IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I don't care that Rovers aren't there, but I think Pompey v Sunderland is the worst thing for football. Many City fans have had a great time watching this competition and I suspect/hope that most of them remember that rather than think '**** it, not our problem anymore'

I think I agree with you.

I certainly hope City are never in it again, but Pompey vs Sunderland is exactly what the sponsors would have wanted and it will be a big crowd at Wembley, completely undermining any boycotts made by other clubs during earlier rounds.

The current format is, let's be honest, a slap in the face to the lower league clubs by making them play against u23 sides in 'competitive matches' especially with the rules that mean the League 1 and 2 sides can only make 4-5 changes maximum, so they aren't even allowed to field an u23 themselves without punishment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No offence to Sunderland but their performance was nowhere near Championship standard and the Mackems probably know that. Far too good for the scum certainly but, with all possible respect to them, not a 'Championship performance' as described by the methane snorters. FFS, like the cave dwellers would know what a Championship performance looked like! 

IF Sunderland came back up, I've no doubt they would strengthen and compete at Championship level but they wouldn't be naive enough to call their performance a 'Championship' one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I don't care that Rovers aren't there, but I think Pompey v Sunderland is the worst thing for football. Many City fans have had a great time watching this competition and I suspect/hope that most of them remember that rather than think '**** it, not our problem anymore'

To be honest, I did enjoy the early years. Bolton was fantastic, that first trip to the old (proper) Wembley . Then the following  defeat's against Mansfield and Stoke were ok, by the time Carlisle came around it had started to lose its interest. Walsall was just a day on the piss in Hoxton with mates I'd been going to football with for years, the win felt like a foregone conclusion and I honestly hope we never qualify to play in it again.
That said, I think it could be a brilliant tournament again, for smaller teams (and I say that meaning no disrespect to anyone) to have the chance to play at our national stadium is something that should embraced by the EFL, and make it a cup worth winning again
For me It might be a case of familiarity breeds contempt ,  and the current farce of shoehorning Prem kids is a joke , it needs a revamp if it is going to continue.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

how the **** are the two biggest clubs in division one getting to the final the worst thing for football? guaranteed sellout I would have thought ……...plus the met police horses can sleep easy in there beds.....

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BobbyC said:

Get on ebay and buy a loaded firestick for £45.

You can watch anything you want to watch as i am now.

Sorry not the about the fewers, but I have a fire stick and can’t get any channel on it, how do I get BT sports. Ta in advance.

2 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Out of interest why? Both are lower league clubs which is what the competition was originally meant for. It's not like it's one of the u23 sides in the final, which, if it was, I would agree would be a kick in the balls.

Yes it probably is the sponsors dream final, but let's be fair, the numbers were always going to be high for the actual final no matter which two teams were going to be competing in it.

Even the last time we were in it (won it along with the League 1 Championship btw), the attendance figures weren't great for us until the latter stages. The competition has been devalued since the u23s have been put into it (wrongly may I add - I wrote a lengthy post about it when it was first announced), but a day out at Wembley is always going to sell well, regardless of who is in it.

A well attended final is a good thing for that competiton - something it wouldn't be if it was an u23 side, as people wouldn't be arsed with it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

how the **** are the two biggest clubs in division one getting to the final the worst thing for football? guaranteed sellout I would have thought ……...plus the met police horses can sleep easy in there beds.....

Because of this. The police horses might sleep well, but I doubt the police themselves are overly chuffed with the final! (apart from the overtime of course)

11 minutes ago, Taz said:

Out of interest why? Both are lower league clubs which is what the competition was originally meant for. It's not like it's one of the u23 sides in the final, which, if it was, I would agree would be a kick in the balls.

Yes it probably is the sponsors dream final, but let's be fair, the numbers were always going to be high for the actual final no matter which two teams were going to be competing in it.

Even the last time we were in it (won it along with the League 1 Championship btw), the attendance figures weren't great for us until the latter stages. The competition has been devalued since the u23s have been put into it (wrongly may I add - I wrote a lengthy post about it when it was first announced), but a day out at Wembley is always going to sell well, regardless of who is in it.

A well attended final is a good thing for that competition - something it wouldn't be if it was an u23 side, as people wouldn't be arsed with it.

Because I honestly believe that the 'success' of the competition will soon be touted as a reason to bring in Premier league U23 teams into the 92. 

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Because I honestly believe that the 'success' of the competition will soon be touted as a reason to bring in Premier league U23 teams into the 92. 

I don't think it will. Attendances haven't improved since the change in format, if anything they've dropped off. Introducing more u23 teams would kill it off completely. 

I think the best thing that sponsors could do, is scrap the u23s, and go back to the original format (League 1/2). That may increase attendance figures slightly.

It's a great competiton in the respect that it gives the lower league clubs a chance to win something, and get a day out at Wembley. You won't see the benefits (financially) until the latter stages of the competiton though.

What they do need to do though I feel, is ask supporters of the lower league clubs how they feel that attendances can be improved. Something they obviously didn't do the first time around!!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

I have no ideal what your on a about neither why dont u concentrate on trying to avoid div 2 football  instead of coming on here blathering on about tinpot attendances boycotts and under 23s no one remoteley intrested

974 pages suggests otherwise- have a good night :)

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

I have no ideal what your on a about neither why dont u concentrate on trying to avoid div 2 football  instead of coming on here blathering on about tinpot attendances boycotts and under 23s no one remoteley intrested

To be fair to Miah . He sees this thread for what it is , a piss take and doesn’t take himself too seriously it seems. He’s a good addition to the forum . Especially for a fewer ?

• Like 16

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

embraced by the EFL, and make it a cup worth winning again

Random idea and haven't fully thought this through. What if the FA and EFL scrapped the EFL trophy. But then scrapped Prem teams from the League Cup. Essentially blend the EFL Trophy and League Cup and then rebadge it as the "EFL Cup", only open to the 72 EFL teams. None of the Prem teams care about the LC anyway.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, cidercity said:

Sorry not the about the fewers, but I have a fire stick and can’t get any channel on it, how do I get BT sports. Ta in advance.

mine came ready loaded with kodi and mobdro and are fantastic for sport,films,atlantic etc.

I have not tried these as mine was already loaded

https://www.firesticktricks.com/install-kodi-on-fire-stick.html

https://www.firesticktricks.com/mobdro-firestick.html

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Well plenty commented on the EFL trophy, so a fair few are still interested :)

Correction: a few commented on the competition, others mentioned it in reference to Sunderland's win at the rugby ground, probably giving the impression of interest in the EFL trophy.