IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

I am not sure about the two legged semi final, I heard the local news up here in the North East where I am working this week and they said that Sunderland are "one game away" from Wembley. I don't know if that is lazy local journalism from them and the Points West people though? 

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Quite agree. The boycott is important. Whilst the JPT or whatever it is called these days was always a bit shit, it was a genuine chance for clubs in the bottom two divisions to get to a cup final.

These days it seems to be more about trying to develop youth players from across the globe by giving them exposure to first team football.

That said, one of the Fewers I work with is excited about the draw for the next round and hopes they get to the final as he'll go to that.

His justification is, "we are going down this season, so a day out at a final would at least be something to look forward to'.

And I can kind of understand that.

Yes.

Boycotting the early rounds to show the just contempt for the way that the competition has been ruined is spot on.  There really should be zero attendance at these games.

But if your team is in a rare final at Wembley, however tainted the competition may be, you are going to want to go.  Who would not?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, myol'man said:

Attendance: 2,016 (199 away).

Well done to the blue few for keeping up the boycott  :clap:

But it’s all a bit of a joke, isn’t it, if they then all flock to Wembley..?

If they get to Wembley and only a few thousand attend, then I will applaud their boycott. 

Not turning up for a midweek game against an unattractive basement level team, on a freezing cold January night is easy, in the name of a “boycott”. Let’s see how their principles hold up when/if it really counts..! 

8 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Only game in the semi final now, they could draw Sunderland away ???

Which, technically would be their final of sorts.

A chance to play in a big stadium, in front of 11,500 fans who will doubtless be impressed by the 250 who travel on a Tuesday night, and will go out of their way to say that the Fewers are far friendlier and less arrogant than City fans. Oh, almost forgot, they'll have created the best atmosphere the SOL has EVER seen.

All of which will be entirely true of course.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, finbarr_in_z said:

Gas to help prevent re-offending https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46970691

Discuss...........

Considering that they have polled top of the list for the amount of offenders in the past (all of which were actually Teds in disguise) they should add a lot of value to this. 

Newcastle are involved too I see so they are not alone when it comes to the punching of horses.

58 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

But it’s all a bit of a joke, isn’t it, if they then all flock to Wembley..?

If they get to Wembley and only a few thousand attend, then I will applaud their boycott. 

Not turning up for a midweek game against an unattractive basement level team, on a freezing cold January night is easy, in the name of a “boycott”. Let’s see how their principles hold up when/if it really counts..! 

It might be the last time they will ever get the chance to visit Wembley ever again if the fraudsters pull the plug. Makes a change to visit a hotel as opposed to a camp site.

Stuart's story

soaps_eastenders_ian_beale_3.jpg

After a string of failed relationships left me homeless and sent me into the clutch of drug and drink addictions and petty theft to escape the reality of my situation I felt I only had my dog to turn to, my faithful companion in times of need.

I was begging for drink money in Salisbury city centre when a northern man in a tracksuit came up to me.  He started asking how I was and what the dog was called.  He seemed very interested in my dog as I remember; which was nice of him.

Anyway when he heard my story he said that there was a place he knew in Bristol where I could get regular hot food and me and the dog could have a run about on a field, others used to join us and we'd kick a ball about.

After a few weeks of this he said he would look after the dog whilst we kicked the ball about, and if I did it on Saturday afternoons then he could even pay me as there was a special fund set up by a Mr Qadi.  I even got some new clothes for Saturdays.

Life is now great, I get to sleep in the clubhouse and have enough money for two pasties a day and lots of hot drinks.  And I am off the booze and drugs.  I stil wonder what happened to my dog though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

14 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Why they go to such lengths to make up so much bullshit is beyond me :facepalm:

Gaschat....

One of my everlasting football memories was signing up for the T.A. in Putney and upon leaving grabbed a pint in a pub near Putney Station. It was full of Rovers fans who were playing Fulham in a cup. The volume of fans was impressive even for a Chelsea fan. The Rovers fans were so friendly and vocal. I didn’t even know where Bristol was. I knew Bristol made good music. I checked the news later and Rovers won. Was happy for those fans. Years later I ended up living in Bristol and became a season ticket holder and now love the Gas more than my childhood team. It’s important if Rovers make the final fans travel in numbers and make Rovers fans of the future coz you never know the impression you can make. Altenatively, travelled to watch my mates team Brighton play Bristol City in 1987 and remember the sh** fans being absolute lady gardens. FTG 

Oddbod bullshitter.

21 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Oddbod bullshitter.

Indeed Nogbad.  The only time the sags have won in the cup at Fulham was in Nov 1970, 2-1, which means our bullshitting sag must be late 60s at least.  Do men in their late 60s use the infantile expression lady garden?

Incidentally we did play Brighton in 1987.  We won 5-2 at Ashton Gate, 28 Dec..

I know it's too much to ask of their pea sized brains, but if they're going to make up ridiculous stories they could at least get the timelines and historical facts correct.

Edited by Malago
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Sunderland and Pompey are on an upward trajectory. Their fans may feel that they won’t be competing in the EFL Trophy for a very long time after this season (unless their own under 21s end up in it).

