or division 4 as achievements worth cooing about....oh but you were so close to winning vs Donny Rovers at the Millennium Stadium in 2007 - wouldn’t that have given you a basement promotion (via the play offs) and cup double?! And you lost in the final of the same competition at Wembley in 1990? Another ‘double’ opportunity missed - oh well, it wasn’t to be.....you can carrying on crowing about your monumental 1972 Watney Cup triumph....but, Heffernan bursting your bubble is good Sunday evening stuff...watch again here....

Edited by BS4 on Tour...

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Done much since? I wouldn’t count coming out of ‘division 5’ or division 4 as achievements worth cooing about....oh but you were so close to winning vs Donny Rovers at the Millennium Stadium in 2007 - wouldn’t that have given you a basement promotion (via the play offs) and cup double?! Oh well, it wasn’t to be.....you can carrying on crowing about your monumental Watney Cup triumph....but, Heffernan bursting your bubble is good Sunday evening stuff...watch again here....

Was that the team that used to be called Doncaster Rovers before they rebranded as Doncaster United?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Done much since? I wouldn’t count coming out of ‘division 5’ or division 4 as achievements worth cooing about....oh but you were so close to winning vs Donny Rovers at the Millennium Stadium in 2007 - wouldn’t that have given you a basement promotion (via the play offs) and cup double?! And you lost in the final of the same competition at Wembley in 1990? Another ‘double’ opportunity missed - oh well, it wasn’t to be.....you can carrying on crowing about your monumental 1972 Watney Cup triumph....but, Heffernan bursting your bubble is good Sunday evening stuff...watch again here....

Ahhh, my favourite ever cup final, brings back some great memories  Sometimes the journey is so much more satisfying than getting there :)

Edited by Miah Dennehy
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

We did that night :)

I hate to say it but in my 35 years of following city that is the one night when you truly had the upper hand over us . In a game that matter most in a season when we went toe to toe every week you got the 3 points that might as we’ll been a 100. In the+years that have passed the gap has got bigger every year but that night still hurts like ****.....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Ah right, we have something similar at the Mem, it's called the car park, it has several portacabins some of which you can buy scarves & rossettes in and once you walk through the 'car park' you can go through the turnstiles where we have 'pasty huts'. Please don't let the name mislead you though, these 'pasty huts' don't only sell pasties, they do pies and sausage rolls as well :)

Miah, you have consistency in your belief of the unbelievable and I admire you for that, but I think you should change your forum name. Those who know anything about Saxon history (and who doesn’t?) will have heard of Æthelred the Unready. His name is a bit misleading as his  epithet does not derive from the modern word "unready", but rather from the Old English unræd (meaning "poorly advised"). Perhaps you could change your name to “ Miah the unready” 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Ahhh, my favourite ever cup final, brings back some great memories  Sometimes the journey is so much more satisfying than getting there :)

Because it involved the last time you managed to beat us..? Over a decade ago...?! 

3 hours ago, onehowie said:

Can anyone find any footage of that Chris Garland header...I think it was the 6-1 victory back in the eighties....possibly Anglo Scottish cup or something. That must rate right up with the best piss takes ever...even better than the Matty Taylor transfer.

Sorry Miah, but you've rekindled a great memory mentioning that.

Just for you Howie ?

FB_IMG_1539540354840.jpg

• Like 3

This comment on the posts site cracked me up. 

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-how-attractive-bristol-rovers-2094981#comments-section

"Fanatical

What a pity OldFrank does not think before he writes.

BRFC has minimum debt and the fact that there is borrowing against the Stadium has no relevance whatsoever to a potential takeover. 

The Club has an underlying value in its latent support which has been waiting to be realized for years and is only held back by its lack of facilities. 

An investment of £20 million at the Mem or £40 million at a new stadium would bring the sort of returns being witnessed at Ashton and at places like Brighton.

That is what investment is all about  "to invest is to distribute money in the expectation of some benefit in the future" Wikipedia."

• Haha 2

On 13 October 2018 at 17:40, BCFC11 said:

Can’t see it myself, he’s the best thing since slice bread to most of them so won’t have the majority of the fan base on his back, and let’s be honest they’ve got no money to pay him off if they did sack him. Would be hilarious if they did mind, can you imagine Wally and co trying to find a replacement.

Banners out on the ring road by the Willy Wicket.

36 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

And you went straight back down the season after !

They managed three seasons of second tier football in the 90s, finishing higher than us in one of them. Around Easter '93 we beat them at AG and this helped relegate them shortly after.

They have not been back to the second tier since. Rovers have only had three spells in the second tier (90/91 to 92/93; 74/5 to 80/81; 53/54 to 61/62) spending fewer seasons at this level each time.

If/when they next reach this level, they'll do damn well to last more than one season in the Championship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alan Dicks said:

And you went straight back down the season after !

They had an average of 6,200 on promotion.

Then averaged around 5,800 in the division above - the second tier FFS.

Loyal and true, large fan base.............my arse.

Edited by bcfc01
  • Like 1