IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

21 hours ago, richwwtk said:

No it isn't. We are in a period that would rank in the best 10-20% of our history, the fewers are in a period that would rank with the bottom 10-20% of theirs.

Things have never been better in that respect :P

Comparing the two clubs we are of course doing better , but as said we have always historically done better when Rovers have exceeded their potential, and being almost bottom of the third tier is very poor for a City the size of Bristol. You might prefer to use Rovers as a guide  as to how we are doing in comparison, which I wouldn't , better I think we look up rather than down.   

What are you frightened of? Surely a better Rovers will surely get a bit of competition back, passion and some cracking local derbies again.  

12 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

but as said we have always historically done better when Rovers have exceeded their potential

Our most successful season for decades occurred whilst they were in Non League. Before Rovers had even joined the Football League we had finished runners up in the top flight and been FA Cup Finalists...since then? 

Whilst Rovers were fighting for a L1 play off position a couple of years back we were flirting with Relegation in the Championship in a season that included our worst ever run of defeats.

The vast majority of League Bristol Derbies have taken place in the 3rd division.

Wheres the evidence that Bristol Rovers exceeding their potential or at least competing in the same division as us has been beneficial for Bristol City Football Club?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

There seems to have been a mass awakening on their forum following Steve Hamer's obvious nonsense yesterday.

Better late than never.

Sounds about the right time for them to release a new, non substance, stadium plan announcement. 

That usually wins them all over and keeps them quite for 5 years until it proves to be full of shite. 

• Haha 1

I love reading this thread, every day it brightens up my day. I can't wait for the next guffaw, its hilarious.

On a side note; I watched the F A Cup highlights and I thought how gloomy the picture was, that can't have been the T.V. link surely. It must have been their dismal lighting casting shadows everywhere. It looked like every light bulb was only 40watts! What a dump.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Swede said:

I love reading this thread, every day it brightens up my day. I can't wait for the next guffaw, its hilarious.

On a side note; I watched the F A Cup highlights and I thought how gloomy the picture was, that can't have been the T.V. link surely. It must have been their dismal lighting casting shadows everywhere. It looked like every light bulb was only 40watts! What a dump.

That’s because they couldn’t afford to pay the electric bill . And asked the thousands upon thousands of gasheads to each bring a candle. 

Edited by Red Army 75

35 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Our most successful season for decades occurred whilst they were in Non League. Before Rovers had even joined the Football League we had finished runners up in the top flight and been FA Cup Finalists...since then? 

Whilst Rovers were fighting for a L1 play off position a couple of years back we were flirting with Relegation in the Championship in a season that included our worst ever run of defeats.

The vast majority of League Bristol Derbies have taken place in the 3rd division.

Wheres the evidence that Bristol Rovers exceeding their potential or at least competing in the same division as us has been beneficial for Bristol City Football Club?

Once again I find myself concurring with you POHH, "the voice of reason" I couldn't care less if we never played them again such is the gulf between the teams both on and off the pitch.

I don't buy this "if we do well, you do well" at all.

The gulf is so wide; an example of that is last season's League Cup Semi Final, did that spur them on, I don't think so, all you had was some small minded sag bleating on national radio about the other team in Bristol, which made him and his club look very stupid indeed.

Similarly, if they do well in the Checkatrade Cup will that have any bearing on our season? I doubt very much.  

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Swede said:

Now that they have Championship ready sprinklers, I am sure the Premier League ready floodlights will soon be installed.

21 minutes ago, phantom said:

Just listened to Hamer's interview, they really are in the shit !!

Hard to feel any sympathy - in the depths of our despair in 1982 they cried like babies when the local council offered us financial support - so the offer was withdrawn, then they tried to steal Ashton Gate when we were at our most vulnerable...pretty despicable behaviour from a club that likes to portray itself as the most popular in Bristol, loved around the world with ever so loyal and few (sorry, true) supporters...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

8 minutes ago, Swede said:

That bloke must have no scruples at all or he's being handsomely rewarded.

I know the majority of the fewers are half wits but it would take even the thickest of witless irene tupping half breed to believe he's talking anything but a load of henbury.

Not mutually exclusive.

GT sounded very frustrated with the lack of answers !