Rovers on the other hand will probably participate in this competition that has been ruined by the FA for many years to come. I would actually have a great deal of respect for their fans IF they boycotted the final, especially as trips to Wembley are not a yearly occurrence.

To do so however would take principles and a backbone. So with that in mind and knowing Gasheads as we do, I expect they’ll not only take 35-40k but will also boast about how many more were locked out

Edited it for you Peter :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cheesleysmate said:

It might be the last time they will ever get the chance to visit Wembley ever again if the fraudsters pull the plug. Makes a change to visit a hotel as opposed to a camp site.

Let’s hope they lose their semi final and are deprived that “moment in the sunshine” then! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes.

Boycotting the early rounds to show the just contempt for the way that the competition has been ruined is spot on.  There really should be zero attendance at these games.

But if your team is in a rare final at Wembley, however tainted the competition may be, you are going to want to go.  Who would not?

Quite true Eddie, but still a nice stick to beat them with isn't it !

They appear to have a few on asschat who differ mind, but quite the minority...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Let’s hope they lose their semi final and are deprived that “moment in the sunshine” then! 

Do they get a share of gate receipts ? Presume so. That being the case the competition deserves the big two in the final with proper fans so I vote Pompey away rather than they get a piece of the 40k at Sunderland

1 hour ago, Malago said:

Indeed Nogbad.  The only time the sags have won in the cup at Fulham was in Nov 1970, 2-1, which means our bullshitting sag must be late 60s at least.  Do men in their late 60s use the infantile expression lady garden?

If I remember correctly they won away at Fulham about 10 years ago in the FA Cup.

It was on a Sunday, they were spanking their monkeys for weeks.

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Yes.

The early rounds of this competition have always been poorly attended Eddie, even before the introduction of under 21 teams.

If there was a final where hardly anyone showed up that would send a message to the FA. If Rovers do get to the final and their fans want to go then fair enough, that’s up to them, but they can’t then complain if they find themselves playing our youngsters competitively in a few years time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

The early rounds of this competition have always been poorly attended Eddie, even before the introduction of under 21 teams.

If there was a final where hardly anyone showed up that would send a message to the FA. If Rovers do get to the final and their fans want to go then fair enough, that’s up to them, but they can’t then complain if they find themselves playing our youngsters competitively in a few years time. 

Exactly this, no point in any boycott whatsoever if your going to show up at the main event anyway! Just because everyone’s youth teams have been knocked out doesn’t make it ok to suddenly be interested again, an empty Wembley is the only way they will take notice as I’m fairly certain they couldn’t give a toss at how many rock up to watch the fewers v West Ham u9’s

3 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Maybe the message the FA would get would see them scrapping the competition entirely. Not a bad thing IMO.

Would prefer to see the EFL Cup just for EFL clubs, i.e. not the Premiership sides.

10 minutes ago, TwoSheds said:

Watching Burton v man city yes I know they are 9 0 down but on Burtons bench is sir Colin Daniels wonder if he gets on. Nice to see him play 

But he plays for Peterborough :blink:

Edit; He’s Just moved there?

20 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Why they go to such lengths to make up so much bullshit is beyond me :facepalm:

Gaschat....

One of my everlasting football memories was signing up for the T.A. in Putney and upon leaving grabbed a pint in a pub near Putney Station. It was full of Rovers fans who were playing Fulham in a cup. The volume of fans was impressive even for a Chelsea fan. The Rovers fans were so friendly and vocal. I didn’t even know where Bristol was. I knew Bristol made good music. I checked the news later and Rovers won. Was happy for those fans. Years later I ended up living in Bristol and became a season ticket holder and now love the Gas more than my childhood team. It’s important if Rovers make the final fans travel in numbers and make Rovers fans of the future coz you never know the impression you can make. Altenatively, travelled to watch my mates team Brighton play Bristol City in 1987 and remember the sh** fans being absolute lady gardens. FTG 

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Oddbod bullshitter.

5 hours ago, Malago said:

Incidentally we did play Brighton in 1987.  We won 5-2 at Ashton Gate, 28 Dec..

I know it's too much to ask of their pea sized brains, but if they're going to make up ridiculous stories they could at least get the timelines and historical facts correct.

Just to play devil’s advocate for a moment...the ‘Chelsea fan’ didn’t say the sags were playing at Fulham in the FA cup - the fan said in ‘a cup’ - so they could have been referring to when Roverzzzz won at Fulham in ‘a cup’ in 1996....and why couldn’t the fan be in their late 60s now?! Plenty of old ‘uns use immature language - and there’s nothing in the post to say the Chelsea fan is male - you’ve assumed that as well.

Having said all that, the post was on a gas forum, so it’s undoubtedly bullcrap.....

6 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Do they get a share of gate receipts ? Presume so. That being the case the competition deserves the big two in the final with proper fans so I vote Pompey away rather than they get a piece of the 40k at Sunderland

In that case, let’s hope they lose away to Bury..! ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1