3 hours ago, Unan said:

What we’ve said for years.. they were blind but now they see.

blueblooded Avatar
blueblooded
Youth Team
9 hours ago
swissgas said:
oldie said:
u are certainly right about business methods in the USA. I've talked to people here who expressed an interest in acquiring Rovers and it didn't take long to find out they knew all the tricks of the trade. Selling long term season ticket debentures and refinancing assets was the main thrust of their strategy and by doing this they could have got Nick Higgs and co their loans repaid but after that, in reality, it was all down to chance which is why I didn't pursue it. 

That is why I've been so dead against the 100% debt finance and no equity method which Dwane Sports have used.  When I brought this up last year many fans disagreed and said "how do you know they won't capitalise their loans at some point" but now I think it is clear they will not do so. The purchase of Rovers was an opportunity for someone with access to cash to take advantage of someone who desperately needed cash and, as you say, that is what entrepreneurs do. 

I am making no judgement on the nationality of our owners but merely pointing out they have a particular type of business culture just as business people from Japan or Brazil or Sweden would operate in their own specific way. The majority of fans, understandably, tend to have limited experience in these matters and may find it hard to accept that, whatever their nationality, people who are smiling and charming one minute can turn hard and impersonal in an instant. And that every day securities are called in by lenders leading more often than not to shock and horror among those who had convinced themselves it would never happen.

It is hard to decide whether to make posts like this Oldie but I think fans should be aware of what is possible. 

So basically we've been taken over by stealthy asset strippers. I did have this concern a while back when they were taking on all this backroom staff as a false sign of intent.

Exactly what I have been telling friends since they took over, they saw an opportunity to make a swift killing with the Sainsburys' sale, that didn't come off but they get the land whatever happens next.

3 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

Comparing the two clubs we are of course doing better , but as said we have always historically done better when Rovers have exceeded their potential, and being almost bottom of the third tier is very poor for a City the size of Bristol. You might prefer to use Rovers as a guide  as to how we are doing in comparison, which I wouldn't , better I think we look up rather than down.   

What are you frightened of? Surely a better Rovers will surely get a bit of competition back, passion and some cracking local derbies again.  

I was replaying to you saying that Bristol football is in the doldrums, I was just pointing out that, historically, we are a long way from being in the doldrums, and the fact that the fewers are is irrelevant to us (and Bristol football in general IMO).

It is rubbish to claim that them doing well makes us do better, there is no correlation whatsoever when comparing charts of our league history and theirs.

I'm not frightened of anything, this is football, nothing to be scared of. I just don't want the fewers hanging around like a bad smell.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Will never understand the people who say we need them to push us on, like shit do we. They are shit and always will be unless an actual billionaire takes them over then they have no hope. 

The fewers like to point out that there is ‘only’ 1 division between us, but we are quite literally light years ahead of them, just like Man City are to us but they won’t admit that will they.

As a fair few of us have been saying pretty much since Wally took over they should be VERY worried, last nights radio interview confirmed it as such, yet they won’t do F’All about it, get Wally to say we’re in talks with someone about the training ground/stadium and it’ll shut them up for a couple of months.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

I was replaying to you saying that Bristol football is in the doldrums, I was just pointing out that, historically, we are a long way from being in the doldrums, and the fact that the fewers are is irrelevant to us (and Bristol football in general IMO).

It is rubbish to claim that them doing well makes us do better, there is no correlation whatsoever when comparing charts of our league history and theirs.

I'm not frightened of anything, this is football, nothing to be scared of. I just don't want the fewers hanging around like a bad smell.

How the Hell can anyone have a reasonable discussion when the other uses such negative language such as 'fewers' and hanging around like a bad smell? We are talking about Bristol Rovers, perhaps you might have relatives friends  who support them and perfectly level headed reasonable folk who don't deserve to have their team go under. In fact your sort of rhetoric only serves to convince me that you are either stupid or just 'fishing' for 'likes' either way you have succeeded.

I have looked up the number of times we have played them since the beginning of time, and as expected we come out on top, I go back a few years and the list certainly reminds me of some fantastic derbies  we had, and not all going our way of course, crowds in excess of 30,00 too, but you don't want that do you? 

The point I was making about a good Rovers resulted in a better City is a valid one ask anyone who is old enough to remember.

• Confused 2
  • Hmmm 3